The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

This Was An Alarming Decision By Steve McClaren

8:14 am, Friday, October 9th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

It was telling that with Jack Colback out injured for the game last Saturday at Manchester City Steve McClaren brought in winger Yoan Gouffran in defensive midfield and the Frenchman didn’t have a good game and was eventually replaced after 66 minutes of that game but Newcastle had folded completely and we were 6-1 down.

yoan gouffran

Yoan Gouffran in action at the Etihad

It was the biggest defeat Newcastle had suffered for some time and in the last two games at Manchester  City we have lost by a cumulative score of 11-1.

They are not really our favorite team to play and the last time we didn’t lose in a league game to them stretches back to October of 2008.

The 6-1 loss was not a good time with the two week International break upon us and Newcastle rock bottom of the Premier League.

We suppose it’s not surprising it’s been all doom and gloom this week and it will get worse until we can start picking up some wins in the league and getting some points on the board.

Yoan was a regular in the team when Alan Pardew was at the club when he was played on the wing because of his hard work and willingness to track back.

To play him in central midfield against the talent of Manchester City is a measure of how poor a team we still seem to have this season and a very poor decision by McClaren.

This is what Yoan has said in the Chronicle today:

“It was difficult for me because sometimes I was not in the squad.” “I just worked hard in training and when Jack Colback was injured the manager told me I would play.”

“I have to wait for opportunities. I am 29 and I know I can play in the Premier League.” “You have to respect the choice of the manager.”

“It would have been better to play again quickly but it’s the international break.” “We have to work. We have two weeks to work to try to get the first win.”

“I think we played very well in the first half.” “We had chances to score more goals but we didn’t score.”

“I don’t know what changed in the second half. We didn’t defend together.” “Aguero is a very good player but if we had played like we did in the first half he wouldn’t have scored those goals.”

“It’s really difficult to explain why we lost.”

We lost because in the first 20 minutes of the second half we played nowhere near as well as we had done in the first half and that’s one of the big problems at Newcastle – we run hot and cold all the time.

There is a lack of confidence with the players after what has become a terrible 2015 for Newcastle United and unless the players and the coaching staff can get to grips with the problems we have it’s going to be another very tough season for fans.

Yes – yet another one.

Something is seriously wrong with Newcastle, but a couple of wins will restore the confidence of the players.

If we cannot take points from the next two games against Norwich and Sunderland we will be in really serious trouble.

Note: Hi, my name is Ben Rushton, I am 6 years old and want to raise money for the McMillan Cancer Support.

I am going to climb Mount Snowdon with my Mum, Dad and Auntie Nic and I will do my very best to get to the top while keeping everyone updated on my way up. I will be doing this on 18th October 2015 in 2 weeks time.

Please see if you can donate here to help me help other people – thanks.

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League · Yoan Gouffran

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:19 AM

Lads need some assistance
    Just started work and my mate mentioned how well the irish did. He then went on to say ‘ who was that gangly irish winger we had a few years ago. Played only a handful of games and drifted away.
    It’s not Gillespie or Mick O’Neil. ..
    This allegedly is a player in the last 5-7 years.
    Any ideas ?
    I can’t think of anyone

• 2 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Err, Duff…

Seriously, he probably means young Alan O’Brien. Think he went to Hibs and then gradually drifted in to the lower leagues.

• 3 Bambams // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:27 AM

Just found out…
    Alan Obrien. Allegedly made only one first team start.

• 4 Bambams // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:28 AM

Lilongwe Geordie
    Cheers fella. My mate text me as well.
    I can’t even picture him.

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:29 AM

Another for Arma last night. Great stuff. One of the few bright spots so far this season. Like to see him step up a level in January and have a crack at the Championship.

• 6 Ibizatoon // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:31 AM

It doesn’t happen often, but seeing Liverpool get Klopp as manager has left me somewhat envious.

I mean, read this from their chairman:

“When an opportunity presents itself to acquire one of the most sought-after leaders in the game, it is something you have to pursue decisively and we are delighted he has accepted our invitation.

“He possesses all the qualities we are looking for in a manager – he is a strong, inspirational leader, who has a clear philosophy of high energy, attacking football. Critically, he is also a winner and someone who can connect with and enthuse our supporters.

“It is our job now to support Jürgen every step of the way and help him achieve his full potential at this great football club.

“He is enthusiastic about the squad of players and wants the team to fight to achieve success this season and beyond. His attitude is infectious and we believe it will lift the entire club.”

Someone should tell them they didn’t mention finding a horse.

• 7 catchy in norway // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:31 AM

The big mistake was getting rid of both mhedi and jonas and jeeping players like obertan and goofy, 2 that could offer something for 2 stealing a living from us

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:33 AM

Bambams,
    Quick and fairly skilful young winger, but never really kicked on from 18/19 years old. The one chance he got on loan was at Carlisle of Hartlepool I think, but he picked up an injury early on and never went on loan again, stayed as back up and never progressed. Think he played a couple of times for Ireland as well while with us.

• 9 catchy in norway // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:44 AM

Ibiza

It’s great business for Liverpool , shame there squad is crap, coutinio is the only good player they have

• 10 Ibizatoon // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Catchy…We shall see, but I’m happy to guess that he gets more from a crap squad in a shorter time than McClaren.

He’ll create a feelgood factor.

• 11 nufc 11 // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:55 AM

After last night’s game against Germany nufc could really do with derby trio Keogh christie and Jeff henderick they died out on the pitch for the Irish cause and got the win refreshing to see players give everything they have these type players are badly needed at nufc.

• 12 hibbit // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:56 AM

catchy…going to be interesting to see what a great coach can do with crap players maybe we could try it ??

• 13 Bambams // Oct 9, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Lilongwe Geordie
    Cheers for that fella. I must admit I still don’t remember him.
    It’s an age thing….

• 14 sing in the corner // Oct 9, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Ed quit messin with me head. This article said ‘This was a POOR decision by Steve McClaren’ when I read it this morning!? 🙂

previous post: This Is The Real Question To Ask About Alan Pardew