The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

What’s Going On – McClaren Gives Up On Newcastle Already

10:55 pm, Friday, October 16th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 19 Comments

We have had outr worst start to the season since 1898 and if we don’t improve some in the next three games it could be the worst start to a season in our history.

But even with that background we are still surprised that Steve McClaren seems to have given up on the targets that were set for him this season – a top eight Premier league finish and to win one of the cups – that would now have to be the FA Cup since we lost to Sheffield Wednesday at home in the League Cup..

Steve McClaren Press Conference B+W Background

Steve McClaren – given up on targets

This is what Steve McClaren has said to the press:

“At the present moment, being in the top eight is miles away.” “The most important thing – and this is probably true for 10 or 11 of the clubs in the league – is to get to 40 points.”

“That’s where we’re at.” “When I was at Middlesbrough we used to have a massive party whenever we got to 40 points. Whether that was in November, March, April, whenever – Harry (coach Steve Harrison) would say, “Right, we’re having a party now.”

“It’s all about getting to that 40-point mark, then you can think about other things. Especially this year (with the new TV deal), that has to be the absolute priority. That’s the focus.”

“If someone said to me now, “You’ll have 40 points by mid-April”, I’d take it. That’s just the perspective of where we are.”

“I think people would think I’d gone absolutely daft and crazy if I was sitting here now saying we’d turn that down.”

“I think I’m judged every week, and I’ll be judged again on Sunday night,’ he said. ‘You’re judged every day and in every game. I’m not saying judge me after 10, 11, 12 games.”

“But I guess I would say, if you’re going to throw things at me, judge me at the end of the season.”

It was always judge me after 10 games and then yesterday in Steve’s press conference he said judge me after 10 to 12 games.

Now it’s judge me at the end of the season – but that’s silly becasue what happens if we are releagted at the end of the season?

And with all due respect to Middlesbrough fans everywhere, there’s a big difference between expectations of Newcastle fans and those of Middlesbrough fans.

It’s great they are doing so well in the Championship and hopefully they will be back in the Premier League next season – hope we are still there at that time.

There’s a lot I don’t like about the comments coming from McClaren above – what will his players think?

It’s far too early to give up on 8th place in the league and as an example of that – last year at around this time we had 4 points from the first seven games.

But then five games later we were 5th top after winning five league games in a row and we had 19 points from 12 games.

If we do the same thing in the next five games we will have 18 points from 13 games which isn’t too bad and last season after 13 games and 18 points we would have been in 9th place.

That’s pretty close to 8th place -which is the target for this season.

So we think Steve essentially saying that he has given up on his targets at this stage of the season and would take 40 points by mid-April now is a (big) mistake.

It’s an error of judegement becasue we have only gone through 21% of the season so far – it shows a lack of confidence.

We cannot believe that Lee Charnley or Mike Ashley will be too happy that Steve has gone public with this.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

19 responses so far ↓

• 1 toonking // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:58 PM

The people who believed in Pardew might be occasionally putting posts up about Pardew but the likely hood of this is because week after week the anti Pardew brigade were ranting on and on saying things like “he’s the worse manager in the world” “any replacement will be better” “We’ll get a decent manager when he’s gone” or “we’ll be safe next season and palace will be fighting for survival”. We all got extreme abuse from those people so why shouldn’t we be able to give them it back?

Had the position of ourselves and palace been the other way round I can guarantee you now those most anti Pardew would have been ranting on week in week out making it clear they were right all along.

We could stop talking all we like but there is a media world out there which are still going to be giving occasional reminders about Pardew and us themselves and we’ll see that on the day we face palace.

people keep raving on week in week out about how much damage the fat b@stard himself is doing well don’t just sit there launch a boycott do huge protests.

• 2 toonking // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:01 PM

first he talks about how much damage just one player can be to us and now he comes out and describes us as a team who are relegation battlers well atleast Pardew was aiming for top of the table during the interviews

• 3 Mag52 // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Ed, the guy’s aware of his limitations and I’m sure knows that a run of five premiership wins on the trot, as happened last season following a bad start, just ain’t going to happen.
    Forty points looks an awful long way away at the moment.

• 4 Mag52 // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:08 PM

Anything said pro Pardew is treated like spitting in church by those who are quite happy to slag him off at any opportunity.
    Ignore the clowns.

• 5 lochinvar // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:10 PM

We’re starting to hear the confused ramblings of a lost man and looking at the photo it reminds me of Carver or Pardew on a bad day.
    The face says it all – wtf is going on ?
    You just start to wonder if the job is beyond your average Brit Manager and Ashley should have thought on a different level and appointed someone with charisma and stature – Juergen Klinsman perhaps or someone ( and there aren’t many ) of his ilk.
    Tomorrow is a significant day – ground hog day even ?

• 6 toonking // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:14 PM

mag 52

As the saying goes what goes around comes around.

I do try my hardest not to bring up Pardew in my posts but it’s very hard not to when you’ve been so heavily ganged up on during those days. We’re in an awful state still , we’ve still got crap manager, we’ve still got same old policy and we’re still fighting relegation so that is what happens.

I’m still waiting for catchy’s reply on weather or not he’s taking on that £100 bet with me.

• 7 toonking // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:22 PM

Those who are most anti Pardew don’t worry yourselves too much because he’s still getting links to the England job and that is a one he will fail just as we’ve seen with decent ones like cappello sven and SBR

• 8 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Everybody who wanted rid of King Percy wanted rid of him because they wanted a much better manager. They were ambitious for their club. They were not content to take second best. And if the next manager is not good enough, the same will apply. They did not think “Well the owner will only replace the King with some other mug so we’ll support the King.”

Anyone pointing to the King’s record since he returned to his Palace as proof of their wisdom are somewhat premature. If the King had done very badly, I have absolutely no doubt that he would be saying he has inherited someone else’s team and it’s too early to judge him.

I see Makro has seamlessly gone from judge me after ten games to judge me at the end of the season. Of course it will wash with some fans who are quite happy to judge him on litlle spells of football that they think show promise, and attribute the bad stuff to the mentality that still lingers from John Carver’s tenure. You couldn’t make it up.

• 9 jimmysmith // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:26 PM

The big sticking point I have with Ashley is not the transfer policy, but is still that he doesn’t charge SD for advertising. Had he, it would have given us that much more to invest in the squad, and so do better in the league and earn more to invest again.

He owns the club, so both he and the club would benefit as his asset develops. He doesn’t need to pay down the debt so he’s been giving SD free advertising to the direct detriment of the clubs on field performance.

I suppose convincing SD to pay might be a difficult sell, but that’s the only reason I can think for not doing it, and that extra revenue, if put back on to the pitch would have made all the difference to us.

I sense a duplicity in that, and in their spiel of necessary fiscal restraint to us over the years. I don’t think it was necessary, I think it suited Ashley and SD, as opposed to Ashley and us, and I struggle to see the fairness of it.

• 10 toonking // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:33 PM

It’s those that wanted rid that are most immature

1.KK-walks out
    2 dennis wise
    4 shearer
    5 lambsarse
    7 Pardew

statistics show that as an owner of Newcastle united mike cashley will not in a million years appoint a decent manager, it’s like saying that despite this awful start to the season mike Ashley himself was still very truthful with his words and Newcastle united are now an ambitious club

• 11 toonking // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:36 PM

The full point is that your either a fan who has still got the belief in mike Ashley, can see him appoint decent manager and get a good squad for him or you know that whilst he is the owner decent managers will never come and he’s a disgraceful owner to this club

• 12 toonking // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:39 PM

so no matter how well or poor he does at palace Pardew is no better or worse than most arrivals would be to those who hate Ashley

• 13 Our Toon // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:42 PM

Toon King

Go support palace mate!! He left us in the same position he got us in. We fought a relegation battle etc. Still plenty of time left in the season to see the famous pards losing run for 2nd half of a season.

Only manager in the history of the game to have 3 separate fan protests against him. That says it all really

• 14 jimmysmith // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:44 PM

Well, to get a decent manager, you have to match his ambition, so no, I don’t think De Boer, Klopp, Tuchel type managers would come here now. The future, who knows, but you wouldn’t bank on it by a long shot.

• 15 jimmysmith // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:45 PM

That should read top young manager. We can attract decent ones.

• 16 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:46 PM

“statistics show that as an owner of Newcastle united mike cashley will not in a million years appoint a decent manager,…”

Statistics also show that true fans of Newcastle United will not stand for shit managers in charge of shit teams no what Mike Ashley thinks and no matter who he appoints in a million years. And the longer Mike Ashley fails to bolt the horse to the cart, the more the true fans will blame him and his cronies and the sooner Mike Ashley will sell up.

• 17 TroubledToon // Oct 17, 2015 at 2:47 AM

Just sack him already!!! Macca shud never have been hired… He’s John Carver 2.0!!!

• 18 juan // Oct 17, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Let’s have a party at 40 points.
    Very ambitious manager..
    The rate he’s going we’ll reach 40 points in 3 seasons. Why the f**k we hired him I’ll never know …if and when he gets sacked I hope he takes graham carr with him. Then we can party.

• 19 why oh why // Oct 17, 2015 at 11:19 AM

We should gone for remi garde!
    Get rid and get de boar or garde
    We have quality players and it baffles me why a manager of maccas supposed quality can not get them winning ?

previous post: Pundit Slams Coloccini – Gives Surprise Norwich Prediction