The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mitrovic Has Learned A Lot – Issues Rallying Cry

11:02 pm, Thursday, October 1st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 45 Comments

It’s now very obvious that Newcastle missed new signing Aleksandar Mitrovic in the three games he missed after being sent off via a straight red card after 16 minutes against Arsenal.

We lost that game 1-0 and then  lost games against lesser opposition at West Ham and at home to both Watford and Sheffield Wednesday.

But then the lads came roaring back with a good 2-2 result at home against Chelsea with the 21 year-old striker back in the side.

aleksandar mitrovic chelsea

Aleksandar Mitrovic against Chelsea

Mitrovic will lead the Newcastle line at Manchester City and Ayoze Perez will also be in the side which may be unchanged if Jack Colback is fit for the game.

Mitrovic knows he has to repay the side and he had this to say:

“It’s very difficult when you get a lot of kicks from defenders, but you have to stay calm and think about how to score goals.

“They kick you all game, but that is my position and I have to deal with it. I need to keep working on the mental side of things, but I have shown I can deal with all of that.”

“It has been a very difficult few weeks. It is always very difficult when you have to sit and watch a game but you cannot help your team-mates.”

“I am back now though, and I have learned a lot from the last few weeks. I will never do the same thing again.”

“Maybe it would have been different in other countries, but these are the rules and I know I cannot break them.”

“I am sure I am not the first or last player to get a red card, but the rules are the rules here and I need to respect them.”

“I can control myself. I got the red card, but I wanted to take the ball, I didn’t want to kick anybody.”

“I don’t want to get any more red cards, and I am sure I can control myself to make sure that doesn’t happen.”

“I know I can play smart for the whole of a game, and I think I showed that against Chelsea. Okay, I didn’t get a goal against Chelsea, but I still kept on working as hard as I could.”

“I think we showed against Chelsea that we can play against big teams.”

“We have another very difficult game coming up against Manchester City – maybe even more difficult than last weekend’s because we play away.“

“But I think we have to go there to try to play football and win the game.”  “We have to believe in ourselves. If we do that, the results will come for sure.”

“It is the way that we have to play every game. It doesn’t matter against who. We need to be aggressive and play with a lot of passion.”

Aleksandar has a terrific attitude and we need him to stay on the field because Newcastle seem to be a different and much better team with this young striker playing for us.

And who knows he could even get his first goal for us on Saturday.

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Interview · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press

45 responses so far ↓

• 1 jimmysmith // Oct 1, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Good on ya’ Mitch!

• 2 Harley // Oct 1, 2015 at 11:27 PM

Lee charnley bunga

Great link. Sorry to say I got 19. I guessed at kvarme and got a 1 in 3 right. I vaguely remember him.

• 3 Tsunki // Oct 1, 2015 at 11:40 PM

Ashley Out!

• 4 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 1, 2015 at 11:48 PM

Mitro was man of the match last week for me, even though his touch and hold up play weren’t great and he didn’t dominate his opponents in the air. His attitude and battling qualities were just the ticket.

• 5 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 1, 2015 at 11:51 PM

I got 19 but I’m not going to post it on the blog because it would come across as too boastful.

• 6 Tsunki // Oct 1, 2015 at 11:52 PM

it’s hard to estimate the reticence a defensive midfield has to come forward, when you have a strong and assertive forward bullying the rearward ranks. Mitrovic tired unfortunately, and his going off coupled with multi-million fresh legs for Chelsea took that pressure off them and back on us Nitro could indeed be a Shearer – like number 9 in time.

• 7 Tsunki // Oct 1, 2015 at 11:55 PM

Mind I have to say although I am not certain about refs siding with the top sides, Chelsea players got away with an extraordinarily shocking amount of round the body leg sweeps and high kicks. And I doubt mitrovic would have gone unnoticed if he had took out a Chelsea player like Oscar wiped out DeJong

• 8 Tsunki // Oct 1, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Ha ha I got 13 which I don’t get because I’m sure I did that one before and got more! I even didn’t recognise Carl cort how could I forget that waste of boots? 🙂 shocking! I blame the mullets.

• 9 Shadow_Shearer // Oct 2, 2015 at 12:57 AM

As mitrovic looks to be leading the front line, is it safe to assume cisse will be sold soon. Mite as well sell for half the price if we can get it. Although I always thought mitrovic & cisse would be a good strike force. If mcclaren would play two up front rather than one

• 10 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 2, 2015 at 2:13 AM

I got thirteen as well…missed a few a new, but damn I closed my eyes and picked a few as well 😉 lol

• 11 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 2, 2015 at 2:15 AM

Cisse should have been sold in the summer!

• 12 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 2, 2015 at 2:23 AM

*missed a few I knew

• 13 Reyantoon // Oct 2, 2015 at 3:08 AM

Is Kets around 🙂
    Another tough game tomorrow.Don’t think we win but if we score first,we will have a chance to take something out of it.If you are leading 2-0 comfortabley against a top 4 team for more than 75min,what more can u expect to do other than bringing defensive type of players and closing things down? McLaren was wrong in his game plan agt Chelsea for bringing in Toney when he had other defender options.Raises question mark on his identity & credentials!
    Anyway,hope he learnt from it and hopefully we surprise city tomorrow.Still eagerly waiting our first win.Felt like Perez will surprise us again,
    with one of those beauty goals 🙂

• 14 Santon03 // Oct 2, 2015 at 4:46 AM

if we play with attitude against chelsea, i’m sure we will get good result against city (draw = good result).
    I think we will play 4231, Gini will play deeper role along side Anita, could be Thauvin or SDJ replacing Colback. if we go with 442 then it will be Thauv, 4231 then SDJ.

• 15 cyprus // Oct 2, 2015 at 5:22 AM

the way you describe it he wasn’t MOM. Which he wasn’t. To earn that he needs to score one goal. Or,at least provide assists. That’s his job.

Did you see that Gideon’s tree trunk legs – at 17?! Don’t know if those were ‘medicinally’ assisted, but if not, take note SDJ. Imagine the shot from him.

City – they don’t have the Milner engine, but they have enviable depth, so injuries don’t count so much. Still, apart from their goal machine, Silva is key. Hope he ain’t 100% yet.

• 16 cyprus // Oct 2, 2015 at 5:30 AM

Thauvin was bought, I thought, to play the way City do. Tricky, fast, penetrative. Did they spend that kind of money to get a dud? Are they that naive? I mean we’re talking millions here. He’s supposed to be an upgrade on Cabella, who was pretty good, so this guy should have what he was missing.

And he can’t get into the bottom team’s starting 11?

• 17 will die for the toon army // Oct 2, 2015 at 5:34 AM

Mitro aint that good in the air he really wins the balls coming from Krul. He makes a presence but doesnt win those balls may b Mcca can do better to train him. He is no Caroll or Shola or D. Ferguson.

He can’t raise up and win that ball from the GK. He lost at Smalling and Cahill. But we he gets ahead of u he will hold u down and chest the ball. I dont think he knows the knock downs.

On the positive side he knows how to hold the play for all to be involved in. I also haven’t seen his positioning and runs in to the box. But he has a powerful header towards goal.

• 18 TroubledToon // Oct 2, 2015 at 5:36 AM

I believe the red card has helped in mellowing down Mitro. Its obvious the kid loves to play and watching from the sidelines seems to have had him gutted.
    That being said, I still feel we should have appealed the red cuz there wasn’t any malice or intent behind the challenge. But then again, its probably only the “Arse”nal’s and Chelshit’s who get their reds rescinded.

Anyway, all said and done, let’s c how we play against City. Hopefully Mitro puts in the same shift. He cud definitely have a long future with us. Mebbe even a future captain… At least he’s got more heart and voice than the shaggy haired mime who has the armband now

• 19 will die for the toon army // Oct 2, 2015 at 5:41 AM

Thauvin is a disappointment so far. But he is one of the high prospects we have its down to Mcca and Cathro to see what is wrong with him. Him and Aarons I have high hopes but nothing yet.

4-4-2 balanced our team there were no gaps and we looked too comfortable. Wijnaldum looked out of place but still he is no winger wen Ober came on u cld see the shape was good and its our formation. Pliz Mcca dont change it.

• 20 will die for the toon army // Oct 2, 2015 at 5:47 AM

How Football changes so fast? Sissoko looks like he cant run and cant counter. He was e ignition of almost all our attacks.

Thauvin aint fast, cant dribble, cant pass. Not good at corners. What I have seen so far. Nothing is good. He gives away the ball too much.

• 21 jimmysmith // Oct 2, 2015 at 6:01 AM

McC said after the Arse game Mitro tried to apologise but was to emotional and full of regret too speak. I’m a huge fan of his already. Could do with a goal. A header would be good. The first of many I predict.

• 22 Santon03 // Oct 2, 2015 at 6:19 AM

Thauvin needs to settle, it’s different league than france. He only play 3-4 games and people already condemn him.

• 23 toonbrother // Oct 2, 2015 at 6:26 AM

“It’s now very obvious that Newcastle missed new signing Aleksandar Mitrovic in the three games he missed ”

We conceded 2 goals v Westham and 2 goals v Watford
    That means Mitrovic would have had to score at least 4 goals in those games to have made a difference to the overall outcome
    Mitrovic has scored so far scored ZERO goals
    Stop clutching at straws
    Mitrovic has potential but he is not the saviour you are making him out to be
    We need a solid defence first and foremost if we want to secure our first win of the season
    Whilst colocinni remains in the team i do not see this happening

• 24 cyprus // Oct 2, 2015 at 6:27 AM

you’re a fan because he didn’t say sorry?

Kidding, I get you.

Still, I’m withholding my fan application till he starts scoring.

• 25 jimmysmith // Oct 2, 2015 at 6:33 AM

It doesn’t follow at all that we’d have shipped two apiece against West Ham and Watford, and certainly nor been equally rubbish had Mitrovic played. In fact, all the indicators being we did in fact miss his substantial presence considerably, so duff was Cisse in his stead..

• 26 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 2, 2015 at 7:09 AM

Agreed. Mitrovic playing in those games would have enabled us to keep the ball better higher up the park. It would have added greater intent to our possession and has the potential to change what happened considerably. Still, Colo has been at fault for some of the goals, but then so have most of the back line, Anita and Colback, so…….

As for tomorrow, it looks like Kompany will miss out again. Great news for us, without him they look a far poorer side – the difference having a strong, commanding leader and centre back on the pitch can make.

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 2, 2015 at 7:11 AM

Gazzette saying Tiote may be available for tomorrow.

• 28 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 2, 2015 at 7:22 AM

will die@17. As poorly worded as your post is, there is some sense to it. Mitrovic looks like a striker who wants the ball crossed in rather than punted down to him. As you seem to be saying, he wants to go for goal, and not just nod it down for someone else. All the more reason for McLaren and co. to sort out some wide service for him. Obertan, Thauvin, Aarons – all wingers, supposedly. If none of them can be relied upon to provide a steady diet of decent crosses then fingers need to be pointed at management, on a number of levels.

• 29 hibbit // Oct 2, 2015 at 7:50 AM

frenchman….. the kids from uganda give him a chance he’s doing his best !!!!

• 30 will die for the toon army // Oct 2, 2015 at 7:54 AM

We really need good wingers. Mitro has shown he has a powerful header with jst two crosses and he attacks them so well we need to sort out our wingers

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 2, 2015 at 7:55 AM

I like that Mitrovic seems to be learning from his mistakes, but you can see his words being thrown back in his face by some if he gets sent off again.

Like most strikers, Mitrovic will need good service. Mitrovic is best when he can attack the ball so getting width and hitting the byline will be of great benefit to him.

We really have to hope Thauvin can get up to speed, he isn’t slow from what I saw of him in France, and many journalists labelled him as very quick when he joined so I can only assume there are some underlying fitness issues for him at the moment. If he doesn’t come good then I don’t really see where the service will come from unless we rely on Janmaat and switch to wing backs.

• 32 will die for the toon army // Oct 2, 2015 at 7:55 AM

Hibbit nice one u tell him.

• 33 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 2, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Forgot to add on that, Thauvin didn’t convince me in France, but I will give him a chance to cut it.

• 34 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 2, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Apologies if this has been discussed previously, but it made me sick to see Delle Ali called up to the England squad. Another masterpiece of incompetence from Charnley and Carr to not get him signed when we had a realistic chance. Yes, playing for a London club was probably his preferred option, but if these idiots had allocated a decent chunk of the 13 mill. they wasted on Thauvin to get him here it surely could have happened. Absolutely pathetic and symptomatic of the incredible ineptitude of those charged with making the decisions at this club.

• 35 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 2, 2015 at 7:59 AM

I still think we should have gone for Matty Phillips in the summer, although the £10million QPR allegedly wanted for him was pretty steep. 2 goals and 2 assists from right wing so far this season.

• 36 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 2, 2015 at 8:00 AM

Thauvin seems to thrive best in a well functioned team with better players around him…

…not uncommon for players like him.

I remember Michael Laudrup was twice the player when he was playing in a team like Barcelona than he was for a lesser team or even our National team.

• 37 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 2, 2015 at 8:01 AM

We should have wrapped up the deal for Alli long before last Jan, we had been lined with him for a year by then.

• 38 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 2, 2015 at 8:03 AM

Sorry, will die. I didn’t mean to sound offensive or patronising. It was the editor in me coming out.

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 2, 2015 at 8:06 AM

The thing with Thauvin is he hasn’t thrived for about 3 years. He just hasn’t kicked on from the kid who made his Grenoble and then Bastia bows.

He is 22 and we are his fifth club. The kid needs to knuckle down and put in the work in training to prove he was more than just a talented youth. He won’t have been settled anywhere given his transfer history, so need time and an opportunity to settle and work on his game.

He wasn’t the ideal signing for now – which was what we needed imo – but if we can get him to work on his game and develop then he does have very good potential. Can we afford him the time to do it out of the limelight? Not really.

• 40 will die for the toon army // Oct 2, 2015 at 8:10 AM

We really need to sort out our wingers. Mitro has shown he is very good with his head. Thauvin fast I really dont think so he was falling behind in our counter attacks may dont know if he is not match fit.

• 41 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 2, 2015 at 8:18 AM

I think Thauvin is suffering in opinion (and I’ll admit to being one putting the boots in) following the abject failure of Cabella. It’s as if the lessons are just not being learned. Twenty million or maybe more pissed up against the wall on two players in succession who never even looked to be made of the right stuff for the Premier League. With Ashley holding the purse-strings as tightly as he does, this club just can’t afford such expensive mistakes.

• 42 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 2, 2015 at 8:18 AM

Will Die,
    He hasn’t shown it yet – other than leaving Luke Shaw for dead – but almost any article you google about him talks of his pace. It may well be a lack of fitness that makes him look slow so far. Hopefully he can work on that.

I don’t play FIFA, but I assume a pace rating of 83 is quite good? Just checked, Sissoko clocked one of the fastest sprints last season and he only gets an 82.

I know it is a game, but a lot of stat work and research goes into those figures and they are based on factual evidence, so he must have more in the tank speed wise then we have seen so far.

• 43 firebug666 // Oct 2, 2015 at 8:24 AM

It’s not just the players that need time to settle, we bought players that have the potential to be better than they are, but are we expecting McClaren and the new backroom staff to just walk in and wave a magic wand?

I think our poor start is down to too many changes, McClaren and his staff also need to settle at the club, they need to get to know each others game (those that don’t already know each other) and to know those staff members that remained at the club.

Then each of them need to get to know the players and what each is capable of achieving. All this will take time (maybe time we do not have).

Then we have the new players coming into this mix, and meeting a club that is in transition, a staff that are still trying to work out the players they already have. I say give Thauvin and co time, it’s difficult enough moving to a new club, even more so a premiership club, but then add a premiership club in transition with all the upheaval and it get a bit daunting for some of them.

• 44 will die for the toon army // Oct 2, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Overated No offence taken. Am cool.

• 45 will die for the toon army // Oct 2, 2015 at 8:38 AM

You are sport on. If we make Top 12 this season it will b good for me. But wat scares me is convincing Perez, Mitro or even Wijanldum to stay after a poor show down. like that to build on next season.

previous post: Newcastle Could Get Shock Result At Manchester City