The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Head Coach Gives Injury Update

9:47 am, Thursday, October 22nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 93 Comments

Newcastle are now only joint top of the injury list with nine players out injured – the same as at Liverpool – with Bournemouth next in line with seven.

Newcastle head coach  Steve McClaren has given an injury update on three injured Newcastle players today and it looks like in about four weeks all three players –  Riviere (knee), Darlow (ankle/foot) and Obertan )hamstring) – will be back in action at Newcastle for the busy December fixture list.

karl darlow

Karl Darlow – still four weeks away

This is what Steve has said on the injury status of those three players:

“Manu is two or three weeks away.” “Karl Darlow is four weeks away and Gabriel Obertan is three or four weeks.” “They are a little bit far away at the moment.”

This is our fixtures list through early January.

October
Sun 13	16:00	A	Tottenham
Sat 19	17:30	H	Aston Villa
Sat 26	17:30	H	Everton
Mon 28	15:00	A	WBA
January
Sat 02	15:00	A	Arsenal

There are quite a few games we can win of those 11 fixtures before there is a two week International break in January.

In addition to those three players out we also have Tim Krul (knee), Steven Taylor (hamstring), Curtis Good (hip/thigh), Sylvain Marveaux (groin), Rolando Aarons (calf/shin) and Kevin Mbabu (hamstring) supposedly out injured on Physioroom.com.

But Rolando Aarons and Kevin Mbabu are back in full training this week and we thought Marveaux was also fit now – so it looks like we have only six injuries – which is a lot better than the 13 players we had out last week.

Tags: Emmanuel Riviere · Gabriel Obertan · Injuries · Karl Darlow · Newcastle News · Premier League

93 responses so far ↓

• 1 catchy in norway // Oct 22, 2015 at 9:51 AM

obertan , i wish he was 4 years away from playing

• 2 barkel // Oct 22, 2015 at 9:53 AM

From previous

Martoon;-

Lens would be a definite, defoe maybe but I’d take O’Shea for sure. In my opinion he’s their best player, would have definitely been relegated by now without him. Johnson or Toivenen as a squad player if I had to pick anyone else

• 3 Ibizatoon // Oct 22, 2015 at 9:56 AM

I’m interested to see Riviere under new coaching. He seemed to perform the holding role pretty well before, it’s just the movement of the team was totally non existent.

Still huge question marks over his finishing though.

Catchy…Don’t worry. Who knows what could happen in 2-3 weeks time.

• 4 the broons // Oct 22, 2015 at 10:08 AM

Riverie and Cisse should only come back into the team if mitro or perez get injured or out of form. For the time being they have more than showed that they are the first choice partnership.

• 5 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 10:11 AM

I can’t believe anyone would run to Ed because they don’t like someone else’s posts. Fair enough, if someone’s using offensive language. But, because you view them as trolling and spoiling the blog for you? If everybody complained to Ed about everyone who was, in their opinion, spoiling the blog for them, there’d be no one left. Fair enough to make the point directly to the other poster. If you don’t like a poster’s contribution, skip their comments. If two posters are making a saga, skip them both.

• 6 the broons // Oct 22, 2015 at 10:11 AM

Ibizatoon

I agree with you, he most certainly isn’t a goalscorer by any means but I remember how strong and good his hold up play is.

Not to the level of Mitrovic but I still think he could be a really good back up choice to have.

• 7 Ibizatoon // Oct 22, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Broons…He is in no way, from what we’ve seen anyway, going to be challenging our current strikers, but I do feel, as you say, he can provide a decent enough back-up. Maybe 🙂

• 8 catchy in norway // Oct 22, 2015 at 10:25 AM

ibiza

are you think further injuries ?

Manu remindes of hesky, does a lot of unseen work,

• 9 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 10:29 AM

One win and the blog fills with optimism like a ferry with its bow doors open fills with water.

• 10 Jib // Oct 22, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Blackley and Brownley
    I concur 😎

• 11 Ibizatoon // Oct 22, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Catchy…Why limit ourselves to injuries? Anything could happen.

It’s hard to see the name Hesky and not come over in a state of boredom, but I get what you’re saying. Has his uses and can play the team game.

Anyway, off to the vets I go (not for me….I’ve had my shots this year 😉 ).

• 12 martoon // Oct 22, 2015 at 10:33 AM

barkel @2 – Agreed O’Shea has to be a better option than Colo. It sounds like a bit of an Oxymoron saying Defoe is a maybe 🙂

• 13 barkel // Oct 22, 2015 at 10:37 AM

Well the maybe with Defoe is probably more down to recent form and being played wide rather than down the middle. Would you have him start up front for us in place of Perez?

• 14 catchy in norway // Oct 22, 2015 at 10:43 AM

good luck Ibiza

• 15 manxpie // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:02 AM

How tall is darlow he looks a right lanky bugger there like?
    wat ever happened to that Italian player the scum had they spent a fair wack on him and I haven’t seen him since?

• 16 Bobbybee // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:07 AM

B&B, whats been happening marra? Want to make sure I don’t say the wrong thing whilst my head’s fuddled with all these drugs I’m on. Had to turn down a ticket to the S.O.Lice on Sunday. Just hope I’m capable of making the Stoke game next week! Worrying times!

• 17 optimistic prime // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:11 AM

Paul Bracewell to Sunderland, didn’t see that coming. Didn’t know he was coaching.

• 18 Bobbybee // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Prime, as they say, start at the bottom and work upwards. 😉

• 19 optimistic prime // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:20 AM

Bobby

🙂

• 20 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Brace will learn much from Sam. He could have improved madrid u know. Honest.

• 21 barkel // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM

Manx –

It’s Giacherinni, I think he’s gone back to Italy, I think they “Pardewed” him.

OP –

Bracewell going there was in the press a few days ago, Phil Brown was hippo heads first choice but he turned it down

• 22 catchy in norway // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:36 AM

manx , im here now

• 23 barkel // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:37 AM

oh I’ve just read he was already there! He had been the u-21 coach

• 24 nut meg // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Last I heard of Paul Bracewell he was running a football /fitness school or something in Gosforth.I also thought I seen a glimpse of him at Sunderland’s match on Saturday.

• 25 Bobbybee // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:39 AM

Just like to like to give my best wishes to johan Cruyff and hope they can catch it in time. Great player who inspired me when I was younger. He was part of the Dutch ‘Total Football’ revolution that changed the game forever. Truly a legend.

• 26 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:40 AM

Bobby keep up the spirits. Am at hosp with wifey but we have deffo caught it early. I told her i will bring her to the ashley arena when she is better. Not sure that was a good move!

• 27 Bobbybee // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:48 AM

Munster, Thinking of you both mate, it’s not just the patient is it? It’s their loved ones too. You too keep ya chin up mate, you’ve got a heavy load to carry.

• 28 optimistic prime // Oct 22, 2015 at 11:56 AM

Phil Brown to Paul Bracewell is a bit of a leap, asking a current manager getting the Spanish archer and then turning to the youth coach, strange.

I’d have thought Kevin Ball would be 1st in line as assistant, unless he knocked it back. He’s been with them for years.

• 29 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:00 PM

A win on sunday would help! I was in st james years ago when we beat them…we had a small little winger who scored….would have been late 80s / early 90s…. can anyone give me a memory prompt?? Help!

• 30 Bobbybee // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:01 PM

?ot to give it to Sham like, for being so insightful about the derby game. ‘The game against Newcastle is really important to the Sunderland fans’. No flies on him eh? That could earn him a degree i reckon. What a clever bloke he really is? 😉

• 31 toon kk // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Let’s just hope we stay switched on when we play Sunderland, our defence couldn’t restrict a school boy team , so we’ll have to rely on us scoring more than them.
    They’re always far more up for it than us, so unfortunately it’s a garenteed three points for them. But who knows,

• 32 nut meg // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Munster
    John Robertson
    Franz Carr
    Wayne Fereday
    Darren Jackson

• 33 firebug666 // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:15 PM

toon kk

Normally I would agree with you on them being guaranteed three points, But this time around we may be up for it to.

The key here will be Sissoko, if he stays on form and uses those powerful rune, the forwards will be in position, unlike in the past where we would surge forward then just stop and pass backwards from the final third to the GK.

Slowly things are changing, and we look a much better prospect, now we need consistency to progress.

I’m going for a win for us on Sunday.

• 34 firebug666 // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:16 PM

rune = runs

• 35 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Bobby
    Hope you’re fit and out of the wheelchair soon fella.

My 14 y.o. son is in a wheelchair. It’s bloody hard work pushing him up to the cathedral on the hill. And then the view for him is crap. He obviously can’t play football but he loves watching his brothers playing and watching MOTD and SKY Sports.

Sitting pitchside, you can’t get a decent perspective. You get linos and subs warming up blocking your view. At the Norwich game his best view was when the players celebrated near him. Unfortunately a steward immediately stood up in front of him to keep an eye on the crowd.

• 36 barkel // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:24 PM

OP:-

It’s a fair difference alright but it might have just been paper talk in the first place.

• 37 optimistic prime // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:24 PM

I think Sundays result will depend on our CM, Tiote is a mile of the pace.
    Neither he or Colback did their job for either of the goals against Norwich.

They’re supposed to drop in when players are out of position, neither reacted to Janmaat or Sissoko being out of position.
    If you watch the goals again Sis and Jan where nearly back in position before Tiote even reacted.

Doesn’t matter how many people you have covering in the box when the opo winger has all day to pick the cross.

If we start with Tiote and Colback I think we’ll lose, IMO Anita covers better and keeps the ball moving.

Kind of infuriating we let Abeid and Kemen go but kept Tiote who hasn’t played very well for 2 years plus.

• 38 optimistic prime // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:26 PM

Barkel

From what I read it was Brown who said he’d knocked them back. Not that chip wrappings are reliable sources in the first place.

• 39 catchy in norway // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Op

Our biggest mistake in the summer was letting Abeid go, with the right coaching , he could be a power house

• 40 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Nut meg….none of them…heeelllp!! I think it was a free kick. Can anyone help?? Driving me mad

• 41 Munster Mag // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:36 PM

He may have been scottish??

• 42 Bobbybee // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:40 PM

Mark Magee?

• 43 manxpie // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:41 PM

Catchy was wondering Wat you thought my mind set was as you said the other day you didn’t understand it?

• 44 nut meg // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:42 PM

Munster
    Liam O’brian scored a free kick.

• 45 Bobbybee // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Got to go – even my charger has stopped working properly. Won’t charge whilst I’m using it ffs.

• 46 manxpie // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:43 PM

That’s the one barkel was supposed to be quite a coop must’ve quickly realised Wat he’d let hhimself in for

• 47 Ibizatoon // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:51 PM

Catchy…Thanks. Turns out I’ve paid out over €100 to find out my dog’s a bit of a “drama queen”.

I could have told them that 🙂

• 48 Jib // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:53 PM

Munster
    We didn’t play the Mackems that much in the time you are talking about (different leagues).
    The only two I can think of (neither were wingers) who actually scored were.

David Kelly
    Mark McGhee

There was Gavin Peacock too (I don’t think he scored against the scum)

• 49 smoke beer, drink tabs // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Just hoyed a sneaky tenner on mitrovic hat trick, 100/1. Doesn’t seem a bad price as Defoe and fletcher are both 66/1!!!

• 50 catchy in norway // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:54 PM

i find you very strange in how you see the game, what you seem to watch and what i watch are 2 very different games, even though it is the same match.

i came up with many facts to back my arguments up on why i thought p45 was a bad manager, but you only came forward with what you thought, which from my point of view was way off what was really happening.

couple that with the fact you would only ever say no good manager would come to us, again, a avery strange comment when you just have to here that RDB seems to want to manage us, vierea wanted to manage us. thats 2 big names IMO,

i look that we signed 3 very good players in the summer one of them was the dutch national player of the year, one was a21 year old that was wanted all over europe, but his temprement and price scared people, no 3 again IMO the best young CD in the prem.

so we can get the people we want

• 51 catchy in norway // Oct 22, 2015 at 12:55 PM

ibiza

does it run in the family ?

maybe she just watches you 😉

• 52 Ibizatoon // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Catchy…They do say that dogs take after their owners, so I’ll probably have to just let that one slide 🙂

• 53 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:03 PM

Catchy
    I often find your view of the game and players miles apart from mine.

• 54 catchy in norway // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:06 PM

Ibiza

Haha I now have you as a sheep dog in my head

Blackie

On which players ?

• 55 Rob1971 // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Munster I think you may have been on about Scott Sellars, he scored with a free kick against them at St James

• 56 Rotonda heights // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:10 PM

OP

Insanity selling Abeid and kemen and for peanuts too. Tiote looks disinterested and colback is underwhelming.

• 57 martoon // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:10 PM

barkel @12 – It was supposed to be a joke – defo, maybe – but I think you missed it!
    Seriously Defoe would be a very good back up to Perez for when it just wasn’t happening for Perez or injury etc.

• 58 manxpie // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:10 PM

Catchy the ddifference is you blamed everything on pardew you even said it was the best squad ever which has been proved since to be rubbish as when he left how many people are saying we need this or that
    I said mclaren would be the best coach we will get under Ashley no chance of De boar or klopp coming here said it ages ago
    you really think De boar would come here?

• 59 Rob1971 // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:11 PM

Munster there was John Gallagher who was a scottish winger but he never scored against them

• 60 manxpie // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Plus i don’t get the viera love he’s never managed so Wat makes you think he would be good?

• 61 Ibizatoon // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:16 PM

Catchy….I suppose it could be worse.

I’ll try not to be offended 🙂

On facts vs thought, is it not possible that others believe they are forming their opinion (their thought) on what they see as facts? Is it not also possible, that you may have percived certains “facts” incorrectly?

When talking about a manager, surely you see it’s a minefield of opinion? For every bad manager stat (fact), someone could (and does) throw out not a definitive fact, but what can be argued as reasoning for why such facts occur. Much like you have been doing with Steve lately. That’s not a criticism by the way, just an attempt at some balance.

• 62 nut meg // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:20 PM

Munster
    Paul Stevenson? He didn’t score either…i don’t think.

• 63 barkel // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:32 PM

Ah martoon, I must’ve been sleeping! 🙂

Has everyone checked their email just got one from Schteve!

• 64 Ibizatoon // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:33 PM

barkel…I don’t reveieve them, can you post the content on here?

• 65 Mister Tuff // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Blackley – I would not like to take in the match being level with the sidelines difficult to get an overall perspective.
    I would think, especially for the younger supporter, that seeing players celebrate nearby is part of the experience. Having views blocked after a goal when everybody stands up will be more of a problem for the disabled supporter.
    Have you or why not take up this issue of stewards blocking disabled supporters views with Steve Storey the clubs DLO. I mean if the stewards at least moved around or stood further back views would be improved.
    Send Storey an email – he’ll reply to you no problem.

• 66 pawl250 // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:37 PM

Fixtures so far this season and up to end of November :-

1.Southampton (H) – 1 point
    2.Swansea (A) – 0 points – accumulated points 1 point
    3.Manchester Utd (A) – 0 points – acc. points 1 point
    4.Arsenal (H) – 0 points – acc. points 1 point
    5.West Ham (A) – 1 point – acc. points 2 points
    6.Watford (H) – 3 points – acc. points 5 points
    7.Chelsea (H) – 0 points – acc. points 5 points
    8.Manchester City (A) – 0 points – acc. points 5 points
    9.Norwich City (H) – 3 points – acc. points 8 points
    10.Sunderland (A) – 1 point – acc. points 9 points
    11.Stoke (H) – 3 points – acc. points 12 points
    12.Bournemouth (A) – 3 points – acc. points 15 points
    13.Leicester (H) – 3 points – acc. points 18 points
    14.Crystal Palace (A) – 1 point – acc. points 19 points

I have put what my predictions were at the start of the season. Realistic and fair I think. Funny that if we manage to win Sunderland (I have draw because they are spawny lucky gets) then we have the same number of points as what I would have said at this point in the season.

I had us predicted as a top 10 finish, just.

• 67 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Catchy
    I can’t be specific without trawling back. I just notice that I read certain posts and find myself thinking “where do they get that from?”. I then scroll up to see who’s written it and find often that it’s you. Not a problem with me. It would be dull indeed if we all had the same or similar views.

• 68 nut meg // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:40 PM

munster
    John Hendrie didn’t score but he’s scottish.

• 69 barkel // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:41 PM

It’s derby day on Sunday and the importance of this match is not lost on me or any of our players. Quite simply it is one of the most important days of the season.

We travel to the Stadium of Light at the weekend delighted to have our first win under our belts and looking to make it back-to-back victories. Needless to say it was imperative that we won last week and whilst we all said beforehand that we would have taken a scrappy one-nil win, the bonus for everyone at the club and, in particular, you the supporters, was that it was an exciting, entertaining game with some fantastic periods of play and of course terrific goals.

It was great to finally send everyone home happy and smiling after what has been a difficult start to the season.

Just as we refused to over-react to the defeat at Manchester City the week before, we have not over-reacted to the victory against Norwich. It was a step in the right direction, but that is all. No one is complacent. We have to ensure we deliver a consistency of high level performance not just over a number of games but also within games.

Gini took most of the plaudits after the game, and rightly so, but there were good performances all over the pitch which pleased myself and the coaching staff. However there were still areas we identified that need to be worked on and that’s what we’ve been concentrating on this week on the training pitch. We have to keep working hard and focussing one hundred percent on getting our preparation spot on for Sunday.

I don’t need reminding that we have lost the last five derbies and for everyone associated with the club that is simply unbearable. It wasn’t so long ago that we won five in row and we are desperately keen and hugely motivated to turn the tide and bring the points back to Tyneside. The atmosphere is always incredible and I think unique to the North East and we have to go there, stand up and be counted.

There’s no question that our players understand what it means to win the derby. A number of the squad have a great deal of experience of this particular game, but don’t forget that Mitro, Gini and Daryl have also played in huge derbies for their former clubs and the enormity of the occasion is not lost on any of them.

My message to the players is simple. Win every personal battle, handle the occasion and be disciplined. If we can do all that and put one or two of our chances away then we can come away with the positive result we all crave.

Sam Allardyce is a manager I’ve come up against in the past when he was with Bolton and I have huge respect for him. He gets the job done with a minimum of fuss and if you want to come out on top against one of Sam’s sides every part of your preparation and strategy has to be perfect. It’s his first home game with Sunderland and the crowd and players will be fired up. If we at least match that, I am confident the quality within this group will prevail.

Enjoy the game on Sunday and I sincerely hope that come 2pm on Sunday afternoon, we’ve given you a performance and result to be really proud of.

Steve

• 70 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Blackley,

while im sorry to hear about your son, id consider it a priveledge to help you push him up the hill if I make to the derby at SJP in March..

ill even buy you a pint for the honor…

• 71 optimistic prime // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Catchy/Rotonda

I’d take Shelvey in Jan, I like him as a player and it would knark Welsh 😉

• 72 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Tuff
    My son was on the opposite side of the pitch to me. When we scored I thought at least he’s getting a very good view of the players celebrating. Then a red coat stood up right in front of him.

When he sits further back (up a level), spectators walk past and the crowd in front jump up when there’s a goal opportunity.

I mentioned it to the chief steward in the 1892 club and he said he’d put it in his match report.

There’s been European nights where the opposition subs warm in a group right in front for several minutes at a time and you can’t see the action. The stewards are powerless.

I’ll bear that name in mind if it doesn’t improve. He doesn’t get to all the games. He’s been on the waiting list for years. Wor lass doesn’t really want to go to the match and I selfishly won’t give up my ticket because it will spoil my enjoyment.

• 73 Ibizatoon // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Barkel…Thanks.

• 74 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Dok
    Very kind. I hope you can get a ticket for it. I gather they’re very hard to come by.

• 75 Jib // Oct 22, 2015 at 2:00 PM

Munster
    Rob 1971 has it I think
    Scott Sellars
    Who despite his name was born in Sheffield

• 76 Jib // Oct 22, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Munster
    1992

• 77 Ian Toon // Oct 22, 2015 at 2:06 PM

View this online | Share this via facebook twitter

Newcastle UnitedNewcastle United Football Club

WE WON’T BE COMPLACENT

Win every personal battle, handle the occasion and be disciplined

Hi Ian,

Steve

Newcastle United Football Club

A message from Macca

Hi

Steve.

• 78 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 22, 2015 at 2:19 PM

Ian
    Did your dual personalities compete to post Steve’s message first?

Sorry Ian. Only joking. Couldn’t resist it.

• 79 optimistic prime // Oct 22, 2015 at 2:23 PM

Less words more action Steeve, your players need to do their talking on the pitch.

I wanna see it not hear it!

• 80 Mister Tuff // Oct 22, 2015 at 2:26 PM

Blackley – I would guess getting through the waiting list could take years due to the limited number of places.
    Make a bloody pre-emptive strike – ask Storey if there are any solutions to problems XYZ.
    No use speaking to the monkey when the organ grinder is available for you to contact. Storey is the Safety Officer as well as the Disability Liaison Officer – so he is in overall charge of the stewards.
    Sometimes it is the non awareness of the able bodied which creates problems for the disabled.
    Are the stewards aware of these problems if not they should be.

I emailed Steve Storey last season about another matter, and received a reply very very quickly. .
    (in direct contrast to that knacker Lee Marshall who just ignored my emails to him).
    You’ll be aware that NUDSA meets every month at SJP – get your concerns on the agenda!
    Might lead to an awareness campaign or re-enorce awareness policies.

• 81 Ian Toon // Oct 22, 2015 at 2:35 PM

Blackley- I laugh at it all the time!

• 82 catchy in norway // Oct 22, 2015 at 2:40 PM

Ibiza manx

you can say facts can be twisted into which ever argument it suits, but the FACT is not one person has came on here and defended Pardew with facts only what they think is the case from what they see.
    it was presented many times that pardew had his hands tied when it came to players, i always agued that the teams he was putting out where being hamstrung by his defensive philosphy on football, most of the time under pardew we played 3 DMC, and watched that ball sail over the MF heads, but if you listen to pardew ( which most did) he played on the front foot football, his side where always exciting , players would come in, get MOM on this blog for many games only to end up the bad guy, Abeid Anita HBA Marv are 4 names that spring to mind.

i stated very early on how we seem to be playing only to get stick from most on here for saying it, then to be proved right and then most turned against p45, at the end only a few like Manx , jimmy and not many more where still on the p45 bus, they use CP high up the league table as some sort of proof that we made a mistake chasing him out, but im pretty sure they have never watch a palace game, if they have they would see its pretty much the same as how he had us playing with lots back defending attacking with only a few up front, relying on bags of luck to get results,

in many ways it has been the other way round under Shteve, i do back him where most are against him, i see a huge difference in how we play, how we play the ball out, to

• 83 optimistic prime // Oct 22, 2015 at 2:48 PM

Catchy

Few rember it took Pardew 18months to ruin the spirit and togetherness Hughton installed in the squad.

A bit like judging him on his 5 game winning streaks instead of his longer losing streaks. People are far to quick to praise his Palace side when it’s still pretty much another managers signings doing the buisness.

We’ll see the real Pardew Palace next year, funny people are saying we should give Mclaren time to change our fortunes but can praise Pardew for what he’s supposedly done in a similar time frame.

• 84 toon kk // Oct 22, 2015 at 2:55 PM

The sad thing is every time we play I expect us to loose, unfortunately I’m usually right.
    Even when we’re a couple of goals up like flicking a switch we revert to lazy sloppy football.
    The team needs a revamp but in the meantime, concentration and work ethic much be kept high.

• 85 bladeuser // Oct 22, 2015 at 3:00 PM

Get a grip people if that had often a top eight team on the day it would have still been 6_2 but we would have got the two Norwich were wide open but we were worse the only difference was there strikers were ineffective jess we won one game again pathetic blinkered fans who know zero about football
    ASHLEY OUT
    SMAC out
    Colo out

• 86 John Tudor // Oct 22, 2015 at 3:14 PM

still not convinced a corner has been turned

• 87 toon kk // Oct 22, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Let’s not get carried away just yet folks, we’ve only won one game this season against fellow relegation candidates. Any team with pace and a better strike force will rip our poor squad to shreds. The Three/ four decent players wr have doesn’t make a team.

• 88 martoon // Oct 22, 2015 at 3:40 PM

bladeuser @81- If you read the comments after the game I think you’ll find that most of us ‘pathetic blinkered fans who know zero about football’ were saying our defensive frailties were still there and it was just as well that Norwich were just as bad. However what the victory has done is give the players and staff some confidence and eased the pressure which is why a lot of us are hoping to see improvement. The next team we play are also a poor team at the bottom of the league so it is not unrealistic to hope for a good result!

• 89 barkel // Oct 22, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Well said Martoon!

• 90 lesh // Oct 22, 2015 at 3:55 PM

If I can refer to the previous thread about McC’s ‘excellent man-management skills, there’s a nice little strip in today’s Guardian about Howard Kendall.

Playing away, he opened the dressing room window so his players could hear the travelling fans – ‘There now, that’s your team-talk’.

Simple yet effective – bless him.

• 91 lesh // Oct 22, 2015 at 3:56 PM

Joint top of the injury league’s not good enough.

Better get a few more to restore our lead!

• 92 lesh // Oct 22, 2015 at 4:00 PM

Blackleg & Brownlie

I once complained to Ed about certain posters and was banned!

There’s no justice, innit!

• 93 TroubledToon // Oct 22, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Anyone been keeping tabs on Abeid n Kemen after they left? How are they faring?

previous post: McClaren Demonstrates His Excellent Man-Management Skills