This Is What Has Upset Newcastle Fans

Steve McClaren said something during his press conference yesterday that has immediately upset some Newcastle fans when  he said the first eight games – from which we have managed only 3 points – was like an extension of pre-season.

Those 8 games are 21% of the season and it we continue with that kind of points haul we’ll end up with 14 points and certain relegation – which would be another Newcastle disaster.

Steve McClaren Press Conference B+W Background

Steve McClaren – comment was to motivate the players?

This is what Steve said yesterday:

“The first eight games were very difficult, very tough. They proved that. We’ve had setbacks and good performances.”

But we said after Man City that our season begins now.” “It’s kind of been an extended pre-season, and now we have to start playing.”

In the first eight game there are not many fans, after what happened in the second half of last season who thought we’d get just 3 points from the first eight games.

That was worse than the 4 points from 7 games we managed at the start of last season.

That’s especially true after speeding £52M on players in the summer transfer window – the most we have ever spent in any transfer window ever.

Steve McClaren also said he doesn’t look at the league table – well not until after 10 to 12 games.

That gives him a maximum of four games to pick up some points – but it’s been an awful start to the season.

Fans didn’t like the way Steve was flippant that we have only 3 points and are rock bottom of the league after eight games.

This is important stuff for the fans and we have gone almost two weeks following the 6-1 humiliation at Manchester City – it’s been very painful – and then we lose Tim Krul for the season.

🙁

We suspect McClaren is trying to motivate his players and saying the first eight games were always going to be tough and it’s now over and it’s now time to start picking up the points.

A win on Sunday at home to Norwich can relieve the tension.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Norwich?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• jayphoto

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:50 AM

For what it’s worth i think McClaren will get it right, no way hes the problem, was the same under Carver and in long spells under Pardew. There are signs in the games that things are changing slowly. In the first halfs vs chelsea and man city we played better than in a very long time. Needs to get some wins now though, next 4 games need a minimum of 7 points i think!

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Shame we never had a proper pre season and done our business early we might not to have had an extended one.

• catchy in norway

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Jail

Thanks

And yes I have seen the stats, and the guy does not inspire me, but nor has Tim for a long time now, I think he is our best keeper, but there is not much in it between them, we get a lot of pressure on us because Tim kicks it out somewhere round the HW line, when crosses come in he never deals with them, I think he stays on his line to much.

To start winning games we need to take control of the MF area a lot more than we do,

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Jayphoto,
    Of course we played better in a very long time, we literally could not have played any worse.

• catchy in norway

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Jay

100% agree

• hibbitt

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:54 AM

as i said last night this must be the most ridiculous statement ever made by a newcastle manager

• Rotonda heights

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:54 AM

SM managed to upset me by being appointed and quickly showed me why.

Not just his treatment of Kemen, Abeid and Aarons, but 3 points out of 8 games and a home defeat to SW reserves says it all.

Oh for a manager who actually plays to win.

• Rotonda heights

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Jay

The problem with wally is that just like Pardew when we occasionally have a good spell and are on top, the shutters come down and all momentum is surrendered, with us inevitably throwing it away.

• catchy in norway

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Jail

That’s been my point for a long time,

If you play poor , poor results will follow, under p45 and charver that certainly was the case. The poor results draged the clubs moral down to rock bottom and this is changing slowly.

We played very well vs a lot of the teams so far this season, (shefwed excluded).

• Rotonda heights

Oct 16, 2015 at 9:59 AM

How was watford at home a tough fixture

• BandB

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:10 AM

The Pardew and Carver loyalty statement a few threads back would upset them a hell of a lot more if they understood what he’s saying there.

So if he can convince people we are “on the right lines” his job will be safe, even if there’s nothing to show for it.

And if he can convince his bosses (they) that he’s trying his best, and that he won’t rock the boat (like Carver and Pardew) then his “loyalty” will also be rewarded.

Not exactly “I’ll be judged by my results” is it?

• catchy in norway

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Rotonda

I think you are being very harsh on Shteve, yes I think it’s was a huge mistake to get rid of Abeid, I think he’s a good player and should be In the first team.

There is a huge difference between Shteve and P45 , and I believe Shteve is shutting up shop to to try and get some wins on the board and build confidence within the squad, as the biggest problem in our squad is the mentality right now.

Now please don’t get me wrong, would I chose another manager , yes , but knowing the owner we have , Shteve is the best he will appoint.

• catchy in norway

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Rotunda

How was it not a tough fixture.

They have just been promoted and are used to winning , couple that with the fact they came to play us when our confidence was low, OC they would have smelt blood.

But to be honest , I didn’t think they were that good , on the day there 2 CF bossed our DF , the rest of the team was average.

And it happens every season , new teams come up, get some good results then fall away,

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Catchy,
    What about Watford, West Ham and Swansea, that’s also a lot of games we have been shyte !

• BandB

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:23 AM

In some ways I’m relieved to see this new training centre isn’t being built.
    It is surprising it isn’t, given that Charnley suggested it would be key to the business’s future operating model.
    The ideal in that would be a first team with a much higher contingent of players who have come through the academy. That’s an admirable vision both for the club and for English football.
    My fear, however, would be that the club’s owner, having paid for it, would expect to enforce this policy, regardless of whether the players are good enough or not.

Also, if our position at Christmas were to look hopeless, a ruthless chap might easily weigh up whether to stick or twist with regard to whether he should be buying playing assets or selling them.

Catchy….I hope McClaren’s current demeanour isn’t passed to the players. He hardly looks high on confidence himself.

• catchy in norway

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:24 AM

Jail

All I can say is I have faith he will turn it around

• catchy in norway

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Bandb

It is now we will see if the players are behind him.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM

catchy,
    Because you were so obsessively against Pardew you came across as a bit ridiculous now you are so pro Steve you are going the same way, how can you say we will finish above Palace this season without sounding ridiculous

• The overrated Frenchman

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:34 AM

McClaren has had long enough to at least show signs that things are on the right track. Clearly they are not. At this rate I can see him being gone within a month. And if so I won’t miss him. His smarmy, smirking manner has worn very thin, very quickly. Not that I’d expect too much of any replacement, given that the dynamic duo of Charnley and Carr would presumably be tasked with finding someone. What an absolute farce this all is. When will enough humiliation be enough?

• jayphoto

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:36 AM

@jail – I’m guessing catchy probably thinks Pardew will do what he’s done at every club so far in his career and go on a losing streak At some point during the season I’d expect Palace to go on a 10 games with out a win run and drop down into the lower half of mid table.
    Not sure we’ll finish above Palace but I reckon we won’t be far away from them

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:37 AM

I don’t think it will be long before Keith Bishops PR will be forgotten and Steve will not be able to help himself from praising Mikey in a bid to try to save a job he’s not going to lose.

• BandB

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Catchy,

I would say this to the players.
    “Your wages are being paid by people who, unlike you, will spend most of their waking hours between matches at work earning the money to come and watch you.
    Like you, they may feel under-valued and under-rewarded. They may not have much pride in the company they work for, or the things it asks them to do.
    They may work in a frank and unfriendly workplace, where praise is as rare as hens’ teeth and criticism an hourly burden. They may hate the work they do and wish they could stick two fingers up to the boss and walk out.
    But they can’t. Many of them know they will be on this treadmill until they die, if they are lucky enough not to fall into the now non-existent net beneath.
    They come to watch you looking for hope and inspiration, and a little bit of fun.
    If you can’t do it for the club, do it for them.
    And if you can’t do it for them, have some self-respect and do it for yourselves.”

• jayphoto

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:40 AM

One thing is for sure, Norwich game is absolutely huge. On TV too so I’m guessing Sky are hoping to see a Newcastle implosion and melt down!
    I’d bring Thauvin back in, Norwich concede a fair bit of possession in their play and on the ball he can make things happen. Colback in over Gouffran is a plus too!
    Bit worried about Elliot. Has a tendency to let shots go through him, his goals conceded record speaks for its self. Can’t ever stay fit for longer than 80 minutes either. I’ve no real worries about Darlow when he’s fit though. Seen him at Forest, he’s a standard 7/10 keeper similar to steve harper! He’s no world beater but I think he’ll be a safe understudy.

• AncientC

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Watford played 3 away matches before playing us, not winning any of them.

Watford beat us fairly easily and have since failed to win their next away game.

I fail to see where this winning wave of momentum came from that Watford were riding before turning up to St. James’ Park.

• banjax

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Plain and simple as far as the Norwich game is concerned. Newcastle must win, no ifs or buts. I still can’t believe some people wanting to give McLaren more time. If he can’t motivate well paid professionals to work hard for 90+ minutes then McLaren has no excuses since he had the benefit of a pre-season to put his back office team in place and was in situ when the new signings came. It’s time for Mike Ashley to put lame excuses to one side and make swingeing changes and appointments with Lee Charnley following McLaren out of the door. Time to make a real statement and try to appoint a high calibre manager with full control of ins and outs like De Boer etc. Put simply – if we can’t beat Norwich at home after being beaten earlier by Watford then we are well and truly up shit creek !

• catchy in norway

Oct 16, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Jail

I think if you were to go back to p45 first season when he finished 12 , I did not want him but I never said anything to negative , I praised him after wins, but I started to actually watch the football and listen to what he was saying and there was a huge difference between the 2, I believe the drain we finished 5th not many fans actually watched the games as when I came on here all I read was the words coming out of his mouth because we were high in the league, it took about 2 more seasons for people to actually catch on to the fact he was a fraud.

Now with Shteve , I think once again I’m starting from a neutral point, I’m prepaired to give the guy a chance, give him a season to get what he wants a cross to the squad we have and get a few players In that can help change things.

Now I wonder if it is me just being pro Shteve or others just not being fair, everybody should get some time to prove him or herself

• catchy in norway

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Bandb

I think they actually need to get out and see real people at work, and see how lucky they really are

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM

BandB
    Have I missed some announcement on the academy?

• BandB

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Blackley,

I was commenting that work is not in progress at the moment, and that therefore seems highly unlikely to be completed by early 2016, as was the plan in January last year.
    Unless, of course, you can personally vouch for the fact it has been started and it just doesn’t show up on photographs.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:06 AM

JimmySmith
    Sorry fella. I couldn’t help laughing at your Krul, Shilton, Schmeichel comment. We all say some daft things from time to time. Its great when it happens. A stress buster. Always welcome. That’s one reason I say old Jib is such good value.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:09 AM

BandB
    Sorry, I thought there’d been some news on it and I’d missed it. Should’ve known better than to expect information from the club about its plans for anything.

• Sav

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Not ANOTHER must win game….? This is the question Shteve; At what point do YOU think you should be judged on the team’s results? – Just so we know.

• AncientC

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Catchy -“Now I think most fans out there seem to be he total opposite to the way they where with P45. They are not prepared to give Shteve a chance.”

McClaren didn’t ask for a season, he asked to be judged after 10 games.

McClaren “I know the Premier League and we have to find a way to win, we’ve been searching for that win for six games. You are where you deserve to be but judge us after 10 games not six.”

8 League games and 2 cup games (We are supposed to be trying to win those now) = 10 games.

• Munster Mag

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Munster Mag // Oct 15, 2015 at 11:45 PM

Our toon u and others misunderstand my opinion on pardew. I think he is a middling manager but was vilified unfairly here. Remember, many were saying palace were going down last season when he went there. They were all wrong and look like fools to the media that geordies always fawn after. Yes we look like muppets now. I dont want him back and dont want to see palace do well believe it or not. As for his management of zaha…last time i saw him he was tearing some left back apart. Seemed to be doing fine under your old mate. As for steve,, i think we have a bluffer.

• NezzaNUFC

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Newly promoted teams have 1 desire and 1 desire only, to be in the premier league.

For this they will have desire, fighting spirit and determination, so in short terms they will prove to be difficult to play against compare to big teams.

We have players who think they can play for CL teams and have no fighting spirit and determination and have other desires.

There’s the problem.

• Munster Mag

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:32 AM

I agree with what someone said on an earlier post. SMC could go fast. d who liked himself too much to quit. SMC is very disappointing. But the players have little backbone. Well done Old Man Carr – nice work fella.

• hibbitt

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:41 AM

when the shit starts to fly Mc will walk next 3/4 games……….. home game with stoke will be like a war zone if this run keeps going

• martoon

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:45 AM

I have to say I never agreed with Catchy about how bad a manager Pardew was but I do agree with him about McClaren. While it really hurts to be bottom of the league and getting hammered off City you have to give McClaren a chance. In patches where we have played well you can see improvements but we lack consistency. We surely can’t be sacking a manager after about 10 games or we become a bigger laughing stock than we already are!

• Lindisfarne

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Catchy

When you say “take control of the midfield area” it reminds me of the all out defensive tactics that AP attempted. You are right that for more than one reason our midfield is out of kilter to often. But IMO we should be keeping possesion more higher up the pitch, involving the forwards more often and relieving the pressure off the defense to be both blockers and playmakers.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM

You only become a laughing stock if your replacement manager is just as bad as the one you sacked. Sadly if Wally was replaced his replacement would be someone similar from the sacked manager merry-go-round. If we hired a “superstar” manager -nobody would be laughing -well not initially – if they continued running the club in the same manner with the same clots running the show.

Sunday – is a must win -just to start getting some points in the bag – a decent haul – in the run up to January might lead to better players coming here.
    I think the Charlie Austin rumours that he is coming really do have a sniff of being true.