The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Some Really Surprising News On Jonas Gutierrez

9:50 am, Wednesday, October 14th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 145 Comments

There´s some surprising news  today in the Sun that former Newcastle United winger Jonas Gutierrez is suing the Tyneside club over disability discrimination.

Jonas Gutierrez is suing Newcastle for £2M over the way the Argentine was treated both during and following his battle with testicular cancer.

jonas gutierrez scores - west ham

Jonas Gutierrez scoring with 5 minutes to go in his Newcastle career

The really good news was that Jonas was successful in his fight with testicular cancer and currently he is cancer free and playing for Deportivo in Spain.

Jonas was informed in a cell phone call from then interim head coach John Carver that he (and Ryan Taylor) were not having their contracts renewed and that was after the final game of the season.

We put that down to a complete lack of professionalism and man management from John Carver, can you ever imagine somebody like Steve McClaren doing that?

But John Carver showed in the five months he was interim head coach at Newcastle that he didn´t  have a clue about managing players – it was embarrassing.

the sun

Here´s the Sun Sports page today

Carver should have arranged a face to face meeting with both of the players individually to tell them the news – that´s management 101 and with anything as personal as that – it has to be done face to face.

But Lee Charnley, who has not impressed us, has to also take responsibility for that piece  of crass management  – he´s the one running the club on a day-to-day basis for owner Mike Ashley.

This is what Jonas said at the time in a BBC Radio 5 interview about the news he was not getting a new contract:

“I think man to man, face to face is the nice thing to do,” “It made me think they don’t care about anything.”

“I had been there seven years, I always did my best. The only 18 months I didn’t play was because I was going through my illness.”

“Maybe they could have told me before the end of the season so I could say thank you to the fans on the pitch after the last game.”

Jonas had that final fantastic game when he was easily our Man of the Match against West Ham and voted the best player in Europe on that final weekend of the season.

He made the first and scored Newcastle´s second goal and at the time Jonas still thought he was able to get a contract extension at Newcastle.

In July this is what he had said in Argentina:

“Things weren’t done in the best way, they weren’t very honest.” “They didn’t do things like I would have hoped, but that’s now done and I’m looking forward.”

“It’s bothersome because I don’t think it was the right way to let me go, but that’s it.”

“I’m looking forward and I feel comfortable training, I feel good physically, one can’t look back, only forward, and give importance to the present.”

It was a bad situation and made a lot worse by the incompetent way Lee Charnley and John Carver handled the situation and it made news around the world – bad news for Newcastle United.

Newcastle United have made no comment on this – so far.

If this news is accurate Newcastle should settle this out of court and quickly too – the club will look bad if it goes to court.

The club did not handle Jonas’ sickness well from the very start when Alan Pardew – as Jonas was having chemotherapy treatment – told him he had to look for a new club.

Tags: Coaching · Illness · Jonas Gutierrez · Management · Medical · Newcastle News · Premier League

145 responses so far ↓

• 1 Toon Tang // Oct 14, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Good luck Jonas, you have my full support. Take the fake billionaire to the cleaners and back.. And then lend me a tenner for petrol and quiche please 🙂

• 2 Jib // Oct 14, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Be careful Ed

The story comes from

A very dodgy site (like the Mag)

• 3 lesh // Oct 14, 2015 at 9:58 AM

When you consider what Jonas’s goal against West Ham was worth to the Club, he was let go with nowt and ad far as we know, treated shabbily when he wasn’t even given the courtesy of his inevitable departure being confirmed face-to-face.

I’d have thought that given the circumstances, he’d have been let go and thanked to such an extent there’s have been no need for him to take legal action – if the report is true.

• 4 Jib // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:01 AM

You can just see the scene in courtroom.
    The defense shows a video of last seasons last home game
    “Mr Gutierrez that does look like you scoring that goal”
    “Si eet eez your honourrrr”
    ” So you played for no wages ?”
    “Erm Erm aye caramba mi cagendios sheeet “

• 5 davis_toons // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:04 AM

Leon Best…do not forget this lad. So much contribution comparing to what we have in his position now..

forget abt ..SDJ..and such..we got to sign some decent lad like Leon.

• 6 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:06 AM

If, as you claim, you have already proved this story to be nonsense, then there’s absolutely no need to be rubbishing Jonas in comedy Spanish is there?

• 7 davis_toons // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:06 AM

Still all the Best to Guti..our owner sucks

• 8 Toon Tang // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Binning him and Raylor off via phone just shows us the mentality flowing through the club from Ashley down, no backbone in the staff and no backbone on the pitch. Couldn’t even get him in to talk it through face to face, the disgusting bastards.

I’d have chinned the shite out of Carvs if he came at me with that chestnut

• 9 lesh // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:08 AM

So bath time, or bloodletting as you call it’s a bit of a battle in your house is it?

You really must do as your mam wants and learn that getting bathed’s important and necessary. It’s a bit like changing your underwear regularly and once a month’s surely can’t be that intolerable – whether necessary or not!

• 10 Jib // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:09 AM

sorry -you are Lesh today

It amuses me no end about fans getting all misty eyed about young millionaires being so shabbily treated – he was on full salary while being treated in BA (the return to Argentina was at the suggestion of NUFC by the way )

• 11 Munster Mag // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Go Guti! Toon Tang, whats all this about quiche ??

• 12 Jib // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:12 AM

B and B
    I rubbished Jonas in comedy Spanish more than 3 years ago , he was finished as a Premier league player even then as many on here were vocalising.

• 13 Toon Tang // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Munster, petrol and quiche, its all you need in life..

• 14 martoon // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:15 AM

I don’t know if Jonas has a case or not but if he does win the money will not come out of Ashley’s pocket but out of NUFC – money that could be used towards tranfers!
    The overrated Frenchman from last topic – I really don’t see what your problem is: Fact – we’ve got a lot of injuries, Fact – we will be trying to get as many fit for Sunday as possible therefore the medical team will be busy – where are the lies?

• 15 Jib // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Toon Tang

Raylor and Jonas were in Ireland at the time on a coaching course that’s why it was done by fone.

Phoar you must really be a tough kiddy to taak aboot chinning gadgies an that !!!

• 16 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Bang on cue, up you pop, Googling furiously in an effort to show this story is rubbish….which it could be.
    So there’s really no need to run a twin strategy of also ridiculing Jonas and his case.

Lesh… must wonder what you’ve done to upset Jib.
    I’m wondering too…….:)

• 17 Toon Tang // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:19 AM

So you would have done it over the phone eh Jib? You’re part of the no backbone/spine brigade with the rest of the regime then ya plum. Sit down and take your orders.

• 18 Toon Tang // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:23 AM

You part of the problem lad, happy to watch shite footy happily clapping along with your nose in Cashley’s corn hole.

• 19 Jib // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Carver should have jumped on plane to Ireland ?
    Shurrup and stick to chinning gadgies

• 20 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:24 AM

I was taken to task (in a predictably puerile manner) by Jib on a previous thread just before. Does that mean I’ve “made it” on the blog now?

• 21 lesh // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:24 AM

It doesn’t take a lot to ‘upset’ Jib.

He/ she’s constantly demanding attention and’ll post any tripe to provoke a reaction from others

Sad really.

• 22 Toon Tang // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:27 AM

How about waiting for them to come back ya tit. Now you just sit there like a good little servant and wait for spine to grow..

• 23 Jib // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:29 AM

B and B
    Why for one second do you imagine I am upset ?

I sit on my lappy most of the time with a big cheesy grin on me mush.

The “fans” on here provide me with endless amusement.

As I have stated before I post post mainly for the attention of the silent majority who read but never post ( just look at the hit counter )
    so if you see me as an agent provocateur , I see me as providing balance to what has
    become a pretty anti NUFC blog.

• 24 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:30 AM

If you check back over the blog for the past two evenings you will see “reactions” to Jib have prevented he and Welshie generating hours of tumbleweed.
    Aren’t Jib and Welshie’s little chats SOOO like the ones Welshie used to have with the “banned” Jeff from Benwell?
    Welshie is so lucky that an identical soul-mate turned up on the very same day.

• 25 Toon Tang // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Jib is Ashleys ultimate duty boy. He’ll be after a brew soon marra, stick kettle on..

• 26 Transfer Sage // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:33 AM

The decision surely wasn’t made so quickly they couldn’t have arranged to speak in person.

When you are letting somebody go from your company, after 7 years of loyal service (he performed to his best, NUFC chose to keep him there) then it’s just common courtesy to tell them in person.

• 27 AncientC // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:35 AM

Perhaps Carver didn’t feel like doing Charnley’s dirty work for him, with the axe swinging over his own head at the same time.

Gutierrez and Ryan Taylor no doubt left the club financially better off than Carver, they have also moved to on to new clubs… meanwhile Carver’s future hangs in the balance.

• 28 Toon Tang // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:36 AM

TS, they could definitely have done it face to face mate, Jib just doesn’t like anyone talking badly of his man crush.

• 29 Transfer Sage // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Not nice for any of them, Carver included. Still though, as a manager you have a responsibility to your employees.

Whether it was for Carver to inform them or Charnley, I don’t know…but one of them should have done it face to face.

• 30 Toon Tang // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Jib knows he should have told him face to face, hes just being confrontational due to being over tired. Being Ashley’s blow up doll has its drawbacks eh lad hahahhaa

• 31 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Where was Jonas at the time the decision was made? Darras Hall? Lee and John could’ve jumped in a taxi. Or Buenos Aires? Not so easy. Jonas was no doubt expecting that outcome anyway.

• 32 Toon Tang // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:41 AM

Anyways thats the last one from me Jibby baby, some of us have better things to be doing. Could sit here ripping you to pieces all day if I had the time.

We will pick it back up tonight hahaha

• 33 TroubledToon // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:41 AM

I’m glad Jonas took this step. I’ve always been a big fan of his. Sure he wasn’t the most talented on the pitch, but each and every time he pulled on the black and white stripes, he gave it 110%. Always committed, backtracked when required and always tried to make something happen.
    Was pretty upset that we released him and kept shit like Obertan, Goofy n even offered extensions to shittier Colo n Sammy Ameobi.
    But what was most upsetting is way he was told…. Over the phone??? Absurd!!!
    Have the decency to tell the man to his face!!! The embarrassments running the club need a gud kick up their backsides!!!

• 34 catchy in norway // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Did charver ever have a future? Unless P45 finds a role for him down south , then all he will ever get is a few quid from the ronichle when Ryder needs a quote

• 35 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:44 AM

martoon@14. I used the term “deceit” rather than “lies”, but I accept that is semantics. My point is this. I don’t trust anybody in the regime – for want if a better word- to tell the truth and to be upfront with the supporters. Of course, they want to protect their backsides and put as positive a spin on everything as much as they can. That’s expected. But to blithely accept it, is in my view, to bow down and give in, and if some people on here object to my “bile” and my “problem” then I’ll just have to live with that. But a message to all the apologists. Take a look at the table and then tell me how wrong I am without squirming just a wee bit.

• 36 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Simpson says, “We’ve got to not even worry about systems.” Then goes on to say, “We went 4-4-1-1 with two midfielders who can try and get on the ball and push us forward.”

You “systems” boys. What do you think he means when he talks of having not got to worry about systems – our own by the sounds of it? No jibber jabber answers in Spanish please.

• 37 AncientC // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:50 AM

catchy in norway:

It is possible Carver would have had a future in coaching, had he not taken the Newcastle manager role. It was a huge gamble to take, but with Carver being a fan it was a no-brainer and his big chance.

McClaren isn’t proving much better (over the same amount of games) with an improved squad, his own coaching team and a preseason to imprint his ideas on the players.

• 38 Sav // Oct 14, 2015 at 10:59 AM

If the manager/coach has nowt to do with buying players, then it should be Charnley’s job to sack them too.
    We are a classless club under Ashley. Letting Jonas go at the end of the season is all just an unpleasant part of the business these days. However, what they did
    earlier in packing him off to Norwich when the disease was ongoing was far worse. Echoes of the way the club treated Dave Elliott’s epilepsy all those years ago. Maybe we didn’t have much class then, either?

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:00 AM

There is a huge, huge difference between being anti Mike Ashley/ Lee Churnley and being anti NUFC maybe that silent majority who read but don’t post could break a habit and explain to me how I’m wrong !

• 40 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:02 AM

I am not sure how anyone can claim to know what silent people are thinking.

• 41 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Lip-reading, Band B.

Jail @39 – very well said

• 42 martoon // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:10 AM

The overrated Frenchman @35 – I accept there is a lot wrong with the club and you do right to take them to task about it. I just feel in this particular case your venom was spat at the wrong person who was merely stating the facts that we have a lot of injuries – the medical staff are busy!

• 43 Jib // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:15 AM

I am not sure how anyone can claim to know what silent people are thinking.

Which fool claimed that ?

What an idiot if he said it

Oops hang on

• 44 sickandtired // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Hardly like Jonas was this regimes first victim, was it?
    *KK tribunal (lost and branded as liars)
    * Broke up the players committee and sold all who were vocal in it
    * Broke up the singing section
    * Renaming Shearers
    * Hand picked ‘fans forum’ with a now reduced meeting schedule
    * Owner who has publicly spoken once, for 3 mins, in the 9 seasons he has been here
    * Current MD communicates only via occasional email
    * Sale of Gallowgate land, now for an Ashley commercial development – not NUFC’s.
    They treat everyone with contempt and there’s nowt new in any of that. Anyone attempting to defend this lot are as bad as they are.

• 45 Jib // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Jonas thanked the club at the time for the Norwich loan.
    Jonas was told the best way to get his head together after the chemo was to play , Pardew couldn’t guarantee him game time at SJP so he sent him to Norwich where there was more chance of him getting a game.

• 46 Slank // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:25 AM

I remember reading that Jonas was still paid during and following his battle with cancer. Is his complaint that he wasn’t paid ? Also, doesn’t the club insure all the players on their books ?

With regard to the text. That is crass management by I presume Carver but not an unknown way of delivering news nowadays, sadly.

• 47 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Could somebody speaking out against that despotic regime in N Korea be deemed unpatriotic, I guess that in the eyes of somebody very pro regime they would be !

• 48 catchy in norway // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:28 AM

I happen to think Shteve is doing a miles better job than Chaver or P45.

The new players have settled in well , we try and play football from the back, we get bodies in the box, but he has been unfortunate with some results, even the city result, first half we more than held out against them and could easily have been 3-0 up going in at the break,

The problem in my opinion is the mentality that both p45 and Chaver left behind , they took some good players and turned them into zombies.

3-0 to us vs Norwich on Sunday

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Yup terrible management by honest John Carver, I can just imagine him dreaming up that one and rushing to the phone in the faint hope of keeping his job !
    Not sure if I was being sarcastic there ?

• 50 sickandtired // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Utter bollarx and someone seems to be wanting to re-write the events.
    Jonas actually said (and is directly quoted) :-
    “The manager told me in December I was not going to play any more and told me to find myself another club.

“I don’t know why it happened and I still don’t understand what I did wrong.

“There were no rows with Alan Pardew or anything like that. He just said I needed to leave and that was that.

“I honestly don’t know why I wasn’t playing, you will have to ask the manager that. He just made his decision and that was it.

“Something must have happened – but I don’t know what.”

• 51 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:33 AM

You have to say that !

• 52 Slank // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Is that a reason why Jonas wants £2M ?

• 53 Tsunki // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Nobody should feel sorry for a young millionaire if he complains about his wages, or how he’d rather play in a warmer country. But Jonas isn’t doing that. He’s talking about simple respect. The club valued him enough to make him a millionaire, if he wasn’t already, so what’s wrong in making the time to have a man to man chat with him when you’re letting him go? At best it’s appalling planning.

And Jeff, you are indeed a valued member of NUFC fandom. Because you react to a player, who has been a loyal and hardworking servant, misused by a clueless tactician, running off form as a legitimate target for your lamentable ‘comedic’ ridicule. All based on a story which you claim is nonsense. I seem to recall your undying love for our club legend Mr Moncur. Strangely you don’t see his ‘ more tea?’ role of late as being a dip in firm. How prized you are among the supporting throng. You aren’t funny in any sense.

• 54 sickandtired // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:47 AM

Slank – no idea if he was or wasn’t ‘paid’ but I would suspect money has little to do with this at all. They treated him like a Leper, that is a fact, and whatever the club does for players, Jonas has stated several times he paid for all his treatment himself..
    He’s considering the action under disability discrimination law and to me it seems to be a way for him to reach closure over how the regime treated him.

• 55 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:48 AM

• 56 Tsunki // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:50 AM

No Jail not the Fail! 🙂

No smoke there either eh?

• 57 Mister Tuff // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Jib Jibberish (the blog pest and part-time multiple) does it again – using Google is fine but without any other knowledge of the club it always exposes the wums, trolls, Pallion Plonkers and “Johnny come lately types”.
    Jibberish -you posted earlier that KK was offered monies in an “out of court” settlement. No he wasn’t there were no such offers made. Man you know nowt about the club (and football in general).
    You seriously need to change your game – why not go back to rugby (you brag you used to play) – but make a slight change – I hear Ladies rugby is becoming popular. Alternatively the Ladies Wrestling Forum or a netball forum.
    What a knacker.
    Be off with you you Sunderland scroat, you Pallion Plonker.

• 58 catchy in norway // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Why jail?

• 59 catchy in norway // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Read the posters in this blog , first half vs city, a lot of happy people. Shame it was spoiled by 20 mins of poor goal keeping and some dodgy defending

• 60 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Growing legs for a made up story ?

• 61 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Spoiled six times catchy.

• 62 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:03 PM

martoon@42 OK, the medical staff are busy. Why not just say that instead of using language that implies that they are working their fingers to the bone and performing miracles and we should be in awe of their efforts.They continue to insult our intelligence, and to be getting it from a blockhead like Simpson just doesn’t sit well with me.

• 63 Ron Knee // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Pedantry corner
    From The Mirror: “Gutierrez was a fan’s favourite at the club”.
    Surely he had more than one?

• 64 Jib // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Keegan vehemently denied the out of court settlement at the time.
    However in the words of Christine Keeler (or was it Mandy Rice – Davies) he would wouldn’t he .

• 65 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Surely the medical team “working magic” is likely to be the one that has the fewest injuries to treat, prevention being a key part of any medic’s role.

• 66 catchy in norway // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:10 PM

Yes it was 6 times, I think Krul should have done a lot better with most of them 🙁

• 67 Tsunki // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:13 PM

Yep shame about that little blip. But for the second half we’d have ‘ad ’em

• 68 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:15 PM

“But apart from that, Mrs Kennedy, did you enjoy the drive?

• 69 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:17 PM

BandB@65- Take your venom and bile to a mackem blog where it belongs.

• 70 Ron Knee // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Do you know: “But apart from that, Mrs Lincoln, did you enjoy the play?’

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Why catchy ?
    Because if you said he was shyte it would look like you were continually moaning about management and not the bigger issue. At the end of the day Mclaren is a failed, sacked championship manager chosen not for his ability but because he had the best CV of someone who buys into our policy, a policy in which he had no interest in until he had no choice !

• 72 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:21 PM

I do Ron (Ron)
    I do
    Ron (Ron)

ToF….you were right about the squirming.

• 73 Ron Knee // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:25 PM

“But apart from that, Ms Clarkson, did you enjoy your evening with Mr Spector?”

• 74 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:26 PM

I was reading about that for the first time only yesterday…

• 75 ilovetoon8788 // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:27 PM

2million ???? ! that’s our january transfer budget gone then.

• 76 Ron Knee // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Cue for a song by the Carpenters (or maybe not).

• 77 Tsunki // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:32 PM

So, Sophie, Duchess of Hohenberg, apart from that did you enjoy the dri…oh…er….

• 78 lesh // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Years ago, a poster that went by Stardust, used to behave in a troublesome and narcisstic way.

He/ she claimed to live (live?) in Benwell or Cruddas Park and was banned by Ed a few times. But, persistsntly, he/ she would reappear under other names.

A troublesome poster who reminds me of somebody that currently posts. Who could that be?

• 79 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:34 PM

So Nancy did you think he was acting,
    No, he’s not that good !

• 80 catchy in norway // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Sorry but as much as I like reading your posts , I think your wrong, if I thought for one second that Shteve was failing , I would be the first to have a go at him. You have to trust me on that, you say failed championship manager , I think it was more down to NUFC for him failing at Derby than his ability , his ability had them flying until we stuck our necks in ,

As for the start to this season , I think it’s going as many thought it would do, but more down to our opening fixtures than anything else. I’m sick of reading about not buying prem experience is costing us, when in fact 3 of our better players so far have been new signings , which enforces the fact the problem was left at the club from previous management.

As for Ashley, will I ever trust him , NO WAY. But he did buy good players for good money in the summer. He kept to his word.

If I was the club, this summer I would go all out to get Debore from Ajax. He said he is ready,

• 81 mindshaft // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Not sure Jonas will have much luck in the courts, as has been mentioned he was on full salary and the club have no legal obligation to do anything but fulfill the terms of the contract.

• 82 Big Foot // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:40 PM

I would class myself as one of the silent majority who follow and read the blog but rarely post due to not having the spare time to continue decent discussions/dialogue. So to pose a brief question to you and a brief yes/no response would do; are you the same person who previously posted under the name of Jeff from Benwell? Just purely out of interest.

• 83 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:41 PM

It may not be about the money.
    Jonas can get it off his chest in court, with legal privilege.

• 84 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 12:43 PM

jeff from benwell claimed to be from there and named local pubs as his watering hole until someone posted a link to the nightowls when a jeff from benwell with severe learning difficulties was shown, jeff then claimed to live in Liverpool, Afghanistan and Benidorm and partied with celebrities while being an early seventies football hooligan, as well as being a prop forward for Tynedale Rugby club, his new character Jib is very much the same but has added modern languages lecturer to his resume.

• 85 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Have I got this right? Percy and John are getting the blame for this season? Leaving us with a poor mentality? Well, well, well. I’ve heard it all.

• 86 Tsunki // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Nice one BF but I wouldn’t hold your breath for the answer. He’s jeff alright though.

Lesh that’s not the Stardust on the ‘ other’ blog is it?

• 87 Tsunki // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Jail I think jeff is also on the speaking circuit, lecturing on modern politics or the like.

• 88 NezzaNUFC // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Sorry but Jonas won’t get 2 million because Newcastle didn’t have any intention of giving him a new contract, so Newcastle didn’t let him go because of his so called disability for having cancer, sorry but I’ve had testicular cancer a few years ago with a all clear and I also have lung cancer which is banine or however it’s spelt lol and it’s not a disability.

Jonas and agent being greedy I reckon.

• 89 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:03 PM

I know Stardust in real life. Very funny guy with interesting takes on all things NUFC. Hasn’t got much time for blogging these days. Pity.

• 90 Tsunki // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Blackley I think as far as Ed is concerned the ghost of JC continues to haunt the sjp corridors to this day.

• 91 Tsunki // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:04 PM

Lesh that’s probably a no, then.

• 92 Big Foot // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:04 PM

I presume this is where the guy disappears and reappears later when the discussion has moved on? It was a simple question that could be given a simple answer. Silence speaks volumes i guess.

• 93 Mister Tuff // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:05 PM

Jib Jibberish ( the blog pest and part-time multiple).
    Some key phrases from the Tribunal s reported by the Mail. The phrases of the tribunal clearly point the finger as to who was lying – and it wasn’t KK.
    More damaging than the £2m pay-out is the panel’s indictment of the Newcastle hierarchy. The hearing declared that the club had admitted to ‘repeatedly and intentionally misleading the press, public and the fans of Newcastle United’, while the evidence given by owner Mike Ashley and his fellow executives over the course of the two-week hearing was described at one point in the verdict as ‘profoundly unsatisfactory’.”

Desist in your feeble efforts at trying to re-invent history – trickery and deceipt are not acceptable.

• 94 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:06 PM

I always thought it worked out well for the club the news of Jonas’s until then secret battle with cancer emerged right on the eve of the biggest SackPardew protest.
    As it was, it was it created a situation in which it appeared very unseemly and petty to applaud Jonas and boo the manager.
    I think Jonas may have some stories he wants to tell.

• 95 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Greedy, the guy must be a multi millionaire do you really think it’s about the money ?

• 96 NezzaNUFC // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:11 PM

Sueing Newcastle for 2 million!

Yes it’s called being greedy, what in any rights have Jonas got to claim 2 million?

Like I said in my post Newcastle had no intention of giving him a new contract same with Ryan Taylor.

• 97 Mister Tuff // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Nezza @ 88 I’m afraid you are wrong – cancer is a disability under the Disability Discrimination Act and Equality Act. The law was changed a few years ago and affords workers certain protected rights under the re-vamped legislation.

• 98 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Were the people who were hacked by the NoFTW being greedy ?

• 99 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Ed likes to contrast the rot of JC with the reign of King Percy. He puts the boot up JC at every opportunity, even when the article has nothing to do with it. It’s hilarious. But he is now seeing how Makro is struggling with the addition of £50m of reinforcements, and there are signs he might be having a reappraisal of the man who ultimately kept us up. Although he will never forgive what he sees as his embarrassing antics.

• 100 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Ironically, I think someone from the club may be very keen to arrange a face-to-face meeting as soon as possible. Maybe it needs Colo to fly out…see how he’s getting on, and stuff.

• 101 NezzaNUFC // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:16 PM

I never knew it had changed mate and thanks for the update.

I’ve never considered it a disability unless it was severe but still I don’t see Jonas having a case for this.

• 102 NezzaNUFC // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:18 PM

And what does this have to do with the Jonas case?

• 103 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:20 PM

I imagine you went into work to tell your boss that you’d been diagnosed with cancer, and he subsequently suggests you find yourself a new job.

Would you not think that just a trifle unsympathetic?

• 104 Ron Knee // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:24 PM

I imagine the trouble-shooting mission would start on 24 October, or maybe a little sooner?

• 105 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:25 PM

This is solano, accurately predicting the reaction of sections of this blog not long after the news broke.

solano // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:05 AM

BnB: Whatever the details of Jonas’ claim, I think we have had more than a few hints/rumours of how the club were perceived to have behaved upon finding out about his condition,so it’s no great surprise.
    What will be interesting to see is how the real Super Toon Geordie mega fans turn against Jonas/Judas for challenging Sports Direct’s methods of treating sickness at work.
    I note the £2m claim is the same amount that KK claimed for his unfair dismissal case and many chose to stick to the club’s offiicial line and slag the greatest figure in our recent history…even after they lost in a court of law! I can see Jonas being blamed for threatening our January budget by the sycophants and the pinky wonga people!

• 106 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Your post suggested that h was being greedy as he was suing the club, it sounded like you were saying it was greed because he was after money, the people who were hacked by the News of The World were also suing, also wanting monetary compensation but wanting more than just money, they wanted apologies and justice, until you know the case history you can’t just accuse Jonas of being greedy.

• 107 NezzaNUFC // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:26 PM

I don’t have a boss, I am the boss.

The time Jonas was mistreated was the time that Newcastle let him go to Norwich on loan.

There maybe other times he’s been mistreated by Newcastle but to come out puplic and state Newcastle didn’t give him a contract because he had a disability is by all mean’s making yourself look silly.

He may get compensated for being mistreated while at Newcastle but 2 million? Get over man.

• 108 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Did the club honour Jonas’ contract? Did they pay him while he was ill and did they make a footballing decision to loan him to Norwich? What are you supposing is Jonas’ case? It should be interesting to see, if we ever do. I can’t recall the sequence of events.

• 109 martoon // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Tuff @97 – From what I heard on the radio this morning that’s exactly the act that his legal team are basing their case on.

• 110 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:28 PM

Well, he’ll likely come to court and have his say and no amount of whining by you is likely to affect that.

• 111 NezzaNUFC // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Then why didn’t Jonas just come out and say I want an apology from Newcastle with the way they treated me at his time here instead of listening to his agent.

• 112 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:31 PM

I haven’t a clue, and therefore I’m not going to go into overdrive trying to rubbish whatever it may be.
    As I say, I imagine he wants his day in court, regardless of the outcome.

• 113 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:32 PM

So far as I’ve noticed on this blog, there’s no evidence that Solano’s prediction has been proved right. Most have supported Jonas whilst others have responded to that support by giving an altetnative view. Unless I’ve missed something, which is not beyond the realms of possibility.

• 114 martoon // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Like others have stated about Jonas it’s probably not about the money it’s about the way he thinks he was treated. If he did win I wouldn’t be surprised if he gave it all to a cancer charity.

• 115 NezzaNUFC // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:33 PM

It’s not whining it’s being realistic.

2 million? Did Newcastle cause his disability? No!

• 116 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Sadly Nezza, I doubt whether the issue will be decided by a show of hands on the NUFC.Blog.

• 117 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Have you got a poster on the wall that says there are two rules at this place ?

• 118 beefman13 // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Why didnt Jonas have the best health insurance on the market that covered everything, i mean the fella was on Tyneside for 7 years he must have averaged 30 G`s a week.

That surely must be a priority if your Country has no National Health service.

• 119 optimistic prime // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:56 PM

It doesn’t really matter who thinks Jonas is right or wrong, most would agree the whole situation was dealt with unprofessionally.

To me this entire episode showed the Slug and his puppets in a true light.

This isn’t the only time over the last 8years the club has shown a utter lack of class.

There’s more class in the bollock Jonas had removed than Ashley or any of his puppets can claim to have!
    Check out Shirebrook etc.

A bit like people turning up for home matches in tuxedos because there’s no club suit or jacket, I’m sure the the slug could discount a couple dozen jackets from his sweat shops.

Nae class!

Sunday league clubs are run more proffesional and have way more discipline!

Ashley out!

I vote for Jonas’s exiled bollock to replace Lee Charnley in running the club!

• 120 Mister Tuff // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:02 PM

I’ve extracted this little bit from the web about Disability Discrimination which shows probably what Jonas is pursuing.

“What the Equality Act means for people with cancer

The Equality Act considers a diagnosis of cancer as a disability. You don’t have to have symptoms or to consider yourself to be disabled by your cancer to be covered. But the Act gives you important rights. These rights might affect

Your work
    Your education
    How you use services
    Your housing needs

Your work

These rights mean that you can negotiate for reasonable changes in your work or workplace. The term reasonable means that any changes or adaptations must be practical for your employer, in terms of cost and effects on other workers.

For example, if you need time off work for treatment and recovery your employer might allow you a period of leave and your job will still be there when you want to go back. Or it might be reasonable to have more flexible working hours so you can carry on working. And the Act also gives you legal protection if you feel your employer has treated you unfairly.

You don’t have to tell your employer you have cancer. But if you don’t tell them, they can’t make any changes to your job or workplace. You can ask your employer to keep the information confidential so only people you agree to have this information are told.”

Reading the penultimate paragraph I think is what Jonas will be using. Clearly when you report you have the big C your employer should not respond along the lines “you’d better FO and find another club then.”

Really can you imagine if Jonas had been publicly supported by the club – with a bit of PR attached – few photo sessions -link it with other campaigns re the big C – highlight the magnificent display in the West Ham game – NUFC would have gained so many friends with admiration and understanding.
    But what do they do -go in the opposite direction -probably to save a few bob and now it is probably going to cost them a couple of million. Will they ever learn?

• 121 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Had Percy already told Jonas his contract would not be renewed? Was Jonas in Darras Hall or Argentina when the club contacted him at thevend of the season to thank him for his services?

• 122 RUNAWAY777 // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:06 PM

no they did not cause his disability,but when they found out about it they wanted him gone,that last game he single handed got the point we needed to stay up, couple bloggers on hear should bow there heads in shame jones you get that money away you can nufc is nothing but parasites from top to bottom

• 123 Ibizatoon // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Blackley…Neither. They were in the distant land of Northern Ireland.

• 124 Slank // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:08 PM

If he is bringing a court case under the Disability Discrimination and Equality Act all I can think is that the club dismissed him or wouldn’t select him because he had developed a disability.

The fact that he then (I think) played for Norwich and eventually us must complicate the issue. Also the fact that he returned to his employer and presumably was declared fit enough to play competitive football must further complicate things unless his issue with club is something else that warrants compensation worth £2M.

• 125 Ibizatoon // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:09 PM

beefman…The subject isn’t that he couldn’t get the medical care he needed. At the time he said he paid for the treatment, as he needed it and there are more important things than money.

He also then said this.

“Two things I learn from my illness how you can support a player (newcastle fans) and how you leave a player alone (newcastle owner).”

My guess is this has nothing to do with money.

• 126 Mister Tuff // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:09 PM

Blackley – he still had about a year of his contract to run, I think, so if he’s under contract he’s still an employee and therefore has protection re discrimination -adding of course that the club ALSO has it’s responsibilities for employees.

• 127 RUNAWAY777 // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Former Newcastle star Jonas Gutierrez launches £2m disability discrimination claim against club after he paid for his own medical treatment during cancer battle and was dropped after emotional comeback
    Newcastle released Jonas Gutierrez at the end of last season do football clubs not cover there players with insurance

• 128 Jib // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:14 PM

The timeline was thus:-
    May 2013 Kicked in the groin while making a tackle at Arsenal
    Summer 2013 Concerns over the injury not clearing up , a tumour discovered
    October 2013 a return to Buenos Aires (recommended by the club doctor) where Jonas agrees to have testicle removed which is done straightaway and he seems to make a full recovery.
    Jan 2014 Jonas old manager Chris Hughton agrees to take him at Norwich for 6 months
    as he is not getting game time at NUFC (however he sustains a calf injuryand only plays 4 times )
    April 2014 Norwich sack Hughton
    May 2014 After feeling poorly Jonas is mortified to find out that far from being clear the cancer is now in his lymph nodes .
    He returns to BA to undergo a course of chemo
    which looks up to now to have been successful
    He then returned to NUFC not long before Pardew walked.
    Where his lawyer’s claim for dicrimination comes from is not quite clear.

Here is a very garbled interview he gave after training at Coruna today.
    He makes a clear point of saying Charnley was always concerned for his health and treated him fine but he says the ones who weren’t sympathetic know who they are.
    All a bit petty and melodramatic if you ask me.

• 129 Mister Tuff // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Lads and Lasses – this Equality and Discrimination stuff should be “bread and butter” to employers -and probably employees. I’ve been on courses on this very subject.
    For the club to fall foul of this I’m afraid illustrates their hapless and incompetent practices.
    Really this IS bread and butter stuff.

• 130 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Melodramatic Jib?
    I thought it wasn’t true?

• 131 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:23 PM

So jeff it’s gone from being made up nonsense to petty and melodramatic?

• 132 Ibizatoon // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Jib…thanks for the link. As you know, my Spanish isn’t great, so I will look to you here.

“A partir de mi periodo de quimioterapia -la temporada pasada- vuelvo al club y se da también una cosa, que tenía una la cláusula de renovación de contrato por una cantidad de partidos. En las últimas nueve jornadas, juego siete de titular y me faltaron dos partidos para llegar a esa cláusula”

Does it have anything to do with this?

• 133 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:34 PM

You seem to be pre-supposing that the club has fallen foul of the legislation. Fans who hate the regime and know their poor record seem to be taking it as read that the club is at fault in this particular case. Football is no exception to the legislation. However, it is a peculiar business. The employer should support its employee through his illness as far as is teasonably possible and I agree your sentiments in your ginal paragraph @120 above. However, is it kinder to tell someone, if it is the case, that for footballing reasons their vontract will not be renewed? If you don’t want a player for footballing reasons, what are you meant to do? The best thing is to support their rehabilitation and help them get a new club. If people are honest, they’d admit Jonas took some heavy criticism on this blog for years. Many who wanted him out of the club are no doubt criticising the club for moving him on. I support Jonas in any legitimate action against the club and say good luck to him. Nobody knows his cause of action or indeed whether this story has any legs.

• 134 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:36 PM

I always thought it was very sweet of Jonas to allow the story of his cancer fight be used in the way it was.
    Perhaps he thought he was showing just the sort of loyalty to the club that might be well-looked upon in contract negotiations?

• 135 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:39 PM

And no I don’t galk like ghat. My finger is too big gor my samsung geyboard.

• 136 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Quite right Blackley.

No-one knows what the detail of Jonas’s case will be, or how they will align with the provisions of Equality and Disability legislation.

So obviously, no-one will be pre-judging the issue.

• 137 Ibizatoon // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:42 PM

Jib…Are you sure you speak Spanish? Now, I am not a confident speaker or reader of the language, I don’t hide from that, but if you really do, I can’t help but feel you’re misleading us with your translation.

How can you read that and then say “Where his lawyer’s claim for dicrimination comes from is not quite clear”.

Does this following part not basically say that he always was a first team regular, during the first 5 years, then he got an injury. After returning from that injury it turned out he had a tumour, and then after that treatment he was told he’d have to find a new club?

“Lo que sentí en el último tiempo en el club (Newcastle) fue una discriminación a partir de mi enfermedad. Básicamente, me baso en lo que pasó después de la operación y el tratamiento. En los primeros cinco años en el equipo prácticamente no tuve ausencias”, relató. “A partir del sexto, que inicio como titular, tengo una lesión muscular y, cuando vuelvo, me detectan un tumor en el testículo. Cuando vuelvo de la operación me dicen que me busque club. No son cosas normales para un jugador que no se había perdido partidos en los cinco primeros años”, criticó.

• 138 Ibizatoon // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM

BandB…Perhaps Jonas thought the clubs situation (pending relegation) was more important that his own personal aggreivances at that particular moment.

Whatever peoples thoughts on Jonas’ ability, the guy gave his all for NUFC. It may not have been enough (ability wise), but he gave all he had. I can’t say the same for those who are charged with running the club.

Then again, that isn’t a legal issue, and not what he’s suing the club for. Nice for people to remember though before labelling him greedy, petty or melodramatic.

• 139 BandB // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:46 PM

However, as you say Blackley,

“If people are honest, they’d admit Jonas took some heavy criticism on this blog for years. Many who wanted him out of the club are no doubt criticising the club for moving him on.”

Surely someone should be apprising the club’s lawyers with this piece of highly relevant evidence?

• 140 terencelim // Oct 14, 2015 at 2:47 PM

The 18th richest club in the world is rooted to the bottom of the Premier League.

I always hope someday Ashley take over ManUtd.

• 141 Jail for Ashley // Oct 14, 2015 at 3:05 PM

I think the club will try to settle out of court. I think Jonas will turn them down. I think this will become interesting.

• 142 Ibizatoon // Oct 14, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Hey, why rely on my dodgy Spanish…

Interviewer: You go back to England, to Newcastle, and what did they tell you there?

JG: I was training by the end of November, the team was in a good moment [of form] and in the middle of December the coach told me that the best option was that I looked for a [new] club.

Interviewer: Did that surprise you?

JG: Yes, obviously because I had always been playing, for five years, always playing, and to then go to the situation where they wanted to loan me out…

• 143 thejokethatisnufc // Oct 14, 2015 at 3:24 PM

Good i dont blame him

• 144 Mister Tuff // Oct 14, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Blackley – I hope I was not pre -judging the Jonas case – just summising what he might be getting at. Indeed we’ll all have to wait for further details to be known.
    However, I may have been influenced by my KK tribunal post earlier in respect of the club telling porkies, false PR etc etc.
    Unfortunately, and this is not intended to sound bad but when something like this happens the employer is “unfortunately” left holding the baby to some extent until the employees problems are sorted out.
    Typically you would assume that if any course of action was decided upon by the hierarchy – it would be normal practice to run the proposals via HR (or equivalent) to make sure the course of action was legal and no potential for pot holes to appear later. Either this was not done or their advice was overuled (all this is summising they have a case to answer – so really we can only muse about what may or may not have occurred.

Either way it seems another blast of negative publicity associated with the club.

• 145 davis_toons // Oct 15, 2015 at 7:57 AM

The Best man for Captain Role After Colo is Georginio Wijnaldum.

Give the Arm Band to him. He will motivated the rest and fight. Time will tell.

previous post: There´s Some Surprising Good News On The Injury Front