The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Head Coach Reveals Some Personal Life Details

10:06 am, Sunday, October 18th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 105 Comments

We have empathy and sympathy for any Premier League manager these days because anything and everything they say comes under intense scrutiny – and it´s good most of them don´t read the papers otherwise they may go stark raving bonkers – so to speak.

Alan Pardew said he never read the press when he was at Newcastle and that was a good decision by Alan.

Steve McClaren wally with the brolly -006

Steve McClaren – Wally with the Brolly

Steve McClaren doesn´t seem to either,  because in his press conferences when certain stories are brought up that have been in  the papers – he doesn´t seem to know about them.

Good for him.

But if you cannot take the criticism you are probably not cut out for this particular job – which pays out big money but maybe at the expense of the health of the PL managers.

That wouldn´t be good.

Steve took some horrendous criticism when he was the England boss for a short 16 months before he was eventually fired – and he has said this about that particular difficult life experience:

“After England, I could have worked the next day,” “Get back on the horse and work the next day. That’s what I wanted to do.”

“It was a massive blow to my confidence and belief but I still had that.” “I felt I had a lot to do and prove. I was only 44, 45, at the time, so I knew I was only young and I had to recover.”

“It is always 24-7, thinking of this that and the other, wherever you are in the league.” “Between 3am and 6am are the best times to switch off.”

3:00 am to 6:00 am eastern time over here in the US is when I do my first stint on the blog, so that´s not a good time to switch off for me – although some would claim that´s exactly what happens – given some of the articles that go out.

🙂

It´s 4:50 am right now and the game kicks off at 11:00 am our time – and I take the dogs out around 6:00 am – sometimes before that – they are asleep on the bed right now  – a rottweiler Olive and a boxer mix Milo.

As my wife Madeleine keeps asking me over these last eight years – why are you doing this stuff in what are supposed to be our golden years?

That´s a good question.

But I don´t have a good answer to that other than I may just be a complete idiot.

Yeah – that´s probably it.

Hey – all I want to see today is a Newcastle win like any other Newcastle fan and I´ll be very happy – extremely happy and it makes it all worthwhile.

I may even take Madeline out to dinner – I´m not daft.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

105 responses so far ↓

• 1 Ron Knee // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:12 AM

What’s all this obsession with horses?

• 2 Jib // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Mark Douglas is quite right.
    He gives it the usual Douglas spin but after the club’s treatment of him that’s OK and perfectly understandable.
    We tried to sign Rudiger , Matip , and Vestergaard in the Summer , for differing reasons the deals fell through .
    Time was running out , Colo was on the point of signing for Pardew , his transfer out had to be postponed until at least the next window.
    In August Colo suddenly found himself in a very strong negotiating position , which he took advantage of , no blame for that , he’s not a charity.
    After effectively no preaseason under his belt he had to kick up a couple of gears. He’s played some good games
    He should be commended instead of derided by no marks like Toonbrother.

• 3 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:17 AM

Ron…what horses?

…I even think Big Mike mistook a donkey for a horse 😉

• 4 cyprus // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Steve,
    to excel at the hippodrome you’ll need to remove the blinkers, relax about the surroundings and pressure and get on with it man.

• 5 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:21 AM

Jeff…it was still another uncalled for gamble by club!

…we are in this predicament because of the non existing experience by our shambles of a board!

• 6 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:23 AM

*the club

• 7 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:24 AM

BandB…the queen of spin!

• 8 hibbitt // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:27 AM

coloccini and charnley have dinner most thursday nights a loch fyne gosforth and have done for a number of years interesting to note charnley speaks fluent spanish ?????

• 9 Ron Knee // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:29 AM

hibbitt

I was wondering how they communicated!

• 10 cyprus // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Somebody talked about Chelsea beating a poor A. Villa. Good point, man. Wish we get Chelsea’s luck though. That was a lucky win, all the way.

• 11 hibbitt // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:31 AM

jib do you not watch the games coloccini has been dire and your talking about commending him

• 12 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:32 AM

Munster is going curmudgeonly these days, back on with his I Heart Pardew thing and now adding some challenging Irish chest beating in the rugby to the mix. Relax Munster, Jeffs got the annoying Ass thing tied down, leave it to the expert. And by the way, Rugby, Schmugby.

Is Steve garnering sympathy as well as loyalty now? Hmm. Nope. Not interested. Win today Steve, just…win.

• 13 lesh // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Off thread but could McClaren’s stated ambition of winning 10 of the next 30 have been a part of Black’s reverse psychology – tell the players that’s all they’re capable of and they’ll do their best to prove otherwise?

Just a thought.

• 14 Ron Knee // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:37 AM

jesper

Here’s a heart-warming fact:

“The Black Cats’ last three managers – Paolo Di Canio, Gus Poyet and Dick Advocaat – each lost their first game and went on to win the derby in their second match in charge.”

• 15 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Ron it’s a stat but I think it’s not necessarily new manager syndrome, more a statement – ” we may be dire, but not as dire as them”. Unfortunately they’ve proved it time and again.

• 16 Jib // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Hibbit
    Colo has not been dire.
    He has made the odd gaffe whcich have cost us.
    Show me a defender that doesn’t it’s the nature of the position .There are compilations on Youtube of John Terry clangers , are you telling me JT’s dire ?
    You are like so many moronic fans who are given an opinion by a clown and take up the chant like the kids in “lord of the Flies”
    “Kill the pig”
    “Pards plays hoofball”
    “We need Obertan for his speed”
    yadder yadder yadder

• 17 spitfire_ // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:43 AM

I don’t care, Steve. I don’t want to be your pal, I don’t need to listen for your personal life details. I just want from you to start win games. That’s it.

• 18 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Hate to agree but with more support from our pathetic and I mean absolutely pathetic midfield, our back line would look pretty solid. Beleaguered rather than bad is the word.

• 19 Ron Knee // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Tsunki

McClaren’s provisional new rallying cry: “Go out and show you’re less dire than SAFC!”

• 20 hibbitt // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:47 AM

back to normal jib ……….. no point in talking to you

• 21 sparky55 // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Lesh

winning one in three out of next 30 when our current track record is winning one in 18(?) seems a very tall order to me

Is it 18 games other than west ham since we won a game or is it more?????

• 22 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Ron – that’s ambition that is 🙂

• 23 Ron Knee // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Tsunki

I think the parasite would approve!

• 24 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:52 AM

” let’s go out and make our own luck against the mackems boys – bring out the horse and cart! “

• 25 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:55 AM

OK lads, we’ve lost against the scum so many times I can’t remember which one was last, a derby win or the Fairs cup, but let’s remember ‘United we stand’, at least for the first half. After that ‘United we should probably sit for a rest’. Now let’s bolt that horse onto that cart and show this new manager how a Newcastle side rolls over!

• 26 SUTTY1978 // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Jib, you think that Colo should be commended for refusing to play in pre-season and then waltzing into the team? You have a very strange opinion on what should be lauded.

• 27 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 10:57 AM

…meanwhile another glass case is being fabricated on wear side in readiness for another pair of grass stained suit trousers.

• 28 Ron Knee // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Unfortunately, we won’t have Tim Krul to congratulate the opposition on scoring a great goal.

• 29 sparky55 // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Get shot of Colo and I would wager our results would markedly improve with almost immediate effect.

When you’re a centre half and you know you’re playing alongside a sh!te centre half, you get drawn into covering for the sh!te centre half and you end up not 100% concentrating on your own job.

Mbemba has got the worst job in the premiership because he’ splaying alongside THE worst centre half in the premiership…it’s pretty much mission impossible.

• 30 lesh // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Aw Sparky

You’re a killjoy.

Winning one in three is a tad ambitious considering recent history.

• 31 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Toonbrother – talk some sense into Sparky! 🙂

• 32 sparky55 // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:09 AM

tsunki

LMAO…lap-top covered in tea and digestives!

• 33 nufconceandfuturekings // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Good Post, Dr Ed. No, you’re not daft, you’re doing something you love. That’s wisdom.
    Your work on this blog is appreciated.

And always and forever….haway the lads.

The Makems seem to think next week is a foregone conclusion. Oh, to take the smugness off their faces…

• 34 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:11 AM

The problem is the core of our team is below standard and not currently living up to the coaching. That means that a number of good players who would shine in a well organised team are ruthlessly shovelled into the ‘ crap’ category. That includes Krul, Colo, Cisse, while others decide to throw in the towel, Goofy, Sissoko, Tiote… the only bright spot is that some are trying, mitrovic, Perez….

• 35 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Sparky 🙂 , I do try to provide a service.

• 36 Jib // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Sutty I think the club kept Colo away from things because his transfer was almost a done deal.

Is it only on blogs that “fans” put the worst possible spin on everything a club and it’s employees do or say ?

I can’t wait to see who will be the first to put the knife into Chancel if he should give away penalty .

• 37 optimistic prime // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Jibs a unhappy bunny today, he must see a toon win on the horizon

• 38 hibbitt // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:18 AM

op ….. jib ‘s his normal self a pain in the arse

• 39 manxpie // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:18 AM

Colos been babysitting LB’s for about 3 years now if we actually had a solid LB we’d see the best of collo again

• 40 Jib // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:25 AM

optimistic prime

Moi ?

Je suis heureux comme un cochon dans la merde

• 41 magpie6699 // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Is Mbabu fit? Even though he’s out of position, would he get in at left back ahead of Dummetrt based on Chelsea performance?

• 42 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:28 AM

Jeff vous habitez en merde tous les jours, n’est-ce pas?

• 43 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:28 AM

😀 just joshing ha ha

• 44 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:29 AM

I didn’t googlify that so sorry for the typos…

• 45 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:30 AM

2-0 today. Brief sigh of relief.

• 46 optimistic prime // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:30 AM

Jib

Does English not have enough words to express your BS?

• 47 Jib // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Opto
    Loosen yer stays
    Ya miserable get

• 48 Jib // Oct 18, 2015 at 11:54 AM

What Guardian thinks

• 49 Mister Tuff // Oct 18, 2015 at 12:16 PM

I see Jib Jibberish aka Jeff/Jane has killed the blog.

• 50 SUTTY1978 // Oct 18, 2015 at 12:22 PM

Jib, Colo signed the contract extension over a month after we started pre-season so that cant be the case. Either way you are talking about a player that wanted to be elsewhere just as he has for the last 2 1/2 years
    He has had one ok game this year and that was against the lightweights of Arsenal where the whole team sat so deep that there was no room for anyone to get in behind him.
    Please don’t say he was good against Man U, he got torn to shreds, they just couldn’t finish

• 51 AncientC // Oct 18, 2015 at 12:28 PM

I certainly hope it isn’t going to be a 4-2-3-1 today. Redmond and Jarvis need to be watched, but the emphasis should be on giving them something to think about.

We are in a hole so deep that even a win today would only be our 2nd in 20 league games. The time for playing cautious is over. It is go for the jugular or fold.

• 52 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Ed

I can’t stand it when managers say they don’t read the press or fans forums. OK maybe some of them aren’t capable but surely if they did they may get a heads upon what fans want and expect, rather than just burying their heads in the sand with no plan B.

• 53 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2015 at 12:44 PM

ancient

that has been the biggest disappointment with SM. we had defensive hoofball done to death with pardew and allardyce.

Nothing much seems to have changed when we still apprear to be playing for draws and anything else is a bonus, except it hasn’t been 8 games in (+SW reserves at home).

• 54 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2015 at 12:47 PM

Isn’t there somewhere Jib needs to be.

• 55 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:01 PM

Rotonda…Pennywise the blog clown is not wanted anywhere else so we are stuck with him!

So….who’s excited by the prospect of another trashing today? I know I won’t be judging McClaren before the end of his three years contract;

…it takes time you know!

• 56 Rotonda heights // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Toonking

You have the gift of contradicting yourself so many times,you don’t need to invent a multiple.

I am only extreme in wanting a good manager. I know that won’t happen under Ashley. How does that make me an Ashley hailer .They are not mutually exclusive.

AP was poor, SM is not the one I would have replaced AP with, but they still both remain mediocre at very best. Again how does make me an Ashley supporter.

As I said before you drip on like a gormless drone with very little based in fact. You should have a word with yourself as you’re probably the only one who would understand.

• 57 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:24 PM

Colo’s programme notes:
    “The season starts now”

Ah get f-*ked you gutless tool you and SMC have been bleating that tired before every game for weeks now

Stop talking and try winning a f**kin game you tool

• 58 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:28 PM

I’m an Ashley sympathist too I suppose.

Ashley Out!

• 59 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Steve says “today is like a Cup Final!” then turns and looks at Colo – both look puzzled and hold upturned palms to the sky before Colo finally says ” No, me neither!”

• 60 toonking // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:36 PM

RH

bullsh1t you act like a believe in ashley every single week. You might not have been expecting a manager like mac but I DID. I say time and time again we’ve appointed JFK TWICE, lambarse, wise, charnley whilst the one main hope was of course a one who walked away.

I even state that the reason behind chris hughtons sacking would be down to possible disagreements behind the scenes over transfer windows and sale of carroll

I have said throught ot my time that the removal of pardew would do nothing more than see another yes man. Every time i speak of just who we’d get i’ll give a bit about the history. you mate are the one with more belief in ashley, nearly everyone of your posts talks about getting a new manager not once have i found a post talking about the other messes.

If i really had belief we’d get a decent appoint why do i generally feel like just accepting going down.

Face it mate you are too embarressed to admit you were wrong all along in ashley getting a decent appointment.

• 61 davetoon // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:37 PM

hahaha a cup final. We have no idea what a cup final feels like

• 62 JAMSHA // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:41 PM

For Some Reason Today Im Feelng We Will Win 3-1

• 63 geordie157 // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:43 PM

Get the feeling tiote may start today sitting in front of the back four, last chance I think for him. marveaux maybe on the bench

• 64 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Jibber Jabber
    Do you ever go to SJP? Toonbrother has been proved right. If you can’t see how bad Colo is, you should stick to all the other sports you have a close interest in. You’re a Jib of all trades, master of none.

You now seem to be saying that Jonas’ case under disability discrimination legislation will turn not on his illness but on his riches. Not his on health but on his wealth. Explain that.

• 65 SUTTY1978 // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:49 PM

Looking forward to seeing the dreamteam combo of Anita and Ginger Jack in central midfield, that will strike fear into Norwich.

• 66 toonbrother // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:50 PM

they dont call me the smartest guy in the room for nothing
    It’s taken seasoned pundits like Jamie Redknapp 8 games to see what toonbrother saw right from the start
    COLO in the defence guarantees goals to the opposition
    Southampton 2 goals conceded
    Swansea 2 goals conceded
    Westham 2 goals conceded
    Watford 2 goals conceded
    Only when we parked the bus v Arsenal and ManU did we concede fewer than 2 goals
    Not only does this put undue pressure on our attack to score at least 3 goals per game to secure a win, it drains the entire team of confidence.
    I find it utterly astounding that supposedly intelligent men can claim colo has been made to look bad by a series of poor left backs
    He has played alongside Santon, Mbiwa, Dummett, Raylor, Haidara, Enrique (alongside whom he played when we got relegated).
    All of these players could not have been BAD.
    I can excuse fans who do not have the discernment to see colo for what he is
    I cannot excuse wilful blindness

• 67 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Toonking

Your miles off track thinking RH is a Ashley supporter/fan , and I’m not even sure where you make the connection. Wanting to change a manager means he wants to change the manager , wanting to Chang the owner means you want to change the owner,

It’s like me saying I really dislike Oberan at our club, it’s a total waste of a shirt number, doesnt mean I don’t want rid off Goofy or Williamson, I would rather have a 16 yo kid in there.

• 68 toonbrother // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:50 PM

@Blackley and Brownlie
    It takes a real man to give another man credit for being proven right

• 69 Tsunki // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Yep. Inevitable.

• 70 Mister Tuff // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:51 PM

toonking – a little bit of history perhaps – King Percy was the manager when Carroll was sold not Chris Hughton.

• 71 toon kk // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:53 PM

We’ll never cope with Norwich’s work ethic they’ll run our unfit lackluster bunch off the pitch.

• 72 toonbrother // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:54 PM

@29 sparky55
    could not have put it better
    He will ruin Mbemba’s career the same way he has ruined Mbiwa’s, Williamson’s, Perch’s and everyone he has played alongside
    As soon as he is dropped for good we will climb up the table
    I guarantee it
    The question is how long will it take Mclaren to gain the courage to drop him

• 73 scout // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:55 PM

I hear mr t starts. MASSIVE game this

• 74 scout // Oct 18, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Lads Norwich are normally poor on the TV. We are poor all the time.

• 75 ilovetoon8788 // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:01 PM

its going to be miserable afternoon today with a 1-1 draw.

• 76 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Do we have enough to get the win today? Absolutely, 100%.

The difficulty is demonstrating it over 90 minutes. Playing a great 45 minutes then a terrible 45 isn’t any good, you will suffer a lot doing that.

We need to be on top for a good 70/80% of this game and take our chances. Norwich will definitely get chances with our defense we so need to rely on the keeper a bit, a little bit of wastefulness from them and we need to bury our chances when we have them.

I’ll make no excuses, I don’t rate McClaren, I don’t think he will take us forward, not seen any of his sides play particularly quality football. But it’s who we have now, so I want him to do well. Hope he can go on to prove me wrong.

• 77 Transfer Sage // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:07 PM

Interesting stat on the BBC Sport website, in the build up to our game.

The last time Newcastle failed to win in their opening 8 league games was the 1898/99 season…….a very very long time ago.

• 78 toon kk // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:07 PM

MA regime would have worked far better if he’d shouted the championship for the best players over the years instead of France, at least the work ethic would be to a higher standard.

• 79 SUTTY1978 // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:12 PM

I’ve been one of the few to consistently agree with Toonbrother on Colo. I will give him credit when he does have a good game but that’s very rare.
    I would like to see Dummett start at LCB today alongside Mbemba, also someone needs to be given a man-marking job on Hoolahan if we are playing three midfielders.
    If we carry on with our normal way of playing then Cameron Jerome will bully the crap out of Colo and Hoolahan will run in behind our midfield

• 80 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:14 PM

Sutty
    There is not a chance in hell SMC would ever drop his captain

• 81 toonking // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:15 PM

catchy

It’s just a good job his type is limited because manager bashing is the very thing cashley himself wants. He doesn’t give a fcuk about toon fans just the TV cash and his profits. Alan pardew was a stupid appoint itself but he didn’t care what fans thought he just knew pardew would keep the toon up and had it not been for palace pardew would have still been here and likely remained here throught out his contract. pardew provided ashley a great puppet, he didn’t conplain, he took all the abuse and basically he was a yes man.

Ashley knows from his past that mac himself would not be welcomed by most toon fans, he might have did fine at FC twente and won a league cup with borro but he was an attrocious england manager and that is what newcastle fans will see the most. So as things go on, like pardew, he too might begin to get the main abuse whilst he’s doing a good job as far as cashley is concerned with suvival in the premier league and being that typical yes man.

• 82 toonking // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:18 PM

cashley doesn’t give a fcuken about toon fans*

• 83 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:22 PM

@milesstarforth: Programme reveals Rob Elliot signed ‘new long-term contract’ last year. This was never announced at the time – or any time since. #nufc

Hahahahahahaha ffs

• 84 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Toonking

its your prerogative to not like who ever you like, but i think if you look at the facts, then IMO Shteve is 10 times the manager P45 is and will ever will be.

he finished 7th twice with boro and won a cup.
    he won the treble with Man u
    he won the league in Holland against the big 3 teams , so the guy has something, fair enough it did not end well at Derby, but before we got involved in trying to entice him, he had those flying, so that is 4 different clubs he has done ok at.
    he was never going to do well at Forrest for 2 reasons, 1 his Derby connection, 2, Forrest are a terrible ran club.
    wolfsberg. did he get a chance?

he came to our club when it was on its knees, from poor management and poor guidance from the owner, it was never going to be a quick fix, then with those fixtures we have had, i think we are points wise where i thought we would be, 3-5 points.

this is now the time for me where he has to prove he is the right man for the club. up to the Liverpool game on the 6th Dec, evey game is more than winnable, and i expect to win at least 4 of them.

• 85 toon kk // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Come January we’ll be so far behind, Mash will cut his losses and not bother strengthening, because we’ll never catch up.
    Hell have a ready made squad ready for the championship once a few are cashed in.
    We’ll also struggle in the championship by the way.
    Most players are a disgrace to the black and white shirt tbh.

• 86 toon kk // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Derby giving Wolves a good thumping 4-1.
    For a championship side Derby are streets ahead of us, just shows how far behind we’ve fallen.

• 87 toonking // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Tuff

Pardew himself might have been manager but it was only a month on from chris hughton’s sacking and the amount of things happening at the time make it a serious question why he’d just sacked chris as a general sacking.

Their were stories going about back in the final months of chris hughton’s time that he wasn’t very happy with things himself. in october andy carroll himself had just signed a 5 year contract but then makes a sudden transfer away from newcastle and stories were made the next day claiming carroll was forced to make a transfer request. The new manager himself was of course pardew, a manager who had been out of work for years.

He could have chosen to sack chris in january and brought pardew in but that would make it too clear for others to see so instead he sacks chris in december allowing fans to think it was a normal sacking then brings in a yes man who’s bee out of work therefore allowing ashley full control over the transfers and when that chance came he forces carroll into putting in a transfer request knowing the yes man will be able tto back the owners words.

• 88 Mister Tuff // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:50 PM

toonking – not sure about your theory surrounding the Carroll sale era. I always thought that the move was not initiated by Carroll at all but the club.
    I do not think the club delayed the sale until King Percy was in post.
    As for Hughton clearly pedalled for not getting the barrack room lawyers to sign their rights away.

• 89 lesh // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Sutty, Jib

According to an article on another blog, it seems that despite telling the so-called board, in June, that Colo wouldn’t be in his plans and he wanted a vocal, experienced CB, McClaren was told that that wouldn’t happen due to the expense of doing so.

So, rather than buy a player we actually needed, they chose to blow £13m on Thauvin.

It seems to me that there are two with a real interest in enacting Ashley’s inspired thinking of buying, nay investing in, young foreign players as disposable assets.

I’d imagine Charnley’s one – he wants to keep his job – and Carr, who must surely be on some profit on sales bonus.

McClaren’s hands are tied and his input into buying players seems to be limited to such an extent I can see him walking unless he gets full support for his proposals.

• 90 Mister Tuff // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:54 PM

As for the Elliott contract – wonder why they kept that under wraps – probably as he was one of King Percys’ boys – loyalty bonus.
    I think he is not a quality keeper over a series of games – in fact he’s a tub of lard.
    Wobblier than a Chivers jelly.

• 91 lesh // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Might well have missed his posts, but is young TakeaChancel (aka ToonfromLeeds) still adding his wisdom to the blog?

• 92 Thump // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:57 PM

@lesh: Cabella will take £6m (ish) out of that £13m though. Still a useless but though. I mean, yeah, we need width… So why not go for the free Ayew. Surely that must have been cheaper than Thauvin?

• 93 Mister Tuff // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:57 PM

Hope Mr T is not ring rusty. He should add a bit of “proper” fight to the midfield.

• 94 AncientC // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:59 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised if there is no formation named with the team sheet here…

• 95 toonarmydownsouth // Oct 18, 2015 at 2:59 PM

If rumours are true then a possible CM pairing of Colback and Tiote….

Can’t think of a more negative midfield in the league

• 96 CypriotDelight // Oct 18, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Toonbrother – I have never agreed with u that it is all Colo’s fault but ur prediction of not winning with him in the team is sadly proving true. I hope that changes today as I fear he will never be dropped….

I still believe that the whole team have to improve and by closing down, pressing and going at the opposition we will take the pressure off the back.

For some reason I think we will win today and win the derby but then again I have been drinking Keo!
    Ed – I really hope Madeline gets wined and dined tonight.
    HWTL 🙂

• 97 AncientC // Oct 18, 2015 at 3:01 PM

4-4-2, looks quite good.

• 98 firebug666 // Oct 18, 2015 at 3:01 PM

#nufc Elliot, Janmaat, Mbemba, Coloccini, Dummett, Sissoko, Tiote, Colback, Wijnaldum, Perez, Mitrovic

• 99 Jib // Oct 18, 2015 at 3:03 PM

lesh
    That info comes from Mark Douglas and is half true — McClaren gave them a list of CB targets which , all fell through , so having agreed a sale to CP of Colo they had to backpedal.
    A bit like Sir Les to Spuds a few seasons back.

• 100 lesh // Oct 18, 2015 at 3:05 PM

Thump

Whether we get £6m for Cabella depends on whether he’s wanted or not. Indications seem to be that he’ll be back at SJP in January!

Another fine mess on the horizon and maybe it’s time Ashley listened to and heard what McClaren says – he’s got more top-level experience in the game than Charnley, Carr and Moncur!

• 101 lesh // Oct 18, 2015 at 3:09 PM

Jib

Ok, so McClaren provided a list of CB targets and Charnley didn’t get them in. Could they have been too expensive for what was left in his little piggy-bank having committed to Thauvin?

• 102 toonking // Oct 18, 2015 at 3:23 PM

catchy

When working at manchester united mac was working alongside one of the best managers known, he was also involved in a team which had already been built up and most importantly he would not need to face the same pressure a manager would face from the media and fans.

The management of teams since that has been very much the same as pardew, his time at boro had it’s good moments to begin with but like pardew his season after that 7th place finish in the league saw boro playing awful a fan even threw his ticket at mac’s face,only thing mac did that pardew didn’t do was win a cup with them.

Pardew had an awful time with charlton but that can’t be used as an excuse when mac himself fails to get england into euros.

Mac did win the league with FC twente but you could say pardew was a great manager himself when he did what he did with reading, reading might sound a lesser team but at his time there people saw him as one of the great young and upcoming managers!

Pardew has went over to palace and managed to get them out of a serious relegation battle and guid them into the top half (first time a PL manager ever has). So if he can do that as a sh1t manager then why can’t mac do that in just 1season at newcastle as a manager who sounds great?

• 103 Bambams // Oct 18, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Sissoko will not put his head in if he thinks he might get a little hurt. Can’t believe the size he is constantly pulls out of aerial challenges.

We need to stop standing still ball watching when crosses fly in to the box . It’s amateurish to say the least

• 104 catchy in norway // Oct 18, 2015 at 5:51 PM

People must be able to see we play more as a team than we have , it’s all about a losing mentality that we have to shake

Well done

• 105 TroubledToon // Oct 18, 2015 at 7:13 PM

Hey Ed.. Just wanna thank u for tirelessly putting in ur shifts for the blog… Yes, at times v do give u a bit of s**t (at times, warranted 🙂 ) but I still appreciate what u do
    Cheers mate 🙂