Newcastle Tracking Belgian International Striker

Newcastle will be in the market for a couple fo strikers soon, with French striker Emmanuel Riviere unlikely to make the grade on Tyneside and veteran Papiss Cisse probably being allowed to move either in January or next summer.

So in that context it´s not too surprising that the Chronicle is reporting that Newcastle are interested in 21 year-old Marseille striker Michy Batshuayi.

Olympique Marseille's Michy Batshuayi celebrates after scoring against Lille during their French Ligue 1 soccer match at the Velodrome stadium in Marseille, December 21, 2014. REUTERS/Jean-Paul Pelissier (FRANCE - Tags: SPORT SOCCER)

Michy Batshuayi – Marseille striker

Batshuayi is of Congolese descent and was eligible for the DR Congo through his parents, but earlier this year he elected to play for Belgium.

The 6ft tall striker made his International debut in March in Belgium’s home match against Cyprus in the UEFA Euro 2016 qualifying game when he replaced Christian Benteke in the 77th minute.

Three minutes later Michy scored his first goal for his country in the 5-0 win.

Michy played 13 times for the Belgium U21 side scoring seven goals and he’s  a highly regarded young striker.

While still in Belgium Michy played 120 times for Standard Liege with 44 goals and 13 assists and while in France he´s so far played 36 games with 15 goals and 2 assists – so this lad can score the goals.

Newcastle scouts are reported to have been watching the striker and keeping tabs on his performances in France.

Michy has plenty of speed and he’s  a powerful player who could be well suited to the physical game in England.

He’s at an age when Newcastle like to sign players because they can improve on Tyneside and quickly add to their value in the transfer market.

From what we can tell Michy would be a good signing for us depending of course on what fee Marseille would want for him.

He would not come cheap and he has a contract at Marseille that runs through the summer of 2019.

Newcastle did some business with Marseille last summer to get Florian Thauvin to Tyneside, and big money will again be available in January and next summer for Steve McClaren to further improve the Newcastle squad.

What do you think?

• the broons

Sep 30, 2015 at 9:59 AM

We should have signed this kid when he was at standard liege, would’ve cost less than 10 million and had potential to become another benteke like player easily.

I still wonder with Riverie, hes never had a tremendous goal record but he has been rated quite highly everywhere he’s been and has more about him to survive in the premier league than what thauvin and cabella did.

• the broons

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:01 AM

Also I think I will start noting down the names who constantly criticise Sissoko to see if they treat Thauvin as harshly.

Both no where near as good as they think, difference is one (sissoko) is suited to the prem, the other (thauvin) is a little boy that looks terrified when he has the ball.

• martoon

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:13 AM

I actually quite like Riviere. His all round play is good, he holds the ball up well, lays it off OK and generally makes a nuisance of himself with defenders. Of course the thing missing from his game is goals but I’m pretty sure that’s a confidence thing which hopefully Steve Black can address. From what I’ve seen Mirovic would be first choice but Riviere could be used as a similar type replacement when Mitrovic tires or gets sent off 😉

• Munster Mag

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Broon, we should ideally give Thauvin a chance but early signs are not good. Sissoko is a waster who has been defrauding us for quite some time now.

• hibbit

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM

mr broon i dont like sissoko but its more about attitude and at times his lazy play but i can see why we bought him he does look the part.. on the other hand cannot for the life of me see what carr see’s in thauvin weak to small to easy to push of the ball not looking like a prem player i would rather have given cabella another season

• Munster Mag

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Michy looks like the type of bloke that Swansea or Leicester would have on their team, terrorising Colo and Willo ! For that reason i say sign him up!

• martoon

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:22 AM

From previous topic – sickandtired @7
    I agree I don’t think he would or should be doing that either. However I was presuming that Tony Gale thought he was, hence the criticism!

• 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:24 AM

the chronic also say we are watching fekir and lacazette. fekir has done his cruciate and is out for months. lacazette would qualify for ncle as another one of carrs flops. 5 ft 9 does not like the cold. scored 27 league goals last season but 6 were penalties shanks too many shots. totally out of form this season only scored 1 of the two penalties he has taken and nothing else in all matches.

• lesh

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:30 AM

The broons

Those that slam Sissoko and Thauvin’ll be the same ones that pick out Colbeck and Obertan for stick.

They’ve got to have someone to vent their spleens on!

• hibbit

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:32 AM

lesh thats bullshit

• Tinman

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Never seen this kid play. Has the January transfer madness started already? Just wait for Mitrovic and Perez to form a partnership this season, you won’t be linking us with every Tom Dick and Harry then!

Maybe I wasn’t so crazy when I said we might be witnessing the fall of the premier league… http://forevernewcastle.com/english-teams-embarrassed-again/

• Slank

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:36 AM

martoon @ 3

I quite like Riviere too. He gives everything for the team.

He is more similar to Mitrovic than is Cisse.

If the future formation is 4-4-2 with Mitrovic and Perez up front then Riviere is the natural substitute for either.

• Slank

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Tinman @ 11

‘…Has the January transfer madness started already?.. ‘

To be fair I’m sure McClaren said something along the lines that he needed three transfer windows so it looks like we will have to put up with this January madness and then the next in the summer. And no doubt Charlie Austin will be mentioned in both.

• Munster Mag

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Munster Mag // Sep 30, 2015 at 9:57 AM

NUFC 83, good call on Obertan. A terrible player who has got away with murder earning the salary he does. He would be badly found out in the championship for his lack of aggression and running power. I made my mind up on him after about 3 games i think, maybe less. As for Sissoko, dont hold your breath. I was booed when I called him a fraud a couple of years ago but i didnt use the word lightly.
    Re Cabella v Thauvin, its certainly looking like Cabella would have done better, on season 2, compared to Thauvin. So far, Thauvin looks like another flimsy winger with a disposition that says ” if you look after me, I can be a genius and make you look like a scouting legend” . In reality, he will probably be hard work, and no more effective than that lazy sod who once ran less than a goalkeper in a game, HBA. Hopefully I’m wrong .

• Blofal

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Thauvin has been doing what he was bought to do…. which is try and create chances.

Unfortunately he is not used to the premier league yet though and loses the ball often because I think he is trying too hard to do that.

He is not terrified when he has the ball. He just needs to be given time to adjust. It’s far to soon to lay judgement on him.

And Riviere is perfect except for the bit about scoring. His hold up play is brilliant. As good as Mitrovic. If he can just stop snatching at shots he will be quite a good striker. I think under the new coaching staff he might come good.

Cisse however is terrible. Interesting Article in the Chronicle today about Tiote and Cisse being made to train in the afternoons and not with the main group. I’m not sure the truth of it but it’s concerning if its for any other reason than just being injured.

• Tinman

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:49 AM

@Slank,

Well at least nothing changes! I still don’t think Charlie Austin is worth over 10m, he is a bit of a lump. That’s just my opinion. But no point to talk about that, everyone has had their say about him

• Tinman

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:54 AM

@Blofal,

Both have been struggling with knocks so it would make sense that they are training there because of injury. I would be surprised if it was something else.

Maybe Riviere can surprise us all and have some good appearances off the bench

• Slank

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Tinman

Interestingly all talk of Austin dried up once Mitrovic and Perez took to the field together.

Austin is probably good in his own right but IMHO is not better than either Mitrovic or Perez.

• Tinman

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:57 AM

@Slank,

I just thought there were a lot of penalties and in the right place right time goals with him. Now that is a talent in itself, but it has to be proven over a couple of seasons in my opinion.

Perez might be our best player in a year or 2

• martoon

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:57 AM

I think the jury is still out on Thauvin. He started OK with a sub appearance and game against Northampton. Then he had two poor games but to be fair the whole team were poor in both of those games. I would imagine that he’s living in a hotel or rented house somewhere, not speaking English it is probably difficult to feel settled. This shouldn’t affect a professional but the fact is it does – hopefully as he feels more settled and learns the language then his confidence and game will improve!

• hibbit

Sep 30, 2015 at 10:59 AM

blofal….. maybe cabella needed a bit more time he would have had a year in the the prem under his belt……. now we have to start again with thauvin who needs a bit more time

• Slank

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:00 AM

I see Colback is struggling to be fit for Saturday. Was it his second half absence that enabled Chelsea to gain control of the midfield or just a coincidence ?

If Colback can’t make it I would prefer to see Mbemba alongside Anita with (I know it’s heresy) Williamson alongside Colo.

• Tinman

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:02 AM

@hibbit,

Cabella is struggling in Ligue 1 right now too.

@Martoon,

He has some undeniable qualities. But let’s see how it goes. Time is something we don’t have a lot of in Premier League football! He can’t be worse than Obertan

• Slank

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Tinman @ 19

‘Perez might be our best player in a year or 2’

If not already !

• Bobbybee

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Blofal, you ain’t wrong about Thauvin mate. Writing him off after a couple of games is ridiculous. His biggest asset is crossing for a big striker to attack and that can finally happen now, with Mitrovic on the pitch. Give him a few games with Mitrovic and see how it goes before writing him off.
    Having watched Mbabu at U18’s & U21’s I can say that when he plays right back, he can cross a wicked ball as well.

• Tinman

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:04 AM

@Slank,

Mbemba in midfield? He has been our best defender by far. He has to stay where he is.

And I think coincidence. Chelsea came into the game because the mentality at Newcastle is to sit back against big teams. Once we got that lead we were always going to defend it and allow them to come into the game.

Surely Wijnaldum into cm and Thauvin onto the left is a far more reasonable solution?

• Slank

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Bobbybee

I think by accident McClaren has found the perfect reserve right fullback to Janmaat in Mbabu.

• martoon

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Tinman & Bobbygee – The other thing about Thauvin is, although we haven’t seen much evidence of it yet, he is supposedly a dead ball specialist as well. Hopefully this is also a confidence thing because we’ve nobody who can take a decent free kick or corner – on Saturday towards the end Perez was taking them but you want him in the box getting on the end of them!

• Slank

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Tinman

Controversial I know but he has demonstrated he has the skills to play as a defensive midfielder. If Tiote was fit (in the head and body) I would play him instead but I’m not sure he is all there.

I don’t rate Gini in that central role alongside Anita. He isn’t a Cabaye / Fabregas type. Gini’s game is all about pace and movement quickly supporting the midfield and the attack.

• Munster Mag

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:15 AM

Bobby, I’m not wring off Thauvin yet, but he has been quite poor and I see no great reasons to be optimistic. Logially looking at it, he was poor last season and has been poor, bar one game, since he came here. He lacks straight line speed ( amply demonstrated v West Ham, assuming he is fully fit ) , which doesnt help, and his effort against Sheffeld Wednesday was pretty abysmal. So its too soon to write him off but there are reasons to be more negative than positive, thats for sure. Hopefully not another bad Carr pick.

• Munster Mag

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Slank I think SMC will try to get Gini playing centrally. I’m still keen to give him a chance to do that because of his speed and overall ability, and let a specialist winger play on the wing , if we stick with 442 which seems to suit us. If we go 442, we can start for getting about De Jong having the type of impact we wanted. There is noting intrinsically wrong with 4231 , but SMC has to stop over worrying about possession and instead look at chances. I’m sure he doesnt need Munster Mag to tell him this though 🙂

• Jib

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Keep Mbabu on the left
    Play Thauvin in front of him
    Move Gini to CM
    Job’s a good’un !!!!

• Mister Tuff

Sep 30, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Just had a quick spin through the posts -and saw chat about Wally doing a root and branch review. That was about it – apparently no source of this – apart from it being stated by Ian Toon.
    Ian Toon – who says Wally is doing a root and branch review – a root and branch review into what?
    Do you have a source or are you just making it up (again)?
    Without a source/evidence of what it is all about I’ll have to label it Ian Toons’ “woot and bwanch weeview” and file it in the same tray as “Maccas’ bwave new world”.

• hibbit

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:03 PM

jib thuavin’s not ready for the prem especially in front of a rookie FB at man city not fair on either of them

• Lindisfarne

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Time for Siem de Jong to sink or swim, stick him at the top of a midfield diamond with Perez and Mitro in front of him, if he can’t make it work then hook him for good.
    ———Perez———-Mitro
    ——————SDJ
    Gini————Anita————Sissoko
    Mbuba—Collo—Mbemba—Janmaat
    ——————Krul

433 and get at them when we have the chance, like last weekend. Chelsea were poor, they only woke up after their substitutions and we do not have the defensive resilience. I would like to see Aarons come on later for either SDJ or one of the forwards as he does well against ManC and offers pace and ability.

• Lindisfarne

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:31 PM

I don’t know anything about Michy Batshuayi but stats look good, I wonder if Marseille would take Riviere plus cash?

• Bobbybee

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Munster, whilst I fully agree Thauvin hasn’t exactly set the PL on fire, I still think he has what it takes. I know it was only Northampton, but that game he showed his ability to pick out a player with crosses and dead ball situations. If he can find Mitrovic with those crosses we’re in business. Got to pop out, l hope to be back soon. 🙂

• will die for the toon army

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:34 PM

I thinl Mcca is going to take a risk on Thauvin. if Colback is injured.

• martoon

Sep 30, 2015 at 12:35 PM

This is quite a good article

I’m not sure how much is based on fact and how much is speculation.

• will die for the toon army