The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Youngster Could Be A Surprise Success At Newcastle

4:30 pm, Friday, October 9th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 44 Comments

It will be very interesting to see what Newcastle do with 19 year-old  Ivan Toney this season and from what we’ve seen of the 19 year-old so far this season he looks to be a very decent signing.

And since he’s English and he is used to English football after playing 60 games with 13 goals for his home town club Northampton, maybe this lad can come through for us this season – but that will depend on whether Steve McClaren sends him out on loan or keeps him on Tyneside.

Ivan Toney +Newcastle+United+v+Northampton+9yWMPD5HYtSl

Ivan Toney – he could surprise us this season

Ivan has made a good start to his Newcastle career and he has been named the Barclays Premier League U21 Player of the Month for September.

Ivan has already made three first-team appearances for Newcastle and it seems Steve McClaren is hesitant about whether to send him out on loan – maybe because he’s impressed in training.

But he’s looked comfortable enough when he’s played for the first team and maybe this is a reason why that Newcastle should be signing more British players who are already used to the physical way football is played in England.

Ivan has been interviewed in the Mail today and here are the questions put to him and his answers.

Question: What has been like training and playing for Newcastle’s senior side?

Ivan Toney: “The first time I trained I thought: ‘Wow, this is tough.’ But you quickly adapt and I soon found I was playing at the same tempo as the first-team players.”

Question: Who do you look up to in the first team?

Ivan Toney: “The way Papiss Cisse is so clinical in front of goal is something I admire. Aleksandar Mitrovic is the same, but he’s also very physical and brings others into the game.”

Question: What is Mitrovic like, he’s a bit of a character?

Ivan Toney: “When he doesn’t get his own way then he has a little huff, but he soon gets on with things and he’s a very good player.”

Question: What did that feel like coming on in front of 50,000 against Chelsea with it live on TV as well?

Ivan Toney: “It was incredible, a dream come true. I’m normally playing against these players on FIFA, all of a sudden I’m standing alongside them on the pitch. Hopefully someone will feel like that playing against me one day!”

Question: Do you feel you’re ready for first-team?

Ivan Toney: “I think I’m capable of anything. If they throw me in the first team at the deep end then I can handle it. But that’s up to the manager to decide if he believes in me.”

Question: Are you looking to go out on loan – what are your plans for next 12 months?

Ivan Toney: “I just want to play football. I’d be happy to go out on loan and I’m sure the club will make the right decision for my development.”

Those are good answers from the teenager and we wait to see what McClaren decides to do with the 19 year-old this season.

We have big hopes about what Ivan can achieve on Tyneside.

Note: Hi, my name is Ben Rushton, I am 6 years old and want to raise money for the McMillan Cancer Support.

I am going to climb Mount Snowdon with my Mum, Dad and Auntie Nic and I will do my very best to get to the top while keeping everyone updated on my way up. I will be doing this on 18th October 2015 in 2 weeks time.

Please see if you can donate here to help me help other people – thanks.

Tags: Ivan Toney · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth · Premier League

44 responses so far ↓

• 1 The next Mike Williamson // Oct 9, 2015 at 4:41 PM

He has to go out on loan, otherwise he’ll be twenty next season and completely wasted a year just for the sake of a few 3 minute cameos. Armstrong wasted last year and went backwards.

• 2 toon kk // Oct 9, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Toney wouldn’t surprise me, its no surprise he’s not good enough for the premier league, like most of our squad. Thats why we’re bottom of the league.

• 3 croftus5678 // Oct 9, 2015 at 4:54 PM

tooney is a true no9 and reminds me of the way leon best used to play for us ! i dont think he will be an icon or idol like arma will hopefully be but he does have the skill and attitude to be a very effective player in years to come.

• 4 Jib // Oct 9, 2015 at 4:57 PM

There’s quite a good vid on NUFCtv.
    Aarons Toney and M’Babu share a flat and seem good pals.
    I woudn’t be the least surprised if all 3 are 1st team regulars by season’s end.

• 5 Jib // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Allardyce has said he is only interested in managing Sunderland on a short term deal.

How much is survival worth to Sunderland ?

Allardyce if he was prepared to gamble could make a fortune if he went for a deal of no wages , but a percentage of the Sky money if the scum stay up.

• 6 Graeme // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:21 PM

scum having difficulty in giving their Home tickets away for the Derby. Home fans now limited to no more than SIX tickets per member – the Away tickets are sold out!!!

• 7 AncientC // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:23 PM

Managing Sunderland right now… has there ever been a less desirable job in the Premier League.

Allardyce was getting (approximately) £3 million per year at West Ham – I personally believe he would want more than that to sully himself with the Sunderland job. If they can afford to get Allardyce, then you cannot question the clubs effort to stay up.

Here we have McClaren whose contract is “heavily incentivised,” which is just another way of saying he isn’t paid very much. The strange twist is that McClaren claims he isn’t motivated by money… you can instantly see the attraction there.

• 8 cyprus // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:30 PM

This Toney COULD be good. Like that True Geordie said, we sign too many ‘maybe’ players. We ain’t Arsenal, we can’t afford that. We need some ready ones in order to play 11 v. 11.

• 9 cyprus // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:33 PM

I disagree with him and many posters here that they must be proven PL players. Most of the best players in the PL came from other leagues.

Just di that scouting thing right, Carr. Yep, you man. e.g.that Thauvin, 13 mil. He should’ve been flying before he got on the plane to NUFC man. Come on: snap out of it, Graham.

• 10 Average_Contents // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:37 PM

Hey lads n lasses

Don’t know if anyone’s noticed but at the bottom of ed’s article there’s a piece about my little lad who’s climbing Snowdon for macmillan and it’d be great if anyone could spare some cash and make a donation for a worthwhile cause. No amount is too small.

He decided to do it, off his own back because his school friends nan has just been diagnosed with cancer.

Not sure if anyone will remember but I did mention on here he wasn’t very well not so long ago (fluid on his hip and had to have an operation) so it’s going to be a struggle for him plus he’s only 6 so any extra motivation would be great

Thanks to those who have already donated.

Thanks guys,

• 11 Jib // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:45 PM

I think the parsimony of NUFC runs deeper than the current regime .

SBR in his autobiography said when he left Barcelona and agreed to talk to to the Toon , Freddy Shepherd’s first salary offer was insulting , and it was clear he was way out of touch .

• 12 NezzaNUFC // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:46 PM

I think the next 3 games will decide McClaren fate at Newcastle unless Mike takes a huge gamble and sticks with him until the end.

Don’t forget it was Mike who wanted a manager who can improve the team whilst developing youth players into the first team , Mbabu looks impressive and Toney hasn’t had his chance yet.

McClaren ain’t Mike’s type of manager but Lee signed him up anyway.

If McClaren doesn’t get results against Norwich, Sunderland and Stoke I think not only will McClaren get the sack but also Lee will be following him.

• 13 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM

how does the link work, and mind me asking, is it secure?

id love to help out a bit, if American dollars are acceptable.. 🙂

• 14 Tinman // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Can’t wait to see Klopp in the Premier League. Think he will be a breath of fresh air. Like Van Gaal’s honesty too. Two characters who will make the prem more interesting. Klopp has more personality than McClaren in his little toe

• 15 Blackstarbullet // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:50 PM

Toney has just been voted Barclays U.21’s player of the month.
    This lad will break into the main squad this season, of that I have no doubt.

• 16 NezzaNUFC // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:54 PM

Send Toney out on loan for the rest of the season, next season have Toney and Armstrong pairing as strikers in pre season and see how they work together.

First though get rid of McClaren, Lee and Carr, then win something to get rid of Mike Ashley, job done!

• 17 Average_Contents // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:55 PM

The link on this site sends you to “go fund me” and yes it’s secure mate.

I’m sure it’d convert automatically to GBP as munster donated in euros I believe and it came through on our end as pounds.

Thanks fella.

• 18 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:56 PM

“I soon found I was playing at the same tempo as the first-team players.”

• 19 NezzaNUFC // Oct 9, 2015 at 5:57 PM

Black star bullet didn’t Campbell have the same thing last season or the season before?

• 20 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 9, 2015 at 6:00 PM

always happy to help a family member 🙂

even if our family is quite dysfunctional at times lol..

• 21 Sack Llambias // Oct 9, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Mr Funk

• 22 Jib // Oct 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM

Looks like a good atmosphere building up this evening with the Kiwis and Tongans in the Toon.

• 23 Mister Tuff // Oct 9, 2015 at 6:14 PM

Hiss, hiss – I think he’s about. He’ll be turning up shortly.

• 24 JamesToon // Oct 9, 2015 at 6:33 PM

No doubt Allardyce will beat us in the Derby and eventually keep the mackem said up. Actually think he’ll be alright for them

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Oct 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Sack Llambias,
    Have you ever in your time on the blog moaned about or supported Ashley, named a team sheet or even made a valid point ?

• 26 lesh // Oct 9, 2015 at 6:35 PM

Klippety’s aiming to win the Prem in four years.

Compare that with Ashley’s ambition – to maximise profits by buying and selling players.

Oh, nearly forgot that he says he wants to win a cup or something.

Maybe he should try playing bingo or have a go on the coconut shy at the hoppings next time around and he might win replacements for our so-called football board members!

• 27 Jail for Ashley // Oct 9, 2015 at 6:37 PM

Great way for him to be hated by his own as well, we’ll hump them three nil this time round, surely they wouldn’t have Nolan and vice versa !

• 28 lesh // Oct 9, 2015 at 6:41 PM

Assuming the next three games result in McClaren being relieved of his HC role, who in hell’s gonna replace him? The cat?

There’s not a hope that Ashley’d agree to or we’d even be able to recruit a credible replacement – such is the shambles he’s created.

• 29 lesh // Oct 9, 2015 at 6:44 PM

Nolan and Joey Barton’d be good short-term signings for us.

Whether they’d agree to come back or Ashley’d swallow his pride to sign ’em’s another matter.

• 30 welshgeordie9 // Oct 9, 2015 at 6:45 PM

Did you try and tell a joke earlier on.

• 31 welshgeordie9 // Oct 9, 2015 at 6:46 PM

Jail for Ashley

When was the last time you was in a good mood, must have been years ago.

• 32 Sir Eric // Oct 9, 2015 at 7:01 PM

No way we’d be getting Barton. He’s already playing for Burnley

• 33 Jib // Oct 9, 2015 at 7:10 PM

I met a Geni yesterday who granted me one wish. “I want to live forever,” I said.

“Sorry,” said the Geni, “I’m not allowed to grant wishes like that.”

“Fine,” I said, “I want to die when Newcastle United win the premier league.”

“You crafty bugger!” said the Geni

• 34 Jail for Ashley // Oct 9, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Can you imagine Blatter and Ashley being jailed, I’d be in a good mood then squelchy !

• 35 welshgeordie9 // Oct 9, 2015 at 7:20 PM

Today a man knocked on my door and asked for a small donation towards the local swimming pool. I gave him a glass of water.

• 36 Graeme // Oct 9, 2015 at 7:21 PM

Jail – you have more chance of winning tonights Euromillions mate!!!

• 37 Average_Contents // Oct 9, 2015 at 7:26 PM

This off the sister in law

Absolutely made up. Hwtf nufc we are UNITED.

• 38 Jib // Oct 9, 2015 at 7:33 PM

Mark Durden-Smith just introduced the Rugby World cup coverage twixt The All Blacks and Tonga with the words.(at SJP)

“A Friday night out in the Toon should be at the top of everyone’s wish list ”

How true How true

• 39 Jib // Oct 9, 2015 at 7:38 PM

Ma’a Nonu’s 100th cap for NZ –what a player!!

• 40 welshgeordie9 // Oct 9, 2015 at 7:38 PM

I would love to spend the night out in the toon, but unfortunately it’s not exactly a 15 minute drive for me, more 6 or 7 hour drive.

• 41 welshgeordie9 // Oct 9, 2015 at 7:41 PM

Surprise Surprise no shelvey.

• 42 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 9, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Allardyce. Another lazy, unambitious appointment by a North East club. Who’s Graham Carr’s equivalent down the road?

• 43 Sack Llambias // Oct 9, 2015 at 8:20 PM

I assure you I have not changed on Allardyce and I am opposed to Mike Ashley as I have ever been. I got sick of our terrible football in the derby games and the results and realised I could not do with Ashley policies any longer.

• 44 daffy // Oct 10, 2015 at 1:01 AM

Post 7 – answer yes = you lot , your bottom remember ?
    You complete jock strap