Some Really Surprising News On Jonas Gutierrez

There´s some surprising news  today in the Sun that former Newcastle United winger Jonas Gutierrez is suing the Tyneside club over disability discrimination.

Jonas Gutierrez is suing Newcastle for £2M over the way the Argentine was treated both during and following his battle with testicular cancer.

jonas gutierrez scores - west ham

Jonas Gutierrez scoring with 5 minutes to go in his Newcastle career

The really good news was that Jonas was successful in his fight with testicular cancer and currently he is cancer free and playing for Deportivo in Spain.

Jonas was informed in a cell phone call from then interim head coach John Carver that he (and Ryan Taylor) were not having their contracts renewed and that was after the final game of the season.

We put that down to a complete lack of professionalism and man management from John Carver, can you ever imagine somebody like Steve McClaren doing that?

But John Carver showed in the five months he was interim head coach at Newcastle that he didn´t  have a clue about managing players – it was embarrassing.

the sun

Here´s the Sun Sports page today

Carver should have arranged a face to face meeting with both of the players individually to tell them the news – that´s management 101 and with anything as personal as that – it has to be done face to face.

But Lee Charnley, who has not impressed us, has to also take responsibility for that piece  of crass management  – he´s the one running the club on a day-to-day basis for owner Mike Ashley.

This is what Jonas said at the time in a BBC Radio 5 interview about the news he was not getting a new contract:

“I think man to man, face to face is the nice thing to do,” “It made me think they don’t care about anything.”

“I had been there seven years, I always did my best. The only 18 months I didn’t play was because I was going through my illness.”

“Maybe they could have told me before the end of the season so I could say thank you to the fans on the pitch after the last game.”

Jonas had that final fantastic game when he was easily our Man of the Match against West Ham and voted the best player in Europe on that final weekend of the season.

He made the first and scored Newcastle´s second goal and at the time Jonas still thought he was able to get a contract extension at Newcastle.

In July this is what he had said in Argentina:

“Things weren’t done in the best way, they weren’t very honest.” “They didn’t do things like I would have hoped, but that’s now done and I’m looking forward.”

“It’s bothersome because I don’t think it was the right way to let me go, but that’s it.”

“I’m looking forward and I feel comfortable training, I feel good physically, one can’t look back, only forward, and give importance to the present.”

It was a bad situation and made a lot worse by the incompetent way Lee Charnley and John Carver handled the situation and it made news around the world – bad news for Newcastle United.

Newcastle United have made no comment on this – so far.

If this news is accurate Newcastle should settle this out of court and quickly too – the club will look bad if it goes to court.

The club did not handle Jonas’ sickness well from the very start when Alan Pardew – as Jonas was having chemotherapy treatment – told him he had to look for a new club.

• Toon Tang

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Good luck Jonas, you have my full support. Take the fake billionaire to the cleaners and back.. And then lend me a tenner for petrol and quiche please 🙂

• Jib

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:57 AM

• lesh

Oct 14, 2015 at 9:58 AM

When you consider what Jonas’s goal against West Ham was worth to the Club, he was let go with nowt and ad far as we know, treated shabbily when he wasn’t even given the courtesy of his inevitable departure being confirmed face-to-face.

I’d have thought that given the circumstances, he’d have been let go and thanked to such an extent there’s have been no need for him to take legal action – if the report is true.

• Jib

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:01 AM

You can just see the scene in courtroom.
    The defense shows a video of last seasons last home game
    “Mr Gutierrez that does look like you scoring that goal”
    “Si eet eez your honourrrr”
    ” So you played for no wages ?”
    “Erm Erm aye caramba mi cagendios sheeet “

• davis_toons

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Leon Best…do not forget this lad. So much contribution comparing to what we have in his position now..

forget abt ..SDJ..and such..we got to sign some decent lad like Leon.

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Jib

If, as you claim, you have already proved this story to be nonsense, then there’s absolutely no need to be rubbishing Jonas in comedy Spanish is there?

• davis_toons

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Still all the Best to Guti..our owner sucks

• Toon Tang

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Binning him and Raylor off via phone just shows us the mentality flowing through the club from Ashley down, no backbone in the staff and no backbone on the pitch. Couldn’t even get him in to talk it through face to face, the disgusting bastards.

I’d have chinned the shite out of Carvs if he came at me with that chestnut

• lesh

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:08 AM

BandB

So bath time, or bloodletting as you call it’s a bit of a battle in your house is it?

You really must do as your mam wants and learn that getting bathed’s important and necessary. It’s a bit like changing your underwear regularly and once a month’s surely can’t be that intolerable – whether necessary or not!

🙂

• Jib

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Hibbit
    sorry -you are Lesh today

It amuses me no end about fans getting all misty eyed about young millionaires being so shabbily treated – he was on full salary while being treated in BA (the return to Argentina was at the suggestion of NUFC by the way )

• Munster Mag

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Go Guti! Toon Tang, whats all this about quiche ??

• Jib

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:12 AM

B and B
    I rubbished Jonas in comedy Spanish more than 3 years ago , he was finished as a Premier league player even then as many on here were vocalising.

• Toon Tang

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Munster, petrol and quiche, its all you need in life..

• martoon

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:15 AM

I don’t know if Jonas has a case or not but if he does win the money will not come out of Ashley’s pocket but out of NUFC – money that could be used towards tranfers!
    The overrated Frenchman from last topic – I really don’t see what your problem is: Fact – we’ve got a lot of injuries, Fact – we will be trying to get as many fit for Sunday as possible therefore the medical team will be busy – where are the lies?

• Jib

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Toon Tang

Raylor and Jonas were in Ireland at the time on a coaching course that’s why it was done by fone.

Phoar you must really be a tough kiddy to taak aboot chinning gadgies an that !!!

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Jib

Bang on cue, up you pop, Googling furiously in an effort to show this story is rubbish….which it could be.
    So there’s really no need to run a twin strategy of also ridiculing Jonas and his case.

Lesh…..you must wonder what you’ve done to upset Jib.
    I’m wondering too…….:)

• Toon Tang

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:19 AM

So you would have done it over the phone eh Jib? You’re part of the no backbone/spine brigade with the rest of the regime then ya plum. Sit down and take your orders.

• Toon Tang

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:23 AM

You part of the problem lad, happy to watch shite footy happily clapping along with your nose in Cashley’s corn hole.

• Jib

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:23 AM

What
    Carver should have jumped on plane to Ireland ?
    Shurrup and stick to chinning gadgies

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:24 AM

I was taken to task (in a predictably puerile manner) by Jib on a previous thread just before. Does that mean I’ve “made it” on the blog now?

• lesh

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:24 AM

BandB

It doesn’t take a lot to ‘upset’ Jib.

He/ she’s constantly demanding attention and’ll post any tripe to provoke a reaction from others

Sad really.

• Toon Tang

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:27 AM

How about waiting for them to come back ya tit. Now you just sit there like a good little servant and wait for spine to grow..

• Jib

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:29 AM

B and B
    Why for one second do you imagine I am upset ?

I sit on my lappy most of the time with a big cheesy grin on me mush.

The “fans” on here provide me with endless amusement.

As I have stated before I post post mainly for the attention of the silent majority who read but never post ( just look at the hit counter )
    so if you see me as an agent provocateur , I see me as providing balance to what has
    become a pretty anti NUFC blog.

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Lesh

If you check back over the blog for the past two evenings you will see “reactions” to Jib have prevented he and Welshie generating hours of tumbleweed.
    Aren’t Jib and Welshie’s little chats SOOO like the ones Welshie used to have with the “banned” Jeff from Benwell?
    Welshie is so lucky that an identical soul-mate turned up on the very same day.

• Toon Tang

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Jib is Ashleys ultimate duty boy. He’ll be after a brew soon marra, stick kettle on..

• Transfer Sage

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Jib

The decision surely wasn’t made so quickly they couldn’t have arranged to speak in person.

When you are letting somebody go from your company, after 7 years of loyal service (he performed to his best, NUFC chose to keep him there) then it’s just common courtesy to tell them in person.

• AncientC

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Perhaps Carver didn’t feel like doing Charnley’s dirty work for him, with the axe swinging over his own head at the same time.

Gutierrez and Ryan Taylor no doubt left the club financially better off than Carver, they have also moved to on to new clubs… meanwhile Carver’s future hangs in the balance.

• Toon Tang

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:36 AM

TS, they could definitely have done it face to face mate, Jib just doesn’t like anyone talking badly of his man crush.

• Transfer Sage

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Ancient

Not nice for any of them, Carver included. Still though, as a manager you have a responsibility to your employees.

Whether it was for Carver to inform them or Charnley, I don’t know…but one of them should have done it face to face.

• Toon Tang

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Jib knows he should have told him face to face, hes just being confrontational due to being over tired. Being Ashley’s blow up doll has its drawbacks eh lad hahahhaa

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Where was Jonas at the time the decision was made? Darras Hall? Lee and John could’ve jumped in a taxi. Or Buenos Aires? Not so easy. Jonas was no doubt expecting that outcome anyway.

• Toon Tang

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Anyways thats the last one from me Jibby baby, some of us have better things to be doing. Could sit here ripping you to pieces all day if I had the time.

We will pick it back up tonight hahaha

• TroubledToon

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:41 AM

I’m glad Jonas took this step. I’ve always been a big fan of his. Sure he wasn’t the most talented on the pitch, but each and every time he pulled on the black and white stripes, he gave it 110%. Always committed, backtracked when required and always tried to make something happen.
    Was pretty upset that we released him and kept shit like Obertan, Goofy n even offered extensions to shittier Colo n Sammy Ameobi.
    But what was most upsetting is way he was told…. Over the phone??? Absurd!!!
    Have the decency to tell the man to his face!!! The embarrassments running the club need a gud kick up their backsides!!!

• catchy in norway

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Anceint

Did charver ever have a future? Unless P45 finds a role for him down south , then all he will ever get is a few quid from the ronichle when Ryder needs a quote

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:44 AM

martoon@14. I used the term “deceit” rather than “lies”, but I accept that is semantics. My point is this. I don’t trust anybody in the regime – for want if a better word- to tell the truth and to be upfront with the supporters. Of course, they want to protect their backsides and put as positive a spin on everything as much as they can. That’s expected. But to blithely accept it, is in my view, to bow down and give in, and if some people on here object to my “bile” and my “problem” then I’ll just have to live with that. But a message to all the apologists. Take a look at the table and then tell me how wrong I am without squirming just a wee bit.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Simpson says, “We’ve got to not even worry about systems.” Then goes on to say, “We went 4-4-1-1 with two midfielders who can try and get on the ball and push us forward.”

You “systems” boys. What do you think he means when he talks of having not got to worry about systems – our own by the sounds of it? No jibber jabber answers in Spanish please.

• AncientC

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:50 AM

catchy in norway:

It is possible Carver would have had a future in coaching, had he not taken the Newcastle manager role. It was a huge gamble to take, but with Carver being a fan it was a no-brainer and his big chance.

McClaren isn’t proving much better (over the same amount of games) with an improved squad, his own coaching team and a preseason to imprint his ideas on the players.

• Sav

Oct 14, 2015 at 10:59 AM

If the manager/coach has nowt to do with buying players, then it should be Charnley’s job to sack them too.
    We are a classless club under Ashley. Letting Jonas go at the end of the season is all just an unpleasant part of the business these days. However, what they did
    earlier in packing him off to Norwich when the disease was ongoing was far worse. Echoes of the way the club treated Dave Elliott’s epilepsy all those years ago. Maybe we didn’t have much class then, either?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM

There is a huge, huge difference between being anti Mike Ashley/ Lee Churnley and being anti NUFC maybe that silent majority who read but don’t post could break a habit and explain to me how I’m wrong !

• BandB

Oct 14, 2015 at 11:02 AM

I am not sure how anyone can claim to know what silent people are thinking.