The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Pundit Optimistic On Newcastle – They Have Goals

11:10 pm, Tuesday, October 20th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 31 Comments

38 year-old former Liverpool and Fulham midfielder Danny Murphy is now a successful football pundit for the BBC, after he had a successful playing career and played nine times for England.

Newcastle have 4 points from our last three games against Chelsea, Manchester City and Norwich and that´s not a bad return from those three matches, even though we were hammered 6-1 at City – we played very well in the first half.

We’ve also scored 9 of our 12 leage goals in the last three games.

danny murphy

Danny Murphy – thinks Newcastle are improving

Our next game is at Sunderland which is always a difficult game especially over the last two and a half seasons when we have lost the lot – the first time we have ever lost five games on the trot to Sunderland.

Danny talked yesterday about the upcoming Tyne-Wear derby which take place on Sunday with an early noon-time kickoff:

“I would be much more optimistic as a Newcastle fan than a Sunderland one at the moment, not just because of the result yesterday.”

“The performances over the last couple of weeks – the first half against Manchester City, the game against Chelsea – they are showing signs that they can improve, they have got some goals in their team.'”

“You look at Sunderland and you think ‘where the goals are going to come from?'”

Sunderland are bottom on 3 points and we are 3rd bottom on 6 points – that´s after 9 games played.

If Newcastle lose at the Stadium of Light it will end some of the momentum we built up with our 6-2 home win over Norwich City.

But recent form doesn´t mean too much in these games and unless our lads turn up and are ready for a very tough game, we could even lose our 6th game in a row to the Black Cats.

We´re hoping for a Newcastle win which will keep up our recent momentum.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Sunderland?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

31 responses so far ↓

• 1 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:14 PM

We was a fret today.

• 2 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:15 PM

Was watching the keegan prog on sky5. Legend

• 3 angelswithdirtyfaces // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Where is Bigi is a bit like where’s Wally – except we can pick him out dead easy by his brolly…

• 4 conily // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:31 PM

for me the formation has to be a narrow 4 3 1 2 as we have no wingers of any quality.
    my team for sunderland would be
    janmatt mbemba colo dummet
    —-sissoko tiote anita
    ———mitro perez

• 5 jimmysmith // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:46 PM

It’s not a laughable notion that De Jong can’t get a game because of the quality in the squad. We have loads of quality attacking options.

Our problems are elsewhere, and also largely to do with confidence and motivation. We don’t have a duff squad at all, and if we can instil some steel and self belief into the side, which will come with a few results, and get Tiote and De Jong firing as they are more than capable, and perhaps two decent January signings, we will be a comfortable top half proposition.

But of course Newcastle under Ashley have all too often been close to being something good without doing enough to realise it. But this time is apparently different, which of course remains to be seen.

• 6 ilovetoon8788 // Oct 21, 2015 at 1:12 AM

De jong is just not good enough. He has looked very slow and lethargic. I think he’s a poor signing and he’ll be shipped out in January or end of this season.

• 7 Santon03 // Oct 21, 2015 at 4:49 AM

SDJ has been injured too long and too many times, if he can stay fit then he will get his chance.
    I think he will be good player for us, he only played 10 minutes. His competitions are doing really well atm but his chance will come. Same goes for Thauvin, he just need to settle first.

• 8 Santon03 // Oct 21, 2015 at 4:56 AM

SDJ and Gini are same type of players. SDJ for Ajax and Gini for PSV, both were captains. I don’t believe SDJ is not good enough for this team, Gini have better start and adjust quicker than SDJ. Both are good players, that’s why they were captains.

• 9 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 21, 2015 at 6:12 AM

I don’t necessarily believe Gini and Siem will play in the same position!

Right now Gini is on the left and you would play Siem there. At PSV Gini played most of the games from CM and with the right philosophy and approach Siem and Gini will fit just fine together.

Personally I think what we are seeing has more to do with what I wrote yesterday!

• 10 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 21, 2015 at 6:13 AM

• 11 SUTTY1978 // Oct 21, 2015 at 6:16 AM

SDJ has played central midfield previously, not just at no.10, there must be something wrong with him or surely he would have started there against Man City ahead of Gouffy. If there is any one in our squad capable of picking a pass it’s Siem so he may be able to fulfil that deep lying playmaker role.

• 12 Ron Knee // Oct 21, 2015 at 6:22 AM

Hibbitt posted yesterday that SDJ wouldn’t be fit until January.

• 13 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 21, 2015 at 6:40 AM

I still think SDJ has the ability to play for us, but with Perez and Mitro combining well then I think he is going to struggle for now. To keep that pairing together you’d have to bring SDJ into the centre of midfield, and have him pull the strings, but unless we have a top and on form defensive midfielder there with him I don’t think he has the energy to help shield our defence.

• 14 Toonfan8 // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:05 AM

SDJ is different player than GW…SDJ has better passing and football brain, but GW is quicker, has better off the ball movement and is better dribbler…but in fact now I cant see place in the team for SDJ, but I believe he will come good. But we need in january CB and CM – defensive…we need some steel and power

• 15 firebug666 // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:10 AM

Aye apparently SDJ is doing extra conditioning training, coming in an hour before the others. I still think he has a lot to offer the team once he gets back up to speed.

The problem will be where to play him; Mitrovic and Perez seem to have a good partnership developing, and it looks like Wijnaldum and Sissoko have the wings, so maybe he will fight for a place in the centre along with Tiote, Colback and Anita.

If Tiote could get back to his best we could have a formidable midfield.

Sissoko, SDJ, Tiote, Wijnaldum

Just my thoughts, as I cannot see anyone pushing Perez and Mitrovic out at the moment.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:17 AM

When people are saying he’s not fit enough to make it, is it his injury record or his actual physical fitness even when fully fit, surely he has the ability.

• 17 Jail for Ashley // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:18 AM

We also need a quality LB.

• 18 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:24 AM

You could basically train quicker for a marathon than it seems to take the club to bring Siem into play…

…he doesn’t have to play more than 45 mins but he to play to gain match fitness and strength. Players usually break down because of a lack thereof (or fatigue)

• 19 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:26 AM

I think his physical fitness is the issue. The injuries he has sustained will have caused those levels to drop significantly and I’d guess he is still struggling to recover match fitness wise.

• 20 Toonfan8 // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:27 AM

yes I agree with you, but for now Haidara/Dummet/Mbabu can do a job there…CB and CM are more acute fore me…but ideal LB would be Jetro Willems from PSV, is now injured, but last season he played 42 matches with 4 goals and 16 assists…Is small lad, but rapid…but we need a monster CB and monster DM…and then Willems would fit ideally here

• 21 Toonfan8 // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:31 AM

ideal players in january for me would be Matip,G.Xhaka and Willems…but that would be about 50M…so I just cant see MA splash that much in january…but this squad looks much improved with taller boys there

• 22 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:43 AM

I’d definitely like to see us go for Xhaka. Willems maybe, but a no for Matip. Haven’t seen any of him this season, but he loses his man easily, poor concentration and one of the biggest issues is he doesn’t organise his defence. I’d much prefer us to go after a more experienced centre half who can organise and lead the back line.

• 23 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:44 AM

Couple all that with in just over a years time both Matip and Mbemba would likely be heading off to AFCON, meaning we would need 2 very good back ups as well.

• 24 JamesToon // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:49 AM

I posted last night, my January wish list is Shawcross, Willems/Neil Taylor, Xhaka, Redmond

• 25 cyprus // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:50 AM

I haven’t seen SDJ play well once, but then the poor guy has had so many injuries.

IF he can’t get in by Jan., perhaps he should be released, and replaced, along with Taylor. These injuries can ruin a career. Our team is beginning to look good, but not quite our squad.

• 26 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Shawcross would be great, but I doubt we would pay what Stoke demand for him.

• 27 JamesToon // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:51 AM

Then if we’re still in the division come next summer I’d like to see us go for Callum Wilson of Bournemouth and either Victor Wanyama or Jonjo Shelvey (or they could be bought in January and then get Xhaka in the summer)

Don’t want these European “might be good” players like Thauvin, we need more of Wijnaldum calibre

• 28 JamesToon // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:53 AM

I think they’d demand a fee between 15-20million, which I think it would be worth it.

If there is still £100million left in the bank for the next two windows then it does need to be spent on top quality

• 29 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 21, 2015 at 7:56 AM

It would be worth it on the footballing side, but what sell on value is there? I don’t think our transfer policy has changed that dramatically unfortunately.

• 30 The Newcastle Armchair // Oct 21, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Unfortunately our top signing fee we will only ever be around players as much as Wini was (around £14.5m??)

Sadly, the Shawcross/Shelvey/Wanyama prices are around £10m more than that and that is territory where Ashley looks to sell his own players for.

• 31 catchy in norway // Oct 21, 2015 at 8:13 AM

Right now , I believe this could be the best season ever , and not because what is going on on Tyneside , I believe the guys down the road In red and white are in serious trouble, but what makes me think it’s going to be a good season is fat sham will take them down, he may have done better if he had a big CF at the club , but they have Defoe , sham doesn’t know how to use small players.

Sunderland are a poor squad, no doubt about it. Villa will sack Timothy and probably go for Moyes , big mistake , both are poor managers.

Relegated ,