The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Sherwood Finds Inpiration From Former Newcastle Manager

8:42 pm, Monday, October 19th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 59 Comments

Tim Sherwood is fighting for his survival at Aston Villa, after he only took them over in mid-February and signed a contract with the club until the summer 2018 – so he still has just less than three years to run.

But Aston Villa are now second bottom and below Newcastle in the league table after we beat Norwich City yesterday and Villa went down 2-0 at Chelsea and they have only 4 points from the first 9 league games.

That’s almost as surprising as Newcastle having only 6 points from 9 games – we thought Tim would do well this season.

tim sherwood 1_3476104b

Tim Sherwood – Aston Villa manager

Tim is supposed to be in trouble if they lose their next game at home to Swansea on Saturday, with former Everton and Manchester United boss Davide Moyes waiting in the wings – but Moyes is still at Real Sociedad.

Sociedad are not doing too well and they lost 2-0 at home to Atletico Madrid over the weekend and are in 16th place in the Spanish League with just 6 points from 8 games and are above the relegation zone only because of goal difference – above Malaga and Levante.

Here’s what Tim Sherwood has said today:

“If the players want inspiration then they can look at me, I don’t want them running into the corner and crying, because it should be me doing that and I’m not going to.”

“I realise I’m a football manager who needs to win football matches, what we have to remember is me and them supporters are on the same side.”

“I can take a lot of inspiration from people like Alan Pardew, who was screamed out-of-town in Newcastle and look at him now.” “I can only control what I can do and I remain confident in that.”

“I want to go out on the front foot and, if I die, I die on my sword.” “Why do we need to be more pragmatic? I would never be pragmatic. I’ve done it a few times but I don’t like myself for it.”

There were big protests by a group of fans at Newcastle when we had only 4 points from our first seven games last season, but then we went on a six game winning streak and after that we were 5th top of the league after 12 games.

But Alan had had enough of all the demonstrating against him and he left when he got the opportunity at Crystal Palace where he was already a hero because of his escapades in scoring the winning goal against Liverpool in the FA Cup semi-final in 1990.

John Carver took over at Newcastle in January and he was simply hopeless and we were almost relegated on the last day of the season but survived with a 2-0 win against West Ham.

Be careful for what you wish for.

Although Palace were beaten 3-1 at home to West Ham on Saturday when they had Dwight Gayle sent off in the first half – they are still 6th top of the league – so Pardew has done very well since he left Newcastle.

And Pardew remains the only Newcastle manager who has ever won the Premier League Manager of the Season and the LMA Manager of the Season which he won back in May, 2012 in his first full season in charge when we finished 5th top and only just missed out on a Champions League place.

It will be a surprise if Tim gets fired, but he has to start winning – just like Steve McClaren did yesterday.

What do you think?

Tags: Coaching · Management · Newcastle News · Premier League

59 responses so far ↓

• 1 SUTTY1978 // Oct 19, 2015 at 8:46 PM

SUTTY1978 // Oct 19, 2015 at 8:45 PM

We’re playing a flat 442 so both midfielders have to offer something going forward and back. We just done really have anyone particularly capable of doing either, although Colback is probably the closest.
    Actually prefer him playing in a 442 as he doesn’t try and do as much defensively. This may sound like a stupid comment but a lot of the large gaps in front of the CB’s are caused by him chasing round after the ball and leaving space. Sometimes less is more.

• 2 SUTTY1978 // Oct 19, 2015 at 8:51 PM

C’mon there’s a bit missing from this article. The fans didnt protest because of 4 points from the first seven games, it was that in conjunction with us being absolutely shit from January to the end of the previous season. Basically 10 months of us being crap. I think thats more than enough for any fans with any manager.
    Who would have guessed that 2014 would be replicated in 2015.

• 3 will die for the toon army // Oct 19, 2015 at 8:59 PM

Even if Pardew wld work for free, I wld never want him back at toon. Guy is a clown.

• 4 will die for the toon army // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:03 PM

Mcca pliz make Thauvin work. so we can have a balanced team

Janmatt…..Mbemba. …….Colo……Dummett

• 5 SUTTY1978 // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:04 PM

Will Die,why would you want to move Wijnaldum from the left wing? It’s a role that suits him, he & Sissoko are effectively given free reign going forward and he can drift into the box undetected.
    He’s looked more comfortable and has been far more productive playing there than in the middle.

• 6 will die for the toon army // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:07 PM

You are right but if Mcca can get the best out of Aaarons or Thauvin we wld get more threat going forward I will rather lose Anita or Tiote for one of those.

• 7 toonking // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:08 PM

if your not already with your wind up friend welsh

our toon tells me yesterday to go and support palace, i’m thinking myself why not change who I support, I watch soccer special each week, I try coming onto the blog each week but each and every week i”v got nothing but bad things, I’m not even that excited when soccer special starts.

I use to enjoy F1(not football) but got sick and fed up of watching a driver just going round and round, it not even about the driver it’s how decent the car will be.

Ashley has drained NEARLY all of my spirit about newcastle and the state of football itself with fifa, TV deals and wages and transfer sizes show football to be getting greedier every year.

Might as well turn my attention to CRICKET (another sport I already enjoy) and durham.

• 8 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:15 PM

Good effort shelvey.

• 9 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:17 PM

Should have started with ki and sigurdsson.

• 10 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:18 PM

It was a shame Pardew left, wouldn’t you agree.

• 11 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:19 PM

Never mind cricket toonking, how about full contact tiddlywinks.

• 12 Toonfan8 // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:22 PM

we need CM and CB at least at january…Granit Xhaka would be ideal signing, but I dont know if he want to come here and powerfull CB like Vestegaard…

• 13 catchy in norway // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:22 PM

laughing my tittts off. if he is using P45 as his poster boy inspiration, no wonder villa are in such a mess

• 14 Toonfan8 // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:27 PM

Xhaka, Nainggolan fit the bill for our next CM…we need power and good passing there

• 15 SUTTY1978 // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:32 PM

Sherwoods only positive is in motivating the players, he has zero tactical nous. Now he’s lost the ability to gee up the players he has nothing to offer. Would seem strange though to sack him and replace him with a manager who is doing equally as badly in a different country. That’s almost Toonesq!

• 16 SUTTY1978 // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Granit Xhaka would be a good signing because he has a cool name.

• 17 jane // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:43 PM

Villa would have done better to stick with Paul Lambert.

• 18 catchy in norway // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Listen guys , Sherwood is basically saying , Pardew was being forced out but hung on in for a payday or he choses to go to a new club, right now he holds all the cards, all managers do, esp with these crazy contracts they sign , I think he is on around 3 mil a season , makes you sick

• 19 Tsunki // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:51 PM

Pardew’s beer buddy saying his mate was screamed out of town? How about a couple of million quid baled out of town, you useless clown.

Got to admire,Ed using every waking opportunity to have a swipe at Carver again and of course the heinous reprehensibles of the sackpardew mob/crew/rabble/crowd/shower/gathering/horde/neanderthals….

• 20 Jail for Ashley // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:53 PM

Get in Stoooooke, you beauties, they kicked Swanseas butts, tonight should have been 0-5 whoop whoop yeessssssss !!!!!!!

• 21 jane // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:56 PM

“Tim is supposed to be in trouble if they lose their next game at home to Swansea on Saturday”

understandable 😉

• 22 Tsunki // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Great win against the mighty swans. It’ll be a bit quiet in the Welshie Hut this week what with rugger an’ all 🙂

it’s already pretty silent in Munster Mansion after the Irish Proper Steel display too 😀

• 23 beefman13 // Oct 19, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Sissoko was the best player in the Premiership yesterday imo, his attacking the space in front if him was pretty awesome, he has great qualities a terrific physical presence, and looked every bit a champions league player to me YESTERDAY.

This is our problem in a way. This player and others have made us laughing stocks in a lot of ways this and last season, what goes on in their heads when they can produce displays of this standard and other weeks look lily livered like Sissoko has to me many times, it’s a big conundrum we have, I still don’t think the hard working colback n Anita are the answer in central midfield, it was wiji Sissoko n Perez who made this game for us and Mitro pitched in, these lads stood out made things happen, Norwich had quite a few chances, we are still to easy ti slice through, this winter window could be crucial if we can get a real top central midfielder we could start to really have a go, our wide men must back up the defenders and that midfield needs to be hard as a diamond.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:01 PM

I think Swansea will go down this season, they were a one season wonder and now the games up, they’re a family club that belong in the fourth division

• 25 Tsunki // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:05 PM

• 26 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:06 PM

Regarding rugby its been quiet for you lot since the tournament started, lol, and how you and that muppet who calls himself jail take the piss out of swans, correct me if I’m wrong the last time Newcastle beat swans cisse scored two awesome goals, how many years ago was that.

• 27 Tsunki // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:06 PM

:D. 😀

• 28 Toon Tang // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:07 PM

No wonder wor timothy is struggling if Pards is his main insparation hahaha set your sight a bit sharper Tim lad

• 29 Jib // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:07 PM

Tsunki is a pretty horrible piece of kit.
    I bet he loves Piers Morgan and has a Farage tattoo.

• 30 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:07 PM

One season wonder really, how many years have they have been in the premier league, goes to show jail you know sweet fa.

• 31 Jib // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:08 PM

Tsunki it was Ba you mongoloid

• 32 jimmysmith // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:09 PM

Janmatt……..Mbemba. …….Colo……Haidarra
    ………………De Jong………Mitrovic

I’d pick that team. We have very little genuine bite in the middle of the park or a player who can play a defence splitting pass or raking ball. We really do miss Cabayee. Perhaps a midfield three of Tiote, Widjnaldum and Dejong can give us more impetus there. Perez wide is not ideal, but he will track back and it would allow us to get De Jong in there.

I’m not at all sure it would work, but Anita and Colback do seem lacking as a DM pairing, despite being very tidy and industrious individually, and certainly good players, but they don’t appear to be a top eight proposition, and it’s an integral battle, the middle of the park.,

• 33 gaz 44 // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:11 PM

I think a lot are still underestimating what mcclaren is doing.. To change a team that’s used to long ball culture to slick passing takes time.. He’s inherited a team low on confidence and low on quality.. Certain players (sissoko, Anita, collo. Etc) seem to pick and choose games to perform.. If socks could play like that week in week out never mind wanting a champions league team he’d be in a championship winning team. Really turned on the beast mode, what’s betting next week when it matters he’s once again a passenger ..colback other than his attempt at a tiote pirouette was immense, he gets a lot of stick but most great teams have an average player scoring 7/10 in the papers week in week out which is exactly what this kid does.. Not optimistic for this season but looking forward to the following if we stick to this philosophy

• 34 SUTTY1978 // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:16 PM

He’s just like his bullshitter mate Pardew, all the talk of playing on the front foot just like Pardew but only 8 goals scored in 9 games, hardly living or dying by the sword are we Tim?
    Never heard someone with more misplaced self belief than this bloke. Tosser.

• 35 Mister Tuff // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:20 PM

toonking – all the money in football is causing the problems – if I remember correctly in Italy many years ago.
    Money corrupts people and it has without doubt corrupted most sport including football.
    They’ll all get their come uppance. then we can all have a laugh at them when they protest their innocence but later go down the pan for a few years holidays.
    Scumbags like Jack Warner -when the Yanks get him back to New York he’ll sing like a canary – he’ll drop the lot in – Blatter, Valcke,Platini, Beckenbauer – all crooks milking the game for personal greed.

Please do not associate him that hides under a sheepskin rug with me. I have standards to maintain.

• 36 Jail for Ashley // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:20 PM

Thomas the tank engine will become the most popular thing in Wales again once the mighty Swansea go back to league two where they belong.

• 37 JamesToon // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:21 PM

I agree with that r.e McClaren. I think he’s finally found his strongest front 4.

Looked on fourfourtwo stats and from the heat map of the players it looked like we played 4-2-2-2, with Gini and Sissoko almost playing as midfielders between the lines. It worked a treat.

• 38 sparky55 // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:22 PM

If you play 4-4-2 or 4-4-1-1 you have to have wide players (in our case Wiuji and Sissoko) who can defend as well as attack. We saw yesterday they’re not good at that all the time but going forward both can be fantastic.

That was always our last managers problem with Ben Arfa and all the other wide men he tried…they were sh!te at defending which is why Gouffy ended up with so much pitch time…not because he was good going forward…but much better than most tracking back which in turn nullified out threat going forward therefore not scoring enough goals.

A wide midfielder who is both good going forward and good tracking back is a rare player indeed but most teams would rather have the threat going forward and rely on two good sitting middle of the park midfielders providing as much cover as they can whereas our last manager (and our current manager until now ) preferred lesser of a threat going forward and more defence minded wide players.

The secret for us is to have the right combo in the middle of the midfield four and retain the threat going forward with Winji and Sissoko.

Tiote as he was four years ago alongside Abeid would have been the best combo but tiote is finished now and Abeid has gone. We’re now left with Colback and Anita…not good and therein lies the problem for me.

Thauvin (if he improves) should be used an impact sub for either Sissoko or Winji or Perez because he’s rubbish at defending but allegedly good going forward and brilliant with corners and free kicks…but shown none of that to date except for against northampton hence he’s not starting.

…and we do of course need 2 good centre halves to replace Colo and Taylor…and the sooner the better

All IMO

• 39 Jail for Ashley // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:23 PM

@31, jibs been on the white lightning again, it wasn’t Tsunki or Ba, what a loser !

• 40 Tsunki // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Jeff WHAT was Ba? And by mongol old are you referring to Downs Syndrome? I hope not because it’s a tricky area for us to get into you ghoul.

• 41 SUTTY1978 // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Gaz, he tried to turn us into a possession based, pass it out from the back team who would keep it tight at the back. It failed spectacularly. I’ll give him credit in that he saw it didn’t work and has decided to change systems. Couldn’t tell you exactly what we play now but it’s been at least good having a bit more attacking intent on show.

• 42 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:26 PM

Be quiet jail, you are embarrassing yourself.

• 43 Jail for Ashley // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:26 PM

I think jeff in his haze of Special Brew thought you were welshie his old mate Tsunki !

• 44 Mister Tuff // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Just wondering whether munster is related to Herman Munster.

• 45 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:29 PM

Jail, you probably didn’t know where Wales is nevermind Swansea.

• 46 Tsunki // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Relax Welsh I’m just yanking your chain son ha ha got to laugh Thomas the Tank Engine that’s priceless though 🙂

• 47 goommy // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:35 PM

Never wanna see Pard as Newcastle manager ever again!!

• 48 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:35 PM

Ashley in
    Pardew in
    Welshgeordie in
    The True Geordie In
    Jail for Ashley out
    Mister Tuff aka Victor meldrew out
    Ladies wrestling in
    Comedians in
    Moaners out

• 49 Mister Tuff // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:39 PM

Oh dear I see Jib is scoffing at the disabled again. We’ve had lots of discussions on here about insulting disabled people and the use of words like mong/mogoloid.
    I think that there was a consensus, along with the rest of society that it was inexecusable/insulting/discriminatory to use such terms.
    Here we have the vile Jib doing it again. We probably know now why he hasn’t answered Blackleys repeated questions about Jonas’ disability claim – because he commits abuse against the disabled.
    How anybody wants to chat to a vile scumbag is beyond me.
    I suppose all those who complain about rubbish will be on expressing their concerns – like F*** they will – two faced hypocrites.

• 50 Tsunki // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Wales Out oh sorry they already are

• 51 jimmysmith // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:41 PM

I’dwith some regret get rid of Taylor before Colo. Despite being a good player, his poor fitness means Colo and Mbemba are essentially unchallenged.

Colo is exposed as much by the shortcomings of others than his own, it seems to me. I think keeping him was a decent call, he does plenty really well, but we need three top CB’s minimum challenging for two starting spots and the other on the bench, and Colo is still good enough to be one of those three, and would be more valued in a better side, I think. I know many will vigorously disagree of course.

• 52 Munster Mag // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Tsunki at least you said i was in a (munster) mansion. Not a hut like welshie as u said ! Ireland well beaten but thats life. At least we didnt make fools of ourselves like some English media commentators and ex players did by slagging off our opponents before we played them. And then get dumped out by that opponent. Delighted with toon and agree with plenty of stuff said on here by sparky, croftus, nezza and others. One swallow etc though….

• 53 welshgeordie9 // Oct 19, 2015 at 10:48 PM

We got to the Quarter Final and should be in the semi final, you couldn’t get out of the group stage.

Ha ha ha

• 54 jane // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:06 PM

because Krul was injured on international duty who pays his wages while he his injured? do Netherlands?

• 55 Tsunki // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:12 PM

Awww guys get some humour – after all you were asking us to submit to your ‘humour’ not long ago sheesh some people get sooooooo touchy….

• 56 Offkey // Oct 19, 2015 at 11:19 PM

Jibba the Hut
    Jib jab (like a dib dab but more perverse)
    No job jib

• 57 Thump // Oct 20, 2015 at 6:34 AM

Ah, revisionism again.

Lest we forget that he was offered a job with a former club and left be cause of that. Allegedly he wanted away before the protests even began! But no, the fans did it. Of course.

• 58 Thump // Oct 20, 2015 at 6:36 AM

@jane: we do, though I believe we get compensation from the international team.

• 59 Thump // Oct 20, 2015 at 6:40 AM

Actually, I’m wrong. The rules state that there is no compensation for qualifiers or friendlies, and the Dutch haven’t done that before (we received a payment from England when Owen found himself on the — gasp — physio bench). Apparently they just don’t take out the insurance.

previous post: The Really Surprising Thing About Gini Wijnaldum Yesterday