The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

He’ll Be Like A Bear With A Sore Head

8:47 pm, Monday, October 12th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 54 Comments

Since May of this year former Newcastle goalkeeper Steve Harper has been a  free agent after his contract was not extended at Hull City – who were relegated to the Championship last May.

Steve is the longest serving player in Newcastle United’s history having been at the club for twenty years from the summer of 1993 when Kevin Keegan signed him from his home town club Seaham Red Star.

steve harper the last farewell

Steve Harper – after his last game for Newcastle in 2013

The ACL injury that the unlucky Tim Krul picked up on Saturday night in Kazakhstan is one of the worst injuries you can get in football.

In the past it ended good careers – and one that comes to mind is that of Brian Clough – who at the young age of 27 picked up the injury playing for Sunderland after colliding with a goalkeeper.

Brian tried to return to the game two years later but he managed only three games before he finally retired from the game to go on to become one of the greatest English managers of all time.

We know that’s true because that’s what Brian said.

And of course here is in one of his very many famous quotes:

“I wouldn’t say I was the best manager in the business. But I was in the top one.”

Even though Brian essentially played only until the age of 27 he still managed to score 251 goals in 274 total appearances for Middlesbrough and Sunderland combined.

Back to Tim Krul.

This is what the 40 year-old Harper told Sky Sports News:

“It is an awful injury,” “People say that breaks are better than cruciate injuries and he has got to write off the rest of the season and concentrate on getting himself right.”

“He has had one or two injuries recently as well so just when he was looking forward to getting back to top form it has come at an awful time. “He won’t be a good patient, knowing him.”

“He’ll be like a bear with a sore head in and around the training ground and medical room but I wish him a speedy and full recovery.”

Even though Steve Harper was at Newcastle for twenty years he played 199 games for us with Tim Krul currently on 185 appearances.

We have to hope that Tim has a full and complete recovery from his ACL and as soon as possible.

Tags: Injuries · Newcastle News · Steve Harper · Tim Krul

54 responses so far ↓

• 1 lochinvar // Oct 12, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Sign him – we need the cover

• 2 Jib // Oct 12, 2015 at 8:51 PM

Tim’s not the type to mooch around beating his chest and crying “woe is me” he’ll be giving it large at Benton cheering the lads on and probably have some input on matchdays.

• 3 Graeme // Oct 12, 2015 at 8:55 PM

One for Welshie!!!

• 4 Jib // Oct 12, 2015 at 8:55 PM

I remember when Cheik scored the equaliser against Arsenal in 2011 (I think ) he ran the full length of the pitch towards Harps and when they all piled on top Harps just flopped down next to the pile of players.

• 5 Jib // Oct 12, 2015 at 8:57 PM

So Jane
    Is Graeme a multiple too or just a dickhead that likes to join the blog bullies ?

• 6 Tsunki // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:00 PM

Ouch! Cannonball.

• 7 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Jibber Jabber
    How does your link on the previous thread show that Caulkin coined it?

Besides, you accept that SBR probably said it even if you claim Caulkin coined it. So was SBR not a real toon fan?

It’s not a big deal really. All you have to do is hold your hands up. Unless of course you have some real evidence that you just haven’t shared with us yet?

• 8 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:13 PM

Is this article about Tim Krul, Steve Harper, or Brian Clough? The first two paragraphs (the intro) simply give the reader background on Steve Harper. I’m bamboozled.

• 9 Tsunki // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:14 PM

Jeff rarely has any concrete knowledge to back up his sniping. He does it even though hour has a 90% fail rate.

• 10 Average_Contents // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:16 PM

Aww it’s getting all defensive for it’s fake Welsh self.

Comedy gold this is.

Accusing other’s of being multiples whilst discussing it with itself.

You couldn’t make it up.

• 11 Jib // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:24 PM

In all that verbiage , the only worthwhile thing you said was “it’s not a big deal really”

If you are genuinely having problems understanding Eds articles may I recommend

• 12 jimmysmith // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:25 PM

It’s hard to judge if Harry’s right. It’s just another throw away opinion from an outsider looking in. He’s no expert on Newcastle. But when you consider how little we’ve had from Collocini, Tiote, Cisse, and even Sissoko, probably our biggest names, it does suggest we are carrying a burden that was the opposite of what was planned and hoped for.

• 13 welshgeordie9 // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Just because we beat you and you are out don’t take it out on me.

Ha ha ha

• 14 BandB // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:45 PM

Hi jimmy,

I wasn’t going to let you kill the blog with the first attempt to talk about football all night 🙂
    I think it is too early to say he hasn’t got the players. He needs to instil some self-respect into them. The players have no excuse for losing their self-respect.

• 15 Average_Contents // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:47 PM

Yes they do. When your employer has no self respect in business dealings and we’re viewed as a business then….

• 16 Jib // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:48 PM

B and B
    I beg your very pardon
    I opened this string with 2 comments about young Timmy Krul and old Steve Harper

• 17 angelswithdirtyfaces // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:48 PM

Jib // Oct 12, 2015 at 8:57 PM
    So Jane

Jeff… I can never understand why you continue to think you are somehow not in the category of blog bully and dickhead ?
    Amazing abilities of cognitive dissonance.

• 18 Jib // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:52 PM

I think I know McClaren’s character ( I may be wrong – I was once – However I found out later I was right but that’s another story)
    He’s not a quitter and the more the setbacks mount up the more determined he will become.

• 19 BandB // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:56 PM

Sorry Jib,

I must have dozed off for an hour and a half at around seven.
    Along with everyone else.
    Twice in one day too……..

• 20 Jib // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:58 PM

What contradictory beliefs do I manifest.

I think B and B would say “au contraire”
    Jib demonstrates an unusually focussed and unswerving course .

• 21 Jib // Oct 12, 2015 at 9:59 PM

B and B
    Sounds like an iron deficiency
    May I recommend liver and onions

• 22 croftus5678 // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:06 PM

“if” we get darlow back from injury and have elliott/woodman as cover then i’ll be happy tbh as both elliott and darlow are prem class quality !

avg prem quality but still it could do darlow a service as the lad has a lot of promise.

• 23 Tsunki // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Chicken pox jeff popping up all over the place and causing relentless irritation.

• 24 Tsunki // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:12 PM

So jeff about that 90% fail rate. Any ideas how to get that rate down? I mean without a search engine. Tough one that.

• 25 Tsunki // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:15 PM

I’m sure there’s a picture of you somewhere in your shorts and home knitted cardie spragging on your little bestie to the teacher for pinching plasticine from the craft cupboard. Did she enjoy your coconut haystacks?

• 26 Mister Tuff // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:18 PM

Jib Jibberish irritates more than a pox on a wild dogs bollocks.
    As if the irritation wasn’t bad enough – he knows nowt about the Toon or football in general.
    The only surprise tonight is that the master multiple Norman Bates hasn’t appeared in his latest form as the blogs volunteer victim swinging his handbag to aid his prodige.

• 27 jimmysmith // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:18 PM

I’d be happy to see Cisse sold in Jan, and in hindsight it clearly looks like he should have been sold beforehand. Tiote in form would really add some much needed bite and impetus to our midfield, but he looks disenchanted too. The other two are good players, who can contribute a lot if McClaren can get us going in the next few games, if not we are in real trouble, and they probably would need to go too. That would leave us in a terribly precarious place in January of course.

• 28 Offkey // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Tough times at the moment but some ‘winnable’ games coming up…….you would hope. Feel desperately sorry for krul but it provides an opportunity to darlow who will hopefully shine and a change to the old guard might change dynamics positively…….clutching here.

I am still hopeful of comfortable survival but my mood on this may change depending on the outcome of the next 6. Reserving judgement for this time.

• 29 Tsunki // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:22 PM

Jeff have you and Google fallen out? She isn’t talking to you lately by the look. When I asked, she told me about lots of instances of Toon fans referring to sjp as the Cathedral on the Hill and quite a few times referring to it as a favourite saying of SBR. But she never told you that eh? Hell hath no fury like a search engine scorned I suppose. 😉

• 30 Tsunki // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Just think if we do upset the soap box and beat the dirty mackems against the run, we can say we did it with half our team injured.

• 31 Jib // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:28 PM

If you go back a couple of articles you will see I have thanked you for unwittingly supporting my assertion .

• 32 croftus5678 // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:33 PM

imo our only good cm’s are sissoko/colback and wijnaldum the rest are good at one thing or another but fail and give the ball away too easily when they have to defend or attack.

push sissoko into the middle where he made his name and he can use his energy and strength then push janmaat further up field as he offers so much to our front line that even our best attackers can not offer.

• 33 croftus5678 // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:36 PM

seriously have great would janmaat be as a winger ? he’d be great at covering the rb when out of possition and adding a 5th defender when needed but further forward the goals and assists would surely stack up !

janmaat and debuchy would be an awsome pairing imo.

• 34 jimmysmith // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Add the oft injured and missing Taylor to that group, along with Obertan, Rivierre, Marveaux, Willo,, and younger players still to establish themselves as good enough, Haidarra, Dummett, Aarons, Lascelles, Mbabu, even Thauvin. Leaving players like Anita and Colback as essentially first names on the team sheet. Then you might think Harry is only pointing out what appears obvious. Mmmm.

• 35 Tsunki // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Jeff I dud check and no I didn’t. I just predated yours. And showed how your assertion that it came from one journalist was a cackhanded statement founded on nothing but supposition. And if you’ve been reading up to now you’ll realise Google left you in the lurch.

• 36 Tsunki // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:45 PM

Did check. But a dud check works as well.

• 37 BandB // Oct 12, 2015 at 10:54 PM

It’s a set-up that requires everything that’s available to be firing at maximum at all times just for us to be competitive, Jimmy.
    As you say, a lot of players with question marks over them
    And we need three or four of them need to answer in the right way before Christmas.

• 38 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 12, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Oh my, Cisse has resorted to voodoo rituals to sort his form out haha.

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Oct 12, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Got to be better than putting your head up your
    ar$e and waiting till your contract runs out I suppose ?

• 40 jimmysmith // Oct 12, 2015 at 11:23 PM

I think we are carrying too many players who aren’t contributing. I don’t think it’s part of the club’s system, as much as a consequence of a transition that hasn’t been particularly well managed. Surely they hadn’t planned it this way. They messed up, again, and this is the early stages of rebuilding. If not, if it is our system, we are in real trouble. I’m assuming, perhaps hoping too much, that our system is evolving.

• 41 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 12, 2015 at 11:28 PM

I wish he would wipe that smile off his face when he is awful! Apparantly some other player placed a curse on him it won’t name who though. Wonder who that was?

• 42 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 12, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Jibber Jabber

I’m simply offering Ed some constructive criticism of his articles with the sole aim of improvement of the blog.

You shouldn’t make your reader work too hard. It’s well known that readers will quickly switch off and move on if you do. I know Ed produces decent articles but some of them recently have needed some serious editing.

This latest article starts with two paragraphs on Steve Harper’s background; the reader doesn’t see the relevance. Then it jumps to Tim Krul’s injury without any link. Then it digresses to Brian Clough, his classic quotes and his record. Then it says “Back to Tim Krul”.

It’s only near the end that we find out how why were getting all this information. The kernel of the article can be divined from the paragraph:

“Steve Harper has today commiserated with Tim Krul – who will have a long rehabilitation before he can come back to playing again – maybe if he’s lucky by pre-season next summer – but there’s no guarantee of that.”

I’m sure if Ed can happily criticise in the blogosphere John Carver’s professionalism, even tangentially when it has little or no bearing to his articles, he will accept some constructive criticism from me in relation to his own work.

• 43 Jail for Ashley // Oct 12, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Jimmy, Jimmy, Jimmy,
    I love your blind faith but where is the evidence we are rebuilding, from what, the last shambles ? We’ve spent more money on more untested players as opposed to buy out clauses and end of contracts, they are still gambles that will be sold if they come good, how can a mindset that didn’t want to win a cup change just like that, they should actually be charged with crimes against football for admitting they didn’t want to compete in cup competitions!

• 44 Jail for Ashley // Oct 12, 2015 at 11:42 PM

I thought you and jiberish were kindred spirits ?

• 45 BandB // Oct 12, 2015 at 11:43 PM

You are really agonising over this jimmy aren’t you?
    And wanting things to turn out for the best.
    I really enjoy seeing you quietly thinking it through on here and always look forward to reading it.
    I do.

• 46 Jail for Ashley // Oct 12, 2015 at 11:45 PM

Do you actually read any of Ed’s articles anymore ?

• 47 jimmysmith // Oct 12, 2015 at 11:48 PM

Ha, yeah, it’s true, I’m in it. For better or worse.. Guilty as charged. I’m sure I’m not the only one.

• 48 BandB // Oct 12, 2015 at 11:49 PM

I bloody hope you are(n’t)

• 49 jimmysmith // Oct 12, 2015 at 11:57 PM

Jail, it’s not blind faith. You’re being a bit naughty there. I wouldn’t apply such a simplistic and dismissive tag to your views

• 50 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 13, 2015 at 12:06 AM

Jibber Jabber and me, kindred spirits? Not likely. Just think old Jibber is good value. You can’t knock him back with a shitty stick. He’s bulletproof.

Do I read Ed’s articles? They help me keep up with what’s going on where I previously scanned NewsNow. But more quality less quantity would be preferable because some are hard going.

• 51 Jail for Ashley // Oct 13, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Maybe I’m wrong, and after eight years of cold hearted, SD driven mis management that Mashers has had a change of heart and has decided to make us a success, putting Lee Churnley in charge of it all doesn’t fill me full of hope though, Bob Moncur a board member, a relegated Beardo in charge of the youth set up, club heroes in need of jobs, misplaced PR.

• 52 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 13, 2015 at 12:08 AM

Do you read his articles?

• 53 Jail for Ashley // Oct 13, 2015 at 12:12 AM

He’s not bullet proof at all, he’ll just disappear when proved wrong, won’t hold his hands up or apologise but straight off the mark when you do a typo or get a stat wrong because you haven’t googled it first.

• 54 jimmysmith // Oct 13, 2015 at 12:23 AM

Yes, but don’t you think you accentuate the negative? Isn’t there also another side to the coin? And aren’t they all, positive and negative and neutral, just indicators of varying size and weight, and not evidence at all.

previous post: By Sunday It Will Be Looking Fantastic