The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Do This Against Sunderland At Their Peril

8:40 am, Wednesday, October 21st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 14 Comments

We suppose we should have seen a quick yellow card coming for Cheick Tiote on Sunday because he hasn´t played for us for  a while and he´s certainly not match fit so his tackles could be mis-timed.

And so it was on Sunday against Norwich after just five minutes when he picked up a yellow and then we were worried in case he lunged in again and picked up a second yellow and we were down to 10 men.

cheick tiote

Cheick Tiote – could start on Sunday

But Steve McClaren made a good change at half-time and brought in Vurnon Anita who steadied things at the back and for the next few games we will probably see both players get some playing time as we see if Cheick can return to top form.

We do think Cheick can do a job for Newcastle this season.

Sunday was Tiote´s first Premier League start since New Year’s Day and he was injured when he then left to play for the Ivory Coast in the Africa Cup of Nations and injured his knee and didn´t play again last season.

This is what the the 29-year-old midfielder has said to the local press:

“We needed to start from somewhere, and the Norwich win was the start for everyone.” “Now we have a big game coming up, and I think we need to be ready for that.”

“It was very important to get more confidence. I think we can build on that on Sunday.” “We needed confidence. I think it was a massive win for us. We did everything right to win the game.”

“We take that and go to the next game against Sunderland. We know it’s not going to be easy, but we will do the right things on the pitch and do everything to win.”

“I know it’s not easy in any Premier League game, but this one is more special for the fans and the players.” “It will be a tough, tough game.”

“I think the new players know already about the importance of the occasion.” “We have been talking about the derby in the dressing room, so I think everyone knows.”

There have been too many times in the last five derby games when Newcastle players talk a good game before the match with Sunderland and then are rather pathetic during the game.

Sunderland have outfought us and outplayed us – even though they have fought relegation over the last three seasons – that´s the main reason why we have lost all five.

A good example of that was earlier in the year when Geordie coach John Carver guaranteed his players would at the very least give their all against Sunderland.

That didn´t happen and we were hopeless and lost 1-0 at the Stadium of Light to that terrific goal from Jermain Defoe just before half time.

One player who was particularly poor in the game was Moussa Sissoko who was caption for the day – but he didn´t bother turning up.

That should be what Steve McClaren is drumming into the players before Sunday – that this is a huge game for Newcastle and we have to give it everything we have.

If our players can do that we can win the game.

But we underestimate Sunderland in this game at out peril.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Sunderland?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Coaching · Derby · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

14 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Oct 21, 2015 at 8:53 AM

I think we have many more players who are aware of the significance of the derby than the Scum.

Is Clattermole match fit ?

It is not going to be a game for the faint-hearted , fat Sam will realise his squad is way behind ours in skill , so , will be telling them to get stuck in and be provocative , NOT a game for a Cheikh Tiote still struggling for match fitness.

Good test for Mitro , M’Bemba and Thauvin (who should be played at some stage).

The upturn in Sissoko’s form is because he thinks he now has players around him worthy of his best , it’s a French thing.
    There must be nothing worse than making surging runs and looking up and finding no support from team mates , which happened a lot under Pardew and Carver.

• 2 catchy in norway // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:00 AM

3catchy in norway // Oct 21, 2015 at 8:15 AM

Right now , I believe this could be the best season ever , and not because what is going on on Tyneside , I believe the guys down the road In red and white are in serious trouble, but what makes me think it’s going to be a good season is fat sham will take them down, he may have done better if he had a big CF at the club , but they have Defoe , sham doesn’t know how to use small players.

Sunderland are a poor squad, no doubt about it. Villa will sack Timothy and probably go for Moyes , big mistake , both are poor managers.

Relegated ,
    Aston villa
    Bournemouth .

• 3 Jib // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:06 AM

If you are right , the one that would give me biggest joy would be the Yamyams , after the way they gloated when we went down.

• 4 catchy in norway // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:06 AM

That for me makes perfect sense, last season the amour of runs that sissoko made and got nothing from them because he only had one person up with him. He was made to look greedy because he shot more than he should have from 30 yards,

The first goal on Sunday was a great example , he picked the ball and looked to shoot , skipped past a few players and he had 3 options in front of him that could score . And the big thing in all of that was options ,

Can you imaging what it must feel like to run all day for nothing ?

Yes the mentality is changing for the better at our club

• 5 catchy in norway // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:09 AM

For me both Sunderland and villa are nailed on to go down. And nothing would make me happier, it’s like we win on four fronts, Sunderland ,their fans , and sham, then the villa fans.

Got to get some money on them 2 going down

• 6 barkel // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:16 AM

I’m not as confident as everyone else about Sundays game, I’ve watched most of the mackem games this season and they have played well in parts, not for a full game mind, but they can cause us trouble. I would expect big tackles very early from Cattermole and M’vila. I think they’ll start with Fletcher up top and Toivenan right behind him. They’re both 6ft+ and can cause us trouble. I think we’ll need to score very early in this one if we’re going to win

• 7 cyprus // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:18 AM

May be right regarding ‘ineffective’ surging runs, losing the ball, shooting from distance, etc.

Those passes, on the run, were inch perfect, for all 4 goals. I know you can’t expect that every time, but it was awesome to see.

I like your comment about options…

• 8 cyprus // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:22 AM

I often agree with your posts not there, hope I don’t get the mackem label from someone who won’t read this carefully 🙂

I prefer Sunderland to stay up, would want Boro up as well. The NE looks like a poor football relative in the UK, even now with 2 teams in the bottom 3. I would prefer for these 2 to be top 10 teams (with NUFC a top 6), where the derby result isn’t a matter of life and death and relegation, more one of bragging rights, till the next one.

• 9 sparky55 // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Big Sam knows we have a soft underbelly in the height of our centre halves and the fact Colo is so easily dominated when a cross comes in…he’s ok on the floor but big sam doesn’t play his football on the floor…it’ll be an arial assault like the one we experienced two years ago down at Norwich and we were slaughtered.

I’ll be happy to come away with a draw but as usual we’ll have to score at least 2 goals to get that draw, and I can guarantee their goals will be headers of from a knock down from a header.

This game will be right up Sam’s street because of our lack of height at the back…they’re all well under 6ft except Hiadara so we’re in for a arial pounding for sure

• 10 Toonfan8 // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:24 AM

I agree that we should go for G.Xhaka, great player already with lot of potential and a missing piece in our jigsaw…Strong lad, with great passing ability and hardworker, teamplayer…We need that type of player.

• 11 catchy in norway // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:31 AM

I fully agree with your thinking , I’m not an SMB but I normally want them in the prem with us, and would love boro to be up with us, ( which I think they will this season) . But this season is a little bit different in the sense that they have beat is 5 times now and IMO 4 of those times have kept them In the league, and I really dislike big sham. He wants nothing more than to see us fail so he can have a private laugh at us ,
    I have a few good friends back home who a are Sunderland fans and the banter is always good, so if they do go down I would miss that

• 12 martoon // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:40 AM

Catchy from last topic – you are right it was a fantastic front 6 – which is probably why the defence was suspect 🙂

• 13 barkel // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:41 AM

Sparky –
    Turns out none of the back four that started against Norwich was under 6ft and Haidara was the only one that was under 6ft.

Cyprus –
    I would agree with your way of thinking, I never want them to win a game but wouldn’t like to not have them in the league!

• 14 1949BH PROUDTOBEAGEORDIE // Oct 21, 2015 at 9:59 AM

jamestoon earlier callum wilson is out for the season with cruciate knee injury.

previous post: These Two Make All The Difference At Newcastle