The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

If Things Don’t Improve Soon Ashley Will Have To Step In

3:22 pm, Thursday, October 8th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 71 Comments

It looked at the time that Mike Ashley had made a couple of good decisions after Newcastle almost sensationally were relegated when Lee Charnley put John Carver in charge of the side in Jnauary, and he got one point from 10 games, upset the players who were hopeless and we were almost relegated.

John also upset the fans with the ridiculous statements he made in front of the TV cameras at every press conference.

Mike Ashley Sky Sports West Ham Match May 2015

Mike Ashley – on Sky Sports on May 24th

In short it was a disastrous appointment by Charnley and Ashley alluded to being “surprised” before the last game of the season that Newcastle could be relegated if Hull City beat Manchester United at home and we didn’t beat West Ham at home.

It didn’t turn out that way but we were lucky – and Ashley said before the game that money would be made available in the summer and he would step away form any football decisions made at the club.

Instead, those decisions would be made by the new Newcastle Board of Lee Charnley, new head coach Steve McClaren, Graham Carr and Bob Moncur.

And he’s been true to his word – so far.

But Newcastle, after spending a huge £52M on new players in the summer, have made their worst ever start to a Premier League season with just 3 points from eight games played.

John Carver got 9 points from his first 8 league games, but only four points from the remaining eleven games – which plunged us close to relegation.

So what do Newcastle do now?

On the surface of it – and it’s not always possible on the outside to know exactly what’s going on at the club –  it looks like there has been continued incompetence in the running of the club.

And if Steve McClaren cannot turn the thing around it will be the second disastrous appointment made by Lee Charnley this year.

When you get to be a top executive you are responsible for the appointments you make and you’re accountable for those appointments.

In other words, if they don’t pan out or are disastrous you pay the price – that’s part of the job – it can be ruthless.

We just have to hope that Steve McClaren can turn things around and that would be the simple solution – and it’s certainly possible.

But the owner cannot be too pleased after last season’s trials and tribulations that we seem to be no better off than we were under John Carver.

And don’t forget there were plenty of good managers available in the summer.

But is looks like Steve McClaren was the top choice of Lee Charnley even after he was sacked by Derby County after a disastrous second half to the season.

It’s not often that a sacked Championship manager becomes a Premier League manager within a couple of weeks.

We’ve read that Charnley and Graham Carr seem to have a blind faith in Steve McClaren’s ability that he could turn things around.

If Steve cannot do it and has to be replaced there will be other heads that will roll at Newcastle and that means even more upheaval at the club.

That’s why we have to hope that Steve and his coaches – with the help of the Newcastle fans – can turn this thing around.

The alternative will be very messy.

Note: Hi, my name is Ben Rushton, I am 6 years old and want to raise money for the McMillan Cancer Support.

I am going to climb Mount Snowdon with my Mum, Dad and Auntie Nic and I will do my very best to get to the top while keeping everyone updated on my way up. I will be doing this on 18th October 2015 in 2 weeks time.

Please see if you can donate here to help me help other people – thanks.

Tags: Financials · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

71 responses so far ↓

• 1 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 3:28 PM

Cyprus

Click on the link above mate

If you don’t put Cyprus only your real name will come up but who knows that’s you 😉

Just put nufc blog or anything Newcastle related so I can keep track of donations off here bud.

Thanks.

• 2 cyprus // Oct 8, 2015 at 3:31 PM

I clicked it, before, and it seemed to ask too much 🙂 Let me check again.

• 3 Munster Mag // Oct 8, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Average , a few bob lobbed in the pot from Limerick. Best of luck, that’s very impressive out of your young man.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2015 at 3:48 PM

AC…What a nice lad you’ve got.

He must take after his mother.

Good luck Ben!

• 5 Whumpie // Oct 8, 2015 at 3:49 PM

Ashley stepping IN can only make things worse because it’s his hopelessly naive and soulless strategy that has put us here.

The only way he can help is to sell the club to someone who knows the difference between a football squad and a high street shop’s stock room.

Ashley out! It’s the only way.

• 6 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 3:53 PM

Thankyou anonymous

And another who donated.

Ibiza

Clearly you’ve never met the missus 😉

In all seriousness he is a cracking little boy and he’s really looking forward to it

• 7 cyprus // Oct 8, 2015 at 3:54 PM

Ok Average,
    done. Good luck with the climb.

• 8 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2015 at 3:59 PM

AC…Well, he can’t take after you mate. Does he resemble your postman by any chance?

• 9 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:13 PM

Much appreciated Cyprus bud

Ibiza

I never thought you’d sink so low mate 😉

I’ve a feeling you’ve been meeting up and spending time with our very own Jeffrey in Spain. He’s got a villa there don’t ya know 🙂

Candlelight dinners for two then?

• 10 chuck // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:13 PM

ED.

Do you really believe Ashley let Charnley make any decisions on his own.

Charnley is a disposable no body, who will take the rap for decisions made by Ashley and if you believe Ashley has left all football decisions to Charnley, a relative novice, then you are more naïve than I thought.

• 11 Spotlight Kid // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:17 PM

‘Ashley will have to step in’ what exactly?

I think if he has a quick look at the soles of his shoes he will find he already has. Sack the board then sell the club Mike, it’s the only way to get rid of the smell.

• 12 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:20 PM

On thread…Aren’t the Carver and McClaren msitakes tied in to one really?

The mistake started after our initial approach for McClaren and him saying no, not now.

Whilst he is still being given time to show what he can do with this mess, was he ever worth waiting for, and if so, why? By waiting, they just created a much bigger job for the next guy coming in. Didn’t see it coming? Again, how the heck are we now supposed to have faith in the same people?

Ashley on the board, or off the board, for me, is neither here nor there. What’s him being involved or not going to fix?

IMO, fans will continue this merry-go-round debate forever, as the club refuse to discuss, and then put to bed, mistakes that have been made.

By not confronting it, with the aim of not ‘dwelling on the past’, they are basically pushing people to dwell on it. They know this relies on faith in them, yet they never seem to want to earn that faith, just lean on that good old “Your club needs you”.

It’s that gross manipulation of the fans which gets to me.

• 13 Our Toon // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:24 PM

Munster

So you’ve read a translated transcript of sissoko apparently slating Thauvin and believe he’s a bad apple because his apparent statement is in agreement with most fans that Thauvin isn’t good enough or hasn’t been good enough!!

• 14 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:24 PM

AC…You didn’t? Really? 🙂

All in jest, of course.

The lad has already smashed his £200 target. I’ll spread it around a little later.

• 15 Bucks mag // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Hi AC, I’ve just donated towards Ben’s charity climb.
    Best of luck with it.

• 16 Mister Tuff // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Sissoko – for a big bloke with a fine physique he is a bit of a wimpy tart. As previously stated he doesn’t like to tackle or put his head in.
    The second goal for City – if you go back over we were attacking just outside their box and across it. There were a couple of square passes and the third was meant for Sissoko- not the best pass but not a hospital pass either, 50/50 ish – he decided not to challenge/get his foot in, City played the ball out and scored.
    I’ve posted on here a couple of years ago that his reputation at Bordeaux was 50/50 – decent game – poor game. He has continued this “form” here. He is not he most naturally skillful player you’ll see -he makes up this with his power (if he can be arsed). I say sell him providing a replacement is better -note is better NOW.

• 17 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Ibiza

Just realised you’ve donated too lol. Thanks mate. Be excellent If you’d pass it around.

I did, I love going there 😉

• 18 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Thanks bucks mag 🙂

• 19 terencelim // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Let’s hope Ashley “step in” and save the club lol.

• 20 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:36 PM

AC…My pleasure. Who could say no to that little face? Well, I bet you’ve found a way by now 🙂

Tuff…Sissoko can go as far as I am concerned, however, we don’t need to sell to buy, so I’d be much happier to see someone higher up on the list to be shipped out first. Let’s get rid of the people who don’t even manage one game on, one game off, or even those who hardly even make a game and upgrade from there.

It’s a damning statement, but he is still one of our better players.

• 21 Our Toon // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:40 PM

Mister Tuff

Agree with you on the 50/50 aspect but we have no other player in the team who can cover the distance he does with the ball. Some things which go unnoticed like attracting 2 players to mark him etc. Without sissoko we are an easier team to defend against. Without sissoko we have obertan, it was sissoko’s running which won the corner against chelsea and led to the 2nd goal

Plenty on here rave about Aarons (the sick note) give him a proper run in the team and ppl will sharp turn on him!!

• 22 blacksmith // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:40 PM

What we lack is quality and leadership in midfield.

We sold Cabaye without a thought as to who we would replace him with. Worse yet, we didn’t pull out all the stops to get him back in the summer.

He tied our entire team together with creative passing and distribution while also pulling his weight on the other side of the ball. He was key.

Having a player like him makes attacks more potent by getting creators and scorers in dangerous positions, and allows you to keep the ball and ease pressure off the defense.

He also has set pieces in his locker; something else we sorely lack.

It breaks my heart seeing him at Palace.

• 23 Our Toon // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Ibiza

We would be selling the who team then because they are all consistently poor. Btw we are almost 10 games in, has your opinion on Anita changed since we last debated? I said he was pants after the Southampton game and you were saying he looked very good and will be a key player

• 24 Our Toon // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:44 PM

Cabaye coming back wouldn’t work, never does work. Learn your lesson from Keegan returning, more importantly you are happy to have a player who went on strike to return to your club?

He didn’t even want to play for us, spat his dummy out!! That sends a great message to the team

• 25 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:49 PM

Ashley will have to step in? Ahahahahahahahaha!!!!! And do what? Make things worse? The man is a complete idiot!! Why would we want him to step in?

• 26 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:51 PM

Yes, having Ashley step in for 8 1/2 years has really helped the club. Look at how we’ve progressed. Twentieth place! Ahahahahahahahaha!

• 27 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:52 PM

OurToon…I was saying not to sell Sissoko now, at least I think I was 🙂

My opinion has not yet changed on Anita. I think we are still lacking something in midfield, that neither Anita nor Colback (or Gouffran amazingly) can fill. Is Anita the complete midfielder? Nope. Do I think he can be, and has been a key player? Yes.

I’d be happy to see him upgraded, there are of course many better CM’s than Anita. I don’t see them at NUFC though.

Again, our team balance is off.

• 28 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:55 PM

Our club is run like a paper bag full of donkey droppings. Nobody wants to be anywhere near us. Who would come in if we’re miles away from safety at Christmas? Brendan Rodgers? He would have to be mad. What other clown would take over for Lee Charnley? We’ve hit rock bottom now. Ashley has reached new lows with us.

• 29 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Yes Ibiza mate, the balance is so far off that we couldn’t walk down a sidewalk without falling into the street. The club is run by idiots. I’ve even lost all faith in Carr by now. What a bag of donkey droppings we truly are….Harrumph!!!!

• 30 Our Toon // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Ibiza

I was shocked when Gouffran started against Citeh, personally I’d never have got rid of Abeid or Kemen for that matter. Anita and colback as a pairing is to weak, we need a midfield enforcer to sit. I’d even take a punt on Sandro of qpr on loan….If he’s still there!! Not overly great but a tough competitive player who’s an enforcer

• 31 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2015 at 4:58 PM

And yes I’m still wearing The Thong of Utter Desolation mates….People are casting worried glances my way and holding their breath as they walk past. I’m VERY DISAPPOINTED!!!!

• 32 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:00 PM

The feathers have fallen off this club!!! We’re not just resting!!!

• 33 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:02 PM

You see lads? I was right starting my panic extremely early this season. Others said not yet G2 mate. Don’t panic just yet! But I had it right didn’t I? In fact I think I’ll panic again now!!! Aaahhhhh! Aaaahhhhhh!!! We’re doomed!!! Doooooommmmmed!!!!

• 34 optimistic prime // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:06 PM

So Ashley will have to step in.

Like that January!

Another 5 like Debuchy Sissoko M’biwa Haidra and Gouffran, whoopi we’ll be…. Just as shite.

Then no signings for 18months.

No thanks

Maybe Ashley should step out or take a step off a tall cliff.

Ashley out.

• 35 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:08 PM

G2…I don’t think anyone can be associated with this mess and come out of it looking good, or innocent.

Carr will have things to answer, but really, if someone has made him, a scout, the be all and end all of footballing decisions at our club, then they deserve everything they get.

I still feel he’s being made an easy target, but can live with that, as long as we face up to who is making / allowing these calls in the first place.

OurToon…Both strange sales imo. Both young and showing potential. Neither recouped decent fees, and strangely, Steve didn’t have much time to assess either of them, after being told he was going to evaluate the whole squad.

Seeing as we’re trying to make our own luck (i’m being kind here, he did say “from THIS day forward we will be making our own luck”…maybe he meant bad luck?), I don’t see why we would need to take a gamble with a loan.

They need to go our and properly address the weaknesses in our squad. There are quite a few. But with some proper planning, enough can be done in the next window. More should have been done in the previous window.

• 36 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:09 PM

How the club could have got it so wrong in the summer is beyond me mates. Everyone on the planet knew we needed strengthening at CB. Everyone knew Colo was finished as well as Willo and Saylor. What did we do? Go out chasing wingers and MF’s with no experience. The previous big buy Cabella was a complete bust but we needed another big bust. And everyone knew we needed an experienced striker. But no, we had to go with youngsters. Lunacy. I’ve even lost faith with Carr completely now. The board is a joke. Ashley still pulls the strings and he’s a complete football idiot.

• 37 BrightonMag // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Well, for my sins I’m taking my youngest up for his first Newcastle game v Norwich…Just hope to god they actually put in a shift for 90 minutes, not just 45!

• 38 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:14 PM

We’re lying tits up at the bottom of the cage Brighton mate! Don’t be fooled!!! Don’t waste your money on a dead bird!!!

• 39 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Brighton…That might be for your sins, but what did your youngest do to deserve it? 🙂

• 40 BrightonMag // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:16 PM

I’m setting him up for a life of disappointment when it comes to football! Tbh, I rarely get up to Newcastle these days so like to see em if I can

• 41 Mister Tuff // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:16 PM

Our Toon – fair point about the opposition doubling up on Sissoko.

• 42 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:21 PM

Cabaye! Cabaye!
    We really want Cabaye!
    Cabella’s a fine fella, but we really want Cabaye!!!
    Well said blacksmith mate @22!
    Harrumph…

• 43 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Well, I’m really disgusted with the whole situation…..It’s put me off it has…..no footy this weekend. Not even third rate footy played by a bunch of wankers like ours……

• 44 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:25 PM

Thanks Bandb and Brightonmag.

Really appreciate it 🙂

When I told my lad what he’s got so far he couldn’t stop smiling. We had £205 before ed kindly put it up and now it’s at £365.

Let’s hope it gets even higher.

• 45 GeordieTwo // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:26 PM

What’s this all about A_C mate? What are the donations for? Sorry I didn’t get the memo…..

• 46 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:29 PM

If anyone has the urge to spread the word it’d be fantastic, feel free people.

No matter how little, it all helps 🙂

Many thanks,

Danny.

• 47 JamesToon // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:31 PM

Brighton

I’m going to that game as well, as well as looking at the uni the next day, hope your kid will have a experience and see us get our first win of the season!

• 48 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:34 PM

G2

Ed’s got a side note on his articles for a few days with a link to donate.

I posted this, this morning mate.

Hey lads n lasses

Don’t know if anyone’s noticed but at the bottom of ed’s article there’s a piece about my little lad who’s climbing Snowdon for macmillan and it’d be great if anyone could spare some cash and make a donation for a worthwhile cause. No amount is too small.

He decided to do it, off his own back because his school friends nan has just been diagnosed with cancer.

Not sure if anyone will remember but I did mention on here he wasn’t very well not so long ago (fluid on his hip and had to have an operationthe very same day or he could of lost his leg) so it’s going to be a struggle for him plus he’s only 6 so any extra motivation would be great

Thanks guys,

Danny.

• 49 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:36 PM

Posted this too.

There’s a link to the go fund me page there too. We tried to set up a just giving one straight to macmillan but couldn’t do it so what we’re going to do is withdraw all the donations out of his auntie’s bank and any cash donations he’s got and go to the bank to deposit it and get one of those silly cheques and get his picture taken with it.

And yes, you all know my name

Again, any help no matter how small will go a big way in helping him achieve the enormous task he’s set himself

• 50 Ravostag // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:39 PM

This club has got no idea how to sign players that will be succesful in the Premier League. We are obsessed with signing young imports who consistently fail to deliver. Young championship players would offer better value for money. The sad thing is that we have been overtaken by smaller clubs like Swansea, Southampton, Leicester, and dare I say Palace. Even the Bournemouth s and the Watfords seem to be on our level. The model is not working the last three Managers have proved that point. Money is continually being wasted we need at least 3 solid defenders including a goalkeeper.

• 51 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:40 PM

AC…You could go to your blog profile and add the Go Fund Me link, so people can just hit your name and go to the page?

• 52 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:40 PM

Sorry, I’m clogging up the blog.

I’m just made up with the response from people on here and quite excited about what my lad could raise. Eager beaver me.

• 53 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:41 PM

Ibiza

Didn’t know that, I’ll give it a whirl mate

• 54 Bambams // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:43 PM

Average Contents
    Total respect fella.
    As you say every little helps.
    Happy to help.
    Come on you lot let’s help
    Ashley if you are reading this. …Never mind about the CB !!!

• 55 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:43 PM

AC…I’ve done mine too. Let me know if you hit any probs.

• 56 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:45 PM

Thanks for the donation bambams.

Still trying ibiza lol

• 57 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:48 PM

AC… 🙂

Place your cursor over where it says “Howdy, You technophobe” and select “Edit my profile”.

Then scroll down below the name and username bit, and it should be right there. Paste this link:

Then “Update profile”.

• 58 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Ibiza

lol you tit. I’m on my phone mate

In the website bit? Think I’ve done it

• 59 Ibizatoon // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:54 PM

AC…Ah, I see, glad I could be of help 🙂

You’ve done it.

• 60 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 5:58 PM

Ta Mate 🙂

• 61 chiefone30 // Oct 8, 2015 at 6:05 PM

This is what I think about our starting line up, it’s obvious the problem is in our midfield

Mitrovic Perz

Garbage Garbage Garbage Gini

jammat colocini mbembe mbabu

Garbage

• 62 Munster Mag // Oct 8, 2015 at 6:21 PM

Average, did you get my donation?

• 63 Average_Contents // Oct 8, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Munster

Yes mate, thanks. Anonymous wasn’t it?

• 64 Munster Mag // Oct 8, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Our Toon, so you think Sissoko is right to articulate his opinions publicly about a fellow player, especially when he is doing sh1t himself ?? Good thinking dude.

• 65 Jib // Oct 8, 2015 at 6:36 PM

Schalke are fighting a losing battle against the Toon to keep Joel Matip.

His contract is up in June 2016.

Schalke are offering him a new contract at €3.5million a year but he is being very evasive
    and the website below believes he is Newcastle bound.

Whether it will be January or June is debatable but he is Toonbound.

• 66 Munster Mag // Oct 8, 2015 at 6:36 PM

I think so mate. It was from an Irish account and havent checked my balance. Your boy is tops, fair play to him.

• 67 lesh // Oct 8, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Ibiza

Don’t know how you can say that selling Abeid and Kemen were strange sales.

They were saleable and more to the point, off the payroll when they left.

You know how budget conscious (ie schidt scared to deviate from it) Charnley is. Getting rid of the other dead wood’s another problem he’ll have to deal with – or is he telling McClaren to make players of them!

Hey ho and the summer must be drawing to a close by now for you so, maybe it’s time to chill over a couple of beers, wines or whatever takes your fancy.

• 68 lesh // Oct 8, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Jib

You’re a very busy bunny we know and your summary of the Matip article’s helpful.

Being one with some influence, can’t you persuade the publisher to do so in English. Mainland Europeans can be sooo inconsiderate at times.

😉

• 69 Lindisfarne // Oct 8, 2015 at 6:48 PM

Jib/Jef/Jane

‘Toonbound’ is that the same as egg-bound?!!

• 70 Jib // Oct 8, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Rücksichtsloser Deutsch Wichser

• 71 Our Toon // Oct 8, 2015 at 7:05 PM

Munster

I’ll explain it in a simpler way mate, whenever something is translated back into another language it’s done so with bullshit intent to spark controversy. Don’t believe everything you read, unless you’ve seen the transcript and sissoko spoke in English.

Would you be so bothered if it was sissoko saying Colo is shite? If sissoko has said that in public he’s wrong for doing so and he can resolve it with his teammate, but has he apparently said anything that contradicts the beliefs most have on Thauvin if proven to be true….no he hasn’t. It’s a non issue which you cling to because you have a dislike for him!!

previous post: It Would Be A Mistake To Sell This Top Player In January

next post: Why Would Newcastle Want To Sign This French International?