The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Steve Black Helping Top Newcastle Youngster Do Well On Loan

3:50 pm, Wednesday, September 30th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 16 Comments

Crawley Town recently went on a four game losing streak, but on Saturday they bounced back when they beat bottom club Newport County on the road 3-0.

And that was Freddie Woodman´s third clean sheet of the season and he is one of the shining lights at Crawley Town in what has been a disappointing season so far with the team 4th bottom of League Two.

freddie woodman in action at Newport

Freddie Woodman in action at Newport County

Woodman became the number one at Crawley when he arrived on loan even though he had never played a competitive first team game before, and he is one of England´s best young goalkeeper and has played for the England U16,U17, U18 and U19 sides.

However, Freddie was really impressive in pre-seaosn for Newcastle when he got a chance and he was particularly good when the team toured America in July.

The Crawley News is reporting that “Crawley manager Mark Yates´ faith in Woodman’s ability has proved spot-on so far, with the Newcastle youngster putting is some assured performances.”

This is what Freddie has said in the Crawley news today:

“I’d rather come on loan and have a lot to do,” “It’s obviously not nice conceding four goals twice but I have to deal with it. I’ve been happy with my performances but it’s about the team and getting the wins.”

“I try not to get too down about it but when you concede everyone looks at the keeper.”  “It’s not always the case, though, so I just have to get on with it. It’s happened and it’s in the past. I look at the games and I learn from what I’ve done and what I could do better and I go from there.”

“I’ve enjoyed every minute here, and it sounds strange, but even when we are losing. It’s been amazing. I didn’t think I’d been playing in League Two this season. I feel like I’ve done well, though.”

“I think coming for crosses was a big thing. Everyone thought a 18-year-old kid in League Two wouldn’t come for crosses but I’ve got no fear.”  “Confidence is a big thing in football,” “That’s why I work closely on the psychological side of it. It’s something I’ve done off my own back.”

“I’ve been doing it for two years and it really interests me. I’ve been working with Steve Black, he used to work with Jonny Wilkinson, and now he works Newcastle after Steve McClaren brought him in.”

“I ring him quite a bit and he gives me tasks to do that add to my game.”  “He drills good habits into me, like playing the game in five minutes; you break the game down and if you can be brilliant for five minutes every five minutes then you’ve had the perfect match.”

“But if you’ve had a bad five minutes, you forget about that and focus on having a good next five minutes.” “And if people see my Twitter, I read quite a lot. Mainly self-improvement books. I just pick out little things from the books.”

There´s a lad trying to improve himself while out on loan and all credit to the 18 year-old.

Everybody who works with Steve Black seems to have a high opinion of him and it´s great he´s helping Freddie while he´s out on loan.

Rolando Aarons also talked highly of Black recently in an interview and said Steve must be the most positive person in the world.

It looks like Freddie is doing really well at Crawley Town and let´s hope the team can start climbing that league table.

Woodman´s loan ends in early January, but it could be extended through the end of the season if it´s in the best interests of both clubs and in Freddie´s best interests too.

Comments welcome.

Tags: England News · Freddie Woodman · Loan Moves · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press

16 responses so far ↓

• 1 GeordieTwo // Sep 30, 2015 at 3:51 PM

Today, 19th place!!! Tomorrow, we conquer Poland!!!!

• 2 GeordieTwo // Sep 30, 2015 at 3:54 PM

A lot of you have been asking “G2, why are we still crap?” Very good question mates! Could it be because we haven’t built a decent defense or attack? Possibly it has something to do with overspending on midfielders and underspending on everything else? Just a thought. It couldn’t possibly be the reason, as we have the 2 geniuses Ashley and Charnley in charge!! 😯

• 3 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 30, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Is Woodman not out of contract next season ? All this developing him for him to slip through the net and sign for Palace next season to work with his dad again!!

• 4 GeordieTwo // Sep 30, 2015 at 3:56 PM

I strongly believe in the current club motto: “Build through weakness!” That’s the ticket Mike. You football genius you!!!

• 5 GeordieTwo // Sep 30, 2015 at 3:58 PM

And the other club motto: “Strength through lack of depth!” Beautiful…..

• 6 GeordieTwo // Sep 30, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Does anybody else have any club mottoes they would like to put forward?

• 7 GeordieTwo // Sep 30, 2015 at 4:02 PM

Mike Ashley’s favourite football motto: “Ignorance is bliss!” Beautiful Mike.

• 8 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 30, 2015 at 4:03 PM

LCBP,

Aye it will be the new playing style on Colback, he is sitting now but still very busy, he has proved though if he needs to be he can get forward, score and assist. He has a canny left foot on him.

Ian,

I’v never quite got the critics on Colback, I think the stats speak for themselves with the lad. He is not amazing or anything but he is one of our better players and he bettered a Champions League wanting Sissoko last season amongst many more.

Give me 11 Colback attidudes all day. I think Perez and Janmaat has got it aswell, they knows what it means to wear the shirt.

Not expecting much away to City but would be great to get a decent result.

• 9 GeordieTwo // Sep 30, 2015 at 4:06 PM

Lee Bunga mate, what is your prediction for the Citeh match?

• 10 GeordieTwo // Sep 30, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Spot on Toon-Prod @8. Colback gives a good effort every game. I believe he is best when pushed further forward. He can score when he gets into the box.

• 11 GeordieTwo // Sep 30, 2015 at 4:12 PM

“Three months have passed since Mike Ashley made a staged-managed appearance in front of a television camera to awkwardly take responsibility for Newcastle United’s third relegation battle in the space of six antagonistic years as the club’s owner.”
    Luke Edwards comments. Beautiful work Luke.

• 12 Toon-Prodigy // Sep 30, 2015 at 4:12 PM

Carver has been interviewed on SSN. Reckons players just need time to bed in and McClaren needs time to get to know the players.

Shearer also being interviewed, got it spot on I think. Our best performances have been against the better sides .

• 13 GeordieTwo // Sep 30, 2015 at 4:15 PM

“Mumbling something about bolting the cart to the horse, Ashley indicated the vast profits collected during his age of austerity would allow them to sign higher calibre players this summer. He also insisted managing director Lee Charnley would no longer stubbornly stick to the “cups are not a priority” mantra that had robbed supporters of almost all excitement and hope.”
    That’s more Luke Edwards. Excellent comments Mike! Is our current standing indicative of what you have planned for us???

• 14 GeordieTwo // Sep 30, 2015 at 4:17 PM

So Colo is still bedding in then Toon-Prod mate? Well with his new contract extension it should just about give him time to start feeling comfortable with us….Harrumph.

• 15 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Sep 30, 2015 at 4:19 PM

@GeordieTwo

It all depends on how we set up City and their fans will be a bit nervous after the last few games for them but if we just park the bus and invite them onto us they will get confidence and it will most likely end up being a spanking

But if we can get into them straight away and get an early goal and unsettle them I think the fans could get very restless then you never know what will happen

Must say though even if we play our best it might not be enough because they could come out angry after the last few results and just destroy us

De Bruyne or Navas against Mbabu will be a very big test for the youngster

• 16 Lynxie // Oct 1, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Geordie 2 @6:
    This is my personal favourite, and a very apt one for Saturday.

Equalise FIRST.

previous post: Poll – How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester City?

next post: Shearer Hopes Newcastle Can Move Forward And Do This