The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Makes Good Point About Sunderland Game

4:12 pm, Thursday, October 22nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 30 Comments

Steve McClaren has just given his press conference today for the important derby game against Sunderland on Sunday and we have lost the last five games to them – so it would be very good to get a win on Sunday and then we would have 9 points from 10 games and 7 points from the last three games.

Those are even reasonable stats – and that would be good.

Steve McClaren Press Conference B+W Background

Steve McClaren – we know nothing about the last five derby games

This is some of what Steve has said at his press conference today:

“We don’t know anything about the previous five games. Half the team don’t either.” “It’s a fresh game, a new game and a new opportunity. Why should we approach this game any differently?”

“Manchester United, Chelsea or Man City, this game is the same. This game is massive for the fans and there’s a determination to get the result for the fans.”

And when asked how he can change the same old story, McClaren said: “By giving a performance and showing the determination to get a win.” “Sunday is very important for the club and fans.”

“We have to play the game and not the occasion. It’s an old saying but it’s true. That’s what we are focusing on this week.”

This was the team that lost 1-0 at the Stadium of Light on 5th April with Jermain Defoe scoring just before half time – under then interim coach John Carver – and that was our fourth defeat in a row.

Newcastle (4-1-4-1): Tim Krul; Ryan Taylor, Daryl Janmaat, Mike Williamson, Jack Colback; Jonas Gutierrez; Remy Cabella, Moussa Sissoko (c), Yoan Gouffran (Emmanuel Riviere 58), Sammy Ameobi (Adam Armstrong 87); Ayoze Perez

So certainly our four new first team players – Gini Wijnaldum, Chancel Mbemba, Aleksandar Mitrovic and Florian Thauvin know nothing about this game and neither do Jamaal Lascelles or Karl Darlow – although Karl is out injured at the moment.

That’s a good last line from Steve above –  We have to play the game and not the occasion –  but quite honestly we don’t know what Newcastle team will turn up on Sunday.

But hopefully, the lads can put in a very good performance and be a lot stronger at the back than we were against Norwich City last time out.

But we have no idea really how the game will go – but two in three Newcastle fans think we can win this game.

That would be fantastic.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Sunderland?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Derby · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

30 responses so far ↓

• 1 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:14 PM

don’t think krul is playing ed….

• 2 Tsunki // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:15 PM

• 3 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:15 PM

or was that the last lineup… puts down coffee laced with booze lol

• 4 lesh // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:18 PM

Ed, are you and Paul on piecework or something? You’re rattling out posts as though there’s no tomorrow!

• 5 lesh // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:23 PM

If you’re lacing your coffee and feeling the effects, you clearly need some coaching from Jib/ Jeff/ Jane.

Naughty me, that’s not fair at all.

• 6 Spellcheck // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:26 PM

Confident we can silence fat Sam and climb the league after last weeks performance. Onwards n upwards.

• 7 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:26 PM

I was interested to see the references to Scott Sellars in some of the earlier threads.

I still maintain that it was his injury that derailed our best EPL title chance under King Kevin.

The team didn’t run as smoothly without him imo.

• 8 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:28 PM

hangs head, and here I thought I was a semi respected blog member…

where a local AA meeting tonite.. oh wait, I can ask jib to google it for me….

• 9 Online Guy // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:30 PM

2 questions ,,

Has there been any fights

Has Ashley sold up

• 10 SUTTY1978 // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:30 PM

the problem is that we have played the game and not the occasion in the past whereas Sunderland always play the occasion. Everyone knows Derby games are different and therefore needed to be treated differently by the players.

• 11 Bambams // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:46 PM

I just hope we can handle the constant crosses. Big Sam knows ( not that many don’t know) we have no height at the back, I have to be honest the only way we will win is in a high scoring game rather than a one nil.
    Not a game for Tiote, unless he can sort out his bloody lunging stupid challenges
    I am going for 3-2 Toon and we get a penalty …..(I hope)

• 12 JamesToon // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:47 PM

Worried about how well we’ll be able to contain the long balls from sunderland with fletcher towering over coloccini. Maybe lascelles would be able to match him but can’t just throw him in the deep end.

But I’m excited and got a good feeling about sunday, looking forward to it

• 13 hibbitt // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:50 PM

bambam…………..think we might see danny graham start on sunday to do exactly that big sam’s way

• 14 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:50 PM

Steve Storey sounds like the man. The trouble is the seating for wheelchair users is so poor. Why shouldn’t they be able to sit in a decent position with a decent view. The existing seats are cheap, so you can’t complain about the price. But there’s no option to pay more and get a good view as far as I’m aware.

• 15 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:52 PM

Do you reckon you’ll be able to get a ticket for the Sunderland game? Have you been to a derby before?

• 16 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:55 PM

You got banned for complaining? Hahaha. Ed could’ve at least given you a warning not to complain.

• 17 toon kk // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:56 PM

Our defence hasn’t alot of hope when our so called captain Collo keeps turning his back and frightened he gets hurt by the ball.
    As for Tiote, I know people have mixed opinions on him but he’d be better off in a cart horse race, at the moment he’s a unfit dirty player who slows a already pace less team down.

• 18 Bambams // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Aye fella good shout. Fletcher is a handful on his day and again I am currently watching the Norwich match for about the 6th time. They caused us loads of problems znd if we don’t stop the crosses we will have problems. I also hope we pick up the likes of Defoe and others lurking just outside the box.
    Lascelles will get his chance soon and we could do with his height.
    Fingers crossed

• 19 Bambams // Oct 22, 2015 at 5:01 PM

Tell you what young Perez does some work. His work rate is excellent.
    I am really hopeful the partnership with Mitro will work

• 20 barkel // Oct 22, 2015 at 5:04 PM

Colo & Mbemba are both 6ft, it’s not like they’re small players. Stephen Fletcher and Danny Graham are both 6’1. Why do people think our defenders are tiny?

• 21 Bambams // Oct 22, 2015 at 5:09 PM

That one inch makes all the difference. …
    Sorry fella could help myself.

You are right it’s not a lot but Colo hasn’t got the best of leaps, a 6ft 3″ or 4″ commanding CB would certainly benefit the team. Mbemba has pace and I must admit I like the fella, couple of Albert type runs out from the back need to be cut short but I do like him.

• 22 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 5:13 PM

“Manchester City have been reported to Uefa after fans were heard booing the Champions League anthem before their win 2-1 over Sevilla on Wednesday.”

“Match delegate Geir Thorsteinsson, the chairman of the Iceland FA, detailed the incident and disciplinary proceedings have now been opened, with the case set to be heard in November.”

Is this a spoof?

• 23 barkel // Oct 22, 2015 at 5:15 PM

haha I kinda walked into that one!

I would imagine that the next CB we bring in will have the height. It was just I noticed in the last couple of days there were a few posts mentioning height at the back so I just wanted to get peoples views.

• 24 JamesToon // Oct 22, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Do you not remember poyet’s first Derby where he had altidore and fletcher up front and they dominated our centre backs

• 25 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 22, 2015 at 5:25 PM

the derby will be my 1st time there, and the wife said hang the cost, well go to the derby… knock on wood…

• 26 optimistic prime // Oct 22, 2015 at 5:28 PM

Is it true that Steeve sent his Email to a Sunderland fan aswell?

• 27 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 5:33 PM

It’s an electric occasion. I thought it was difficult to get one ticket never mind two. I’m sure bloggers will use their contacts to help if you struggle.

• 28 Mister Tuff // Oct 22, 2015 at 5:37 PM

optimistic – yes that is correct the email was sent to a Sunderland fan – he posted it on here earlier on – just cannot remember his name at the minute.

• 29 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 22, 2015 at 5:52 PM

the blog has been quality in informing me when they go on sale, plus ive a friend there to help me out as well.. crossing fingers and toes that me and the wife get to it!

• 30 lesh // Oct 22, 2015 at 5:56 PM

Jib’s chairing the AA meeting – it’s at a bar near you!

previous post: Steve McClaren Surprises Newcastle Fans