The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Issues Sobering Message To Fans And Players

10:20 am, Monday, October 19th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 68 Comments

Steve McClaren has already gone through hell and high water in his still short stint as the Newcastle UNited head coach and we have to say we were impressed with him in the press interviews after our first win of the season yesterday when we hammered Norwich 6-2 at home and Gini Wijnaldum was magnificent with four great goals.

steve mcclaren alex neil at end of game

Steve McClaren and Alex Neil shake hands (briefly) at final whistle

But there was no high fives or anything like that with McClaren in his interviews immediately after the game and he admitted we had played well going forward, but we never really had control of the game.

Here´s some of what Steve said after the game:

“It was great for Gini to get his reward. It was a fantastic performance.”

“He showed what he is capable of doing. We need consistency. We need a little bit more. Consistency from everyone. They have all got a lot to do.”

“Relief? Yes. But then I’m now thinking we have to prepare and do it again next week. The feeling is very short. Football is about momentum. You can have it the other way which we have had. Now we want it forward.”

“I never got too down after Man City or too high with this. There´s a long way to go and lots of work to do but this showed the potential. It showed the supporters what we are capable of doing.”

“We shake everyone’s hands, and we say well done, and prepare next week for a big, big game. We need to keep it going.” “We showed today what we are capable of doing.”

“We have been calm and vocal and focused in our support for the players.” “You need that first win. Behind the scenes it is a huge relief. It showed our capabilities. We have been sensing that.”

“But it wasn’t a game under control from anyone. That will lose and win your games in the long run. We have to get more control. But going forward we can be a threat.”

Steve´s right of course in that we didn´t have control of the game and it was just the fact we kept scoring in that second half that prevented Norwich coming back into it – and they still looked threatening when they attacked.

Our lads were clinical indeed in their finishing yesterday – let´s hope we can do the same thing at Sunderland next Sunday.

So given that we know we are still weak at the back and there;s still a lot of work to do – we are still going to celebrate this win for a few days yet.

At least Newcastle can score goals and the mood on Tyneside has to be a lot better today than it was yesterday morning.

We scored as many goals yesterday in one game than we scored in the previous eight league games combined so there´s cause for hope and cause for some celebration.

And we doubled the number of points we have this season in just one game and improved our goal difference by four goals.

There are times to be upbeat and times to be downbeat – now is not the time to be the latter.

🙂

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

68 responses so far ↓

• 1 the broons // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:26 AM

I mean there is abseloutely no way we are gonna keep a clean sheet against the mackems so we need similar attacking potency.

However it was clear to everyone that down the right hand side yesterday, their players had eternity on the ball. We need to make sure that isn’t the case next week right from the off otherwise we will get punished.

• 2 lesh // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:33 AM

The only thing in our favour for next weekend is that Sunderland don’t score too many so for all our crap defence will leak, we should be able to score more than them.

Could we be getting back to the Keegan days of leaking like a sieve but scoring to win?

• 3 catchy in norway // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:38 AM

9catchy in norway // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:37 AM

I find it very hard to criticise sissoko for not tracking back , because if I was to pick on him the IMO Gini should also get a mention in that department as he was as guilty of the same thing on the other side.

Instead I would rather say how well they played as a team to win 6 -2 giving the fact that we were under so much pressure just to get a result.

Against city we lost 6-1 and got slated for conceding so many, yet in reality it was a only a poor 25 mins that we got wrong. For the first 45 we were the better team.

Against Chelsea for at least 70 mins we were the better team.

To many focus on negative things rather than look at the good things , under p45 against Norwich we would have took the lead then just defended it , even if it was for 80 mins . At least Shteve wants to go for things and try and win.

Next week is the next big test , IF. We manage to win at the scum, then we will be ok. Shteve will be ok

• 4 martoon // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:46 AM

the broons @1 – yeah you’re right and I’m sure Big Sam will be looking at those and hopefully McClaren will address them. However when Anita came on he did add cover to the right hand side and we looked a bit better although not completely secure.

• 5 lesh // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:48 AM

Repost

Sell Ayoz and it’ll spark off fan resentment again, big time!

It’d be a grave mistake selling him at this stage – especially to a club like Tottenham! He should be tied down long term and if it’s clear we can’t satisfy his ambitions in future and the likes of Barca or Real Madrid are sniffing and make an offer we can’t refuse, then there’ll be no choice but to let him go.

It’s really up to the Club to try to satisfy his, other top players and the fans’ aspirations. Perez, Gini et al could be the Club’s stepping stones to the upper echelons of European football and they shouldn’t be cashed in for short-term profit.

It’s up to Ashley to back his May statements of intent by keeping lads such as Perez and build on the foundations they represent.

• 6 davetoon // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:49 AM

Just on Perez. I hope Charnley is talking to his agent abiut a new long term contract and pay rise to keep him happy otherwise he will have his head turned.

• 7 John Tudor // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:50 AM

ashley was all talk
    he is only in it for the money he came take from us

• 8 John Tudor // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:51 AM

can

• 9 martoon // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM

I also think it is slightly unfair to give Dummett too much stick. He obviously wasn’t 100% match fit and still getting up to speed as is Hadaira but McClaren needed a left back so he had to play one of them.

• 10 lesh // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Davetoon

You’re asking a lot of Charnley tying Perez down – he’s got more pressing matters on his desk.

If he doesn’t replace the recently retired Kath, he’ll be making the tea!

• 11 catchy in norway // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Lesh

I think you have a good point, he will not be sold when Ashley has said he is trying to bolt the cart to the horse , if he wants to make it right with the fans , it will take time and he needs to dig deep in his pockets and support the manager.

By selling Perez he would undo what he is trying to do, and anyway I think Perez might fetch 20mil right now , but give this kid 3 more years with us and if he stays hungry he will be worth 2 or 3 times more , he is a good player

• 12 BeeGuy // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:53 AM

While Wini & Sissoko need to track back, there are 2 defensive midfielders that are supposed to be be protecting the back line.

• 13 Bobbybee // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:54 AM

I had an x ray two weeks ago. Only to discover my spine is crumbling and one of my verterbrae.is pretty well flat. Full scan coming up to discover if it’s just my back or if all my bones are thinning. And I just thought it was a result of having both knee caps removed and the pain spreading upwards. Today, I literally cannot move, despite getting my lad to push me in my wheelchair from the car to the ground. Still a lot of walking when I get there. (On crutches). Was it worth it? Oh yes. 100%. Despite two sloppy goals, ironically down to the player who’s shone so well thus far – Janmaat – I can forgive him this time. Some time ago I commented that following City we had a run of very winnable games and so far so good 1/1 😉 We played some lovely football to the eye and despitecsome

• 14 lesh // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:56 AM

Catchy

I think the media’s speculating that Spurs’ll be selling Harry (one season wonder) Kane for big bucks and like Manu which’ll be losing Rooney in the next season or so, the press are going up with Perez as a likely replacement.

• 15 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Lesh, Kevin’s side had the second best defensive record in the league, certainly on one occasion. Not a bad sieve. Plus a great style to watch as well. Miles better than sitting back all game and trying to nick one.

I always favour scoring (even if it leaks some goals – that can come with the territory) ahead of an OK defensive team who cannot score. The more you work on an attack minded system, the better you can be at it. As I’ve said on many occasions, if you’re attacking, you ARE defending. If you’re defending, you’re not attacking.

• 16 lesh // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Bobbybee

Osteoporosis?

• 17 lesh // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:59 AM

LR32

Spot on!

• 18 davetoon // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Glad the game coyld give you something to smile about Bobby.

• 19 expatmag // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:00 AM

Welsh

A couple of threads back about the rugby

Maybe so but thats the worst I have ever seen us play and yet we still won.

Doesnt matter anyway as NZ will win it. They are awesome.

• 20 davetoon // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:03 AM

LR32. Our problem in recent times has been holding on to the ball. We cant seem to string more than 2 or 3 passes together and our crossing generally has been shocking.

Thats why Sissoko stood out for me yesterday especially with that cross to Gini for that second goal. That sort of quality has been sorely missed.

• 21 lesh // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:04 AM

Expat

Don’t be too hard on Welshyboyo, he’ll be suffering but he’s got his friends to provide him succour – the problem he’s got is that they’re still out on the hills ’til they’re brought down for the winter!

• 22 Rotonda heights // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:05 AM

Only blots yesterday was how much it emphasized the madness of selling abeid and kemen, yet retaining a disinterested unfit Tiote and a somewhat limited colback.

last season aarons, perez and abeid shone out in dismal times and that figure in midfield is still missing.

The front 4 look potentially exceptional, but the full backs are still exposed too easily or sucked in to areas they shouldn’t be.

I guess Rome wasn’t built in a day and can hardly complain after a goal fest we haven’t seen the likes of for a very, very long time.

• 23 optimistic prime // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:05 AM

I couldn’t help but dream of 5 past the mackems.

1-0 would do me fine, embarrassing them with 4 or 5 would be a treat.

• 24 toonking // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:08 AM

JFA i stand corrected it was ourtoon who did it and it was on friday, names were mixed up ass you were one of the bloggers i’d had the debate with and he just did a sudden post.

• 25 toonking // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:12 AM

well well just one day and we’ve seen a post aout him already, you might have missed it last night catch so i’ll let you off

challenge to all bloggers both anti and accepted parjew-

Between now and the game against palace itself we DON’T TALK one bit ABOUT PARJEW and his time here.

i’ll make more reminders at other times so everyone gets a chance to see

• 26 Munster Mag // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Bobby, i didnt realise you had such health issues. Really sorry to hear that mate and hope it improves like the Toon.

• 27 expatmag // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Lesh

I sympathise with him mate…….lol

I just recenrly returned from a quick trip to the UK and was sitting in a house full of Englishmen during the England Wales game.

Naturally, I went fir the underdog just to piss them all off.

It was fun……..lol

• 28 Munster Mag // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Toonking, me mention the OTT criticism Pardew got when he was here , never ! Sorry 🙂

• 29 toonking // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:17 AM

munster mag

even his good times are not to be mentioned mate

• 30 Bobbybee // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:19 AM

Lesh, not sure yet mate, hence the scans coming up. They need to find out if it’s my whole body or just my spine. The pain is indescribable and been getting worse for four years or so, so I finally went to the doc when I could no longer walk to the ground on crutches. Should’ve gone earlier but i’d convinced myself it was all in relation to my knackered legs. One vertebrae is completely flattened, so I imagine that’s the painful one. The others are just a bit crumbly 😉 Anyway, we’ll know more soon enough so fingers crossed. What a game though eh? Just a few tweeks needed and we’ll be on our way. Not getting carried away yet, but they did go to the stadium of shyte and won 3-1 lately. 😉 Let’s all hope it’s a sign of things to go. Howay the lads. 😉

• 31 martoon // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Bobbybee @13 – Sorry to hear about your health problems but pleased you made it to the match yesterday. I think you’re being a bit harsh on Janmaat – nobody tracked the run of the overlapping LB which to my mind should have been Sissoko or the right sided defensive midfielder which I think was Tiote at that stage.

• 32 Jail for Ashley // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:27 AM

toonking,
    No bother,
    On another note, is toonbotherer now going to honour his bet of us not winning a game with Collo in the starting line up this season, that was the original bet I took up with him, I paid up on the rearranged terms now it’s his turn !!!

• 33 magpie6699 // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:27 AM

I don’t think anyone’s getting carried away even though we managed to double our season’\s points and our goals tally in one game. We didn’t dominate but we were lethal on the counter against a surprisingly poor defence. The Sissoko / Janmaat flank looked horribly exposed although I too thought Sissoko had his best game for a while as an attacking midfielder. What’s the answer? I don’t know.
    One thing’s for sure, next week will be a very different game. I may still go into hibernation for the day but for now it’s lovely to be able to enjoy reading the blogs, listening to the Sports news etc. for once.

• 34 catchy in norway // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:30 AM

OP

That’s what I think also, 1 goal more than them will do just fine for me , but I hope that it will be 3+ goals. And that’s why I said yesterday was just what they needed , it was a win but it also showed them they can score goals.

They created 3 great chances vs man c and should have scored them , they created good chances against Chelsea and scored 2 . So I think you can see they have been working on attack much more than p45 ever did , and like most people know you have to score goals to win games.
    I don’t see Sunderland creating many chances in games, and they concede a lot, I think our result yesterday will have Sunderland worried , there best chance is holding onto a 0-0 and get a point. But me going for 3-0 to us

• 35 Slank // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:32 AM

It may sound strange but I don’t think the club wants to sell Perez. It’s more others speculating about which clubs would want to buy him. I even don’t think it’s Perez’s agent.

If the lad is unhappy with life on Tyneside then sell him if the club’s efforts to keep him fail. Personally I haven’t seen or heard anything to indicate he wants out.

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:33 AM

I don’t think a win against the mackems is beyond us after the monkey was removed from our backs yesterday, that would have lifted huge pressure from everyone involved, as people keep pointing out, it wasn’t the most accomplished performances but it has given a feel good factor which is priceless.

• 37 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:33 AM

toonking

That palace manager is good, we should go in for him, I’ve forgotten his name though, can you remember.

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Slank,
    I found it quite sad that a poster yesterday seemed happy that Wijnaldum would now be worth 30M pounds, in fact he seemed to be quite excited by it.

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM

welsh,
    You really are a tw@t !

• 40 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Jail

Does that mean you are in a good mood for once today then.

• 41 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Jail you are so cute when you are angry.

Ha ha ha

• 42 barkel // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM

A lot of defensive work still needed but what a result lads! At 3-1 my mate was asking if I was confident and I said we’d need to score 7 to be confident. We looked the best I’ve seen in a long time going forward but you could see the nerves in defence. Hopefully Dummy trains well over the week, he looked very rusty and made a few mistakes that we were lucky weren’t punished

• 43 John Tudor // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:39 AM

ar5h0le

• 44 optimistic prime // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Catchy

I was glad to see us score goals and although I’m critical of the defence and wide players for not covering I can’t help think that one of the DM’s should have dropped in but it still bugs me seeing players jog back.

I’ve had a few messages off mackems I know and they’re worried, they all say they don’t score and their defence is shit.
    They’re expecting to lose, and that was before yesterday lol.

If we keep it tight and play to our strengths we should get all 3 points.

I’d prefer Anita over Tiote and I’d stick Dummet in for Colo but that’ll never happen.

It’s the Derby out can happen and I’ve been confident before, I’m looking foward to it and it’s down to the players to show they want the win as much as us!

Any win will do 🙂

• 45 lesh // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:44 AM

Bobbybee

Sounds as though you’ve suffered some gyp.

Let’s hope whatever’s ailing you’d fixable, soon – McClaren might need you to shore up our defence. It needs strong characters in there!

Keep smiling bonny lad and if the gods are kind next weekend, you’ll be dumping your crutches, Lazarus-like when the Mackems are put to the sword.

• 46 angelswithdirtyfaces // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:50 AM

( before we all get carried away)

• 47 Mag52 // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:54 AM

If the rumours about us possibly selling Perez are true, it will be the second real test of Ashley’s new beginning announced at the start of this season.
    Can he resist the lure of a quick buck or will he go ahead and break up what is looking like an effective attacking force ? The ball’s in your court Mike.
    Just a word on Hoots. Another win at the weekend makes Brighton the only unbeaten team in English pro football. Good on you Hoots. Keep up the good work.

• 48 martoon // Oct 19, 2015 at 12:00 PM

I see HBA has been at it again. I understand why we got rid but still a dreadful waste of a talent.

• 49 barkel // Oct 19, 2015 at 12:09 PM

martoon-

The French league seems to suit him, it was an awful pity he couldn’t do it consistently for us. Although if he had have he probably would’ve been sold on already!

• 50 Slank // Oct 19, 2015 at 12:19 PM

Mag52 @ 47

There is absolutely no evidence that the club wants to sell Perez.

The club is financially self sufficient and doesn’t need to sell.

It’s muckrakers in the medis who are hoping Toon fans get all hot and bothered.

• 51 martoon // Oct 19, 2015 at 12:21 PM

I’m taking Jib’s crown today 🙂
    but this is quite a decent analysis from Lawro except he doesn’t seem to realise we’ve playing Sissoko on the right wing for ages!

• 52 Shearer.Milburn // Oct 19, 2015 at 12:35 PM

really cant slate sissoko for not tracking back (which I think he actually did quite a bit of) as he provided so much of an outlet for us going forward and was excellent at picking the ball up and getting us up field without having to hoof it. janmaat was a bit of a let down but hopefully just a one off as hes been pretty consistant this season. gonna be in toon from Friday on my stag so cant wait for the derby atmosphere now!!! HWTL

• 53 Rotonda heights // Oct 19, 2015 at 12:38 PM

toonking

really hope you don’t want palace to win just to make a point. sounds suspiciously like it.

• 54 Rotonda heights // Oct 19, 2015 at 12:39 PM

slank

yeah cos cabaye and debuchy etc are still here aren’t they.

• 55 Rotonda heights // Oct 19, 2015 at 12:41 PM

welsh stick to the sheep and leave toonking’s r—g p—-e alone

• 56 ilovetoon8788 // Oct 19, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Arfa with another solo goal? Great.

But I prefer this bunch who assists one another.

• 57 Mister Tuff // Oct 19, 2015 at 12:50 PM

martoon – which crown is that -blog pest or gaffe meister.
    his latest gaffe – and what a gaffe,was that the true Supermac (Malcolm Macdonald and not bloody Wally) converted to fullback at Tonbridge Angels – not true as Fulham later signed him as a fulback.

• 58 Mister Tuff // Oct 19, 2015 at 1:06 PM

error – converted FROM fullback

• 59 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Rotonda heights

Nice to see that you are in a good mood today.

• 60 the broons // Oct 19, 2015 at 1:11 PM

martoon

to be honest with you a modern day professional will realise the job he has to do. But I just feel like at times we look like world beaters but then make the simplist of mistakes and get punished because of it.

And i’ve heard a few people mentioning the possible return of the entertainers. Don’t kid yourselves, it was against Norwich and it was only 1 game. What we need is consistency and couple of defenders brought in january ASAP.

• 61 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 19, 2015 at 1:20 PM

Catchy @ 3.

that is a brilliant post, cant find a flaw in it, at all…

well done 🙂

• 62 LGFUAD21 // Oct 19, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Yesterdays match was great entertainment but Schteeve will have to make some changes for the Derby.

We havent got any balance between defence and attack and we cant protect our back four.

Our wings are horribly exposed as well.

• 63 LGFUAD21 // Oct 19, 2015 at 1:37 PM

52Shearer.Milburn

Aye in this game it paid off but we wouldve been slaughtered by better opposition.

You could see so many times that Janmaat needed an extra body. Janmaat’s positioning isnt always the best but there were also times where he was cuahgt in two minds because it was 2 on 1.

• 64 martoon // Oct 19, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Tuff @57 – His third crown of Google Meister. 😉
    I have to say from memory (and not using Goggle) I thought it was Fulham where he started playing as a striker. We bought him from Luton but I’m not sure if he played for any other clubs in between.

As a young lad I learnt the fickleness of football supporters when we played Luton in a cup tie and Supermac had a poor game to the cries of “Supermac’s playing for Luton” A good example of hero to zero 🙂

• 65 Jail for Ashley // Oct 19, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Slank,
    Steve McLaren on Sissoko
    ““He wants to be a top four player and he will be if he performs like that.”
    Do you think he meant if he keeps playing like that we’ll be soon competing in the Champions League ?

• 66 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 19, 2015 at 2:26 PM

The question is this. We all want to see improvement. Who from the starting 11 is the first player you would like to see moved on and replaced with a big money signing? It’s a no brainer for me.

• 67 davis_toons // Oct 19, 2015 at 2:34 PM

I wont be worried about Perez.

He will improve and at the end of the day if he is ambition enough he would want to represent his country Spain or get back home with a Bigger club there..

MA just got try his best to keep his words.

• 68 Owldman // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Why is it every time a Toon player shows promise like Perez they are linked with either Spurs , Man U or Liverpool.agents talking to agents ? .About time these money grabbing morons were kicked out of the game.

previous post: Our Man Of The Match Is Fast Becoming The Talk Of The Toon