The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star – We’ll See What Happens In The Future

8:01 am, Saturday, October 24th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 9 Comments

Fabricio Coloccini has been talking about what happened in the summer at Newcastle and this time he has been talking to Sky Sports.

To a large extent how Newcastle will fare until January is very much dependent on how Coloccini plays at the back and when he’s in form we are quite solid – as he showed at Old Trafford at the beginning of the season where he was Man of the Match in the  0-0 draw, after we had got off to a rocky start.

coloccini tackles memphis

Fabricio Coloccini tackles Memphis at Old Trafford

Alan Pardew’s Crystal Palace were one of the clubs definitely interested in Coloccini and the rumors were they were willing to offer the 33 year-old a three year deal and in the end Newcastle added a year to his contract.

That means he has two years left on Tyneside and he will have spent nine years with the club at that time and it’s a good question whether he will continue playing at Newcastle or somewhere else after June, 2017.

This is what Coloccini told Sky Sports:

“There were a few opportunities and offers to leave the club.” “So I went to the club and said: ‘I want to stay but it’s up to you if you want me to be part of the new project with the new manager’.”

“I said I want to be here, and they wanted me here so it wasn’t difficult to get the deal.” “It’s good to have that.“I’m 33 and it means I have been doing good things during my career.”

“I don’t know if I’ll end my career here.”  “I never think into the future.” “I think in the present and enjoy this time.” “Time flies, and if you are thinking about the future you can’t enjoy the present.”

“I’m enjoying the present and being in the club, and the training ground.” “The future?“We will see what happens.”

We are hoping that Newcastle will bring in a top center-back in January – maybe even Joel Matip of Schalke – and if that happens it’s up to Coloccini to see if he can keep his place.

But Newcastle have been weak at center-back for some time now and it’s time to bring in a top young center-back who can partner Chancel Mbemba as the future central defense partnership at Newcastle.

Jamaal Lascelles and Paul Dummett are also two players already at the club who can force their way in at center-back if they play well enough.

What do you think?

Tags: Chancel Mbemba · Contracts · Fabrice Pancrate · Jamaal Lascelles · Newcastle News · Paul Dummett · Transfer News and Rumours

9 responses so far ↓

• 1 sing in the corner // Oct 24, 2015 at 8:05 AM

I think the phrase that springs to mind is ‘rewarding failure’.

• 2 sing in the corner // Oct 24, 2015 at 8:10 AM

Contract extension and continue as capo. A double whammy cock up decision, up there with giving Carver the head coach job.

• 3 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 24, 2015 at 8:11 AM

I have no problem with Colo staying here – it’s Willo and Saylor I wanted moved on…

…but it doesn’t change the fact that a new CB should have been brought in!

• 4 Jail for Ashley // Oct 24, 2015 at 8:13 AM

He obviously ha unseen qualities, I think BandB’s theory about him helping to weed out players with personality holds a lot of weight.

• 5 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 24, 2015 at 8:13 AM

I agree when you look to the future with a new manager and so on, then change the Captaincy!

…sadly it’s not the new start at Newcastle at all!

• 6 sing in the corner // Oct 24, 2015 at 8:19 AM

I have to say it points that way when you rule out everything else. What were they looking at last season? It was clear to see that his bolt was well and truly shot. Maybe you’re right, he’s a company man.

I think Saylor is a better, more solid defender than the Colo of today is. Obviously he has to be on the pitch for more than a quarter of a season to make that happen!

• 7 Jib // Oct 24, 2015 at 8:27 AM

I know it seems a paradox but teams that have a decent defense tend to concede a few penalties in a season , it’s a commitment and determination thing.
    There is not one penalty out of the 19 goals we have conceded in the league , in fact the only pen conceded this season was in the comfortable win against Northampton.
    I think this is a left over from previous coaches and I’m sure is being worked on .
    Someone said the other day they were close enough to him to hear Carver bellow “Divvent tackle him” – that’s not coaching and sends out the wrong signals.

Sometimes in defense you just have to take risks and hope the ref views you favourably.

• 8 Jail for Ashley // Oct 24, 2015 at 8:31 AM

Just went to buy myself an NUFC coffee cup on e bay and sh1t loads of Rangers merchandise came up as well ???

• 9 nut meg // Oct 24, 2015 at 8:38 AM

Funny you should mention penalty’s,I’ve been thinking over the last few days that they could well be penalty’s in this game with all the holding /shirt tugging / arm grabbing etc. .Corners & free kicks will see a lot of bodies in the box jockeying for position,could be a bit spicy in there.

previous post: Prediction From Former Newcastle Manager – Liverpool Legend