The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pellegrini – It Will Be Tough Against Newcastle

9:47 pm, Friday, October 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

Manuel Pellegrini and Manchester City got off to a great start to the season winning their first five league games and at that time they were a full 11 points clear of last season’s Premier League Champions Chelsea.

But they have surprisingly lost their last two league games against West Ham and Tottenham and the City manager is well aware that Newcastle tend to play well against the big clubs.

Manuel pellegrini 1733641a

Manuel Pellegrini – wary of Newcastle

We’ve played well at Old Trafford and did well with 10 men against Arsenal and should have beaten Chelsea last Saturday.

So Pellegrini is aware that Newcastle could give them a game tomorrow.

Whether we will or not is an open question because if nothing else so far this season Newcastle have been inconsistent .

That is something that Steve McClaren stressed a number of times in his press conference this afternoon for this game.

This is what Manuel has said about tomorrow’s game:

“Tomorrow we have a tough game against Newcastle.” “They played very well against Chelsea and here in Manchester against United.”

“We are not thinking of the top of the table at this moment  –  just to have a strong performance.”  “It’s important to be at the top in May.”

“We know we are going to have eight or nine players defending so we have to create the space.”

Newcastle are still looking for their first win and if we play poorly and lose tomorrow, we could well be at the bottom of the league table over the two week International break if Sunderland do well at home to West Ham.

That should be an extra incentive to the Newcastle players to do well tomorrow.

We hope we can get something out of the game.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Manchester City?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 Brian Pinas // Oct 2, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Call me mad but Yaya and Kompany are out…

I fancy the win!

• 2 toon kk // Oct 2, 2015 at 9:55 PM

I’ll call you mad ha! Let’s hope your right mate, I don’t expect a win, we’re not strong enough. But as long as we give them a good game, then no excuses from then on. Our season must start soon.

• 3 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 2, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Anyone seen the Geordie Hacka

Wj hears the words

How to do the Geordie Haka
    Ah knaa ye (repeat)

Ah knaa ye knaa me (rep)

Wor kid looks like this [arms wide] (rep)

Wor kid looks like this [tongue out] (rep)

Geet fat knacka (rep)

Wor kids working (rep)

Arnly fiddle (rep)

Tattoo me Ma (rep)

Tattoo me Da (rep)

Pint in this hand [left hand out] (rep)

Tab in this hand [right hand out] (rep)

WOOAAARRGHHH! [all jump]

I know you

I know you know me

My brother looks like this (he’s big)

My brother looks like this (he’s ugly)

He’s a big fat fellow

My brother is working

Only fiddle

He has a tattoo of my mother on his right arm

He has a tattoo of my father on his left arm

He has a pint of beer in his right hand

He has a cigarette in his left hand

WOOAAARRGHHH! [all jump]

• 4 Our Toon // Oct 2, 2015 at 10:08 PM

SDJ needs game time just like all players coming back from long term, shearer was out twice with long term injuries and even he says the 1st 3 games he played on adrenaline but after that he struggled for months. Unfortunately some think that you should be able to hit top gear immediately after being out for a big chunk of time, if only football was that simple!!

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Oct 2, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Very good my mate ?

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Oct 2, 2015 at 10:20 PM

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Oct 2, 2015 at 10:20 PM

• 8 toon kk // Oct 2, 2015 at 10:26 PM

Our toon
    SDJ does need game time, but the situation we’re in and needing wins, sdj makes a better sub, he is not ready to start, he also needs to work on his pace.

• 9 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 2, 2015 at 10:30 PM

Gone viral in NZ to see link below

• 10 Shaker Shakrah // Oct 2, 2015 at 10:40 PM

I don’t know why people are thinking we can even draw against City ?!
    SO FAR and you didn’t learn about your club ?!
    I hate the idiots man ..!

Ohhh i forgot
    The dreams are FREE haaa

• 11 SPRINGY // Oct 2, 2015 at 10:43 PM

evening all
    toon kk
    do u not think playing de jong tomorrow in what i describe as a throw away game might be benificial for the games coming that we must take points from….i would of kept the same side that did well against chelsea if fit… but if the not use the to give players game time,nitro and perez game time as a pair…in the long run it myt pay off

• 12 SPRINGY // Oct 2, 2015 at 10:44 PM

use the game#

• 13 SPRINGY // Oct 2, 2015 at 10:49 PM

——————————-de jong—————————-

• 14 Our Toon // Oct 2, 2015 at 10:58 PM

Toon KK

I don’t think he should be a starter just yet but I’m not writing him off as he needs game time. As for pace, he’s an intelligent player so doesn’t really need it for his game. Not comparing him to the likes of Cantona and Bergkamp but they didn’t have any pace but it didn’t stop them for being successes!!

SDJ needs game time I’d give him 90 mins for a month for u21s and cameo appearances for 1st team from bench!!

• 15 Brian Pinas // Oct 2, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Did anyone think we could beat City in the cup last year with a second string team?

Don’t hate the idiots mate. Life’s too short for self loathing.

• 16 jimmysmith // Oct 2, 2015 at 11:25 PM

——————————-De Jong—————————-

I wonder if that might not be our best 11 out of this group. Tiote at the base the diamond, De Jong at the tip. I appreciate we’ve looked good at times with Anita and Colback in tandem snapping at the heels of players and giving and going with lots of fast one touch stuff, but when you consider Tiote’s dynamism, and De Jong’s goal threat and link up play. Sissoko and Widj playing tighter as needed. Tiote and De jong are big players that we haven’t looked at yet, and surely need to as we continue to seaerch for our best side, and players who will require opportunities, or they’ll simply want out.

• 17 Jib // Oct 2, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Tiote han’t played in a full competitive game since Northampton Town ffs .
    That full game against Football League 2 opposition plus two 10 minute appearances as sub versus Southampton and Man U is hardly going to make him match fit.
    He should have come on as a sub for Colback against Chelsea but he wasn’t even on the bench.

• 18 jimmysmith // Oct 2, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Not for this game, obviously. Haidarra isn’t fit either, but ultimately, out of this group

previous post: Newcastle Becoming More Consistent – Closer To Knowing Best Team