The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Almost Nothing Has Changed From Last Season – So Far

10:29 am, Thursday, October 15th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

After Lee Charnley´s disastrous choice of John Carver in January as the head coach to stand in for the departed Alan Pardew, that almost led to us being relegated on May 24th.

Lee then appointed Steve McClaren in early June, but that came after John Carver and Steve Stone were fired for their incompetent running of the team for five nightmare months when we lost eight league games in a row just before the end of the season.

lee charnley close-up

Lee Charnley – under pressure

The Managing Director followed that up in June by appointing  Steve McClaren who had just been fired by Derby County two weeks before Charnley appointed him as the new head coach at Newcastle.

Although not a popular chance at all with the fans, Steve does have a good reputation as being an excellent coach although that isn´t always  reflected in the results he has had at the various clubs he´s managed.

He failed at Wolfsburg, FC Twente the second time around, Nottingham Forest and lately at Derby County after almost getting them promoted in his first season in charge.

Not much seems to have changed this season at Newcastle – we are still losing games and have won one league game of the last 19 played.

Newcastle are still losing too many players to injury and the players still sometimes forget to turn up for games.

Three points from the first eight league game is a lot worse than anybody thought we would start this season – and it´s the worst start since back in 1898.

We have seen some decent performance this season from Newcastle, and Steve and the coaching staff must now turn things around at the club now we are facing sides who we should be able to beat.

But if this bad run goes on for too much longer – say we lose the next three games – we would expect McClaren to be replaced.

If Lee is doing his job he should be identifying coaches he can bring in so he is ready for this distaste scenario – in case it happens.

He was plainly not ready when Alan Pardew left – and part of good management is being prepared for things that may happen.

If Newcastle have to bring in a fourth new coach within he last twelve months it hardly looks good for Lee Charnley either.

We are hoping Steve McClaren and his coaches along with our players can turn this thing around.

A win on Sunday at home to Norwich City would be great.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Norwich?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Prediction · Premier League

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 jimmysmith // Oct 15, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Plenty has changed, apart from the results. We have a whole new coaching set up, 4 new first team players and we’ve played better football in patches, than we’ve seen for some time. The side needs to find some consistency and to pick up some points with some urgency now, but theres little doubt this is a more talented group than last’s.

• 2 Jib // Oct 15, 2015 at 10:39 AM

Some could say it was a brilliant piece of brinkmanship that demonstrates Lee Charnley’s football knowledge.

“If you can keep you head while all around are losing theirs”

If so , it would certainly give him kudos in the eyes of the boss , who is reputed to admire that sort of stuff .

• 3 TroubledToon // Oct 15, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Ed, stop repeating the same thing every alternate post!!!
    Pardew left us, Charnley hired Carver, Hiring Carver was a disaster, we almost got relegated, Macca came in, blah blah blah blah blah…
    (Yawn)

• 4 AncientC // Oct 15, 2015 at 10:45 AM

jimmysmith:

4 new players in, but…4 senior players left in the same window.

• 5 Big Archie // Oct 15, 2015 at 10:56 AM

I think its a bit of a stretch trying to blame McClaren for all of the 19 games we lost – seeing as he wasn’t here for 11 of them!

• 6 Jib // Oct 15, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Ancient C

Jonas – Thauvin
    Abeid – Wijnaldum
    Raylor – M’Bemba

Just 3 – all the others are on loan.

• 7 AncientC // Oct 15, 2015 at 11:10 AM

Jib:

Cabella was a senior player. Loan or not, the summer witnessed 4 new recruits with 4 senior players leaving.

I doubt we will see Cabella in a Newcastle shirt again, but that is a different topic.

• 8 firebug666 // Oct 15, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Jib

“If you can keep you head while all around are losing theirs”

Sounds a bit like Captain Smith when he boastfully announced that “this ship will never sink”; The Titanic April 15 1912.

Maybe Charnley has his lifeboat ready for this April, as we sink into oblivion, it may be woman and children first like, but I’m sure Charley will have a decent frock stashed away.

• 9 Jib // Oct 15, 2015 at 11:14 AM

This Jonas business if it gains momentum could end up being one of those landmark cases.

In years to come we may talk about the Gutierrez ruling like the Bosman now.

My feelings are :-

One the one side – Pardew and Carver behaved like unfeeling dicks .

On the other – at the time he left NUFC Jonas had banked nearly $18million dollars (yup he was paid in dollars)

If he feels so hard done by why not just give an interview and point fingers and get it off his chest and everyone move on.
    As often happens in cases like this , nobody will come out with any credit the 2 legal teams will slaughter each others characters.
    The only ones to gain ,as usual , will be the lawyers.

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Oct 15, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Yes jeff, best Jonas just moves on, wouldn’t do to have Mikeys shoddy treatment of employees and fans brought into the public domain !

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Oct 15, 2015 at 11:50 AM

Jimmy,
    If one of your children had a pig sty of a bedroom and had done for eight months then one day you made them tidy it up, they did so by cramming all the clothes on the floor both dirty and clean into any draws and cupboards they’d fit into and all the sweet wrappers, cups and glasses under the bed out of sight, you could say well it’s the tidiest it’s been in months.

• 12 BandB // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:02 PM

• 13 Harley // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Jail for Ashley

From your earlier post that I presume was aimed at me.
    Everything you said about Coloccini in your statement is hearsay, not one statement can be proved.
    Whilst I accept I can’t prove he’s a great guy, I go off my instinct and in my opinion he seems like a nice person and seems to genuinely care for the club.
    You keep listening to hearsay though, I’ve heard it’s the way forward.

• 14 jimmysmith // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:16 PM

But I wouldn’t, and I haven’t. We all know you’ve marked his card, and why. Fair enough, but I’d prefer it if you didn’t tell me what I ought to think. I’ll take care of that myself. Thanks all the same.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Hearsay Harley,
    Being able to count how many interviews he has given or derbies he has played in is not hearsay nor is jumping around the San Lorenzo stands while off sick with a back injury.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Jimmy,
    Where did I tell you what to think ?

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:23 PM

Hearsay

• 18 martoon // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Tuff – I presume your earlier post about siding with Jib was aimed at me. I’ve had many ‘run ins’ with Jib/Jeff in the past but I don’t hold grudges. I just felt in this particular case he was being accused of a sick comment about Jonas when that clearly wasn’t the case at all. However I freely admit he has been guilty of such comments in the past. I think your obsession with him is blinding you to everything else in particular this is a football blog!

• 19 Tsunki // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Martoon siding with jeff is hardly counted as rallying to aid a stricken blogger, he’s a time-served blog nasty with a documented trail of ill-mannered observation and spends most of his time bickering, biting at perceived errors in posts, and most of all complaining, usually about…complaining. Unless he’s having to take a week off Googling duties because because he’s emotionally weakened by the inference he’s said something underhand when on this particular occasion he hasn’t, I wouldn’t bother stepping in, he’s a pretty resilient sort.

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:33 PM

martoon,
    Do you think we have tidied our room in the manner above or do you think that everything has been put away in the correct draws and rubbish disposed of correctly.

• 21 Jib // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Martoon
    I actually didn’t make those comments , there was a doppelganger who hacked a few users.

At first Ed told me it wasn’t possible but then he sent the following e-mail.

Re: Moderation
    Favorites
    Maximize/Minimize
    6/23/15 at 5:29 PM More Information

Yes – I see they posted as Jib – see if they can do it again . think I may
    have solved it.

Ed Harrison.

===============

From:
    Ed Harrison

• 22 Tsunki // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Jail, Further down the page is a link to a previous story

I especially liked the last paragraph.

More immediately, Pardew, still without the hamstrung Steven Taylor in defence and still striving to replace Ba in attack, must decide whether Coloccini is in the right frame of mind to play at Carrow Road.

Déja vu, all over again eh? : D

• 23 jimmysmith // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:49 PM

No one is saying they’ve finished. They are saying they’ve started. And no one on here categorically believes that they’ll succeed or will even sincerely try. Not a single soul.

• 24 Mister Tuff // Oct 15, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Martoon – indeed not – my post was not aimed at you at all, I was busy preparing my post, and after posting saw your post.
    I certainly do not have any obsession with any posters on here, that is not to say I will not counter their bile and inaccuracies. Some folk may not be bothered about erroneous information being posted – that is up to them – cannot see why correcting rubbish would draw fire from anyone -however it is usually the case if one looks back/recalls that it is normally to try to continue previous spats. I think I would find it telling that people falsely protest about something purely to re- kindle their previous spats – doing so under the guise of something else is trickery and artiface.
    As well the list of disgraceful comments previously submitted we can add things like people attending the Irish Centre selling their ar**s down the Quayside and also comments about womens menstruation.
    The falsely offended should be objecting to have this type of stuff on the blog – but they do not.
    In society there are people prepared to do the heavy lifting and there are those who standby and watch.

• 25 sparky55 // Oct 15, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Almost nothing has changed for 4 years more like…poor ownership, poor management, poor coaching, poor medical back-up, poor fitness levels, poor facilities causing regular injuries, a flawed transfer policy and no communication between Carr and the manager resulting in half decent players being played out their comfort zone and natural position instead of players coming into to fill a genuine void.

1 out of 10 for the last 4 years…could have been so much better being the understatement of the decade.

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Oct 15, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Sparky,
    A home win against Norwich which should be standard fare is now going to be seen as a huge win, brilliant example of lowering expectations

• 27 lesh // Oct 15, 2015 at 2:14 PM

Jib

I appreciate that some posters treat your seemingly informed comments with scepticism and today you’ve stated, as though fact, details of Jonas’s earnings.

In order to confirm the integrity of your seemingly fact-based comments, are you able to provide details of the source of the insights you post.

Doing so would greatly enhance your credibility in the eyes of the sceptics.

previous post: This Is Newcastle´s Goalkeeper Plan For This Season