The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Sissoko Today – I Still Hope To Play In Champions League

10:03 pm, Sunday, October 4th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 25 Comments

You cannot accuse Moussa Sissoko of not at least being consistent and the French midfielder has been interviewed today by the TV channel Canal+ as he joins up with the French squad.

He has again said he wants to play in the Champions League one day, but that in the summer Newcastle did everything to keep him.

Haven´t we heard this all before?

moussa sissoko

Moussa Sissoko – in make-up room at Canal+ today

Moussa has come under some criticism lately from Newcastle fans for his drop off in form this season. although he kept his place in Didier Deschamps squad.

And he managed to disappear yesterday in the second half at the Etihad when Newcastle collapsed against Manchester City and we ended up losing 6-1, the first time we have conceded six goals since April, 2013.

This is some of what he told French cable TV channel Canal + taken directly from the Canal Football Club Twitter account here:

“I still hope to play in the Champions League one day.” “Newcastle did everything to keep me.”

“We (Newcastle) are not where we should be, but we need to prove that on the pitch.”

“There is the Euros in sight and I have to give my all in order to make the French squad.”

“The fans expect more from Florian Thauvin at the club, but we all trust him”

It was good that Florian got a run-out in the second half yesterday and we thought the players that came on in the second half including Cheick Tiote and Jamaal Lascelles played quite well.

Moussa´s place at Newcastle will come under pressure as Cheick Tiote tries to get back in the starting eleven  now that he is fully fit again, and only recently Steve McClaren talked about Moussa having to play well in every game.

And surely there is a place somewhere for Dutch International Siem de Jong?

Certainly the former Ajax captain can score more goals than Moussa.

Since signing on from Toulouse almost three years ago for around £2M with just six months left on his contract, he has been an automatic starter at Newcastle and has played 94 games with 11 goals.

Tags: Euro 2016 · International News · Moussa Sissoko · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press Conference

25 responses so far ↓

• 1 jane // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:09 PM

is he ruling out playing in the Champions League with Newcastle next season?

• 2 welshgeordie9 // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Change the record sissoko, that is getting annoying now along with Ashley out chants.

• 3 welshgeordie9 // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:14 PM

Get of your arse and work harder, what is it with French players.

• 4 scout // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Think he means Championship league. Silly Moussa.

• 5 The Newcastle Armchair // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:16 PM

Sissoko still barking the same sh&t?

• 6 The Newcastle Armchair // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:17 PM

I think he might be the one behind the SackSissoko.com site

• 7 scout // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:17 PM

This Tauvain must be quality, cant get a game for the team bottom in the Prem

• 8 Bobbybee // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:20 PM

And I want to win the lottery Moussa, but right now I fancy my chances slightly better than yours! I might be mistaken, but weren’t the teams who did come in for him not in the CL? So he signed a contract and we’re the wicked ones for expecting him to honour it. He certainly believes the hype, despite it not being right. Nothing’s about the team with him, it’s all me, me, me.

• 9 Nufc_Cal // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Quick question… Would you take Rodgers? Personally, I would

• 10 Average_Contents // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:21 PM

He’s only champions league material in his head.

All the attributes to be a success bar the most important one, attitude.

I’d be very surprised if ANY champions league side came in for him, even the minnows who occasionally get through to the group stages.

Do us all a favour and keep your trap shut because it’s getting tiresome now. Embarrassing even.

Ashley out!

• 11 toon22 // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Fifa 16?

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:22 PM

I find calling us us when really us means Swansea very fcuking tiring, in fact loathsome!

• 13 welshgeordie9 // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:25 PM

What’s it got to do with you anyway, I will say what I like don’t like it, tough.

• 14 jimiley // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:26 PM

We need to get behind Schteeeeve and judge him in May.

• 15 welshgeordie9 // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:27 PM

Would be you to come out with that stupid comment.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:32 PM

On Sissoko, the guy is deluded and is what is wrong with the whole attitude of the team

• 17 jane // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:37 PM

if McClaren is still here at the end of May I will more than likely be happy with him 🙂

• 18 jimmysmith // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:38 PM

You have to acknowledge that being a part of this mess is a shit sandwich for players. Sissoko is a good player, but he must have looked around the club from time to time and thought I’m going nowhere here. You suspect that in this situation, he might drag the chain from time to time, in his lowest moments, but in a better Newcastle side he’d be flying. Players need to own their form on the pitch, as best they can, but plenty of this lot have been hung out to dry by this club too. I think that’s a big part of the current problem, and many of them know they are no longer wanted, making it that much worse. Hardly a recipe for great morale. I suspect a few might throw their toys out, and a few will go, and then we’ll do better, but there’s a certain injustice been done to them.

• 19 Bobbybee // Oct 4, 2015 at 10:53 PM

Not sure what you mean by injustice jimmy. They’ve been given the opportunity to ply their trade at one of the best arenas in the country, whilst earning a decent wage (!!!!) in front of a massive crowd every home game. I believe we stated publicly that if a CL opportunity came up, we wouldn’t hold Sissoko back, but none came in for
    him. Those players who are now getting pushed out surely only have themselves to blame?

• 20 lochinvar // Oct 4, 2015 at 11:01 PM

Rodgers – no thanks ( second hand goods and he needs a break ) – we need someone with energy and personality – a presence that the likes of lazy Sissoko and Tiote might respond to . Viera seems to fit the bill and if Klopp and De Boer end up at clubs like Liverpool or Chelsea then we might actually have a chance of getting him.
    Someone mentioned Klinsman but doubt he would give up the good life in the USA ?

Times they are a changing and Newcastle really need to be part of it

• 21 jimmysmith // Oct 4, 2015 at 11:04 PM

Not enough depth, balance and quality over the Ashley tenure. Carver for half a season, and nearly being relegated, twice. This type of thing. Tiote, for example, probably thinks he gave his best years to Newcastle, got nothing and now they don’t want me, f@ck em. I see us coming good, but I also think to a degree we’ve failed our better players up to now.

• 22 andrew84 // Oct 4, 2015 at 11:13 PM

Welshie, if you’re tired of hearing well-founded criticism about Mike Ashley, feel free to go off and wind up the residents of the Swansea blogs for a while. Please don’t feel you need to stick around on our account. I for one will miss that razor-sharp wit and footballing wisdom of yours though…

• 23 lesh // Oct 5, 2015 at 1:39 AM

Sissoko only has six months of his contract left? Is six months right? Surely not.

• 24 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 5, 2015 at 4:09 AM

It just seems to me that this club is not properly equipped to survive in the Premier League, 2015 style. You need to be super-rich or very smart, and we are neither. Unless you have unlimited resources you are just not going to survive with sub-standard personnel at all levels, but that, unfortunately, is where we are. Too much money on offer now in this league for any but the fittest to survive, and we are clearly desperately unfit in just about any way you can think of.

• 25 theleckworthbird // Oct 5, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Maybe Sunder;and could be interested in Rodgers?

previous post: Can Cheick Tiote Play A Role For Newcastle This Season?

next post: Perez – Mitrovic And I Get On Really Well On And Off The Pitch