The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Perez – Mitrovic And I Get On Really Well On And Off The Pitch

10:43 pm, Sunday, October 4th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 6 Comments

Ayoze Perez has given an interview with MARCA which took place before yesterday´s heavy defeat at Manchester City and Ayoze comes over as a pleasant young man who is very respectful of Newcastle United – the club that gave him his big chance last season and one that Ayoze took with both feet.

Ayoze Perez + david silva Manchester+City+v+Newcastle+United+ahPjQzlgz59l

Ayoze Perez challenges David Silva yesterday

And the Spanish U20 star seems to be making a decent partnership up front and Ayoze and Aleksandar Mitrovic played well in the first half yesterday before we collapsed in those first 20 minutes of the second half.

Ayoze and Aleksandar are good friends both on and off the files.

Here´s the question and answers published by MARCA:

Question:  You have started three matches and come on as a sub in four more. Were you expecting to play more?

Perez: Maybe I did expect to feature a bit more in the opening rounds of fixtures, but the start of the season is complicated: new signings had come in, as well as a new coach…. Now it seems my hard work is paying off. I’m feeling pretty good, very close to 100%.

Question:  You shot to prominence at Tenerife, but you seem to have completed your apprenticeship at Newcastle.

Perez: The demands of the Premier League make you learn and improve you as a player. It’s a very competitive league where the pace of the game is fast and furious. I’m known above all for my technical ability, but I have to show that I’m willing to put in a shift defensively too. You have to give your all.

Question:  Since joining Newcastle you’ve played on the right, in the hole, on the left, through the middle up front… Where do you feel most comfortable?

Perez: That versatility benefits me. I’ve operated in several positions and I’m happy to adapt to whatever the coach decides, but where I’m most comfortable is as a support striker, where I played against Chelsea.

Question: What’s your relationship like with Aleksandar Mitrovic, your new strike partner?

Perez: We get on really well both on and off the pitch considering how little time we’ve known each other for.

Question: Why didn’t you end up at Tottenham in the summer?

Perez: Tottenham and especially Mauricio Pochettino were really interested, which is hugely flattering for me. At the end of the day nothing came of it because Newcastle considered me an important player and wouldn’t let me leave.  (good answer).

Question: You scored seven goals in the Premier League last season. Have you set out to surpass that total?

Perez: As a striker, it’s my job to score goals. I got a decent number last time round and although second-season syndrome can be an issue, particularly in England, my aim is to improve on that tally.

Ayoze Perez has again forced himself into the starting line-up and along with Mitrovic these two young strikers can help Newcastle get some goals in the Premier League and hopefully start climbing the league.

In our Man of the Match poll for the game yesterday Mitrovic won it easily with 69% with Perez third on 7% just a few votes behind the impressive Mbemba also on 7%.

It´s important the fans stay behind the team for the next crucial games against opposition outside of the top eight clubs.

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Ayoze Perez · Coaching · Man of the Match · Newcastle News · Premier League

6 responses so far ↓

• 1 jimmysmith // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:57 PM

Rodgers spent 300 mill at Liverpool, coming after the Dalglish spending, and sacked. Porto have taken 500 mill in transfers in the last 10 years. I think Newcastle just aren’t going to buy finished products. The best we can hope for is the extra money leads to a better quality of recruit, at the right time, to fill the right need. Best case scenario under this owner, and possibly best case scenario period.

• 2 chicousa // Oct 4, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Glad to hear that Mitrovic and Ayoze are getting along. So the strike force is looking promising. The problem as has been amply stated here and elsewhere is Defense and DM. And also noted is the lack of leadership and heart / mental toughness from some of the players. And some of SM’s decisions have been baffling and his judgment in extending the contract of Colochini and naming him captain is looking shaky (was Colo really his best signing of the summer???!!!!). All hope is not lost, but Steve Mac better wake up soon, and start acting to stop the habits of losing and quitting in the face of adversity that this team is carrying over from last 2 seasons!

• 3 lochinvar // Oct 4, 2015 at 11:03 PM

Rodgers – no thanks ( second hand goods and he needs a break ) – we need someone with energy and personality – a presence that the likes of lazy Sissoko and Tiote might respond to . Viera seems to fit the bill and if Klopp and De Boer end up at clubs like Liverpool or Chelsea then we might actually have a chance of getting him.
    Someone mentioned Klinsman but doubt he would give up the good life in the USA ?

Times they are a changing and Newcastle really need to be part of it

• 4 Bobbybee // Oct 4, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Being mates off the pitch can be really beneficial on it. That trust helps the players make the right decision when in doubt. However, pulling off your head is the strangest way of showing someone you like them! 😉

• 5 Chancel be a fine thing // Oct 4, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Rewatched the first half today. On the ‘offside’ goal, when the ball was played down the line, both players in the middle were offside, although not when the ball was crossed. So I guess the linesman flagged when they interfered with play in the second phase. Is this how the offside rule works this season? Where’s Jeff when you need him!

• 6 Bobbybee // Oct 4, 2015 at 11:14 PM

Lochinvar, Viera has already stated he will never work for Newcastle, so that’s not even an option marra. Not even sure how people rate him so highly with no experience to compare him with. Most really good players fail to carry it into management for some reason. I know there are the odd successes, but generally average players make better coaches. Viera needs to prove himself somewhere before getting a PL job imo.

previous post: Sissoko Today – I Still Hope To Play In Champions League