The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Is What Has Upset Newcastle Fans

9:44 am, Friday, October 16th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 105 Comments

Steve McClaren said something during his press conference yesterday that has immediately upset some Newcastle fans when  he said the first eight games – from which we have managed only 3 points – was like an extension of pre-season.

Those 8 games are 21% of the season and it we continue with that kind of points haul we’ll end up with 14 points and certain relegation – which would be another Newcastle disaster.

Steve McClaren Press Conference B+W Background

Steve McClaren – comment was to motivate the players?

This is what Steve said yesterday:

“The first eight games were very difficult, very tough. They proved that. We’ve had setbacks and good performances.”

But we said after Man City that our season begins now.” “It’s kind of been an extended pre-season, and now we have to start playing.”

In the first eight game there are not many fans, after what happened in the second half of last season who thought we’d get just 3 points from the first eight games.

That was worse than the 4 points from 7 games we managed at the start of last season.

That’s especially true after speeding £52M on players in the summer transfer window – the most we have ever spent in any transfer window ever.

Steve McClaren also said he doesn’t look at the league table – well not until after 10 to 12 games.

That gives him a maximum of four games to pick up some points – but it’s been an awful start to the season.

Fans didn’t like the way Steve was flippant that we have only 3 points and are rock bottom of the league after eight games.

This is important stuff for the fans and we have gone almost two weeks following the 6-1 humiliation at Manchester City – it’s been very painful – and then we lose Tim Krul for the season.

We suspect McClaren is trying to motivate his players and saying the first eight games were always going to be tough and it’s now over and it’s now time to start picking up the points.

A win on Sunday at home to Norwich can relieve the tension.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Norwich?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Newcastle News · Poll · Prediction · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

105 responses so far ↓

• 1 jayphoto // Oct 16, 2015 at 9:50 AM

For what it’s worth i think McClaren will get it right, no way hes the problem, was the same under Carver and in long spells under Pardew. There are signs in the games that things are changing slowly. In the first halfs vs chelsea and man city we played better than in a very long time. Needs to get some wins now though, next 4 games need a minimum of 7 points i think!

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Shame we never had a proper pre season and done our business early we might not to have had an extended one.

• 3 catchy in norway // Oct 16, 2015 at 9:51 AM

And yes I have seen the stats, and the guy does not inspire me, but nor has Tim for a long time now, I think he is our best keeper, but there is not much in it between them, we get a lot of pressure on us because Tim kicks it out somewhere round the HW line, when crosses come in he never deals with them, I think he stays on his line to much.

To start winning games we need to take control of the MF area a lot more than we do,

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Of course we played better in a very long time, we literally could not have played any worse.

• 5 catchy in norway // Oct 16, 2015 at 9:53 AM

100% agree

• 6 hibbitt // Oct 16, 2015 at 9:54 AM

as i said last night this must be the most ridiculous statement ever made by a newcastle manager

• 7 Rotonda heights // Oct 16, 2015 at 9:54 AM

SM managed to upset me by being appointed and quickly showed me why.

Not just his treatment of Kemen, Abeid and Aarons, but 3 points out of 8 games and a home defeat to SW reserves says it all.

Oh for a manager who actually plays to win.

• 8 Rotonda heights // Oct 16, 2015 at 9:57 AM

The problem with wally is that just like Pardew when we occasionally have a good spell and are on top, the shutters come down and all momentum is surrendered, with us inevitably throwing it away.

• 9 catchy in norway // Oct 16, 2015 at 9:57 AM

That’s been my point for a long time,

If you play poor , poor results will follow, under p45 and charver that certainly was the case. The poor results draged the clubs moral down to rock bottom and this is changing slowly.

We played very well vs a lot of the teams so far this season, (shefwed excluded).

• 10 Rotonda heights // Oct 16, 2015 at 9:59 AM

How was watford at home a tough fixture

• 11 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:10 AM

The Pardew and Carver loyalty statement a few threads back would upset them a hell of a lot more if they understood what he’s saying there.

So if he can convince people we are “on the right lines” his job will be safe, even if there’s nothing to show for it.

And if he can convince his bosses (they) that he’s trying his best, and that he won’t rock the boat (like Carver and Pardew) then his “loyalty” will also be rewarded.

Not exactly “I’ll be judged by my results” is it?

• 12 catchy in norway // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:12 AM

I think you are being very harsh on Shteve, yes I think it’s was a huge mistake to get rid of Abeid, I think he’s a good player and should be In the first team.

There is a huge difference between Shteve and P45 , and I believe Shteve is shutting up shop to to try and get some wins on the board and build confidence within the squad, as the biggest problem in our squad is the mentality right now.

Now please don’t get me wrong, would I chose another manager , yes , but knowing the owner we have , Shteve is the best he will appoint.

• 13 catchy in norway // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:19 AM

How was it not a tough fixture.

They have just been promoted and are used to winning , couple that with the fact they came to play us when our confidence was low, OC they would have smelt blood.

But to be honest , I didn’t think they were that good , on the day there 2 CF bossed our DF , the rest of the team was average.

And it happens every season , new teams come up, get some good results then fall away,

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:21 AM

What about Watford, West Ham and Swansea, that’s also a lot of games we have been shyte !

• 15 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:23 AM

In some ways I’m relieved to see this new training centre isn’t being built.
    It is surprising it isn’t, given that Charnley suggested it would be key to the business’s future operating model.
    The ideal in that would be a first team with a much higher contingent of players who have come through the academy. That’s an admirable vision both for the club and for English football.
    My fear, however, would be that the club’s owner, having paid for it, would expect to enforce this policy, regardless of whether the players are good enough or not.

Also, if our position at Christmas were to look hopeless, a ruthless chap might easily weigh up whether to stick or twist with regard to whether he should be buying playing assets or selling them.

Catchy….I hope McClaren’s current demeanour isn’t passed to the players. He hardly looks high on confidence himself.

• 16 catchy in norway // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:24 AM

All I can say is I have faith he will turn it around

• 17 catchy in norway // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:26 AM

It is now we will see if the players are behind him.

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Because you were so obsessively against Pardew you came across as a bit ridiculous now you are so pro Steve you are going the same way, how can you say we will finish above Palace this season without sounding ridiculous

• 19 The overrated Frenchman // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:34 AM

McClaren has had long enough to at least show signs that things are on the right track. Clearly they are not. At this rate I can see him being gone within a month. And if so I won’t miss him. His smarmy, smirking manner has worn very thin, very quickly. Not that I’d expect too much of any replacement, given that the dynamic duo of Charnley and Carr would presumably be tasked with finding someone. What an absolute farce this all is. When will enough humiliation be enough?

• 20 jayphoto // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:36 AM

@jail – I’m guessing catchy probably thinks Pardew will do what he’s done at every club so far in his career and go on a losing streak At some point during the season I’d expect Palace to go on a 10 games with out a win run and drop down into the lower half of mid table.
    Not sure we’ll finish above Palace but I reckon we won’t be far away from them

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:37 AM

I don’t think it will be long before Keith Bishops PR will be forgotten and Steve will not be able to help himself from praising Mikey in a bid to try to save a job he’s not going to lose.

• 22 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:38 AM

I would say this to the players.
    “Your wages are being paid by people who, unlike you, will spend most of their waking hours between matches at work earning the money to come and watch you.
    Like you, they may feel under-valued and under-rewarded. They may not have much pride in the company they work for, or the things it asks them to do.
    They may work in a frank and unfriendly workplace, where praise is as rare as hens’ teeth and criticism an hourly burden. They may hate the work they do and wish they could stick two fingers up to the boss and walk out.
    But they can’t. Many of them know they will be on this treadmill until they die, if they are lucky enough not to fall into the now non-existent net beneath.
    They come to watch you looking for hope and inspiration, and a little bit of fun.
    If you can’t do it for the club, do it for them.
    And if you can’t do it for them, have some self-respect and do it for yourselves.”

• 23 jayphoto // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:40 AM

One thing is for sure, Norwich game is absolutely huge. On TV too so I’m guessing Sky are hoping to see a Newcastle implosion and melt down!
    I’d bring Thauvin back in, Norwich concede a fair bit of possession in their play and on the ball he can make things happen. Colback in over Gouffran is a plus too!
    Bit worried about Elliot. Has a tendency to let shots go through him, his goals conceded record speaks for its self. Can’t ever stay fit for longer than 80 minutes either. I’ve no real worries about Darlow when he’s fit though. Seen him at Forest, he’s a standard 7/10 keeper similar to steve harper! He’s no world beater but I think he’ll be a safe understudy.

• 24 AncientC // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Watford played 3 away matches before playing us, not winning any of them.

Watford beat us fairly easily and have since failed to win their next away game.

I fail to see where this winning wave of momentum came from that Watford were riding before turning up to St. James’ Park.

• 25 banjax // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Plain and simple as far as the Norwich game is concerned. Newcastle must win, no ifs or buts. I still can’t believe some people wanting to give McLaren more time. If he can’t motivate well paid professionals to work hard for 90+ minutes then McLaren has no excuses since he had the benefit of a pre-season to put his back office team in place and was in situ when the new signings came. It’s time for Mike Ashley to put lame excuses to one side and make swingeing changes and appointments with Lee Charnley following McLaren out of the door. Time to make a real statement and try to appoint a high calibre manager with full control of ins and outs like De Boer etc. Put simply – if we can’t beat Norwich at home after being beaten earlier by Watford then we are well and truly up shit creek !

• 26 catchy in norway // Oct 16, 2015 at 10:58 AM

I think if you were to go back to p45 first season when he finished 12 , I did not want him but I never said anything to negative , I praised him after wins, but I started to actually watch the football and listen to what he was saying and there was a huge difference between the 2, I believe the drain we finished 5th not many fans actually watched the games as when I came on here all I read was the words coming out of his mouth because we were high in the league, it took about 2 more seasons for people to actually catch on to the fact he was a fraud.

Now with Shteve , I think once again I’m starting from a neutral point, I’m prepaired to give the guy a chance, give him a season to get what he wants a cross to the squad we have and get a few players In that can help change things.

Now I wonder if it is me just being pro Shteve or others just not being fair, everybody should get some time to prove him or herself

• 27 catchy in norway // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM

I think they actually need to get out and see real people at work, and see how lucky they really are

• 28 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Have I missed some announcement on the academy?

• 29 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:03 AM

I was commenting that work is not in progress at the moment, and that therefore seems highly unlikely to be completed by early 2016, as was the plan in January last year.
    Unless, of course, you can personally vouch for the fact it has been started and it just doesn’t show up on photographs.

• 30 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:06 AM

Sorry fella. I couldn’t help laughing at your Krul, Shilton, Schmeichel comment. We all say some daft things from time to time. Its great when it happens. A stress buster. Always welcome. That’s one reason I say old Jib is such good value.

• 31 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Sorry, I thought there’d been some news on it and I’d missed it. Should’ve known better than to expect information from the club about its plans for anything.

• 32 Sav // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Not ANOTHER must win game….? This is the question Shteve; At what point do YOU think you should be judged on the team’s results? – Just so we know.

• 33 AncientC // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:16 AM

Catchy -“Now I think most fans out there seem to be he total opposite to the way they where with P45. They are not prepared to give Shteve a chance.”

McClaren didn’t ask for a season, he asked to be judged after 10 games.

McClaren “I know the Premier League and we have to find a way to win, we’ve been searching for that win for six games. You are where you deserve to be but judge us after 10 games not six.”

8 League games and 2 cup games (We are supposed to be trying to win those now) = 10 games.

• 34 Munster Mag // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Munster Mag // Oct 15, 2015 at 11:45 PM

Our toon u and others misunderstand my opinion on pardew. I think he is a middling manager but was vilified unfairly here. Remember, many were saying palace were going down last season when he went there. They were all wrong and look like fools to the media that geordies always fawn after. Yes we look like muppets now. I dont want him back and dont want to see palace do well believe it or not. As for his management of zaha…last time i saw him he was tearing some left back apart. Seemed to be doing fine under your old mate. As for steve,, i think we have a bluffer.

• 35 NezzaNUFC // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Newly promoted teams have 1 desire and 1 desire only, to be in the premier league.

For this they will have desire, fighting spirit and determination, so in short terms they will prove to be difficult to play against compare to big teams.

We have players who think they can play for CL teams and have no fighting spirit and determination and have other desires.

There’s the problem.

• 36 Munster Mag // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:32 AM

I agree with what someone said on an earlier post. SMC could go fast. d who liked himself too much to quit. SMC is very disappointing. But the players have little backbone. Well done Old Man Carr – nice work fella.

• 37 hibbitt // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:41 AM

when the shit starts to fly Mc will walk next 3/4 games……….. home game with stoke will be like a war zone if this run keeps going

• 38 martoon // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:45 AM

I have to say I never agreed with Catchy about how bad a manager Pardew was but I do agree with him about McClaren. While it really hurts to be bottom of the league and getting hammered off City you have to give McClaren a chance. In patches where we have played well you can see improvements but we lack consistency. We surely can’t be sacking a manager after about 10 games or we become a bigger laughing stock than we already are!

• 39 Lindisfarne // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM

When you say “take control of the midfield area” it reminds me of the all out defensive tactics that AP attempted. You are right that for more than one reason our midfield is out of kilter to often. But IMO we should be keeping possesion more higher up the pitch, involving the forwards more often and relieving the pressure off the defense to be both blockers and playmakers.

• 40 Mister Tuff // Oct 16, 2015 at 11:54 AM

You only become a laughing stock if your replacement manager is just as bad as the one you sacked. Sadly if Wally was replaced his replacement would be someone similar from the sacked manager merry-go-round. If we hired a “superstar” manager -nobody would be laughing -well not initially – if they continued running the club in the same manner with the same clots running the show.

Sunday – is a must win -just to start getting some points in the bag – a decent haul – in the run up to January might lead to better players coming here.
    I think the Charlie Austin rumours that he is coming really do have a sniff of being true.

• 41 yorkshire_magpie // Oct 16, 2015 at 12:02 PM

• 42 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 12:04 PM

I believe the club hired what it believed was the nearest living thing to a like-for-like replacement for Pardew.
    Someone who would be a plausible frontman, would deal well with the fans and the press and could guarantee stress-free premier league survival.
    The problem is, as may be dawning on them, he isn’t Pardew.
    Pardew was extra-ordinarily self-assured.
    Never a hair out of place, never carrying an inch of fat. He struck you close-up as man who looked after himself in every sense of the word.
    Just below the veneer lay an aspirational home counties street fighter with a bite like a ferret and equally likely to let go. He was in no doubt that good things would come to him if he stuck it out.
    I’m not sure McClaren has that well of self-regard, and I think it accounts for the bizarre thinking out loud he’s been doing about loyalty, sticking things out, and the need to keep at least the hope that things are going in the right direction alive.

• 43 Mister Tuff // Oct 16, 2015 at 12:26 PM

I think Wally has until the last couple of days looked quite confident and self assured- it appeared he was trying to be more open with the fans.
    This alongside Mr Tubbs statement that we had made mistakes and were going to change looked like the dawn of a new era. Something that fans seemed to buy into.
    Unfortunately none of the hype has materialised into anything of substance – or put it another way – wins.

If we fail in the next couple of games Wally/club will introduce new parameters upon which to judge them.

• 44 Lynny // Oct 16, 2015 at 12:27 PM

Hes not a daft bloke like I’ll give him that! When He came in He said “Judge Me after 10 games!” Now he’s writing us off till now as pre season! I always get behind the gaffer, but we need to get six points off these next two games, or he needs to walk

• 45 catchy in norway // Oct 16, 2015 at 12:29 PM

MF is pretty much the area between the 2 boxes, and when I say take control , I don’t mean just hold onto the ball in our half, I mean impose our game on them , pressing them in there half of the pitch,

If we hold the ball in our half and make a bad pass , it’s only 1 pass away from being a goal, but by playing in there half , it gives us time to get into some sort of defensive position,

I’m not a fan of counter attack football. I prefer playing with 2 up and feeding balls into the box, with MF rushing in to help, I think we are tarting to play that way

• 46 barkel // Oct 16, 2015 at 12:30 PM

What’s the worry lads? A nice long pre-season at home. We’re going to finish the season unbeaten from here. We’ll finish on a healthy 77pts, 22wins and 8 draws (incl. our 3 bonus points from pre-season) top 4 and champions league watch out .. here come the toon!

• 47 catchy in norway // Oct 16, 2015 at 12:33 PM

I would like to think that the next 6 games are very winnable and that we should win at least 4 of them.

ESP the Sunderland game, that will help him out a lot

• 48 mindshaft // Oct 16, 2015 at 12:49 PM

So we sack McClaren if he loses next two games ( which I won’t argue against ), problem is that Penfold will just hire some other out of work mediocre english manager for tuppence.

Nothing will change whilst Fatty is in charge

• 49 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 12:49 PM

I think McClaren has just had a good stab at what that redefined messaged will be.

It will be that we shouldn’t panic about the results or the table, but be assured that behind the scenes and in brief flashes of okay performances on the pitch there is evidence that things are on the right track.

• 50 Sliema // Oct 16, 2015 at 12:58 PM

Why will tubbs spend 50 mil on players but refuse to spend a tenth of that securing a top class manager?

• 51 Mister Tuff // Oct 16, 2015 at 1:09 PM

BandB -hows’ things.
    I think the “we are going in the right direction” argument only has a limited life span. If we do not start and get a couple of wins in the next couple of games – quite rightly fans will start to panic and the realisation of relegation will become more apparent.
    I’ve no doubt there is money to spend in January – but will the teams needs be fully attended to – I probably doubt it – such as getting a decent CB/replace Colo – cannot see “the board” binning Colo.
    I wonder if Wally really wanted Colo – anyway we might get an idea after January.
    Despite initial thoughts of true change, as the weeks go by, it looks like nothing has really changed at all.
    The problems are clearly the amateurs running the club and I see no change at all in this area.

• 52 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 1:22 PM

I think it will be catnip to a fan base that has been swallowing such assurances about our direction for years.
    Many seem to have decided now that while perhaps it wasn’t going in the right direction at all, and that in fact the cumulative damage is so bad it will take years to fix, we are now definitely going in the right direction
    So all they need is more time for them to fix that damage that definitely, definitely WASN’T being caused.

• 53 Our Toon // Oct 16, 2015 at 1:31 PM

Are we 25 games into the season? With all the OTT reactions you’d think we are. 8 games in we’ve played last seasons top 4, 6 of last season’s top 10 and the only team in premier league history to win away at Arsenal, Citeh and Liverpool in 1 season (WH). Watford was a real blemish apart from and if….If mitrovic didn’t get sent off it would have looked alot more different.

Revisit this in January people, if we are still struggling then panic!!

• 54 Jib // Oct 16, 2015 at 1:32 PM

I don’t believe the club hired what it believed was the nearest living thing to a like-for-like replacement for Pardew.

I truly believe that Charnley and Carr have had SM in mind for a good while.

A big clue for me was the total leftfield signing of Lascelles and Darlow in Summer 2014 , both players McClaren had strong contact with early in their careers.
    Pardew when qizzed about them was very vague and didn’t seem tto know too much.

I think Pardew’s getting wind of the machinations behind his back was part of the reason he jumped ship.

I’m sure Charnley did get 80 applications in January and I’m sure he read them very carefully I’m equally sure he had no intention of appointing anyone other than SM and that’s why Carver was thrown to the wolves.

All will become clear in about 15 years when memoirs start being published.

• 55 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Our Toon

This is a bit like limited overs cricket.
    Every time a dot ball goes in the book, our strike rate to achieve safety goes up.
    Already it is getting close to the sort of points per game ratio we have been unable to achieve in two of the last three seasons.

• 56 Munster Mag // Oct 16, 2015 at 1:49 PM

B+B at 42….good point re Pardew. A tough nosed sod, but not home counties? I do believe he’s is from sarf London? Window glazier, deffo looks after his appearance – must have been all that glass he was looking in….and checking out the ladies…confessions of a windo glaziers mate , ooh er !!

• 57 Our Toon // Oct 16, 2015 at 1:52 PM

If you look at how we performed last season against these teams and see how we’ve done this season then I see nothing to really warrant the panic, it’s not the start we’d have like by a long way but we all knew it would be tough with the fixtures we’ve had. Watford was poor result but they aren’t mugs, they even went to Everton and got a point.

All I’m saying is save the we are doomed until January if we are still in this position!! Until then realise it’s not going to be an overnight fix, 8 games in and we haven’t had a settled side yet, patience is key, both on and off the pitch. Not saying mcclaren is fergie but fergie almost got man utd relegated and almost got the sack for under performing before transforming them. If anything it shows a manager needs time and a team needs time to adapt to new ways of playing!!

The point I’m trying to make is let’s see how we get on from here on in, see how we progress, if we do.

• 58 Munster Mag // Oct 16, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Our Toon, hope u read my post re Pardew @ 34, not that it matters and all that. Steve is giving me serious gitters. I had expected a really good coach, not a bloke who just teaches possession football. In farness i think he knows exactly who the lazy ones are, like Sissoko, and cant really say what he wants at nufc because of media control etc.

• 59 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 1:59 PM

Our Toon,

I’m not calling for him to be sacked.
    But I would like to keep pointing out the fact that we need to show signs of a serious uptick in form soon, or we will be in big trouble.
    You are seeing signs of improvement, I am not.
    Playing well for one half and losing is better only than playing badly for two halves and losing.

• 60 Our Toon // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:05 PM

I’m seeing flashes of improvement but not enough, but the calibre of opponents ie city and Chelsea need to be considered as well. Playing like we did against Citeh in the first half will win us games, the problem remains in characters to pick the team up when heads drop, we have non. Above all we need a ball winning midfielder to protect the back 4.

If mitrovic was free to play against Watford we’d have won, but the big test to see if we have improvement is on sunday against opposition we should be beating event though they are a decent side. At the moment anything the bloke says is jumped on and blown well out of proportion!!

• 61 Tsunki // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:07 PM

I think I’ll save all my doom mongering until the last half of the season then. After all, past performance, attitude and early warning signs pointing to recidivism aren’t all they’re cracked up to be. Better to be a ‘glass overflowing’ rather than a ‘look there’s a dirty big hole in the bottom of that glass’ kinda person, innit?

• 62 Our Toon // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:08 PM

I did read your post at 34 and agree with you, mcclaren like all knew managers needs time, 8 games in and he’s already being written off. Let’s see how it goes is all I’m saying, come January if we don’t see any improvement at all then questions should be asked but prior to that it’s just bonkers!!

• 63 bettyswallocks // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Playing ok and losing is far better than playing badly and losing. We have to be able to latch onto some of the positives moving forward or we are definitely doomed.

• 64 Tsunki // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:11 PM

There you go again, Munster –

On Pardew – “I think he is a middling manager but was vilified unfairly here.”

No he isn’t, and no he wasn’t. Check back on his record(s)

And another thing, he’s gone. Let it go, let it gooo!!

• 65 Mister Tuff // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:11 PM

Somebody highlighted this the other day – we are nearly a quarter into the season. Note nearly a quarter of our games and we only have three points. This is from a points haul perspective relegation form.
    We HAVE to start picking up points- wins – otherwise come January we’ll be too far adrift to catch up -regardless of January reinforcements.

• 66 Tsunki // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Betty – yes, except in relation to league position 🙁

• 67 Mister Tuff // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Our Toon – asking questions AFTER January will be too late.

• 68 Tsunki // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Mr T – how true. Not a hard Googling effort to see the stats on how many Crimbo bottom feeders survive the season

• 69 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:15 PM

Don’t worry man!
    They’re only friendlies FFS!!!!!!!

• 70 bettyswallocks // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Tsunki…….. I think addressing the performance on the pitch , taking the positives from the patches of ok play we have shown and building from there rather than dwelling on the negative depressing league position is what Mc C has been trying to say.

I think that makes sense as a plan of action, but whether it works remains to be seen.

• 71 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:22 PM

No Betty

Playing well for two halves and winning is far better than playing well for one half and losing.
    Are even playing badly for two halves and drawing is better.
    Playing well for one half and losing is about as unsuccessful as you can be, apart from losing after being crap in both halves.
    And we are still managing plenty of that.

• 72 hibbitt // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:23 PM

folk who are saying give it till january are trying to be fair but by then it could be to late in my mind the next 3/4 games are the key if we don’t start getting points in those games something will have to change….. january will be to late……i honestly believe Mc does not have the tools for the job and has been let down by the board and owner but its him that will carry the can

• 73 Tsunki // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:27 PM

Betty –

“That is why I will continue to watch and support the team rather than just assuming we’ll be relegated.”. Who said they were going to do anything else?

I think fans have every right to dwell on our league position, which is currently dwelling in the PL sump. 🙁

• 74 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:28 PM

I think I read somewhere that you are giving McClaren until Christmas.
    Is that right?

• 75 Munster Mag // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Tsunki, there isnt one credible jouralist out there who agrees with your analysis of Pardew. He came to a middling team, and left us a middling team after 5th place ( a bit lucky but hey ho the history books and all that …) some shocking runs, europe ( 1/4 final i think ) , terrible Makems results ( irrelevant in the great measurement though ) , a headbutt, managing with his hands behind his back, and a daft website attack from sources who were not brave enough to show their faces. So he left us mid table, saves Palace’s arses at a canter, gets them way up the table and in linked with England and loves by the media etc. But you think he is shit?? Wrong mate, flawed analysis because u didnt like him…he’s middling, not awful. Guys on here were blaming him for the rain on tyneside for goodness sake. You know I dont want him back ( at all ) , I’m just presenting a fairere ( to my mind ) version of events. And yes, he was lucky not to have been sacked. Its SMC who has me worried mate, big time. The excuses in the last two days worry me a lot.

• 76 Our Toon // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Hibbit, BandB, Tsunki, Mister Tuff

If we continue losing into November and haven’t won a game then he must go but if things start to improve which I believe they will then surely it’s a bit premature to be welding the axe. Look at our past history Swansea is hit and miss for us, man utd away was a very good point, Chelsea at home we normally win, Citeh away we always get thumped in the league, West ham we have a poor record against away. Watford was poor result and performance. Arsenal at home we always seem to struggle. Can’t remember who I’ve missed out off the top of my head.

Add up points against this lot in last 8 season and we’ll be 5 points worse off at best I believe, on average maybe 1 or 2 points worse off. Considering we didn’t have our best striker for more than half the games

• 77 Munster Mag // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Our Toon, given that there seem to be fewer weak teams this year, I fear that Jan may be too late. We may be coming to a situation where we are better off not getting points and sacking SMC, than drifting along with him , getting a meagre points total, but the club retaining faith in him. Two things – 1. The club HAS to break the mould of managers if we get a new boss. 2. Carr HAS to do what he is told and stop buying soft cocked slackers like Sissoko and Thauvin and Marv and Santon and Mbiwa . Whether we get a new boss or now, we NEED a new spine in the team. Sadly I think SMC knows all this but has been compromised since day 1, the same way as Pardew was but had to suck it up. Finally, as i keep saying, Fat Sam at the Makems is a dangerous development for us. On a positive note, can you imagine the joy here if Hippo Heed goes down with the Mackems. Oh what a giggle.

• 78 Mag52 // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:39 PM

Sorry mate but yes he is and yes he was.
    A glance at AP’s record over four years here will see an average eleventh place finish during this time. A middling position if ever there was one.

• 79 bettyswallocks // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:43 PM

Bandb……….. I will reserve judgement on Mc C s suitability for our club until the next transfer window. I think we will then know if he is going to be backed and he will know exactly what he needs to improve the team, I’m sure he has a fair idea already but can’t do much until then.

I do believe that plans are being made and he is obviously involved as well as trying to get the team to win.

• 80 Munster Mag // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Our Toon – u are being kind. I want the man to succeed but here is a different analysis….

S’ ton – a bit lucky not to lose a late goal, but OK. Theye were not like S’ton last season though – much weaker.
    Man U – Good
    Arsenal – not good in reality. We didnt have a shot on target – not good enough even with 10 men
    Sheff Weds – Awful
    Chelsea – Better
    Swansea – Rank
    Watford – Rank
    City – Rank ( not acceptable to lose like this, i dont care re previous scores)
    West Ham – V poor ( and we found that Thauvin isnt fast , great )

It aint pretty dude….

• 81 BandB // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:45 PM

So he has your unequivocal, undying support for a whole two months does he?
    I wouldn’t count on that, from my experience.
    Are you sure you can go all that time without completely changing your tune?

• 82 hibbitt // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:45 PM

our toon as i said the next 3/4 games is all we can give him if the points start to come great but if the dont then he has to go ………….. i honestly believe Mc does not have the tools for the job and has been let down by the board and owner but its him that will carry the can

• 83 Munster Mag // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:45 PM

Mag, no disrespect to Tsunki and Co, but these guys hate the fact that the stats, measured as a whole, show their fav londoner to be a middling mgr at NUFC.

• 84 bettyswallocks // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Tsunki ….. I didn’t suggest that fans are not entitled to dwell on our poor league position. I said Mc was trying to avoid the players and coaches doing that to try and instill a positive approach to playing football.

Going on the pitch worrying isn’t conducive to a confident , competent performance.

• 85 Our Toon // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Hibbit agree with you, he needs a win in next few games and he should get at least 1 win.

• 86 Tinman // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Wow been busy this week. New post on my website up if anyone is interested. Also with have details tomorrow of a special William Hill offer for the Newcastle game this weekend!

• 87 Tinman // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:52 PM

Does anyone think we won’t win on Sunday? I’m pretty sure we will get it done

• 88 bettyswallocks // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:53 PM

BandB…….. I will keep an open mind on McC until January and hope he can turn things around. If I am concerned about the team’s performance between now and then , that’s my prerogative and doesn’t mean I have written him off.

• 89 Malackay // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Starting 11 for tomorrow??

Janmaat Mbemba Colo Mbabu

———Colback — Anita——–

• 90 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:54 PM

S I said yesterday… waiting for January to sign players – After this player after that player.

Until we start winning games and moving up the table – signing players is pie in the sky.
    Who would want to come to a club sitting at the bottom of the premiership at Christmas.

To be able to go after these players in the transfer window we have got to win at least SIX games out of ELEVEN between now and January 1st which would leave us on 21 points and lower mid table going on past years.

Six games are winnable but the players have got to step up to the plate and perform

• 91 Malackay // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:55 PM

** For Sunday

• 92 bettyswallocks // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Band B …… In your infinite wisdom as to how to coach a football team, how would you suggest things are done differently on the pitch. Bear in mind I said team not club, as we are all more than aware of our inadequacies at boardroom level.

• 93 Malackay // Oct 16, 2015 at 2:58 PM

Tinman, I think we will get a draw. They have some good attacking players we will struggle with. Most notably Hoolahan, Redmond and Colo will get a rough time from Jerome!

• 94 Munster Mag // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Our Toon, put it another way, if we lose to Norwich, and play anything like we did v Watford, I would be fully in favour of sacking him. But we will appoint John Rudge or someone ffs.

• 95 Tsunki // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:01 PM

Mag52 – ah statistics, those things that even out a perilous yo-yo from top to bottom and call it the middle.

• 96 Our Toon // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:02 PM

We all evaluate things differently, look at previous scores against these teams which is what I’ve said. As for games this season:

Southampton: miles ahead of us in terms of fitness and preparation as they played 4 competitive games along with pre season friendlies, very good point as we faded in last 15 mins which is expected as they were fitter.

Swansea: we were very poor but Janmaat cost us the game with ill discipline, mcclaren though should have taken him off.

Man utd: we did very well and Krul won us a point in the end with a late save

Arsenal: not arsed we didn’t get a shot at goal, red card killed the game after 15mins and we did well to hold on defensively against a very good side going forward, they destroyed man utd in 15mins.

Watford: very poor result and missed mitrovic big time, worst performance this season, can’t blame the manager for Haidara trying to nutmeg someone at LB and conceding because of it.

West ham: very poor but they are a better side, we looked toothless without mitrovic again amd shows how key he is to us.

Chelsea: excellent performance but players dropped off and allowed chelsea to control the 2nd half, alot of positives and some negative from that game, overall much better from the team especially with pressing. McClaren did make a big error in bringing on young Toney instead of another defender though

Citeh: should have been out of sight by half time, poor decision cost us a 2nd goal which may not have changed the result but certainly gave citeh the kick up the backside they needed. 2nd half was shocking bit no different to how we’ve played in previous years. We resorted back to pards methods of sitting back like against chelsea rather than pressing like we have done under McClaren in some games.

• 97 Our Toon // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:05 PM

Who would want to come to a club sitting at the bottom of the premiership at Christmas? Erm Loic Remy!!

• 98 Tsunki // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Munster you could have stopped at ” the isn’t one credible journalist out there” especially in the sporting field. I rarely heed any of their tosh because they are in the sales business, prepared to laud the idiot and tear down the great according to their current agenda. And then you rattle off a loose description of Pardew’s errors as if they were minor offences, caught in a fleeting moment ,not weeks of disrepute ( Cue the credible journalist leaping to defend the head butt and foul mouthed tirade incidents, and the speculation over his employment as we lost record games in record ways and dangled near relegation) and months on end of dire football, and shallow tactics. You can stat him to the middle if you like but I think many would say his association with nufc will not be remembered for averagedom but for stultifying rubbish.

To top all that, Pardew, Schmardew.

• 99 Tsunki // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:10 PM

An just a last point, I think lots of sackpardew supporters showed their faces. You’d think we were talking about some shameful underworld society not concerned fans.

• 100 LGFUAD21 // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:14 PM

On the one hand steve is being a good manager. He’s got to remain calm to keep the players calm about it. Remaining calm doesn’t exclude giving them a kick up the arse.

But he can hardly say ” in worried about relegation. I think we’re screwed”

What more gets to me is that he isn’t speaking I. Depth about what exactly were not doing on the pitch.

If he was like “I’m calm. Not worried but we do need to start imposing ourselves on the game more, or we need to be tighter as a unit without nullifying our attack” that would be better.

It’s just that he’s calm but also seems content with how we’ve played.

I’m not as doom and gloom as others. We’ve had a horrible run of fixtures. But West Ham and Watford did worry me that we couldn’t even get grips in those games when our squad on paper should be more than capable.

• 101 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:18 PM

Our Toon
    good summing up of the games.
    I think we have played better football this season than a long time – stopped hoofball – but biggest problems seem to be the build up is to slow and we switch off and do stupid things/simple things at critical moments….
    Southampton game should of went 3 -1 up had a 3 on 1 break away situation put Obertan’s pass was shite.
    Swansea – getting back into game when Janmaat lost the plot
    Man Utd – another 3 on 1 break-away to take 3 points – Cisse blew it
    Arsenal – Mitrovic getting sent off changed the plan.
    Watford – second best – yet we had chances – Cisse should of had penalty.
    West Ham – plenty of possession but toothless.
    Chelsea – excellent most of game until they scored their first game then we panicked and lost the plot and nearly the game.
    Man City – best team first half bad decision by officials and MItrovic miss could of costs us but capitulation second half a BIG worry.

IF we play the we we have played, cut out the stupid mistakes get a bit of luck along with commitment and don’t let or heads go down we can get a win.
    to Newcastle United

• 102 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:20 PM

Our Toon
    Does he have a brain?

• 103 Munster Mag // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:21 PM

Tinman, i think we will win sunday. Mister Tuff I agree with completely @ 40. If we appointed a hot manager, nobody wud laugh. NUFC needs a big personality manager I think

• 104 Rotonda heights // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:30 PM

was wondering that myself. i would much rather have thrown 13M at someone like Klopp than Thauvin.

no club deserves any of allardyce, pardew, carver and sm, let alone the whole lot. one day we may finally tumble on a FDB, Tuchel, Viera or similar.

• 105 Munster Mag // Oct 16, 2015 at 3:32 PM

Our Toon, agree to disagree on some of that , but especially City, If we had gone 0-2 up it wud have made sod all difference – they wud have won 5 or 6-2. He plauyer the useless frenchie as a holding midfielder and couldnt motivate the troops at half time. There again, he is dealing with wimps. And so I go back again to Carr and his choices. How come teams like Leicsester and Watford can get blokes who fight hard and dont cost 12 million a pop, and we get nonces like Thauvin . Beacuse Carr likes pretty boy ball players like Marv and Thauvin. And surely Sissoko was no Roy Keane / Shearer / Keegan in terms of his mental strength, only to become a work shy non tackling euro dreamer as soon as he hit tyneside? Still I remain optimistic for Sunday, but its sad how reliant we are on a big 21 yr old foreigner up front, when we apparently got ourselves a tactically asture hot coach in the summer . Yeah right. If we lose badly, he can get stuffed. I havent been anto SMC at all, but the Krul comments and the ” cwhy is it always Newcastle” type doom mongering has alarmed me greatly . If Charva or Pardew had said that, we wud be hanging them from Tyne Bridge. And rightly so.

previous post: This Player Very Important To Newcastle