Newcastle Head Coach Gives Injury Update

Newcastle are now only joint top of the injury list with nine players out injured – the same as at Liverpool – with Bournemouth next in line with seven.

Newcastle head coach  Steve McClaren has given an injury update on three injured Newcastle players today and it looks like in about four weeks all three players –  Riviere (knee), Darlow (ankle/foot) and Obertan )hamstring) – will be back in action at Newcastle for the busy December fixture list.

karl darlow

Karl Darlow – still four weeks away

This is what Steve has said on the injury status of those three players:

“Manu is two or three weeks away.” “Karl Darlow is four weeks away and Gabriel Obertan is three or four weeks.” “They are a little bit far away at the moment.”

This is our fixtures list through early January.

October
Sun 13	16:00	A	Tottenham
Sat 19	17:30	H	Aston Villa
Sat 26	17:30	H	Everton
Mon 28	15:00	A	WBA
January
Sat 02	15:00	A	Arsenal

There are quite a few games we can win of those 11 fixtures before there is a two week International break in January.

In addition to those three players out we also have Tim Krul (knee), Steven Taylor (hamstring), Curtis Good (hip/thigh), Sylvain Marveaux (groin), Rolando Aarons (calf/shin) and Kevin Mbabu (hamstring) supposedly out injured on Physioroom.com.

But Rolando Aarons and Kevin Mbabu are back in full training this week and we thought Marveaux was also fit now – so it looks like we have only six injuries – which is a lot better than the 13 players we had out last week.

• catchy in norway

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:51 AM

obertan , i wish he was 4 years away from playing

• barkel

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:53 AM

From previous

Martoon;-

Lens would be a definite, defoe maybe but I’d take O’Shea for sure. In my opinion he’s their best player, would have definitely been relegated by now without him. Johnson or Toivenen as a squad player if I had to pick anyone else

• Ibizatoon

Oct 22, 2015 at 9:56 AM

I’m interested to see Riviere under new coaching. He seemed to perform the holding role pretty well before, it’s just the movement of the team was totally non existent.

Still huge question marks over his finishing though.

Catchy…Don’t worry. Who knows what could happen in 2-3 weeks time.

• the broons

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Riverie and Cisse should only come back into the team if mitro or perez get injured or out of form. For the time being they have more than showed that they are the first choice partnership.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:11 AM

I can’t believe anyone would run to Ed because they don’t like someone else’s posts. Fair enough, if someone’s using offensive language. But, because you view them as trolling and spoiling the blog for you? If everybody complained to Ed about everyone who was, in their opinion, spoiling the blog for them, there’d be no one left. Fair enough to make the point directly to the other poster. If you don’t like a poster’s contribution, skip their comments. If two posters are making a saga, skip them both.

• the broons

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Ibizatoon

I agree with you, he most certainly isn’t a goalscorer by any means but I remember how strong and good his hold up play is.

Not to the level of Mitrovic but I still think he could be a really good back up choice to have.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Broons…He is in no way, from what we’ve seen anyway, going to be challenging our current strikers, but I do feel, as you say, he can provide a decent enough back-up. Maybe 🙂

• catchy in norway

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:25 AM

ibiza

are you think further injuries ?

Manu remindes of hesky, does a lot of unseen work,

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:29 AM

One win and the blog fills with optimism like a ferry with its bow doors open fills with water.

• Jib

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Blackley and Brownley
    I concur 😎

• Ibizatoon

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Catchy…Why limit ourselves to injuries? Anything could happen.

It’s hard to see the name Hesky and not come over in a state of boredom, but I get what you’re saying. Has his uses and can play the team game.

Anyway, off to the vets I go (not for me….I’ve had my shots this year 😉 ).

• martoon

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:33 AM

barkel @2 – Agreed O’Shea has to be a better option than Colo. It sounds like a bit of an Oxymoron saying Defoe is a maybe 🙂

• barkel

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Well the maybe with Defoe is probably more down to recent form and being played wide rather than down the middle. Would you have him start up front for us in place of Perez?

• catchy in norway

Oct 22, 2015 at 10:43 AM

good luck Ibiza

• manxpie

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM

How tall is darlow he looks a right lanky bugger there like?
    wat ever happened to that Italian player the scum had they spent a fair wack on him and I haven’t seen him since?

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:07 AM

B&B, whats been happening marra? Want to make sure I don’t say the wrong thing whilst my head’s fuddled with all these drugs I’m on. Had to turn down a ticket to the S.O.Lice on Sunday. Just hope I’m capable of making the Stoke game next week! Worrying times!

• optimistic prime

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Paul Bracewell to Sunderland, didn’t see that coming. Didn’t know he was coaching.

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Prime, as they say, start at the bottom and work upwards. 😉

• optimistic prime

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Bobby

🙂

• Munster Mag

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Brace will learn much from Sam. He could have improved madrid u know. Honest.

• barkel

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Manx –

It’s Giacherinni, I think he’s gone back to Italy, I think they “Pardewed” him.

OP –

Bracewell going there was in the press a few days ago, Phil Brown was hippo heads first choice but he turned it down

• catchy in norway

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM

manx , im here now

• barkel

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:37 AM

oh I’ve just read he was already there! He had been the u-21 coach

• nut meg

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Last I heard of Paul Bracewell he was running a football /fitness school or something in Gosforth.I also thought I seen a glimpse of him at Sunderland’s match on Saturday.

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Just like to like to give my best wishes to johan Cruyff and hope they can catch it in time. Great player who inspired me when I was younger. He was part of the Dutch ‘Total Football’ revolution that changed the game forever. Truly a legend.

• Munster Mag

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Bobby keep up the spirits. Am at hosp with wifey but we have deffo caught it early. I told her i will bring her to the ashley arena when she is better. Not sure that was a good move!

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Munster, Thinking of you both mate, it’s not just the patient is it? It’s their loved ones too. You too keep ya chin up mate, you’ve got a heavy load to carry.

• optimistic prime

Oct 22, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Phil Brown to Paul Bracewell is a bit of a leap, asking a current manager getting the Spanish archer and then turning to the youth coach, strange.

I’d have thought Kevin Ball would be 1st in line as assistant, unless he knocked it back. He’s been with them for years.

• Munster Mag

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM

A win on sunday would help! I was in st james years ago when we beat them…we had a small little winger who scored….would have been late 80s / early 90s…. can anyone give me a memory prompt?? Help!

• Bobbybee

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:01 PM

?ot to give it to Sham like, for being so insightful about the derby game. ‘The game against Newcastle is really important to the Sunderland fans’. No flies on him eh? That could earn him a degree i reckon. What a clever bloke he really is? 😉

• toon kk

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Let’s just hope we stay switched on when we play Sunderland, our defence couldn’t restrict a school boy team , so we’ll have to rely on us scoring more than them.
    They’re always far more up for it than us, so unfortunately it’s a garenteed three points for them. But who knows,

• nut meg

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Munster
    John Robertson
    Franz Carr
    Wayne Fereday
    Darren Jackson

• firebug666

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:15 PM

toon kk

Normally I would agree with you on them being guaranteed three points, But this time around we may be up for it to.

The key here will be Sissoko, if he stays on form and uses those powerful rune, the forwards will be in position, unlike in the past where we would surge forward then just stop and pass backwards from the final third to the GK.

Slowly things are changing, and we look a much better prospect, now we need consistency to progress.

I’m going for a win for us on Sunday.

• firebug666

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM

rune = runs

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Bobby
    Hope you’re fit and out of the wheelchair soon fella.

My 14 y.o. son is in a wheelchair. It’s bloody hard work pushing him up to the cathedral on the hill. And then the view for him is crap. He obviously can’t play football but he loves watching his brothers playing and watching MOTD and SKY Sports.

Sitting pitchside, you can’t get a decent perspective. You get linos and subs warming up blocking your view. At the Norwich game his best view was when the players celebrated near him. Unfortunately a steward immediately stood up in front of him to keep an eye on the crowd.

• barkel

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:24 PM

OP:-

It’s a fair difference alright but it might have just been paper talk in the first place.

• optimistic prime

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:24 PM

I think Sundays result will depend on our CM, Tiote is a mile of the pace.
    Neither he or Colback did their job for either of the goals against Norwich.

They’re supposed to drop in when players are out of position, neither reacted to Janmaat or Sissoko being out of position.
    If you watch the goals again Sis and Jan where nearly back in position before Tiote even reacted.

Doesn’t matter how many people you have covering in the box when the opo winger has all day to pick the cross.

If we start with Tiote and Colback I think we’ll lose, IMO Anita covers better and keeps the ball moving.

Kind of infuriating we let Abeid and Kemen go but kept Tiote who hasn’t played very well for 2 years plus.

• optimistic prime

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Barkel

From what I read it was Brown who said he’d knocked them back. Not that chip wrappings are reliable sources in the first place.

• catchy in norway

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Op

Our biggest mistake in the summer was letting Abeid go, with the right coaching , he could be a power house

• Munster Mag

Oct 22, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Nut meg….none of them…heeelllp!! I think it was a free kick. Can anyone help?? Driving me mad