The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Some Serious Questions From Fans Will Need Answers

2:50 pm, Tuesday, October 13th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 93 Comments

The next Newcastle Fans Forum was due to take place this Thursday evening and that would have seem to be a good time to get some real feedback from the likes of Lee Charnley the Managing Director and head coach Steve McClaren about the status of Newcastle this season – and it’s not good.

The Fans Forum is a collection of organization and fans that represent the supporters of the club across a wide spectrum and the last meeting was an upbeat one with the newly appointed Steve McClaren attending the meeting and answering lots of questions.

newcastle fans

Newcastle fans – represented by the Fans Forum members

But the meeting has now been put back to a week tomorrow which will before the local derby with Sunderland – so let’s hope we can pick up our first win against Norwich next Sunday.

And we hope Steve McClaren will be able to attend the meeting and answer some serious questions from concerned fans.

Even when things are going badly – as they are now – these meetings are still important and hopefully we’ll get some real truthful feedback on how the club are approaching this crisis.

One thing we haven’t seen too much of from the club over the last year or two is some courage – especially at the executive levels.

There will no doubt be calls for Mike Ashley to attend and it would be good if he could do that – but in reality there’s very little chance of him ever attending one of these meetings.

Maybe even somebody like captain Fabricio Coloccini could attend the meeting?

It’s  part of Lee Charnley’s job to meet with fans and to explain to them what the club is trying to do and what they may do in the upcoming January transfer window – depending on what our status is at that  time.

This meeting is even more important than usual and there will be some serious questions being asked by the representatives of the Newcastle supporters at the meeting.

What do you think?

Tags: Fans · Fans Forum · Newcastle News · Other News

93 responses so far ↓

• 1 hibbit // Oct 13, 2015 at 2:55 PM

i think the next 3 games will have a huge impact on our season if we can pick up some points great but if we don’t it’s going to be a long hard pull till january by which time we could be a lost cause

• 2 hibbit // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:00 PM

ED …….only if the club allow these serious questions on the agenda which the tend not too

• 3 Ibizatoon // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:05 PM

Was there any reason behind putting the meeting back?

Reason I ask, is I remember the ’emergency’ meeting that got called towards the end of last season, that got put back and back. It seemed like they were waiting for a win first. Could this be the case?

I can see where they’re coming from. It’ll be far easier to call for patience after a win.

• 4 BandB // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:23 PM

I imagine the mood at the Forum would be transformed to supine gratitude and relieved determination not to ask impertinent questions should we manage a win or even a plucky draw before then.

• 5 barkel // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Have to agree with you there Ibiza, it’s a dangerous game if we don’t beat Norwich though!

On previous, I would like to see Cisse with Mitro even though it would be unfair not to play Perez, he has been quite good when he has played so far. I’d half expect 442 with Perez on the left and Gini going in the middle with any of Anita, Colback, Tiote and Sissoko on the right

• 6 al-k-traz // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:25 PM

As a Forum member I can tell you that there is nothing sinister about the scheduling of this meeting. Trying to get everyone together for this first meeting with the six new fan delegates proved difficult.

• 7 Ibizatoon // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:30 PM

BandB…Well, there’s no sense asking gloomy questions, when we’d be so clearly on the path of recovery now, would there? That’s not what real fans do, after all.

Barkel…Dangerous if? Come on now, surely we just HAVE to win this one?

al-k-traz….I can’t recall ever seeing a forum member posting on here (at least they haven’t said they are), so Hello!

Was there any explanation given, as to why the emergency FF meet never took place?

• 8 Mister Tuff // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Fans Forum.
    Interesting why the next meeting has been re-scheduled maybe it will be mentioned in the minutes.
    There are going to be 8 new Forum members taking part at the meeting. I hope they are able to ask some relevant questions and get some reasonable answers – not like some of the answers in recent meetings.
    I hope the new members are not overawed by their new roles -as unless you are experienced I think people could be reticent asking meaningful questions.
    It would appear that the last group were in contact “outside of club interference” so hopefully they may act as one in respect of the major issues at the club.

I’d be very surprised if Wally turns up -especially if we lose the next game. However, if he does I would imagine most questions would be aimed at him -fans may not be so “sweet” with him this time around.

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:34 PM

Was getting behind the lads at the trust and having them reinstated ever discussed ?

• 10 The next Mike Williamson // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:34 PM

I think we’ll get about 4-6 points from our next three games which will be enough for McClaren to stumble on a bit longer. Then we’ll hear the 5% that wanted him in coming on saying I told you so. Personally, I think he’s always been a crap manager and it’s unlikely he’ll suddenly change, and in today’s premier league with all the world’s elite managers he looks even worse than he did with Boro.

• 11 TacoFlavoredKisses ForMyBen-arfa // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:34 PM

i think serious questions need to be answered by anyone that think cisse(lazy) should partner with mitro over perez.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:36 PM

I remember when Pardew was supposed to appear on Total Sport for a Q&A, never happened, no reason or apology given ?

• 13 Mister Tuff // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:36 PM

al-k-traz – just noticed your post.
    The official site were asking for 8 new members. You mentioned 6. Are there 8 and only 6 can attend. Can you explain please -if you can

• 14 Mister Tuff // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Ibiza – I believe Ash1001 was a forum member – but no longer -I do not think he was impressed with the FF.

• 15 BandB // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:43 PM

al-k-traz last posted (under that name at least) in August 2008.
    We may have to wait and see….

• 16 Ibizatoon // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:47 PM

Hey guys, grab a number!

Al-k-traz….pick me first! Me, me, me!

Tuff…Thanks for that. Don’t recall the poster tbh. I do hope the FF starts to show a little more teeth. We get emails from the club with the lovely worded ‘everything is alright’ stuff. These meets do represent a chance for the club to start re-connecting with the fans. I do hope they seize it. Sadly, I have my doubts.

• 17 Ibizatoon // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:48 PM

BandB…Really, 2008?

Fine, 2022 has been diarised.

Al-k-traz, I look forward to chatting with you then.

• 18 davis_toons // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:49 PM

DAVIDE SANTON is good enough to be on our bench…

Another wasted player at the wrong time, wrong place wrong management.

• 19 BandB // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:52 PM

You can’t expect progress every five minutes Ibiza!

• 20 BandB // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:53 PM

Rome wasn’t ….

• 21 Ibizatoon // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:55 PM

BandB….Well, I could…

To be fair, let’s shorten that even more.

‘You can’t expect progress’. There, bar lowered, pressure off. I even feel a smile coming on.

• 22 BandB // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:56 PM

I hope they ask about the new academy too.
    It’s meant to be finished in 2016.

• 23 cyprus // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:59 PM

Next Wil,
    I’ll take 6 points in the next 3 games!

• 24 Ibizatoon // Oct 13, 2015 at 3:59 PM

BandB…I was talking to a collegue the other day, who dropped that line in to the conversation.

He couldn’t understand why my eyes glazed over.

Bloody Rome.

• 25 BandB // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:03 PM

They could ask what happened to this little lot…from Charnley on the club website, January 2014.

“There is however still a lot of work to be done to ensure we are maximising every commercial opportunity available to us. Our plans to host the stadium’s first music concert since 2007 this summer, together with our participation in a high profile pre-season tournament this August in Germany, are evidence of the type of commercial opportunities we are pursuing.
    “The extra revenue we are able to generate from commercial deals translates ultimately to the amount of money we have available to invest in the Club.
    “We will look, where possible, to use this revenue to invest not just in the squad, but into improving other areas of the business, including the stadium and its facilities, the Academy, the first team Training Centre and more.
    “Supporters will be aware that we have recently announced plans to build a new multi-million-pound state-of-the-art training complex which we hope will be completed in early 2016.

• 26 kakaobi // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:08 PM

Usual bollox this fans forum doesn’t not represent me not once have they asked me anything I buys my season ticket I have my own opinions

• 27 Graeme // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:14 PM

BandB – would that be the building of a multi-million pound state-of-the-art training complex that is yet to see any signs of life??

• 28 BandB // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:16 PM

Rome wasn’t built in a day Graeme.
    Though I believe it was started….unlike anything I’ve yet to hear about the training complex.

• 29 LGFUAD21 // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:20 PM

On cisse and nitrovic partnership.

Not for me on paper anyway.

Cisse is not a target man but he needs to be the focal point of attacks still. He would play well with a de Jong type I think who’s focus is providing.

Perez is perfect as a second striker. As is de Jong (on paper) and they both have enough to their game to get involved in build up.

Mitrovic is good at bringing players in but he is a target man.

If you had both up top (mitro and cisse) we’d either do alright playing ugly or we’d be a mess creating chances. Both are strikers through and through. We need someone who can score and create up there. Behind the main man.

• 30 Mister Tuff // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:23 PM

kakaobi – test the water. Check with the Official Site find out who your representative is and send them an email. I believe they can now all be contacted without the emails being routed through the club first (allegedly).

You do however illustrate the point that generally non of the FF reps are put forward by those they claim to represent and they are selected by the club not the fans.
    One of the groups who could claim legitimacy was NUST and look what happened to them.

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:43 PM

Can anybody think of a decent question that was asked or answered at the FF.

• 32 solano // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:45 PM

The Fans Forum is NOT as Ed calls it an “collection of organization and fans that represent the supporters of the club across a wide spectrum”.
    It is a handpicked undemocratic selection of fans made on the whim of fans liaison officer, Lee Marshall and other club officials. Some are well meaning individuals, some are windbags, some have an inflated opinion of themselves and some are brown nosers and toadies.
    It is not representative of any wide ranging body of fans (not since the NUST were banned indefinitely for daring to ask and comment upon relevant issues).
    Apart from the Disabled Supporters Club , the only other permanent member is a phantom ‘organisation’ set up by Steve Wraith who appointed one of his mate’s to cosy up and tittle tattle to the club.
    All members are schmoozed once a year by free corporate tickets for a game of choice and any question that borders on being testing and relevant is either ignored or not allowed to be followed up further enquiry. A complete sham to fob off the supporters and support a very thin and pathetic PR exercise.

• 33 Jail for Ashley // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Hear hear solano, tell it how it is !

• 34 BandB // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:51 PM

I’m pleased you never do that to me Jail 🙂

• 35 Jail for Ashley // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:52 PM

The fact that the NUST got thrown off for the pettiest of reasons without a whimper from the rest of the group shows that they value their five minutes of fun at the clubs expense over their integrity. It had nothing to do at all with the NUST publishing those minutes but the fact they would keep asking the questions we want answered.

• 36 MacToon // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Two (I believe) fan forum members did resign in protest after the Trust were unceremoniously thrown out Jail. One of the shite seat lads for one.

• 37 solano // Oct 13, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Here’s one they won’t answer, JFA:
    In view of the fact (as stated in previous FF meetings by Mr Charnley) that the redevelopment of the land behind the Gallowgate End has “nothing to do with the football club” can the club confirm that this is still the case now that Mike Ashley, via MASH Holdings, is looking to redevelop the land himself? If so, is Mr Charnley’s position as a director of MASH, not a conflict of interest with his position as Managing Director of the Football Club and would the football club financially benefit directly from the redevelopment or be restricted from future stadium expansion?

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Oct 13, 2015 at 5:00 PM

Where did this rumour of signing Valdes come from, tbh as far as our keeper situation are there many clubs with two international keepers on there books ?

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Oct 13, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Did they not answer that one with cups aren’t priority, I thought that (used) to be the standard answer to every tricky question.
    Fair play to those two lads, would have made a scene if they’d all done it.

• 40 solano // Oct 13, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Or, Will Mr Charnley financially benefit from the land deal at the club’s expense?

• 41 jimiley // Oct 13, 2015 at 5:07 PM

Why should we worry when we have Mr Ashley, Penfold, Carr, Schteeve and Colo in charge? The future is bright, the future is rosy. Mass stampede in May and no questions asked.

• 42 BandB // Oct 13, 2015 at 5:08 PM

I have an easier one about availability of BeeFee crisps in the East Stand they might be more comfortable asking.

It wouldn’t asked, and if it were “no comment” would do them as an answer.
    Sometimes useful stuff does emerge, despite them.
    Usually when someone at the club feels so utterly relaxed they start blurting out stuff about cups, and that.

• 43 solano // Oct 13, 2015 at 5:10 PM

JFA…for once, through their sheer arrogance and contempt for the fans (who I can only presume they think of as ALL being thick) they answered the Cup question with an admission of the terrible truth: they don’t give a hoot about sporting ambition or success.
    Of course, it was easy to rectify it by stating that they had changed that policy this summer (before promptly putting in one of the weakest performances ever seen at SJP in 120 years and crumbling to a 3rd division reserve side) Rotten to the core, the lot of ’em

• 44 hibbit // Oct 13, 2015 at 5:27 PM

solano absolutely 100% correct

• 45 Jail for Ashley // Oct 13, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Although the club can’t comment on the availability of beefy crisps we reiterate that when we do find them they will have been well sourced for the right flavour and sell by date !

• 46 BandB // Oct 13, 2015 at 5:49 PM

^ ^ ^ ^

• 47 lesh // Oct 13, 2015 at 6:02 PM

Is there any likelihood of FF delegates meeting in advance of the next meeting to:

Agree which questions need to be asked;

Anticipate Club responses and prepare subsidiary questions and

Agree a strategy to ensure that answers are provided by the Club – with due regard to commercial and strategic confidentiality issues of course.

Sorry if delegates have already done this but past minutes suggest that the Club’s aim is to end the FF meeting on-time and by providing vague or ambiguous answers to questions and choosing ‘not to dwell on past mistakes’.

• 48 lesh // Oct 13, 2015 at 6:06 PM

Might I suggest that fan delegates try to formalise an arrangement whereby questions to be tabled to the FF meeting are agreed by a small sub-group made up of Club and fan reps.

After all, the Forum’s intended to promote harmony and trust is it not?

• 49 lesh // Oct 13, 2015 at 6:15 PM

Mr Tuff

It’s likely that Penfold would accept questions that would be best answered by McClaren – it keeps Penfold out of the firing line.

So, it’s up to fan delegates to see through Penfold’s tactics and press for answers relating to the Club’s strategy for moving forward. If the meeting timing doesn’t allow extended discussion, then press for extending it or rearranging for a date very soon after.

Don’t let Penfold off the hook!

• 50 lesh // Oct 13, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Don’t worry too much about the new training facilities. Early 2016 was the expected completion date but that’s had to be put back ’til the architect’s let out on parole.

• 51 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 13, 2015 at 7:01 PM

Reports the transfer structure will remain looking at young potential stars with zero experience of PL football, hopefully coming to the end of their contracts.

Well, that’s that then.

• 52 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 7:03 PM

McClaren on the club website

“It’s a bitter blow for Tim and for us,”

“I spoke to him on the morning of the game, he wasn’t playing and – selfishly – I thought that was good, because then he would be fit for us. Then I got the news, the severity of the injury and how he did it, and it’s a massive blow.”

“Tim is a big part of us – he’s a big player, a leader in the dressing room, and his goal was to establish himself in the Dutch side going forward.”

“We will miss him for the rest of the season, and he loses seven or eight months of his career.”

• 53 Thump // Oct 13, 2015 at 7:06 PM

@Jail: Best question anybody can ask the club would be “Why?”

• 54 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 7:27 PM

I know I shouldn’t say this but in 15 minutes Holland v Czech Rep – please god stay fit Gini !!!!

• 55 welshgeordie9 // Oct 13, 2015 at 7:34 PM

Don’t jinx him, if anything happens to I’m blaming you.

Ha ha ha

• 56 Jail for Ashley // Oct 13, 2015 at 7:41 PM

George and Lennie are on, I’m out of here !

• 57 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 7:45 PM

bye bye Jail
    Your vast soccer knowledge will be a big miss 😐 Wa

This game is shit or bust for Holland and Wijnaldum is playing

Meanwhile in Cardiff Wales take on the mighty Andorrans

Ha ha ha

• 58 welshgeordie9 // Oct 13, 2015 at 7:46 PM

Ta ra jail.

• 59 welshgeordie9 // Oct 13, 2015 at 7:49 PM

You saying that about Wales, but let’s face it you have got an easy group, who did you beat last night, anyway don’t mention Wijnaldum.

Ha ha ha

• 60 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 7:57 PM

I wasn’t mocking Wales
    I don’t think Andorra should be in it (the population 85,000 – Abertawe 239000 ) and how Kazakhstan is in Europe , jeepers !!!.

• 61 Mister Tuff // Oct 13, 2015 at 7:58 PM

Just need Norman Bates to turn up now and we’ll have the Triple Tag Team of Tools present.

• 62 welshgeordie9 // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:00 PM

No worries.

• 63 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:01 PM

Astana where Tim knackered his ACL is 2700 kms East of Moscow and I don’t regard Moscow as European .

• 64 Our Toon // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:03 PM

Toon prodigy

When we look at it mate its the players with premiership experience that haven’t performed for us, the ones that look good are Mitrovic, Wijinaldum and Mbemba. If you look at the entire league not many had premiership experience, the ones that did haven’t exactly set the league alight. Premiership experience means nothing!!

• 65 welshgeordie9 // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:03 PM

Mister Tuff

Is your favourite TV programme one foot in the grave by any chance, victor meldrew must be your role model.

Ha ha ha

• 66 welshgeordie9 // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:04 PM

Come on bale surly you can score against this team.

• 67 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:10 PM

1 – 0 to the Czechs !
    Timmy would have saved it

• 68 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:13 PM

Petr Cech is having one of those nights

• 69 welshgeordie9 // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:13 PM

What channel is the Dutch match on.

• 70 welshgeordie9 // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Bulgaria losing as well.

• 71 SUTTY1978 // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Van Dijk with a touch of the Colocinni’s there. Racing out, beaten to the ball and left woefully out of position!

• 72 Mister Tuff // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:16 PM

Lesh – previous.
    When you read some of the FF notes there is not a lot of evidence to suggest any form of structured questioning – that is taking into account the minutes are a true reflection of the actual discussions. (someone reported on here I think it was that the minutes were not a true reflection of what was said).
    An amateur/newbie may not have the ability/gumption/skill/daring to go after “celebrities” if not satisfied with a useless answer. Sometimes folk get “stage fright”. and cannot get together good follow up questions. That is why there should be those ready to jump in to pursue a point further.
    It would seam to me that once you are good enough with these events -your time is up and a new brood imported.

• 73 SUTTY1978 // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:16 PM

SS5 Welsh

• 74 Mister Tuff // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:17 PM

seam = seem

• 75 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:19 PM

Red Button as well

• 76 welshgeordie9 // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:20 PM

Don’t rate Van Dijk just because he played well in Scotland, boumsong played well there and look what happened to him in the premier league.

• 77 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:20 PM

Blooming Heck
    2 – 0 to the Czechs

• 78 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:21 PM

Van Dijk makes Colo look like Nesta

• 79 SUTTY1978 // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:23 PM

Bloody hell, another one that Van Dijk is to blame for, again like Colo, turning his back because he’s scared of getting hit by a shot!

• 80 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:25 PM

Van Persie to the rescue – changing to 4 4 2

• 81 welshgeordie9 // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:25 PM

like i said lads, don’t rate him at all.

• 82 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:27 PM

Good ball in from van Persie
    What a shame Rooney doesn’t play for Holland
    Ha ha ha

• 83 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:29 PM

Red card Suchy
    Holland could save this yet

• 84 Toon fm Exeter // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:42 PM

Watching the Dutch glad we didn’t get van dick

• 85 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 8:45 PM

Dodged a bullet methinks

• 86 SUTTY1978 // Oct 13, 2015 at 9:01 PM

Depay is havin a shocker as well

• 87 Our Toon // Oct 13, 2015 at 9:11 PM

He got MOTM against chelsea for his performance in defence. Don’t think we or Southampton would actually give a shite about how he played for his national team

• 88 Toon fm Exeter // Oct 13, 2015 at 9:11 PM

I think even we could beat the Dutch, they have less bottle than us, how the mighty have fallen

• 89 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 9:17 PM

Since Bas Dost came on , Holland have no shape at all , they’re just a rabble.

• 90 SUTTY1978 // Oct 13, 2015 at 9:17 PM

Our old mate Bas Dost is a big unit!

Bas Dost, Mitro, Carroll

Now that would be some front line for hoofball. It’s like a fat Sam wet dream

• 91 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 9:19 PM

I think Mr Blind could be joining the dole queue tomorrow

• 92 Jib // Oct 13, 2015 at 9:21 PM

Depay looks like he’s done his back in.
    Get Wijnaldum off NOW

• 93 NezzaNUFC // Oct 13, 2015 at 9:47 PM

Why don’t people realize that even if we win 2 out of 3 games we are no where near safe!

Yes it’s a start but what then? can Newcastle keep consistency?

Our next 3 games are Norwich, Sunderland and Stoke after that we have Bournemouth, Leicester and Palace, on paper we seem better than all 6 clubs but teams like Palace, Leicester and Bournemouth have a fighting spirit and see us as a easy 3 points depending how we play against the first 3.

previous post: Uncertainty About Newcastle’s Team Against Norwich