The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren – Little Setbacks Are Causing Us To Disintegrate

11:44 pm, Friday, October 16th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 58 Comments

Newcastle have only won three league games in all of 2015 in 27 league games and in the last 19 league games we have one win – so 2015 hasn’t exactly been a great year for Newcastle United or their long-suffering fans.

But you always have to hope for the best and be positive in an effort to turn things around and that’s always possible.

Steve mcClaren owls 1-0

There are too many photos of Steve doing this

Last season we had a terrible start with 4 points from first seven games but Alan Pardew then had Newcastle on a six game winning streak with five league wins in a row.

But in interviews Steve gave on Friday he comes across as being a little bit as being even negative if realistic.

This is some of what Steve said on Friday:

“At the present moment, we’re getting little setbacks that are causing us to disintegrate.”

“They’re shattering the confidence and belief. Everyone can see that. We need to address that, but I really believe there’s a win around the corner.”

“We don’t quite know where, but once it happens and we get the monkey off our backs and the shackles are released, this team will really move forward. That’s what we believe.”

Steve McClaren and his players must keep their confidence up – there’s a way out of this difficult situation – with only eight games having been played this season.

The big advantage we have over last season is that we know we will be in a fight – so our players know exactly what’s required of them.

If they keep fighting they will get the support needed from the Newcastle fans.

Tags: Coaching · Interview · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press

58 responses so far ↓

• 1 jimmysmith // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:49 PM

Perhaps best if you stop talking for this next little while Steve. May I suggest.

• 2 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:59 PM

“Little setbacks that are causing us to disintegrate”? Hahaha. You couldn’t make it up.

Shearer criticises Thauvin’s suit and he’s in floods of tears; absolutely inconsolable. Jamie Redknapp blames Colo and now curly locks won’t come out the house; he’s on the floor in pieces.

Breaking News: NUFC have taken the unprecedented step of applying to the FA to postpone Sunday’s match against Norwich City. All the players have had little setbacks this week and the team has disintegrated.

• 3 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 17, 2015 at 12:00 AM

Hohoho. If John Carver had said that …

• 4 SUTTY1978 // Oct 17, 2015 at 12:04 AM

Steve, the exit is the third door on the left. Don’t bother coming back….

• 5 SUTTY1978 // Oct 17, 2015 at 12:05 AM

Does sound like McClaren is the one who is disintegrating.

• 6 SUTTY1978 // Oct 17, 2015 at 12:10 AM

What he’s basically saying here is that if Norwich score first we lose. If we get two up then Norwich get one back, we will collapse like a house of cards and Norwich will win. Not sounding too positive is it? I’m sure this was all part of his magical “process”.
    Most people wanted to see the back of Pards, most people wanted a decent manager to replace him though. Unfortunately we got handed another lower league chancer who is being well and truly found out.
    I just hope he has the decency to quit or Charnley has the balls to sack him, cant see either happening though.

• 7 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 17, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Ashley sacking Charnley is a better option.

• 8 Mister Tuff // Oct 17, 2015 at 12:35 AM

Thought I was on the wrong website tonight -with a couple of the pro Percy Brigade ( aka the Legion of Dishonour) wittering on again about
    King Percy – of the I am the King and I’ll eat your meal fame.
    Forget about him – he deserted the Toon to get back to Cockneyland and Chas n’ Dave shows.

• 9 lesh // Oct 17, 2015 at 1:21 AM

McClaren’s words are those of a very worried man.

Something’s telling me that he’s been trying to persuade his colleagues and through them, Ashley, of the need to buy experience this coming winter but he’s being countered by Charnley, Moncur and Carr.

He’s feeling the pressure and I wouldn’t be surprised if he walks at or before the close of the next transfer window.

• 10 banjax // Oct 17, 2015 at 2:22 AM

McLaren isn’t the most articulate of men when it comes to the spoken word. But his use of the word disintegrate is more like a Freudian slip indicating he has lost confidence in his own ability to put things right, which means the Norwich game should be his swan song if we lose or draw.

• 11 Sav // Oct 17, 2015 at 2:49 AM

If he talks to the squad the way he gives press conferences, no wonder they don’t have a f*****g clue. Wonder if Charmless still has that sand-bucket he plundged his little fat baldy heed into while Cardew took us to within an inch of relegation? He’s going to need it….

• 12 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 17, 2015 at 3:16 AM

Until they fix the squad and the poor transfer policies what is the point of crying about it? The club is broken and set for failure before a ball has even been kicked each season, the front man will always take the heat while the people who really make the decisions cowardly and rarely ever speak. How could McClaren fix the huge problems at this club in a few months?

There will always be excuses made from anyone who is unfortunate enough to manage the shambles and affairs at the club. Reason being, he can’t come out and slate the poor players or the ridiculous policies in place. He has signed to it but that dosn’t mean it’s his fault why we are so poor.

It creases me up when I see people tearing apart interviews by the coach, saying he should walk or be sacked. Really? The way this club is run? Crackers. There is a hell of alot more wrong than that which needs solving.

• 13 ilovetoon8788 // Oct 17, 2015 at 3:25 AM

I’m absolutely baffled by mclaren recent interview. has he gone bonkers? even pardew would struggle to match just how bad the interview was , and i can’t see it helping the team at all.

• 14 ilovetoon8788 // Oct 17, 2015 at 3:27 AM

mclaren was someone who was so positive in pre-season talking about top 8 etc and judging him in 10 games, trophy, cup run, writing some letters from USA.

now it’s all gone reverse and he looks like he has lost confidence in himself.

i wonder what happened to him since the 6-1 thrashing.

• 15 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 17, 2015 at 3:29 AM

Of course he is bonkers, who in their right mind would take on such a job with the problems and policies at this club?

• 16 stuart no9 // Oct 17, 2015 at 3:32 AM

lose on sunday , and i think its time to get his brolly out and make that long walk to wherever he plans to go , defeat IMO will make us certs to go down. Lets not forget , its only the middle of october and we are already 5 points behind 4TH BOTTOM ! The scum can actually do us a favour on saturday by holding WBA to a draw, A win for either team would be devastating if we fail to collect 3 points off norwich. trailing 4th place by 8 points at this stage of the season , tells me the games up and SM wont have or should not have the opportunity to carry on . For me , sundays game is a decider . should he be pushed or will he walk ?? Sundays game is massive for everyone connected to the club.

• 17 Jib // Oct 17, 2015 at 4:07 AM

I switched on the NUFC tv pre Norwich interview with this awful feeling in the pit of my stomach after reading Ed’s account of it.

The presser was upbeat , positive , and SM even had the journos laughing a few times.

He starts the interview talking about Tim and has a bit of a serious face , but goes on to say that’s football and he has every faith in Elliot he also confirms the 3 windows he constantly refers to are Summer/Winter/Summer.
    I watched carefully for the gloomy face that heads up the previous article , it is nowhere to be seen .

Then I checked the image from the presser I watched and the the one from the previous article it is not even from the same presser !

The mics are different.

Could folk have a rabble rousing agenda here ?

• 18 Jib // Oct 17, 2015 at 4:12 AM

Stuart to talk about a manager walking with not a dozen games played , after the reformation this club needed , and is currently undergoing , is just plain potty son.

• 19 Jib // Oct 17, 2015 at 4:30 AM

When did the ManUre reject Keith Gillespie suddenly become an expert NUFC pundit ?
    The only thing he’s expert on is how to lose £7million to Ladbrokes.
    The Chronicle must be paying the bankrupt a good fee to make contentious comments on McClarens utterances.
    A back door way of criticising the club without getting banned , quite clever really.

• 20 Jib // Oct 17, 2015 at 4:33 AM

People should make every effort to watch and listen to stuff first hand and then judge , not pay attention to someone’s edited highlights .

• 21 usmagpie // Oct 17, 2015 at 5:14 AM

Its looks like the door may be closing on SM soon, he does not look very positive and the talking is just making things worse. I for one wanted SM at Newcastle, he had experience with club and country so I thought it was a step up for us to get this type of manager. But sadly now I don’t have the faith in SM, but here is a scenario that may paly out within the next week or two, SM fails to get his team playing and gets fired and Brendan Rodgers comes in. Yes I know he has had a bad time at Liverpool this year but there something about BR that I like. I watched a documentary over here about when he took over Liverpool and he isn’t one to take players shit, he told them the way it is and if they didn’t like it then they could leave. If people remember he done well with Swansea by bringing them into the premiership and finished 11th in his first year. Not bad for a first time manager in the Prem and he also learned tons from Mourinho when he was at Chelsea. He took Liverpool to runners up in his first year. Maybe this will play out, maybe it will not but something had to change and soon.

• 22 stuart no9 // Oct 17, 2015 at 5:15 AM

jib—is it now?? ok , let me explain why i dont think it is so potty. we have played 8—3points- 5 behind 4th place. Lose on saturday, WBA win makes it 8 points behind, in the middle of october. now, over the next 3 years there is a total of £400m to be had in tv rights, now, correct me if i’m wrong £400m is certainly not to be sniffed at as far as Mr Ashley is concerned AND free advertising, so , apart from the fact ash is – as we all know is very kind and loyal to his employees , somehow i get this little niggly feeling that £400m would be – even by ash’s standards- a lot of money to flutter away on a manager who – lets be honest – is shyte, so options ? put all his faith – and money into a guy who looks like he has already lost the plot OR try to protect his investment . Pay for a manager who is better than SM – and lets be honest theres a lot about , in fact theres fu”ing loads about and buy the players capable of saving him £400M smackaroonies. your right , sacking a manager with less than a dozen games played is potty as you put it . sacking a manager with 8 or 9 games played and with a healthy 3POINTS on the board is in my eyes a no brainer. you have a different opinion to me , you can see something i cant , ok , what do you see ? son .

• 23 Jib // Oct 17, 2015 at 5:41 AM

Your use of phrases like “he looks like someone who has lost the plot” while seeming to sum up the situation are actually miles from reality.

I didn’t realise fans from across the pond were so isolated from reality although some of Ed’s recent posts should have given me a clue.
    There is more chance of Ron Rivera becoming our head coach than Brendan Rodgers !!!

After the Man City hammering SM was clearly down you could see that in his post match innterview at the Etihad media centre.
    Since then the football board have met with Ashley in Marbella and McClaren’s demeanour has dramatically changed for the better . He has obviously been the recipient of some positive reinforcement which now should filter down to the team.
    Cowardly hair pulling , chest beating and wailing to the sky helps no one in backs to the wall situations like this.
    John Wayne would be ashamed of you 😎

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2015 at 5:48 AM

Unfortunately we don’t want a manager unless he buys into our policy, a policy what is being increasingly being shown as an obvious failure. Mclaren had the best CV of anyone prepared to work under that policy but like, Slazenger, Dunlop and Kangol he’s a flagging brand bought on the cheap.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2015 at 5:50 AM

Positive reinforcement!
    It could turn out to be far too little and even way too late.

• 26 Jib // Oct 17, 2015 at 5:52 AM

Talking of cowardly , wailing , chest beaters
    Hi Jail 🙂

• 27 Jib // Oct 17, 2015 at 5:57 AM

This article from the Sunderland loving Louise Taylor from nearly 5 years ago is interesting on so many levels esp with the benefit of hindsight .

• 28 Average_Contents // Oct 17, 2015 at 6:12 AM

Someone seems to of sh1t the bed.

Either that or unusually they weren’t on the sherbet last night.

• 29 stuart no9 // Oct 17, 2015 at 6:12 AM

jib —- ok , so you think my comment that SM looks like hes lost the pot , is miles away from reality—– do you think SM comment——-But we said after Man City that our season begins now.” “It’s kind of been an extended pre-season, and now we have to start playing— is a fair enough comment in your eyes ?? also —– judge me on 10 games , no sorry judge me 12 games, — na , judge me at the end of the season —– im sorry ive forgot how many games he said to judge him on . can you remend me Jib please. ive lost the plot mate

• 30 will die for the toon army // Oct 17, 2015 at 6:18 AM

Its depression time wen NUFC loses and this has been so disappointing. We lose wen we have made some glimpse of good football.

I still believe in Mcca but I think its the transfer policy that has failed. We get good young players with no experience around them to guide them so we need to mix it up.

Mcca will get us good and I believe in that. Wait till the end of the season there will b optimism.

With form: against Norwich

• 31 will die for the toon army // Oct 17, 2015 at 6:21 AM

Guys we need to b patient. We have been a poor side for do long

• 32 Jib // Oct 17, 2015 at 6:26 AM

will die
    I like your team apart from the narrowness up front .
    With no natural wingers it means Janmaat and Dummett getting pulled out of position which could cost us against a team like Norwich who play very fast counter attacking footy.

• 33 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 17, 2015 at 6:35 AM

I hate to say I told you so, but this what you get when you have a system where those with responsibility clearly have no responsibility or worse a sense of responsibility.

The target set does not need to be reached…and there’s no accountability!

And some still doesn’t understand the saying “you get back what you put into it”. Why should the players give a d@mn when the management clearly don’t.

We need a change of management (not just the personal, but in mentality and sense of profession) if we are going to change the attitude around here.

• 34 Jib // Oct 17, 2015 at 6:35 AM

I hope you don’t have a season ticket.
    The last thing the club needs now is fans like you.
    Thankfully so far the crowd hasn’t got on the teams back and long may that be so , it doesn’t help at all.

• 35 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2015 at 6:46 AM

We can’t afford another Watford when we play Norwich on Sunday, but I don’t see it happening anyway. The difference will be a fit and eager Mitro up front. I watched him playing for his country and he looks like he’s getting fitter and stronger, scored a decent ‘goal’ ruled out for offside and was a serious pain in the a**e for Portugal central defenders in particular.
    I think this is the elusive 1st win coming up..

• 36 Reyantoon // Oct 17, 2015 at 6:48 AM

Thanks for your reply and information the other day.I don’t use internet to watch toon matches.
    I don’t like to watch in pubs or cafes.
    I usually use satellite to scour the availabile channels and bring them to my doorstep 🙂
    I used Idman for the last 2 or 3 years,and this season till mid September.But locked down for some reason or changed it’s satellite direction.
    On toon matters;
    If Pardew had the likes of Wijnaldum,Mitrovic,
    Mbemba and Thauvin in his squad,while he is still here,we’d have been flying like 2011 season! without a doubt 🙂

• 37 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2015 at 6:54 AM

Today I will be mostly supporting the Baggies against the mackems 🙂 but the head says a draw may help us more, given they’re just above us…
    Nah sod it! BOINNNG BOINNNNG!!

• 38 Jib // Oct 17, 2015 at 6:55 AM

Did you get this ?

• 39 Jib // Oct 17, 2015 at 6:58 AM

Sing in the corner
    You should be praying for all the bottom 5 or 6 to lose except when they play each other when a draw is a must.

• 40 Reyantoon // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:04 AM

No Jib, i don’t get that..
    I’m one of those who is a slow learner btw 🙂

• 41 Jib // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:07 AM

Log on here on Sunday not long before the game .
    Often there are tv stations decide to take the game last minute , if so I’ll put the links up.

• 42 Jail for Ashley // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:07 AM

I’m hoping for a dull monotonous 0-0 draw for the W Brom vs the mackems where neither team look like scoring and conceding shed loads up against decent finishers, five points from safety isn’t good, eight points could be a millstone.

• 43 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:17 AM

Jail / Jib

I know, but I’m torn between hatred and common sense!
    I’m also fantasising wistfully about injuries – like someone at the Hawthorns to clog Fletcher..or Defoe if he plays. Terrible to wish ill on someone they are honourary mackems and therefore fair game.

• 44 kakaobi // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:18 AM

All the signs don’t look good we keep getting told in the press only a handful of teams have managed to stay up with the same amount of points we have now so when we go to the match on Sunday our heads are down knowing our chances of winning are slim and now Macclaren wants to be judged on the season and not 10 games now think come February I’ll cancel my ticket and join the masses boycotting what I spend on football I could have a luxury holiday every year for the whole family.

• 45 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:25 AM

These next two games are pivotal though. I think we will win on Sunday, then if we can win or even give a good upbeat display and have to settle for a draw at the Stadium of… things will be a bit brighter.
    A self injected confidence boost will make a huge difference, of course.
    A draw and a defeat and the civil war kicks off again.

• 46 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:25 AM

kakaobi…that’s grown-up thinking mate. Something I can get fully behind.

Spend that money on something constructive like your family.

• 47 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:29 AM

I assume you are following the cricket…
    Do you think the PCB and the entire sub continent are trying to kill off the test game altogether?

• 48 Blofal // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:48 AM

I don’t think the problem is McClaren or even the board anymore.

There is a losing mentality engrained within the squad that I think can only be resolved with a massive clear out. They said they wanted to change the squad slowly however I think they realise that is no longer an option. Every player whose head drops when we go behind needs to leave.

For me those players are Krul, Coloccini, Sissoko, Cisse, Gouffran, Williamson, Anita and Obertan.

On top of that we need to offload Vuckic, Tiote and Marveaux and loan out Lacselles. I think we will keep Taylor but he is injury prone and of little value to be honest.

So keeping Talyor that is 10 players from the first team that need to be replaced leaving Elliot, Darlow, Taylor, Mbemba, Dummett, Haidara, Janmaat, Colback, Wijnaldum, De Jong, Thauvin, Perez, Riviere, Mitrovic, Aarons.

And lets face it some of those remaining will be squad players. I think we are going to recruit hard in January.

• 49 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:48 AM

His talk of ‘massive parties’ for achieving 40 points is ridiculous. If we achieve it early, why have a massive party, it is almost as if they are saying that its done and we can take our foot off the gas. If we achieve it late in the season, then it is hardly something to be celebrated. He is coming out with some strange comments, and is moving the goalposts on a regular basis at the moment.

• 50 Blofal // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:53 AM

I think we will beat Norwich. Mitrovic to score 2 goals. I think he is going to go nuts.

• 51 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:57 AM

My worry for January is unless we have changed our entire philosophy and transfer policies.

Firstly, getting ‘pound for pound’ and ‘value’. January isn’t a time that top players leave their clubs on the cheap. Particularly if the selling club has an opportunity to achieve in the season. You often have to overpaying transfer fees.

The other ‘value’ issue could be if we are sat in a relegation battle, which of the top players to push us forward would really want to come? We would have to over pay on wages, which again the club aren’t keen on.

Secondly, potential over experienced seasoned pros. We need some Premier league experience and battle hardened players. Again, Premier league experience costs, and doesn’t necessarily allow for a good sell on value.

We also need characters and a leader that can drive the team forward. The club don’t like those sorts of characters as they can be outspoken and influential amongst their team mates. They will also speak out when things are wrong.

It will be a real test of whether Ashley has changed, or not.

• 52 sing in the corner // Oct 17, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Among your offloads… Vuckic is just about back to fitness and returning to the Wigan side after an unfortunate ankle knock. I am dead sure this lad is a real player having seen him play several times. I think we should stick with him and see wether he can finally get rid of his injury woes. If nothing else he will command a decent fee rather than letting him drift out for free and come good somewhere else. When he came in to the team, he didn’t disappoint. Apart from maybe Krul I’m with you on the others though

• 53 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 17, 2015 at 8:04 AM

Add ‘we will struggle’ to the end of the first para. Restructured my post halfway through and forgot to change that bit.

• 54 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 17, 2015 at 8:07 AM

If McClaren now believes the initial target set for the season is way above us, would he also admit that he and the club got it massively wrong in the summer with their transfer policy?

• 55 usmagpie // Oct 17, 2015 at 8:20 AM

Jib just an FYI for you, I was born in Ashington. I hope you at least know where that is. I know more about the club and the town than you might think. Across the Pond lol

• 56 jimmysmith // Oct 17, 2015 at 8:23 AM

It is still relatively early, we could still be mid table by January, and this squad probably should be. The club could quite easily simply keep faith in it’s “process”, and only buy young players of quality at the right price. Has Newcastle under Ashley ever thrown money at a problem? Panicked? I can’t recall a single time it has. A large art of me hopes they don’t, and all of me hopes it isn’t considered necessary when the time comes.

• 57 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 17, 2015 at 8:27 AM

They panicked when we bought 5 in January a couple of years ago. Very few for big money, but it was certainly panicked attempt to stave off relegation.

• 58 jimmysmith // Oct 17, 2015 at 8:35 AM

Lilo, my memory may have failed me, but I seem to recall those 5 represented at the time what was considered pretty good value for money. Sissoko and Gouffran at the end of their contracts. Haidarra young and not bought for much. Am I wrong?

previous post: What’s Going On – McClaren Gives Up On Newcastle Already

next post: Is This Newcastle´s Best Team Against Norwich?