The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

These Two Experienced Players Can Still Do Job For Newcastle

10:17 am, Tuesday, October 20th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 125 Comments

Cheick Tiote made a rare starting  appearance for Newcastle on Sunday and he immediately showed one of the poorer aspects of his game, when he picked up a yellow card after only 5 minutes.

Cheick picks up far too many yellow cards with lunging tackles and that´s what happened early in the game on Sunday.

Cheick Tiote Northampton+O1L-zgvytzAl

Cheick Tiote – can do a job for Newcastle this season

But the 53 times capped Ivory Coast International can still do a big job for Newcastle this term and he could start against Sunderland on Sunday even though he may be given just one half.

McClaren could again  bring in Vurnon Anita  – and Vurnon had a solid game in place of the Ivorian in the second half – maybe that display  has earned the Dutchman a starting place in Sunday?

The Newcastle head coach is trying to get Cheick some playing time so he gets match fit.

This is what McClaren has said about Cheick:

“We are trying to get Cheick involved again because we think he can be a big player for us” “He wasn’t going to last the game – it was his first game, he’s trained for two weeks.”

“We just felt we need to start him – his energy is quite infectious – and we knew he wouldn’t last and we just brought Vurnon Anita on for a bit more stability.”

“But it’s good that Cheick gets 45 minutes and he’s involved again.”

With our poor defense maybe Cheick can help to add some steel in the center – and as Steve says – he does provide energy as he plays just in front of the back four.

We´ll just have to wait and see if he can form a decent partnership in central midfield with local lad Jack Colback.

So it would be good to see Cheick make his mark for the team this season and another experienced player we have – Papiss Cisse – looked lively enough when he was brought on for the last few minutes on Sunday.

papiss cisse celebrates

Papiss Cisse – can also do a job for Newcastle this season

Papiss Cisse holds the best ever goal scoring run at Newcastle – 13 goals in hist first 14 games when he joined us in January 2012 from SC Freiburg for around £9M.

And he showed last season, when he was hardly fully fit with that knee problem, that he could still score goals from the bench.

Now Papiss is fully fit so there´s no reason why he cannot do that for us this season too.

Here are two experienced players who can still help Newcastle this season big time.

What do you think?

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Coaching · Newcastle News · Papiss Cisse · Premier League

125 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 10:20 AM

If he hadn’t of been lied to and messed around he could have been a big player this last two years.

• 2 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 20, 2015 at 10:35 AM

I’d rather have these two in the squad and on the bench. Can’t have enough experience so long as they stay fit.

• 3 Ibizatoon // Oct 20, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Lost a day and a bit, so only managed to watch the game last night.

I had checked the score Sunday evening, but assumed I must be a bit worse for wear after reading we had won 6-2.

At last! Hopefully it’ll give everyone a much needed lift. I’m still far from convinced with our set up, but some decent attacking intent during the game gives me hope.

Time for the mackems.

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 10:44 AM

Ibiza,
    I haven’t looked forward to a derby match as much as this one for two years now, I wonder what the mentality of the dressing room was to achieve something that hadn’t been done in the clubs history, it makes you wonder if it was almost deliberate.

• 5 Ibizatoon // Oct 20, 2015 at 10:53 AM

Jail…Losing so many times againt the mackems to make club history? 🙂

Well, I suppose if you can’t break good records…

Hopefully a chance to put things right this weekend. We do have a knack of giving them a helping hand when they need it most though.

Rome may not have been built in a day, but a day is long enough to give the unwashed a good old spanking.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Ibiza,
    Off topic, do you use the Duo Lingo app and website for learning Spanish, it’s really good and it’s a free service as well, I’ve gained 52% fluency, it reckons !

• 7 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:07 AM

As many will know now I’m not a fan of McClaren and also running my own business funny enough in Derby I have employees who are all practical Derby fans and when the pre season started I knew a bit of McClaren style on what he brought in when at Derby.

My employees have told me months ago that McClaren will work on the creative and attacking side of things first to see how it results, they also say he will try different formations to see what benefits more in attacking, then he sets up a defensive approach to games but gives players a chance to approach this method, but in the meantime could sacrifice a few games to test the ability of the formation and players.

When McClaren came out and said the other games are basically pre season games maybe my employees where right in his methods.

Think about it Swansea, Watford, SW, was a more defensive approach whilst against the bigger teams we were more attacking.

Against Norwich we were creative and attacking and even though our defence is still weak even with a week training on defence McClaren knows now on what to improve, what players ability is the strongest and weakest and who to get in January.

Patience though is what we need.

They also stated that he plays a possession style formation with quick creative players on the wings which lead to strikers and wingers being the attacking outlook and getting goals which we seen against Norwich with both strikers scoring and Winaldum getting 4 from the wings.

• 8 Ian Toon // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:08 AM

16Ian Toon // Oct 20, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Jail- Oh I see! In your befuddled mind after our first win you think it a good time to now link me with Sack Llambias. Your really not very good at inventing,
    making up stories- it can’t be to entertain, to fantasise, escaping from reality, dissembling, adopting one persona to conceal another. Your a cretin and only fellow befuddled mates of yours would buy your constant regurgitation of such drivel – you must have had an unhappy childhood, that you need to constantly relieve it.
    A further reflection, is that in my absence from the blog your about to start a further campaign. Maybe the appearance of Llambias or do you have more personas to unleash?

Just stop the puerile games and fantasy – just get on with life in the real world.
    I bare you no malice.
    I have only ever posted as Ian Toon – as Ed has verified.
    HWTL.

• 9 Ibizatoon // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:08 AM

Jail…I don’t, but shall take a look. Sounds good.

• 10 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:10 AM

said this when we signed him and got ridiculed and retweeted and all kinds of abuse, but when Newcastle signed Wijnaldum they signed the best player in Holland including Depay! I don’t think he’s even 100% adapted to the Premier League yet either!

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Ibiza,
    It’s really good and perfect if you’re getting to practice everyday.

• 12 Ibizatoon // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Jail…Just taking a look now, looks good. Thanks.

• 13 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:13 AM

Sadly i’m still in bed trying to recover but was it worth the pain? Every bit of it. 😉 It wasn’t just the result, it was the manner. Some lovely football, zipping the ball around and more movement than i’ve seen in a full game all season. What about Mitrovic’s reversed nutmeg? And his goal was so much like a Shearer goal I thought I’d slipped time. This was the run of games I said would lift us up the table, so I hope I’m not wrong. Can’t wait for next weekend now. Wonder if we can empty their ground before half time, or just after. Mitrovic is going to scare them to death and whilst he does, Perez or Wijnaldum will take advantage of space he creates. Usually nervy about this one, but not this time. 😉

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:15 AM

De Nada

• 15 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:16 AM

@Nezza – I live nearish derby and am surrounded by Rams fans when I’m not away with work. They all said pretty much the same. They all said at times he played amazing football at Derby but it all depended on when the Big striker was on the pitch. (chris martin)
    When martin was Injured there form fell apart.
    Think we’ll see this with Mitrovic. Against Norwich he was occupying 2 opposition players most of the time. created a lot of space in the hole for Wijnaldum and Perez to run in to. I think in time if he gets some fitness this will suit De Jong too but I do worry there is no like for like replacement for Mitrovic should he get bans or injuries.
    I think in 2016 (jan and summer)we need a back up striker to Mitrovic aswell as a midfield destroyer, a CB and possibly a left back. If they spend another 50m next year on these 4 players and don’t let anyone leave we’ll have a very very strong side.

• 16 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Jayphoto

Aye mate, but maybe he’s looking at SDJ to maybe play that role if Mitrovic gets the ban or injured?

Or maybe even Riv, even though he’s smaller than Mitrovic but he’s quite strong and fast and could hold up the ball at times.

• 17 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Might be wrong but I’ve not seen any threads on this but it’s interesting.
    Remy Cabella faces being sent back to Newcastle as he’s played 10 games for Marseille and they have to buy him after 12 appearances. His form has been absolutely woeful and the transfer fee and wages would take up most of cash strapped Marseille’s budget. Journos and pundits close to Marseille are saying there is no way they will want to buy Cabella full time and want to remove the obligatory purchase from the loan but it’s thought Newcastle won’t entertain the suggestion.
    Anyone seen him this season?? geez, did Carver and Pardew break him?
    On another (can of worms) note, anyone seen Benny?? Goddamn that boy has all the ability in the world. Doesn’t have to defend at all at Nice, he only moves when he;s got the ball like and he’s still not showing much intelligence in in-game decision making but wow his technical ability is out of this world.

• 18 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:23 AM

I think McClaren still has Bas dose on his radar are someone similar?

• 19 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:27 AM

@Nezza – I wouldn’t be adversed to them just buying Chris Martin as a back up. Reckon he’d do a job in the premier league, he’s tricky for defenders to play against and his work rate is superb.
    Failing that, Andy Carroll coming on in the 75min for Mitrovic wouldn’t be the worst sight (risks AC article by ed tho)

• 20 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Jayphoto

Haven’t seen him play but Cabella and Thuavin on the bench could prove useful with our squad now, both players are quick and could cause a nightmare for fullbacks with tired legs?

With HBA I think we all knew what he was capable of but Pardew wanted him to defend more meaning less in attacking transition.

• 21 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:28 AM

I can’t wait to see Mitrovic link up with Arma when he returns from loans. He’ll create space for Arma to capitalise on, which is his strengths – zipping through the channels. The kid’s just a goal machine and with defences concentrating on the big fella, he’ll score for fun. Especially as we now have players who can pick the pass into the channels. We have a young team that will mature together and when they do, we’ll scare teams to death. It will take time, but the future is looking very rosy.

• 22 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:31 AM

Jayphoto

He might have Chris and Hughes on his radar atm.

But it might be that Gouffran, Cisse and Riv will have to move on but in a way it could be better for us.

Perez, Armstrong ……… Chris or Similar, Mitrovic

Could be what he’s looking for?

• 23 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:31 AM

@nezza – honestly in france, Cabella looks is playing every week the way Thauvin played against Sheffield Wednesday! Can hardly pass a ball 5 yards… hes doing more of those stepovers that fool nobody too. Honestly can’t believe its the same player that played for Montpellier?
    Theres rumours that theres stuff going on in his head/personal life, just looks a broken player!
    Reckon McClaren has done right by Thauvin, taken him out of the firing line, let him work on his strength, learn some English, settle in the area etc. Bit surprised not to see him come on in the Norwich game when we were 5/6-2 up though

• 24 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Please, please, please tell me what our captain was doing for Norwich’s first goal. He should be charged £50 for having the best seat in the house and sitting back with his hands behind his head and his feet up. This man troubles me greatly. Your centre back and captain needs to have a large, strong physical presence and dominant character. You’ve got to ask yourself why our defence is one of the worst in Europe.

• 25 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:33 AM

Bobbybee

Hell yeah mate, it could happen in January when we bring Armstrong and ship out the deadwood.

• 26 Slank // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:33 AM

BobbyBee

And where would you play Perez if Armstrong is the No 10 ?

• 27 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:35 AM

@Nezza – yeah Martins in good form aswell this season, got 7 or 8 already I think. At 26, and with the success Ings, Austin, vardy and fleetingly the Bournemouth lad had coming from lower leagues I’ll be surprised if no one takes a chance on him! He’s looked ok at international level too (though Scotlands style is hard for an attacking player as they concede most of the ball and focus on running around a lot)

• 28 beefman13 // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Tiote had a few decent seasons for us, he has got to move on imo, he was becoming a liability for us before his injuries??? That central midfield area is so important, Tiote has had time, hes been getting well paid to long for doing squat, see ya.

• 29 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:40 AM

At Blackley – got to agree, Coloccini is playing terrible. He doesn’t organise enough for me either and now he hasn’t got Tim Krul behind him. Krul used to organise the defence ( or at least shout directions) a lot more than Elliot does.
    I suspect had Taylor been fit then his place would have been more under threat. I think McClaren probably realises Willo is counter productive in the sense that his lack of composure and technical skills harm us going forward and Lascelles is nowhere near ready for the premier league.
    Not sure when Taylors back, but with all the prozone stats, analysis experts etc the club pay for, there is no way McClaren doesn’t see hes under performing.
    Similarly I find Janmaat quite troubling defensively. Rarely gets out quick enough to close the cross down! We have 2 short centrebacks, they need to work more on stopping the delivery from wide!

• 30 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM

My Aunty Eunice is in her mid seventies and can’t walk very far after a back operation. I reckon she could worry Colo if she was allowed to take a walking frame and hand bag onto the field of play. She could swing her hand bag to make him flinch and buy herself a few seconds to position her frame. Does the rule book make mention of walking frames and hand bags, Jib?

• 31 will die for the toon army // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM

It looks like we have our first team:
    …………………….Elliott
    Janmmatt…..Mbemba……Colo…….Dummett
    Sissoko. ….Tiote…….Colback………Wijnaldum
    ………………..Perez…………Mitrovic

Back up:
    ………………………..Darlow
    Mbabu……Taylor. ……..Lasceles……..Haidara
    Thauvin……..De Jong……..Anita. …….Aarons
    …………………..Rivere………….Cisse

• 32 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Jayphoto

True mate, but we know McClaren wants rotation players incase of injuries, he should know now that Sissoko and Winaldum on the wings are probably going to be 1st team starters now with Cabella, Thuavin and Aarons fighting for places or maybe send 1 of the 3 out on loan till end of season and ship out Obertan.

• 33 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:42 AM

Maybe McClaren has looked at the curse of newcastles defence, seen that many a manager has fallen on his sword trying to fix it and thought, sod it, we’ll just have to score 6 every game ala Keegan….
    I can handle Coloccini if we score 6 each week

• 34 hibbitt // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:43 AM

the last thing we need to do is bring arma back to sit on the bench let the kid play learn his trade gain the experience when he does come back he we will be a better player with a season in the championship under his belt

• 35 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM

It’s funny how our best wingers are a CM and a AMC lol

Jayphoto

No doubt McClaren will have eyes on Martin if he’s still in form but it rather depends if Martins wants to be second fiddle to Mitrovic though?

• 36 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:46 AM

@Nezza – I actually don’t think it’ll work out for Aarons here. Not sure why, because I like what I’ve seen and heard. His situation, and him actually reminds me a lot of David Hoilett jr at Blackburn! Great young talent, electric pace, showed flashes, got a big time agent, ran his contract down at Blackburn, asked for silly money and ignored clubs that would develop his talent to take the money at QPR and now languishes on the bench in the championship.
    Really hoping that doesn’t happen with Aarons, I don’t get the impression the coaching staff have been impressed with him all that much though

• 37 will die for the toon army // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:48 AM

When Cisse leaves in Jan, I think we will get either Lassoga or Austin.

For those calling for Armstrong, I wld keep him on loan for the next 2 yrs and also send him to Championship. We have Rivere use him as back up for Perez. All we need is back up for Mitrovic who can do exactly as what he does.

Carroll or Lassoga for me.

• 38 nut meg // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Jay
    I seen about 10 minutes of the Marseille game online.Just in time to see Cabella have a shot saved.He then provided a good chance for Alessandrini who skewed it well wide,he seemed to be involved in most of the moves that I seen. I have no idea about his overall form.

• 39 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:49 AM

Slank, he can play midfield out wide. The point being that Arma is the best finisher we’ve got on our books mate, by a distance. Forget his cameos under Pardew and Carver, when long balls were sent towards him and his six foot plus markers – he was truly wasted. U18’s, U21’s, England Youth and now Coventry, when he gets the right service, he scores for fun. It might be a lower level, but check out the quality of the goals – they’d grace any league. I love Perez, but a finisher isn’t his strongest point. I’ve personally watched this lad grow through the academy, U21’s and England youth and imo he’s the most natural striker since Shearer. He’s still only 18 and his loan record alone is something like 8/9 already. There’ll be a place for Perez, but Arma will walk into our team when he returns and then sparks will fly.

• 40 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:51 AM

Jayphoto

Could be on to something there mate, Aarons would probably be sent out on loan coming January to develop him more like Armstrong.

Could work out to be another Ginola in the coming years with the right guidance and experience.

• 41 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:53 AM

I thought the plan was Arma played league 1 till Janurary and then stepped up and played championship till the summer?
    If the club do decide to look at an Austin, Rhodes, Martin etc from the championship it’ll be interesting to see if the loan of Armstrong gets included as a sweetener?
    Credit to whoever decided to send him to Coventry! Mowbray plays all out attack, great for a young striker, he gets ample opportunity’s per match! Seems he’s really progressing!
    I’d personally move him on to Burnley, Derby, Boro or possibly QPR in jan depending on if he’d start. All play on the floor attacking football. QPR’s Ramsey seems to be trying to shed the overpaid superstars and plays young lads and is trying to rectify the problems and mistakes of the past by developing young coachable players now!

• 42 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:53 AM

Will die, Arma will be in the England squad in two years, not on loan!

• 43 will die for the toon army // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:53 AM

if we stick with 4 4 2 and also keep Mitro and Perez. Armstrong will always b back up.

• 44 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:54 AM

Jayphoto
    I agree on Jamnut. Poor defensively and profligate with his final ball offensively.

I’m not sure how anyone knows how ready Lascelles is. But if he’s a good player for his age, he should be ready. He’ll never be a player without the experience. He’s already had 50 plus games in the Championship, I believe. He’ll make mistakes but Colo guarantees mistakes. At least Lascelles has the essential physical presence.

• 45 Rotonda heights // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Jail

I’ve been doing Duolingo Spanish for the last 18 months and am up to level 23 now, fluency level 57! Yes it’s pretty good, as are spanishwizardsdotcom, extra en espanyol (youtube) and lightspeedspanishdotcodotuk (youtube)

• 46 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Will die

Lassoga yes but Carroll?

His wages is far to high and Lee wouldn’t want to pay his valuation and wages.

Lassoga though would be fantastic here but again would he be second fiddle to Mitrovic?

• 47 Rotonda heights // Oct 20, 2015 at 11:56 AM

B&B

I still believe colo may have some currency as a sweeper behind MBemba and possibly lascelles

• 48 Mister Tuff // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:00 PM

Must be at least 2 -3 signings in January -wonder who is going to get binned to make room for the new boys. Certainly cannot see anybody wanting to buy Obertron. We might end up in a position where we cannot get shot of the duffers – hope this does not impact on prospective signings as there is no way any duffers will be removed from the squad and still get paid. Too tight to do that.

• 49 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:01 PM

@ Blackley – one thing i’ll say, from what I’ve seen at Forest, Lascelles is possibly the best defender in the air we’ve ever had at Newcastle! The guys a beast! He wasn’t too clever on the ground for Forest, I’m guessing they are working on that side of his game.

Another thing I saw at Forest is that Darlow is probably premier league ready. He’s not world class. I don’t think he will ever be world class. But he’s a solid 7/10 keeper, better than Elliott. Reminds me a lot of Steve Harper in keeping style and ability.

• 50 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Rotonda
    I’d be happy to see Colo sweep the dressing room at half time while giving the lads a little advice and encouragement.

• 51 will die for the toon army // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:03 PM

Nezza
    It will b according to where we will b in January.

Matip and Lassoga r coming to Toon. Competition for places is good and rotation of players which I think will work for Mcca.

For LB, with Haidara and Dummett ( a Geordie born) both 22 yrs old. Mcca will take his chances and besides they r not that bad. No money will be spent.

• 52 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:07 PM

I’m not sure how many of our fans have done what I have – followed the academy and U21’s by going to watch. Not every game, but I made a habit of going if Arma was playing and that was because how exciting he was to watch. I even went down to Derby for a youth cup game because he was playing. He scored the only goal by the way. When he was 16 I had a bet that he’d beat Charlton’s England record and I fully expect to collect on that bet. This kid is the real deal. The new Rooney if you must, but finishes better. And he’s ours. Don’t compare him with Campbell or any other lad with potential. Arma is a natural and when he comes home – next season – watch the goals flow.

• 53 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Will die

I’m a fan of Matip, I think him and Chancel would probably be the best pairing defenders in the Premier league.

• 54 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:08 PM

Jay
    We need someone who can compete physically with big centre forwards. Colo is too scared. He’s even scared of getting hit by the ball never mind a Lukaku. I’d like to think Mbemba could step up to take the lead defensive role. Ideally we’ll buy a quality beast in January but there’s still vital points to play for. The idea of Colo leading the team out next week worries me greatly.

• 55 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Will die

How much would you reckon Matip and Lassoga would cost?

• 56 will die for the toon army // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:12 PM

I think our new formation is 4-2-4.
    ……………………….Krul
    Janmmatt…….Mbemba……Matip…….Dummett
    ……………………..Tiote…………Colback
    …….Sissoko……………………………………Wijnaldum
    …………………….Perez…………Mitrovic

I believe Mcca will make Tiote into a beast again.

• 57 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Bobbybee
    I’ve been to see the 16s/18s to see Pearson, Gallagher and Spooner, whom I know from their boys club days. What do you make of Kenzie Heaney?

• 58 will die for the toon army // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Nezza

Both of them will cost btn 15m – 20m.

• 59 nut meg // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:16 PM

NezzaNUFC
    Have you seen much of Matip? Is he quick, can he jump,can he dominate,organise,is he captain material? Sorry for all the questions but I know very very little of him,your opinion of him would be appreciated.

• 60 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Bobbybee
    I remember seeing Chris Waddle on his home debut. He was gangling about and this bloke near me was shouting “get him off”. I just thought hang on, this kid is some player. Arma has never struck me like that. But centre forwards need the right service to shine. I hope you’re right.

• 61 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Will die

I only hope Lee sees the same valuation for both players and step out of paying 15 mill for Austin.

But we never know we could get Austin on a free next season lol

• 62 barkel // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:19 PM

will die:-

Would love to see Tiote back on form, the few games when he was captain he really took control of the mid-field.

Also is it your opinion that we’ll sign both of those players or is it nailed on? Should we take a trip to the bookies?

• 63 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:20 PM

How’s Sammy been doing, anyone?

• 64 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Nut meg

All of the above mate, he’s similar to Chancel in probably every way and is taller I think, leader on the back 4 for sure but he can be a bit to aggressive some times and likes to argue.

• 65 will die for the toon army // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:21 PM

If Mcca can turn De Jong into a Mitrovic back up then we dont need ti sign a new Striker but one standing block is that

Mittovic is 6″3 and De Jong is 6″1. De Jong is so weak but has better intelligent play.

• 66 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:24 PM

B&B, to be fair, MacKenzie Heaney isn’t a player I’ve looked at enough to give the lad a fair report mate. It’s getting so difficult for me now to get to first team games now that my academy/U21’s have had to take a back seat. I’m still in bed from Sundays game and had to go to the Norwich game in the wheelchair as far as the ground, then get up to level four. I’m in quite a mess right now and will need an operation soon.

• 67 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:25 PM

I think with Matip as well he can step into DM and CM role when required.

• 68 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:26 PM

@blackley – yeah to be honest theres every chance Mbemba is about 35 so can easily have enough experience to be the main centre back. 🙂
    Reckon Matip will probably be on the agenda again, hes playing fairly well this season, I’m guessing it all depends on who leaves out of him and Howedes but they have Nastasic and a young up and comer Friedrich competing so can see them accepting big money for one or the other.
    Reckon Lewis Dunk will be high up the list too. Think he’s showing he’s far too good for the championship this year.
    Quite like the Boro defender Daniel Ayala too, hes a really classy defender.

• 69 will die for the toon army // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:28 PM

barkel

Speculation jst but odds r on us favourites. We were going to buy either Matip or Abdennour but I think Mcca was scared of too many changes. and besidess Abdennour was too expensive. We have kept our interest in Matip.

For Lasago, he wld come if Cisse left first on loan then permanent but wats scares me now that he is onform.

• 70 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Jayphoto

I was just about to say Ayala from Boro could be a good shout lol

• 71 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:31 PM

Will die

I think Lassoga could be one of those players who would jump to a chance to play in the Premier league, but we would just have to wait and see.

• 72 nut meg // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Nezza
    Thanks for the info,just checked him on transfermarket and he’s 1.95m about 6′ 5″ sounds good to me.
    Bobby
    I hope you get sorted out soon, in the meantime keep your chin up bonny lad.

• 73 will die for the toon army // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:33 PM

We need an experienced starter at CB one who will bench Colo not championship players. Ayala and Dunk r good but I doubt they can start ahead of Colo.

• 74 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:33 PM

@nutmeg – Matip on paper is a perfect centre back. He’s a mountain. He’s quick. He’s as good on the ball as a midfielder. Very strong in the tackle etc. He reminds me a bit of the celtic lad Southampton signed.
    Hes got a bit of the titus bramble about him in the fact that he’s prone to a clanger. He’s quite bad at losing his man too, often gets caught out of position . His intelligence side of the game can be pretty poor, positioning can be suspect and he often takes needless, reckless chances.
    At Schalke he’s playing pretty well this year, but he plays alongside a great organiser in Howedes ( who we’d be better off signing in my opinion)
    Plus point is, all of Matips negatives are things he can learn with experience. Pretty sure his deal his running down and he’s holding schalke to ransom. Would guess he’s 100% going to be a premier league player next season as only Bayern could match PL wages and they’ve got top centre halfs from here to eternity

• 75 optimistic prime // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:34 PM

I saw the interview where Steeve said he’d be looking at players for Jan but where’s the Matip links etc coming from?

Do we have room in the squad?

More importantly can we jeteson some of the dead weight?

• 76 geordie157 // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Sammy’s best games at Cardiff are when he comes off the bench, he’s won them a few games doing that.

Will be interesting to see how gillesphey and gilliead develop at Carlisle, the manager likes both.

I do think if he’s fit that satka desperately needs a loan move. Sames applies for bigi.

• 77 bettyswallocks // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:34 PM

BobbyB…… Hope you mend well and soon. Arma does look very composed in front of goal and makes some clever runs. However he will need the right service and set up in the Pl as he wont have the space and time on the ball.

I think he could do what Perez is doing with Mitro as the hold up man, so if Perez does get sold we have a perfect replacement.

• 78 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Bobby, keep on truckin lad. Great to see Arma doing so well and i am watching him closely now. Not sure i agree that we have players to pick a pass now though. Sissoko cant do that consistently…neither can ginger Pirlo. Perez can , Wini probably can. We need to learn to defend better because that game could have gone differently but am still happy. I like to hear Woah talking about control….he seems to know what he wants. Carr needs to have his ego controlled and serve the manager and not his own french football philiosophy. That win will left heads hugely for the Makems game – a loss would have meant another loss at Sunderland i think – and then Woah wud have been in sacking territory. I am still not convinced about him but happy that he has won himself a good bit of time. Can you imagine beating the Mackems and Fat Sam ?? You will be dancing in the streets – Osteoporosis goodbye!! 🙂

• 79 geordie157 // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Anyone seen vestergaard play, 22 or 23, Danish international, six foot six. Could help us in both boxes .he lacks pace but so does colo.

• 80 Mag52 // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Jail.

Who was it that was lied to ? Tiote or Cisse ?

• 81 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Jail, who was lied to ? Cisse ?

• 82 NezzaNUFC // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:37 PM

What about that Brazilian lad Dede?

I’m surprised the top clubs have not grabbed him him yet.

I’m sure though that Chelsea and Man City have eyes on him atm.

• 83 optimistic prime // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:38 PM

On Cisse

Give him service into the box like there was on Sunday and he’d def do a job.

• 84 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:41 PM

I also recall Waddle’s debut and loved him straight away lol. It is hard for people who’ve only really seen his ridiculous cameos in our first team to understand why the lad excites me so much, but he thinks like a striker as well as scores like one. Just check out his goals for our undersides and for England’s youth, as well as his goals for Coventry this season. They alone show you how intelligent he is and what a natural scorer he is. When you get to our age, you kinda know who will or won’t make it, after so many years experience. I’m not making this judgement off one or two games mate, but about three years of hardly missing him play. Future England legend imo.

• 85 will die for the toon army // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:42 PM

My speculative squad for 2016/2017 season, not sure if it can take us to top 6.

GK: Krul, Darlow, Woodman
    RB: Janmatt, Mbabu
    LB: Dummett, Haidara
    CB: Matip, Mbemba, Colo, Lasceles
    CM: Tiote, Fer, Colback, Anita
    RM: Sissoko, Thauvin
    LM: Wijanaldum, Aarons
    CF: Mitrovic, Perez, Armstrong, Lasoga

Can those players take us top 6????

• 86 expatmag // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Evening TUFF

You got that kitchen finished yet???????

• 87 Slank // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:47 PM

BobbyBee @ 39

What happens to Gini or Sissoko if as you suggest Armstromg plays out wide in midfield ?

Armstrong is not the best finisher on the books at the club because (I think) he hasn’t scored a goal for the first team in the Premiership. To be fair he hasn’t started many, if any games. I’m sure someone will correct me if I am wrong.

He needs to spend more time in the lower leagues as many on here have said.

• 88 Mag52 // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Bobby.

Big article in yesterday’s paper about the value of a pill (methotrexate) taken once per week, to alleviate the joint pain caused by osteoporosis.
    It has been used by rheumatoid arthritis sufferers for a long time to reduce inflammation in the joints and ease pain, and recent information has come to light that
    Inflammation in the joint is a much bigger factor in the osteo form of the disease than previously thought.
    Trials are at present ongoing with hundreds of British patients suffering from osteoarthritis being recruited to find out if the early encouraging trials carried out have really hit on something.

• 89 Mag52 // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:55 PM

Munster.

We’re clearly on the same wavelength.

• 90 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Mag52, Munster,
    Tiote

• 91 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Thank you betty, fingers crossed but it ain’t looking good for postponing any operation until the season ends. 😉 Don’t worry about Arma getting space, he makes his own if he has to, but the way Mitrovic attracts defenders to him like a magnet, there’ll be space for Arma to exploit.
    Munster, thank you also for your thoughts. With one verterbrae completely crushed on the x ray, god knows what the full body scan will pick up! Just hope they can fix it and i can carry on going. Can’t imagine life without my football. When De Jong played with Arma for our U21’s they linked up wonderfully. Arma made the run and De Jong picked him out. Result? Goals. His first ten yards are electric and by the time they’ve caught up it’s too late – he’s already scored. 🙂 I bet he ‘s scored 20 goals before he moves on from Coventry in January. Every Championship team in the country will be begging for him.

• 92 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:14 PM

Slank, I agree he’s where he should be right now, banging in goals in a lower league. I didn’t say he was the best in our team, I said on our books. Watch his goals on youtube and tell me who scores better goals?
    Mag52, thanks for that mate, I ‘ll check it out. Trouble is, they don’t know exactly what’s wrong until i get this body scan, so it might not even be osteoporosis. I know one thing, it fooking hurts!! I’ve also got no kneecaps to contend with, so I ‘m a bit of a mess really! 🙂 I’m on morphine sulphate caps – 160mg a day sustained release. Oramorph and gabapentin to improve the morphine. (They work better combined so I’m told). Still can’t get out of bed on my own! The real worry for me is how long I can carry on going to the games. Not my long term health.

• 93 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:15 PM

Bobby, I’m not convinced De Jong is physically fit enough to make a real mark in the rush of english football

• 94 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:20 PM

Jail, what do u mean Tiote was lied to? Tiote is another faker when he wants to be . Remember how he played in the Liverpool slaughter? He looked like a pub player. I certainly am not counting on the likes of Tiote and Sissoko yet. We have to get a decent centre back and a midfielder with pace who can tackle and control the game a bit. This wont be easy in January. And if Cathro is in charge of defemsive training, Norwich wasnt a good exhibition of his training talents that we all hear about. fat Sam will have Sunderland dancing for him at the weekend and we wont have the space to run and pass like we did on Sunday. What a joy it wud be to beat him.

• 95 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:22 PM

Rotonda,
    That’s quite impressive, I’m not sure how their fluency gauge works though, I’m only on level 13 and have 52% fluency ?

• 96 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:24 PM

I wonder how insurance works for players that might be a bit suspect, a sympathetic doctor on Mashers payroll might be able to butter over a few unseen injuries !

• 97 Shadow_Shearer // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:25 PM

Not sure if many will agree with me, but I’d rather have tioti & anita start on Sunday rather than colback. Colback is gonna get booed every touch he gets, which is not gonna help our team. I would keep him on the bench as tioti is not gonna last 90 mins

• 98 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Munster,
    Imo, he was sold a dud, he came here on very low wages and was told by Llambias if he signed a long contract he would be allowed to leave if a bigger club came along, his agent asked for a buy out clause, Dirk said take it or leave and you’ll have to trust us on the move, he couldn’t refuse a long contract so signed up, when Chelsea came in for him with 18M pounds he thought he’d got the move he was promised, Dirk and Mashley held out for more making a bitterly disappointed and resentful Tiote.

• 99 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:29 PM

Munster,
    You probably don’t like him because ruiner of our once great club Graham Carr spotted him.

• 100 Mister Tuff // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:31 PM

expat – evening – I presume you are back in Oz now?
    Kitchen – not yet – washer packed in last week so had to get a new one. Now she wants a new towel radiator in the bathroom – so I’ll have that to plumb in when she gets back.
    My old trusty “everyday” laptop packed in last week – so I’m using another laptop with Ubuntu installed as the OS – it’s alright for a free OS.
    Might get a new OS disc -Windows to get my old laptop up and running again – it’s all fork out at the minute. Daughter wants her motor serviced so there’s £50 -£60 away for the full service parts and a gallon of oil.
    always overtaken by events!

• 101 expatmag // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:35 PM

TUFF

Yep. Back home a couple of weeks now. It was a short 3 week trip but I had a great time, great weather and enjoyed catching up with everyone.

It was good to see you even though it was for such a short time. Hope C is well and didnt spend too much down the metro centre……lol

• 102 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:40 PM

Mag52, i replied earlier but it wasn’t posted for whatever reason. When i tried to repost it, it wouldn’t let me because i’d already posted it! Anyway, thanks for that info, I’ll check it out. I also had both kneecaps removed after a car crash 30 yrs ago, so I think I’m falling to bits. I’m already on morphine sulphate 160mg a day, oramorph wen required and they’ve put me on gabapentin because it apparently boosts the morphine effect. Just sends my head wappy imo and I’m still stuck in bed!. They don’t know what it is yet, so I’ll know more after the bodyscan, but thanks again, I’ll see what my doc says. I’ll be a guinea pig if it helps

• 103 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:43 PM

Sir Tuff,

as I work in the industry, id be happy to come over, and service it for you ( the car)… all you have to do is fly me there, bring me to a match and ill fix it and buy the beer 🙂

• 104 Carl819 // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:48 PM

Tiote, anagram for liability.

• 105 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Dok, that sounds like a very reasonable offer to me mate. 😉

• 106 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Carl, I’m not an English teacher, but… 🙂

• 107 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Etiot

• 108 Mister Tuff // Oct 20, 2015 at 1:55 PM

dok – how’s things – very kind of you to offer but I’ll decline – it would end up being the most expensive car service in history.
    I hope you are a trustworthy mechanic and do things correctly – some of the beggars across here claim they’ve fitted new parts but haven’t. Years ago I used to mark the oil filters, air filters, cabin filters to check if they’d been replaced – some had some hadn’t. So started doing it myself – got all the tools, OBD stuff – only need dry weather as I don’t have a garage.

• 109 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Has anybody had a look on a mackem blog to see what they’re saying, we should be hearing from daffy soon enough, or maybe not !

• 110 barkel // Oct 20, 2015 at 2:04 PM

Jail-

I’d be embarrassed for that to be in my search history!

• 111 optimistic prime // Oct 20, 2015 at 2:09 PM

JFA

Silence is golden, even the ones I’ve heard from are bricking it.

• 112 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 20, 2015 at 2:15 PM

well, Sir Tuff,

the offer stands, maybe hit the lottery.. oh then youd buy a new car lol…

bobby, im in texas, so id be getting the better end of the deal 🙂

• 113 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 20, 2015 at 2:16 PM

OP,

mackem blog = is that where they sit in a pub and write on a small notebook like pards carries, and pass it to each other?

• 114 jayphoto // Oct 20, 2015 at 2:18 PM

Wouldn’t put it past Newcastle, or Sunderland to see Sunderland get a win. We’ve got a few players that notoriously disappear in Derbies and they’ve got a squad of players who only turn up once or twice a year.
    More optimistic we’ll beat them under Allardyce than under Advocaat.
    I imagine Big Sham will look at the fact our 2 centrebacks are shortish and load the long balls up to borini or fletcher despite neither enjoying playing that way

• 115 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Dok, I know you’re over the pond marra, but like i said, sounds iike a fair offer. Just didn’t say who for!! 😉

• 116 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2015 at 2:44 PM

Jail, Carr is overrated. I’ve been banging that drum long before the local media woke up. I’m not saying he has ruined the club, but he didnt give Pardew the type of player he wanted , probably because of his ego and enjoyment of watching french football and flimsy ball playing defenders and wingers and midfielders. There again, if you rate Carr, I’m afraid you will have to praise the Fat Man who appointed him, but that might hurt too much. s I have said before re Carr, his last transfer moves have been generally good, and if we spend 50 mill in january on guys like Wini then we call all smile. Unlikely mind….

• 117 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Munster,
    Firstly, it was Houghton that recommended him so don’t try and pull that one, any way what did Pardew ever do that Houghton couldn’t or didn’t given the chance, did we ever score six under Pardew, we scored more than three goals seven times in four years Munster and three of those were with Houghtons team and once against nine men.

• 118 Jail for Ashley // Oct 20, 2015 at 2:53 PM

Munster,
    He is just a scout, all scouts pull off good players, do you think he was the only one watching Ayew, Bony etc, I’m not even saying he’s a sh!t hot scout I just don’t lay the blame on us being so god damn woeful for the past three or four years, there is no way a conference/league two manager should be given that much power at the club, but we know who’s given him that !

• 119 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Jail I never wanted Houghton sacked. It was a shocking thing to do but as I have said here countless times, whilst I dont want pardew back, he copped far more flack than he deserved on this site, and his detractors are unable to say they were wrong when many pointed out he would relegate Palace last season. I think he was bloody lucky to get the NUFC gig in the first place, and railed against his appointment because he got in uncontested. A bit like SMC.

• 120 Bobbybee // Oct 20, 2015 at 2:56 PM

Jay, they’ll be thinking that Norwich twatted them at home 1-3. That same side came here and lost 6-2. They may not want to think about it, but it will be haunting their dreams. Our confidence has to be higher. They can’t even sell their tickets ffs. They’re more worried. If we can put six past Norwich; who put three past them, they’re dreading another 5-1 – or worse.

• 121 John Tudor // Oct 20, 2015 at 3:01 PM

it needs to be for goal difference purposes

• 122 Shadow_Shearer // Oct 20, 2015 at 3:03 PM

We are alot better at keeping possession now than we ever have been under p45. But I feel we are not the finished article yet. Team needs more time & games. Defence looks shaky on & off the ball.
    I think its best we get the ball up field first, then play the ball about. It doesn’t matta how we get it up field, if it’s a long ball or counter attack. We are not barca, we can’t play the ball from defence. Once up field I think we look alot more comfortable in possession

• 123 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2015 at 3:04 PM

Agree on that Jail, and its what I have always said. His remit is de facto DOF , not sure if he has cretaed it himself of is Ashley his fav boss did, but there is no doubt he appointed SMC, again uncontested. I’m sure he wanted Bony but that certainly doesnt give him any accolades as Bobt was a euro hotshot. He has a predeliction for signing flimsy guys who dont suit english football. We can all list them. Maybe it was a personality clash with Pardew ( easy i’m sure ) but they clearly had different visions of what was needed. Either way, the big test of Ash comes in the next two windows. Will he continue to spend? If he does, and Carr does the good thing he can do ( as opposed to the crap work ) and SMC can get the team to defend and attack, we could be in for much happier days. Equally, if we dont, we could be in the muck because our players are not good defenders and have a tendency to collapse, and i include so cxalled warriors like Tiote in that. I think credit has to be given to Carr and Charnley ( never praised on here ) for getting Mitro, but sadly he will just represent a 10-15Mill profit to us in 3 yrs.

• 124 Munster Mag // Oct 20, 2015 at 3:08 PM

Bobby we cant have their nutter midfielder dictating the play and killing people in the tackles ( cant remember his name but u know him ) ….i think tiote will play because oif the aggro and we will need him, but we need guys like sissoko to stand up to them. Sadly there is no history to suggest that will happen. And thats not anti foreigner in case anyine suggests it. I hate that attitude.

• 125 Moonraker15 // Oct 20, 2015 at 9:06 PM

I wanted Tiote in but unfortunately it is obvious he is finished. Problem is we haven’t got a decent alternative so we’ll have to stick with Anita till Christmas when I’m sure a strong dm will be bought.

previous post: Newcastle Player The Highest Rated In Europe