The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Identifies What Newcastle Need To Succeed

12:04 am, Sunday, October 18th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 48 Comments

Steve McClaren has given a number of different interviews since his press conference on Thursday afternoon and in some he’s been positive and in others he’s been not so positive – even saying on Friday that if he was offered 40 points in mid April right now – he would take it.

And he’s also said that Newcastle have no chance of finishing in the top eight and that he’s only concentrating on survival now – all that after just two months of the season?

steve mcclaren on touchline watford

Steve McClaren on the sidelines at St. James’ Park

But today he has been a lot more positive and admits the only way of breaking out of our terrible start to the season is by being positive and concentrating on some of the good stuff Newcastle have already shown this season.

It’s probably also true that we haven’t got as many points as that good play has warranted – but that’s all past and gone – and it’s water under the Tyne Bridge – time to move on to better things hopefully.

This is what the Newcastle head coach has said:

“By being positive and by showing positive things in that first half against Manchester City.” “And not by doing the things we did in the second half.”

“Simple really – just do that the first half for 95 minutes.” “So we’ve got to work hard and that win will be around the corner.”

“We have to have the self belief that we can do that and get 10 wins from the last 30 games.” “What I see on the training field, what I’ve seen in the first half against Chelsea, against Man City – that’s what I want.”

“Against Chelsea we fought and we defended for our lives, a little bit like we did at Old Trafford.” “I showed them a video after West Ham and we said that’s what we want.”

“It was only about seven minutes the highlight video, but we always do a highlights video as a bit of feedback and we try to make it positive.”

“So that was West Ham when the attitude and display was great for seven minutes out of 90.” “Then the positivity from the Man City game, I’ve had to keep it down to just 20 minutes for Man City.”

“And that’s just in the first half. Nothing in the second half.”

Newcastle fans are fairly confident about tomorrow’s game with over half expecting a win.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Norwich?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

If we can put in the same skill and intensity we showed in the first half at Manchester City last time out for the whole game tomorrow – then  we should be able to register our first league win of the season.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Interview · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press

48 responses so far ↓

• 1 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2015 at 12:08 AM

It’s really getting hard to be amazed by McClaren and the rest of our shambles of a board!

• 2 Ibizatoon // Oct 18, 2015 at 12:14 AM

With the Man City “twenty minutes”, that’s twenty-seven minutes of positive football to work with.

Let’s hope that tomorrow is the first of the ten wins!

• 3 Ibizatoon // Oct 18, 2015 at 12:15 AM

Jesper…Have some faith. Don’t ever write this board off as unable to amaze you.

• 4 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2015 at 12:18 AM

Ibiza…have faith?

…I never go into something with half -arse expectations 😉 I knew what we were getting (well I didn’t think it was this bad)

• 5 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2015 at 12:23 AM

Ibiza…but they sure as h$ll can amaze me 😉

• 6 Ibizatoon // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:18 AM

Jesper…That’s all I was asking of you.

Have faith that they will amaze you. If it wasn’t so close to home, I could see the funny side. Maybe

• 7 ilovetoon8788 // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:30 AM

What happened to Siem De jong. So much hype and he has disappeared. Another total disaster of a signing.

Will we be shipping him out in January?

• 8 Mister Tuff // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:26 AM

They need to ship out the perma-crocks – cannot see why they should be on the payroll if they’re always injured.

• 9 Magpie Season // Oct 18, 2015 at 3:41 AM

While Norwich have won against only Bournemouth & WBA, they have managed away draws at Liverpool & West Ham.

They know we need the 3 points more than them. Have a lot of players injured & we cannot afford to draw but they can. Which makes this a tough game & why there is such good odds on us for the win.

This will be a tough match to win. We need to win not only for ourselves but for football in the north east, after Sunderland’s loss yesterday.

• 10 Magpie Season // Oct 18, 2015 at 3:43 AM

Good question mate. He’s not showing as injured on physioroom so beats me.

• 11 chicousa // Oct 18, 2015 at 5:26 AM

ilovetoon and Mag Season,
    Yeah I agree: deJong has been one of the big mysteries of this depressing season. Is he still not in good enough shape? Does he have some unreported knock? Or is he just not good enough? At Man City when McLaren put Gouffran in the starting 11, it was a shock. Why didn’t he put Siem in the lineup instead of Gouffy?

• 12 ilovetoon8788 // Oct 18, 2015 at 5:29 AM

@magpie season

I don’t think Siem is injured. He looks like marveaux 2.0. He was on the bench when gouffran was playing centre mid. Says it all really.

He’s just another fail signing. Following in the footsteps of cabella thauvin riviere marveaux etc.

• 13 ilovetoon8788 // Oct 18, 2015 at 5:32 AM

Yes. I think Siem is just a perma-crock and mclaren doesn’t trust his fitness. We cannot afford players like him taking up the 25 man squad but spending more time in physio table. We are fighting relegation and we cannot afford crock like Siem taking up space.

We should quickly ship him out in January and get a proper replacement in and can actually contribute to the season on the pitch.

• 14 chicousa // Oct 18, 2015 at 5:44 AM

You may be right about deJong. Still not sure as he has had moments (too few unfortunately!) when he has looked decent with skills and creativity. But still he sits on the bench so the “crock” label is beginning to fit.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Oct 18, 2015 at 6:15 AM

Keith Bishop : Throw in the word positive as many times as you can, you’ve been sounding a bit negative lateky !

• 16 lesh // Oct 18, 2015 at 6:16 AM

Is this de Jong another example of Carr signing who’s just not up to it like his brother, Luke?

Carr’s flops are becoming more and more evident and seem to confirm that he’s very much a key player in the Ashley model of buying players with an eye on profit rather than the value they add to the team on the field.

• 17 chicousa // Oct 18, 2015 at 6:26 AM

And Thauvin, is he another high priced flop that Carr brought in who produces nothing but pretty boy hair and a tux?

• 18 cyprus // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:05 AM

10 wins in 30 IF we have self-belief?!!

Steve, thanks for the encouragement. Man are you freakin’. You have just put this season down to simply surviving… After 8 games?

I do not like your words man. Shape up!

• 19 sing in the corner // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:09 AM

The jellyfish nature of this squad is the worry. I maintain that we will get our first win this afternoon. But the Colo issue is the elephant in the room..
    Even the most hopeful of toon fans should ask themselves:
    Do I really fancy going into the derby and beyond with Coloccini as captain?
    Fat Sam will know his team need to continue to get stuck into our soft underbelly. Up and at em, rough em up a bit and thats the best chance that the derby run continues.
    Regardless of wether you still rate Colo as a defender or not, surely he can’t continue to be captain.
    For me it has to be Janmaat, or Wijnaldum.
    We can’t change the personnel much on the field. But a change of captain would freshen it up. I think the team is crying out for it, someone to galvanise things.

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:24 AM

Well the weather’s good today so on the next chopper and will more than likely miss the game so HWTL.

• 21 sing in the corner // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:29 AM

Have a canny trip Jail!

• 22 cyprus // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:34 AM

Sing, like all,
    you too are searching for THE problem. Not sure I agree with your assessment. Janm is, for example, a worse defender than Colo, too slow for the fast wingers he’s up against. For inspiration, look, for example, at those superfast Spurs defenders. Winj, runs out of steam too soon, a one half great player… which could explain our good halves terrible halves.
    I’m not picking on those 2 players, btw. Just because you mentioned them.

The coaches need to get to work. Where’s that evidence from the brilliant young coach? What’s that amazing psychologist done? And how has Steve made this team believe it can win, when he obviously considers a draw a win?

It’s not just Colo, believe me.

• 23 cyprus // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:35 AM

Jail, here’s the score so you need not watch: 2-1

• 24 lochinvar // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:40 AM

McClaren Identifies What Newcastle Need To Succeed

A. A win
    B. 50 points or more
    C . The F.A. Cup
    D. Juergen Klingsman
    E. New owner
    F. New sponsor
    G. Fresh flowers in my office everyday
    H. New trolley for tea lady ( Ringtons Mark2 Turbo )
    I. Purple tracksuits ( if there were good enough for David Ike they’re good enough for me )
    J. A bust of John Carver in reception
    K. And a win over the Mackems would be useful

• 25 archaeomag // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:47 AM

McClaren Identifies What Newcastle Need To Succeed…

Score more goals than the opposition?

• 26 sing in the corner // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:55 AM

I take on board your points, but I would say its the biggest right here right now problem. Not the only problem, not by a long chalk. But the one we can address first. We don’t have a standout choice as a new captain, that’s true. But we do have a stand out current non captain.
    I say again…are we happy to let Colo continue in the role, And to go into the derby with him still captain?

• 27 sing in the corner // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:57 AM

…sorry…that was in response to Cyprus @22. Its early 🙂

• 28 TroubledToon // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:58 AM

The only thing left for Mclaren to say is that the next 30 games are a preview to next season!!!
    And at this rate, the next season will be Championship for sure

• 29 Jib // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Although you are a prominent member of the whingeing crew you have surprised me with your lack of knowledge about Meneer Dr Jong.

Watford subbed for Cissé after 46 minutes.

Sheff Wed played full game.

Chelsea received blow to head from Ramires after subbing Sissoko suspected concussion.

Man City on the bench .

Get him written off boys , you know so much stuff. 😎

• 30 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Whenever some of you starts to be judge and jury on who’s good enough you just look at it from one side!

Most of these players have had a great career at high level in Europe and some even international.

The pattern here seem to be when ever we have average coaches at best alot of players seem to fail miserably!

The other De Jong brother returned to Holland and is again once on fire. Benny returned to France and is doing beautifully. Soon Abeid will be up to speed in Greece and Santon has done well in Italy. I am not sure why M’Biwa returned to France when you look at how many games he played at Roma.

It takes great coaches (not just in terms of football) to break in all these young and foreign players. What spring to mind is that we don’t even have one single English player to rave about.

• 31 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Cyprus…it’s not the coaches it’s all the players mate 😉

…and those damn foreigners! lol

• 32 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Just read the head line in the chronicle , Shteve said it was the vision that Lee C told him that sold it to him, in my head the vision went something like ……

I see trees of green, red roses too
    I see them bloom for me and you
    And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

I see skies of blue and clouds of white
    The bright blessed day, the dark sacred night
    And I think to myself what a wonderful world.

The colors of the rainbow so pretty in the sky
    Are also on the faces of people going by
    I see friends shaking hands saying how do you do
    But they’re really saying I love you.

I hear baby’s cry, and I watched them grow
    They’ll learn much more than I’ll ever know
    And I think to myself what a wonderful world.
    Yes, I think to myself what a wonderful world.

You got to laugh

• 33 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:17 AM

This blog has to many foreigners 😉

• 34 archaeomag // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:21 AM

Yeah! too many Southerners

• 35 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:23 AM

I think you just hit the nail on the head with the coaches, that’s why the term PARDEWED was coined.

I know you don’t rate Shteve , but he is the best out there that Ashley would employ, some really good England players have came out and said he was the best England coach they played under , so players rate him

• 36 Malta Mag // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:26 AM

In the Chelsea game and 1st half v Man City I saw enough to convince me that Mc Claren deserves more time to get things right. Like most I’m scared and like most I believe he has to make a decision on Colocinni but I can see that he wants the team to play on “the front foot”, something I never felt Pardew prioritized. Big names in the game had come out and identified McClaren as a top coach and I can’t believe by his media interviews that he’s anything but a man manager so in my opinion he has to be allowed more time. He’s a Yorkshire lad so should understand what our club is all about having been with Boro. His record in the managers role stands up, with Twente Enchede, Wolfsburg and of course Boro. To start labeling him with childish names and comparing him with Pardew and Calver is ridiculous. The club is going in the right direction but too many mistakes were made previously for it to happen overnight. A leader at the back and a creative midfielder plus Adam Armstrong back and I believe we have a top 10 team ready to push on. Answers on a postcard??

• 37 John Tudor // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:38 AM

colo out

• 38 sing in the corner // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:40 AM

Some good points in there. I think if we can get the foothold of 4-6 points in the next 2 games we will all feel a lot better and we can start trying to climb. Looking at yesterdays results we can see that other teams struggle against the big teams. Bournemouth have got half a team left and like us got a chasing off City,Villa lost poorly against a poor Cheslsea, Arsenal saw off Watford at their own place, Man U swept aside Everton. It puts some of our results into perspective.
    At the bottom mackems and WBA were dire. So there are a few teams who will be worse off than us. I know this is not exactly aspirational but we aren’t gonna be relegated as some are insisting.

• 39 sing in the corner // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:46 AM

Watching mackems v WBA on MOTD… Pants tillomon MUST play against us! 🙂

• 40 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:48 AM

Howay the Toon!! 3-1 today Mitrovic with two goals and Wijnaldum 1!

• 41 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Catchy…I know alot of ex-players who have played for him seem to rate him mate…BUT it’s not often you hear a fellow player or coach diss someone they have worked for and respect or even just a colleague!

…remember Arry keep saying what a good good coach McClaren is, he’s enthusiastic and so on 😉

He’s just another Pardew and I don’t believe for one minute we couldn’t attract better. We just didn’t want to for some reason. These decisions, which should be made by competent people, always seem to come back and bite us in the @r$e!

• 42 lochinvar // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Newcastle manager Steve McClaren says it will take three “transfer windows” for the club to start to be successful under his stewardship. (Observer)

Well that’s reassuring to now – by definition this seasons written off ( can I have my money back please ) and the danger is that the third life changing transfer window could take place in the Championship,

McLaren needs to stop his verbal diarrohea and get on with the job he’s paid to do – he’s not the PR lady

• 43 ScoopSouthAfrica // Oct 18, 2015 at 8:57 AM

I has been a while since I last posted, but I read everyday.
    I just wanted to comment on the mathematical chances of staying alive referred to in Posts 2 & 18….. .”We need to win 10 out of the next 30 matches”. This would give us 30 points plus the 3 we have = 33 points Definitely heading for the lower leagues don’t you think.
    To quote from the GOT’s “Winter is Coming” & “You know nuffin Steve McClaren”.

• 44 Jib // Oct 18, 2015 at 9:10 AM

Now that Sunday has arrived and with it the phenomenon that is the British Sunday papers.
    You get the impression that some of the journos having had a few days to think about it are definitely cooling towards Jonas Gutierrez.
    I don’t think the MP’s that in 2010 amended The Disability Discrimination Act ever intended it to be used by a multi millionaire to sue the people who made him one , for a few extra million.
    It was originally gleefully seized upon by the large contingent of Ashleybashers as another nail in big Mike’s plausability coffin but it now seems that his awareness of the situation was minimal.
    Guti is now receiving ( rightful ) praise for his performances in Coruna , it will be interesting to see the look on the tribunal’s faces when the plaintiff is introduced as this fit , young , and wealthy , Argentinian footballer.

• 45 Jib // Oct 18, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Strange things happen in sport.

In the RWC apparently , one of the semi-finalists got beat by lowly Japan !!!!

• 46 sparky55 // Oct 18, 2015 at 9:28 AM

When Maclaren told me we’d win and that we’ll be all right, looking back on it it seemed he was trying to convince himself more than he has trying to convince me, and he just laughed when I said he’ll have to drop to Colo if we’re going to win or we’ll have to score 4.

I didn’t see any steely determination in his eyes, and to be honest he didn’t look like a man who was excited at the prospect of what was ahead of him.

• 47 ScoopSouthAfrica // Oct 18, 2015 at 9:49 AM

You so right, what a wake up call, but I will support them as England got messed up by the Taffy’s. Southern Hemisphere team will win the RWC but methinks it will be NZ.

• 48 lesh // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Cyprus et al

I know that an ambition of 10 wins in 30 seems weak but if a player’s got any pride and among players equally committed to his team-mates and the Club, I’ve a fancy they would see such an ambition as an affront and far too low.

Might his ambition have been a part of Black’s reverse psychology – tell the players that’s all they’re capable of and they’ll do their best to prove otherwise?

previous post: Former Coach Has Good News For Newcastle