The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star Gives Heads Up To Fans

9:16 am, Friday, October 23rd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 79 Comments

After a little bit of a tumultuous start to his Newcastle career, Aleksandar Mitrovic is settling in well now – and he has scored an excellent goal in each of the last two matches for us.

A great header at Manchester City to put us 1-0 up and the a wonderful goal on Sunday to put us 4-2 up and clinch our first league win of the season.

aleksandar mitrovic -newcastle-norwich_3365622

Aleksandar Mitrovic – funny face

Aleksandar must now keep calm against Sunderland on Sunday although at the young age of 21 he points out he has already played in some highly emotional games for both Partizan and for Serbia in his short career.

This is what Mitro has said on the Newcastle web-site:

“Sunday is an important game for our fans and our Club, and I hope we can win,”

“There will be a lot of passion at the next game but I do not want to make the same mistake that I did against Arsenal, and do something stupid.”

“I want to stay on the level. I know they will try to provoke me, but I will keep my head strong and try to score goals and help my teammates.”

“It’s a derby. I am only 21 but I have played in a lot of big derbies, big games, and I can say I know how to play these games and score goals in them.”

“I hope I will continue with my goals and score in my first game against Sunderland.”

Good words from the 17 times capped Serbian International.

Mitro has now scored two goals in eight appearances for us and he is very much a team player and the Newcastle fans already love the youngster – who only recently turned 21.

He can improve an awful lot from where he is at the moment and that’s mind-boggling since he’s already a very good striker.

We could have a top striker on our hands and we have to say that goal he scored against Norwich on Sunday reminded us of a certain Alan Shearer – who just so happens to be Aleksandar’s idol.

Mitro has to behave himself at the Stadium of Light, and if he does that – as he says he will – he could be a match-winner for us on Sunday.

That would be terrific.

Tags: Aleksandar Mitrovic · Derby · Newcastle News · Premier League

79 responses so far ↓

• 1 barkel // Oct 23, 2015 at 9:26 AM

has mitro only turned 21? I haven’t seen any mention of it! 🙂

• 2 Jib // Oct 23, 2015 at 9:26 AM

It looks like McClaren is going back to Derby for his Mr reliable – Richard Keogh.

tuttumercato are generally on the money when it comes to transfers.

• 3 lesh // Oct 23, 2015 at 9:27 AM

Haway Villads!

• 4 lesh // Oct 23, 2015 at 9:28 AM

Mitro turned 21 in mid September

• 5 AncientC // Oct 23, 2015 at 9:29 AM

2 wins in 20 league games. What a time to start gloating.

• 6 barkel // Oct 23, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Aye, I did know, was a poor attempt at a joke! Ed seems to mention it in every article about him, it’s probably mentioned about 3 times in this one.

• 7 AncientC // Oct 23, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Pretty sure after the win against Norwich we have made it. It was tough for a while there.

• 8 nut meg // Oct 23, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Keogh is 29,which casts doubts on the story for me.

• 9 will die for the toon army // Oct 23, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Wen a rumour comes I first look at age then I can hope. 29 no way we will buy him

• 10 davetoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 9:50 AM

If we can win the derby it will not only be a great win for us but will put the mackems well and truly in the sh1t.

I bet they are counting on winning this game

• 11 Jib // Oct 23, 2015 at 10:05 AM

I wonder if an Italian journo got confused between this weekends “derby” and “derby” the footy club ?

• 12 will die for the toon army // Oct 23, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Steve Black shld install a winning mentallity and ambition in our team. We really have good players. and a very strong squad with some gaps but we will cover.

3 windows come 2016 we will b a top 8 club.

• 13 barkel // Oct 23, 2015 at 10:20 AM

wil die:-

Great how we’re willing to write off this season already! We still have to stay in this division for a “top 8” finish. What good is top 8 anyway? Means we’re a little bit better than half the teams. Target should be European qualification either by winning something or earned on league position, our ambition every year should be to win the league. I’m not saying we have the team to do it but surely that should be the ambition

• 14 will die for the toon army // Oct 23, 2015 at 10:43 AM

This is much of a transition season we have a lot to do. All the board have to do is make sure we keep our best players for the next 3 yrs. They talked abt 3 windows thats till next year.

May b they buy the players but the caoching team.have to install the playing formula into the players. We don’t need europe in these 3 yrs. We jst need to grow into a team. Top 10 finish for those 3 yrs is ok for us financially to build on and keep our best players. Then we can b able to build on from there.

Our progress as a club has been distracted by instant success that we didnt expect and expectations change among fans cahnges thinking we have reached were we want to b.

1. KK got us to 3rd in his first season and we were still growing as a club wen he left there was no foundation formed for long term.

2. Sir Bobby same thing as wat KK had.

3. Allan Pardew same thing and after we call him a poor manager.

4. We shld give Mcca a chance and we shld avoid unexpected success with no plan B.

• 15 will die for the toon army // Oct 23, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Look wat also happened to;

KK brought success which led to Hall and Shepherd to go to the bank to bankroll the success. Unexpected Success with no plan.

Allan Pardew took us to 5th and Europe. But MA had a plan to first cover the loss we made and Championship and make a club financially stable I give credit to him he stuck by it. We fought relegation but we have kept afloat and the Club is financially stable.

May b Pardew wasnt the right manager but I believe Mcca is.

• 16 barkel // Oct 23, 2015 at 10:55 AM

very well put my friend. I was just having a slightly hungover rant but all that makes sense and I can’t argue with it. The only downside I see to it is what do we say in a few seasons time if we still haven’t made progress, how long do we say we’re “in transition”? Are we confident that the owner/board has finally clicked and that this is the plan

• 17 barkel // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:00 AM

also on a side, did the fans forum go ahead last night? are we expecting minutes to be released today?

• 18 Roosta // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Mitro n Tiote, we need 11 on the pitch for 90 mins, Bit worried especially about wor Mitro.

• 19 cyprus // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:08 AM

I see the pundits are split on this. As they should be in all NUFC games. It depends on who shows up: Jekyll or Hyde

• 20 will die for the toon army // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:14 AM

I think Mitrovic is the player that has brought the team together?

• 21 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:17 AM

barkel…The club will release them when they’re ready, not a second sooner.

I wonder if one of the attendees will release theirs first? Don’t do it!

Willdie…All well and good, but at what point do you consider that the club was financially stable?

Didn’t the “loan” from Ashley increase to cover the cost of the Championship season, and doesn’t that “loan” remain as it was?

We’re making an operating profit, but that’s happened for a few seasons now. Mainly due to the increase of the TV deals and the clubs desire to make money, over ensuring we have had a competitive squad.

Hopefully that has changed now.

• 22 will die for the toon army // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Positives for the last 3 games. DLW = 4 points. Unbeaten at home. Played the top 2 teams in the league and brought them to their knees for 45mins.
    4-4-2 very good formation has suited the front 4 so well. The defence is still the problem crosses from the flanks.

The Front 4 have scored all the 9 goals and 7 assists among themselves.

So Mcca shld sort out the defence and Midfield lets hope Tiote and Colback can change the Midfield and create steel.

CAPT. COLO come back please.

• 23 lesh // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:26 AM

But Jib

Keogh’s 29 yrs old!

• 24 barkel // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:27 AM

will die:-

careful mentioning captain colo, a lot of people don’t like that!

• 25 lesh // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:27 AM

Ah! A joke…. Yes, I geddit now…

• 26 will die for the toon army // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:28 AM

I think MA cover the Shepherd loan. The loan foe championship was paid back to him.

• 27 lesh // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:30 AM

As Ibiza said, the Club’ll release the FF minutes when they been edited and approved to provide a true reflection of what might have happened!

• 28 will die for the toon army // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM

I have room for optimism this season. If we wld have signed a CB, this wld have been the most balanced team we wld have had in yrs.

• 29 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Will Die…That can be checked, so no biggy.

My point was more along the lines of that during that time of financially saving the club, we were turning a profit and still leaving the playing side of things short. More could, and should, have been done prior to this summer.

The other point is, we’re not financially stable, we have a large debt to Ashley from his “loan” to the club. We turn an operating profit. Like most PL clubs now.

• 30 martoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Ibiza @29 – From memory (no googling) I believe the original loan was £111m followed by an additional loan of £29m, when we were relegated, which Ashley said he would be taking back. So far I think he has reclaimed £11m leaving a balance of £129m – is that all 🙂

• 31 Jib // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:53 AM

The club website is unavailable at the mo’ they must be loading the minutes .
    After NUST pre-empted eveyone , when they were members of the forum , they now co-ordinate the release.

• 32 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:55 AM

martoon…I believe those figures are more or less correct, also from memory.

Bottom line is, he may not want to take back the loan whilst he owns us, but he has said he wants it back, so it can only be considered debt to the tune of £129m. Not sure that can be classed as finanically stable. Would it be “currently stable, for as long as Ashley is willing to leave his money sat there”?

• 33 will die for the toon army // Oct 23, 2015 at 11:58 AM

Once he stayz our owner, That debt will never b a problem for the Club. If only he cld off set off the advertising of Sportsdirect.

• 34 hibbitt // Oct 23, 2015 at 12:01 PM

will die……….why would he do that the debt is to ashley not sportsdirect

• 35 will die for the toon army // Oct 23, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Chelsea owe Ambromavic £1b. if he stays the owner its ok. it jst becomes a problem we selling the club.

• 36 will die for the toon army // Oct 23, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Hibbitt were does Sportsdirect then get the right to advertise at St. James. Those r different entities.

• 37 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 12:07 PM

will die…I believe I said that 🙂

I don’t think he has much intention of paying off the loan / debt, nevermind finding a way to write it off. It works out quite well for him and funnily enough SD, as has been confirmed.

• 38 will die for the toon army // Oct 23, 2015 at 12:21 PM

And besides it stays his fortune.

• 39 John Tudor // Oct 23, 2015 at 12:25 PM

anonymous hacks

• 40 Mister Tuff // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:17 PM

See the club website is still down. Probably haven’t paid their electric bill.

• 41 Thump // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Hang on, have I just read this right? Sun Jihai (Don’t remember him? Few would.) is to be inducted into the English Football Hall of Fame? And this all comes after a Chinese Presidential visit in which he surely had his hoop licked by Dave “Bacon Lover” Cameron, and visited Manchester…

Nothing dodgy going on there then…

• 42 Thump // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:21 PM

@martoon: The loans are right, but I don’t recall him ever taking the £11m back. Any sources for that mate?

• 43 Moonraker15 // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:37 PM

It’s early days but there’s no doubt we have 3 very good signings in Mitrovic, Mbemba and Wijnaldum who is pure class. I’m sure they will build on this and make significant signings in January. We also have Ayoze who is terrific and I think, touch wood, we are making progress it’s just a pity we haven’t got a strong DM and a dominant CB. Never mind I’m optimistic at last. Mitrovic is just a terrific player for us; he struck that goal with such confidence against Norwich it was Shearer-esq.

• 44 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Thump…I do recall something about a repayment, but can only really find this on it.

“The cost of relegation from the Premier League is thought to have cost another £30 million in interest free loans made by Ashley to fund an annual wage bill in excess of £40 million that gained immediate promotion from the Championship.

Figures released by Newcastle during their last set of accounts showed that at the end of the financial year 2011/12, the owner loans from Ashley to Newcastle stood at £129 million, having been reduced from the high of £140 million in 2010/11.”

• 45 barkel // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Well those figures back up what’s been said. I would hope that in the 3 years since that we have paid back some of that loan

• 46 Tinman // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Two new posts today, another tip to get your weekend off to a good start!

It’s funny how quickly the feel good factor can come back. A win against Sunderland and we will be flying

• 47 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:45 PM

“I can think of some fans on here who are the number two”

and jib/jeff/jane/ wonders why he/she/it gets slagged all the time…

• 48 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:46 PM

I think 4-0 toon, mitro x 2, ayoze, and wini to score…

• 49 John Tudor // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:46 PM

not exactly flying but coming above the water

• 50 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Barkel…As of the latest accounts (I believe for the 2013/14 season), it hadn’t been reduced from the £129m figure.

• 51 Tinman // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:47 PM

But if we go and stuff them, like I have a feeling we will, I’m sure you will be looking at the next few fixtures and wondering where we will lose

• 52 John Tudor // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:49 PM

nope only looking at one game at a time
    its a funny old game
    expecting at least a draw …fearing a defeat

• 53 Thump // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:50 PM

@Ibiza: Ahhh yes, I remember now. This blog was a fscking nightmare when that hit. Cheers for that.

• 54 Tinman // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Honestly can’t see how we will not beat them. They are crap. We have some good attacking players, there is always chances and just think we will take them with our confidence from Norwich

• 55 barkel // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Seems like a wasted opportunity from the clubs point of view but I suppose if I was the owner with a billion in my wallet I wouldn’t mind the added security of a 129million whenever I want it.

I like the renewed sense of optimism but lets not get carried away. I’m hoping we win on Sunday and would love to see us score a ton of goals but I don’t think it’ll be a walk in the park like some are suggesting. I’m going to the game, my first derby, so would be completely over the moon with a win

• 56 Tinman // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:53 PM

wtf is the link in your name!!!

• 57 firebug666 // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:55 PM

The team is starting to gel together, keeping hold of some of our better players will go a long way to helping the team settle together.

I am confident we will get all 3 points on Sunday, Sissoko has been poor in a team that was poor and void of any idea’s, 11 men on the field but no actual team in there.

Now we have that team, and the players are starting to develop good partnerships, and now Sissoko is starting to look like the player we all thought was in there, simply because we have started to get players forward and give him something to aim for.

• 58 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:57 PM

Thump…No worries. Out of interest, when wasn’t the blog “a fscking nightmare”? 🙂

Tinman…We should beat the mackems. Mind, I don’t think we should have lost the last 5 either.

I have to agree with John Tudor, 2 wins wont mean we’re flying quite yet. One thing I definitely agree with Steve on is not to overreact to one or two results, either way. There is still lots of work to be done.

• 59 Jib // Oct 23, 2015 at 1:59 PM

You’ll need one of these in the Stadium of Plight

• 60 John Tudor // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:00 PM

go there enjoy
    its what spys do

• 61 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:00 PM

firebug…I hope that is what we’re seeing in Sissoko, however, it’s not like it’s the first time he’s turned up for a game and had people scratching their heads as to why he doesn’t do it consistently.

Barkel…What seems like a wasted opportunity?

• 62 Thump // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:02 PM

@Ibiza: Around 2007 😉

• 63 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:03 PM

Thump…Now, what was significant about that year? Hmmm…. 🙂

• 64 Jib // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:04 PM

The Guardian’s teams

• 65 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:05 PM

Everyone can rest easily now… is back up and running…

Can’t see a mention of the FF meet yet.

• 66 firebug666 // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:09 PM

I agree, but then how many time did Sissoko make one of his powerful runs forward, only to find there was nobody up there with him of if the was is was the lonely figure of Cisse or Riviere surrounded by opposition defenders.

How many time have we got into the final third in an attack and then played the ball backward, sometimes all the way to the keeper.

I think Sissoko plays well if he has players around him trying to offer options, as he does with France.

Perez, Mitrovic and Wijnaldum offer those options now, and we look a much better team.

Sissoko (if on form) will be the key to us winning the game on Sunday.

I’v gone for a 3-0 Toon win.

• 67 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:13 PM

firebug…It will be interesting to see. Hopefully that is the case.

A 3 nil win (for us) would be amazing and most welcome.

• 68 firebug666 // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Plus I share an allotment with a makem, and I’m sick of just putting weed killer on his cabbages lol, I wan’t some proper revenge, and the only way to get that is to win the game. 😀

• 69 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:19 PM

firebug…Ha ha. Hopefully there is no need for weed killer come Monday.

If there is, it might be best to move from the cabbages and just go to source and end the misery.

Only joking. Honest I am.

• 70 barkel // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:20 PM

I think it was a missed opportunity to pay off some of the debt, we were fairly healthy financially in that time. Imagine what we could do with a self sufficient, debt free club. There’d be people queuing up to buy us!

I think I’ll need more than that, I’m in with the home fans. Couldn’t get a ticket for the away end and my mate is a mackem. We’re heading up from London tomorrow

• 71 Ibizatoon // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:25 PM

Barkel…Ah yes. I’m interested to understand why it’s better to make a profit, and therefore pay tax, than to pay off some of this loan and make the club more attractive to potential buyers.

I’m sure it’s not to make us un-attractive to potential buyers…

• 72 firebug666 // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:25 PM

PMSL: I thought about it, but I don’t like communal television.

Seriously though it’s time to stop the rot and show them who the real top dogs are in the North East, they have been pretenders far to long.

Like us they will be fighting tooth and nail to get out of relegation trouble, Both sides will be at it hammer and tongs from the start, and the winner (us 3-0) will be the team that makes the fewest mistakes.

This fixture has the makings of either a very good game, or a bloodbath given the relative league positions.

Roll on Sunday.

• 73 barkel // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Maybe Ashleys accountants figured out a way to have it deemed a charitable donation and registered for giftaid? It’s all I can think of

• 74 Hail Wor Ashley // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:32 PM

Most haggard, oldest looking 21-year-old I’ve seen in pro football, but that just adds to his menace and character. You know he’s been through some crap and had a few scraps in his time!

• 75 Jib // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:37 PM

Shola’s got himself a contract at Bolton Wanderers .
    Well done , all the best Shola lad 🙂

• 76 welshgeordie9 // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Had a dream last night that we beaten the mackems with a 2nd half penalty.

• 77 welshgeordie9 // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:50 PM

Now that would be nice.

• 78 Jib // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:51 PM

It makes me laugh when folk say “will Mitro be able to handle the derby !”
    He’s played for Serbia v Albania , real hate filled occasions.

• 79 barkel // Oct 23, 2015 at 2:58 PM

I was thinking the same Jib, I’d say the main worry for seeing red will be Colback

previous post: Top Newcastle Player Tweets Support Of Supporters