The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Mark Lawrenson Predicts Sunderland – Newcastle Score

9:09 am, Sunday, October 25th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 60 Comments

Mark Lawrenson was a coach when Kevin Keegan was the manager at Newcastle in the 1990s,  when our side were called the Entertainers because of the attacking way we played the game.

He´s ended up at BCC Sport as a pundit and rightly predicted last week that Newcastle would pick up our first win in the league against Norwich at home – a 6-2 win.

Mark Lawrenson today

Mark Lawrenson – draw

This is what Mark has said about today´s game at Sunderland – which kicks off in three hours time:

“This is the fixture that Sunderland keep winning – they have won the last five – but they keep losing their manager a few months later,” “I think it will be a different outcome this time, though.”

“Newcastle looked good going forward when I watched them beat Norwich 6-2 but that result was far better than their performance – defensively I do not fancy them. “

“I don’t think new Black Cats boss Sam Allardyce will look to open them up too often, though. He will be looking to keep things tight and I think Newcastle will tighten up too – they really have to,”

Sunderland find it difficult to score goals with only eight goals in their first nine games, but they usually can score when they play Newcastle – which they have obviously done in the last five games – all wins.

Today´s result will depend a lot on how our defense plays – if we can tighten it up then we have a chance of a result.

We´d be happy enough with a draw to end the winning streak of Sunderland, but we really need to win today and if we can do that we will move out of the bottom three.

Almost 70% of fans think we will win this game.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Sunderland?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Derby · Newcastle News · Prediction · Premier League · Pundit

60 responses so far ↓

• 1 John Tudor // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:12 AM

get in quick before the shite meister gets in

• 2 Average_Contents // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:13 AM

As BandB surmises, he’s the “company man” in the dressing room, weeding out defectors and dissedents for the regime.

I also see this as the only explanation as to why he’s still here,undroppable, still captain and got that ludicrous 2 year extension.

Feeling optimistic for today but also wary because they haven’t won yet, have hippo heed as their new toy and we all know how he likes to get one over on us the bitter b*****d and always seem up for it unlike us.

We need to be switched on big time and take the game to the unwashed. Play without fear and don’t rush it, the goals will come. I just hope colamity doesn’t turn his back when blocking any shots (that’s if he’s close enough to any of their players in the first place) sissoko NEEDS to put in a good performance because for far too long he’s been consistently inconsistent.

Perez and mitro will always work hard and create space for others so it’s just about the support they receive in the attacking third.

Let’s smash em!

• 3 John Tudor // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:13 AM

Three friends married women from different parts of the world…..
    The first man married a Greek girl. He told her that she was to do the dishes and house cleaning. It took a couple of days, but on the third day he came home to see a clean house and dishes washed and put away…..
    The second man married a Thai girl. He gave his wife orders that she was to do all the cleaning, dishes and the cooking. The first day he didn’t see any results but the next day he saw it was better. By the third day he saw his house was clean, the dishes were done, and there was a huge dinner on the table…..
    The third man married a girl from County Durham . He ordered her to keep the house cleaned, dishes washed, lawn mowed, laundry washed, and hot meals on the table for every meal. The first day he didn’t see anything, the second day he didn’t see anything either but by the third day, some of the swelling had gone down and he could see a little out of his left eye and his arm was healed enough that he could fix himself a sandwich and load the dishwasher. He still has some difficulty when he urinates…..

• 4 Munster Mag // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:25 AM

Nice one john :). Feck i drank too much whilst doing all the cooking last night. At least i didnt batter the wife :). Oh me heed u have me laughing. Howay the lads

• 5 Jib // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:27 AM

I’m quite sure McClaren and his coaches and Colo himself are aware if his shortcomings .
    The reason for his retention was more about reducing team upheaval than anything else.
    Wittering on about him like blackley and jail for ashley is pointless.
    Get behind the team

• 6 Grafton83 // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:30 AM

I would love to be wrong but all the evidence I see suggests we won’t be taking and points home with us.

The Norwich game was a bit of a one off but perhaps there is a glimmer of hope coming from that and our 1st half against City.

Overall though we know we will conseed goals, our defense is just terrible. 99% of fans would have to agree we can’t rely on keeping a clean sheet which brings me to the next problem, we can’t score either.

Apart from one game have we ever really looked that much of a threat upfront. Goals have been few and far between.

I hope I’m wrong, I really do but I think we’ll lose and I don’t trust our players to keep their disapline either.

• 7 SUTTY1978 // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:33 AM

Jib, if they are aware of his shortcomings why did they give him a new contract. McClaren says they kept him because they could not find a better available defender in the world. They obviously didn’t look very hard!

• 8 worthing magpiee // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Although mitro hasn’t played a Tyne and Wear derby before, I think he will be the one to fire up the lads today, something we’ve lacked the last 5 performances,looking forward this today, 2-0 to the tooooooon!!!!

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Stop taking the high and mighty then whinging to Ed you pi$$ ant !

• 10 Tsunki // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Ha ha JT an old classic reworked nice one!

• 11 firebug666 // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:36 AM

I’m still going for a Toon win today, On Coloccini, well if he showed a little bit of pride and passion for the team, and if he manned up and took on defenders instead of just standing there or turning his back on shots, I’m pretty sure he would not get such a battering on here.

Today better be they day he has a good game, he is due one, and lets face it this derby is his first in a long time, so today it’s time for Coloccini to step up to the plate.

• 12 SUTTY1978 // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:36 AM

Grafton. We have looked a threat since Mitro came back in the team. We scored 2 against Chelsea, 1 against city but had one incorrectly ruled out for offside and had a couple of other really good chances and then 6 against Norwich.
    Mitro is the key to us getting goals, I agree we looked hopeless going forward without him.

• 13 Lee Dodd // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:38 AM

I can feel it we will win today Probabkly 3-1 and stuff them Once and for all !!!!

• 14 Tsunki // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:42 AM

I voted win but then I always do. 😐

• 15 Tsunki // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:43 AM

We could do with one of the neanderthals being sent off to ease the pressure

• 16 catchy in norway // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:43 AM

munster from my post yesterday.

your reply to my factual post made me laugh, so it did

you bring fnas and pundidts in to the argument like its a fact because some palace fan or villa fan thinks we are being unfair to him, now lets just look at that, all of these you bring into this for your argument are only looking in from the outside, they do not have to put up with the overly defensive football or just plain gibberish the guy speaks after and before matches, i could counter your argument with lets listen to other clubs fans who have had him as a manager, a lot of Chalton and West ham fans have pretty much the same view as me and many more like me.

Pundits, come on give me a break ask man u fans what they thought of Moyes, ask liverpool fans what they though of Rodgers, then ask pundits, its like chalk and cheese what they think. Moyes has lumbered Man u with a over the hill Rooney on £300k a week and they will never shift him, now they have a manager with pedigree the same as Liverpool. Pundits never have a bad word to say about any ex player.

you talk about him winning LMA MOTY, that was a personal achievement, the 5th place, was great if you like looking at tables and not watching football, because for most of that season the ball sailed over our MF straight to BA, then the african cup kicked in, we were shocking, Cisse joined and we played football for about 7 games but only with 3 players Cisse HBA Cabaye, Ba was stuck out on the left and could not get involved in the games because it was a position he simply could not play in.
    on that point players in natural positions , the players complained to him about being played out of position and playing defensive football, and it is documrented that BA COLO JONAS and CABAYE had a meeting with him to try and change the way we played.

Jonas was never the best left winger, but he was a threat, instead of him attacking he ended up drropping into a DMC position and santon would be LB and LW

Cisse is not a RW, he is not even a good footballer, he is only a finisher, stuck on the RW. only to accommodate a huffy BA who we all new was looking to leave and would not sign a new contract.

HBA was made to look like a villain, but i remember P45 saying that i see him as a number 10 then do his best to try and turn him into a defensive winger and not basically attack. Pardew telling us fans that HBA was injured only for HBA to come out and say no i want to play. HBA being dropped for Gouffy or Obertan.

young fergy is not the greatest, granted, but IMO he was a more solid choice than both Obertan and Sammy on the left wing, simply becasuse he would run up and down and was the best crosser of the 3, P45 even said the boy can peel oranges with that left foot, what ever that means.

one cup game, it was a mix of youth and seniors, the youth in the team were trying and the seniors were going through them motions, yet he came out and slated the kids and not a word about his purples.

look at our corners and free kicks no imagination no goals,

you say he left Carver in solid nick, no he didnt, the damage was done, he had had his winning run, which he had about the same time every season, but the rot had already set in because we had a losing mentality, so much defending, so many lucky wins by individual bits of skill. our game plan was hit the 1 forward with a long ball or one player burst from MF to help the lone forward.

for lage parts of his time at the club, it looked like he had lost the players, thats not just what i think , thats also what these so called pundits you say were on his side where saying.

sack pardew was a great site, it collated all the things he did wrong and put them together in a neat package so no one could deny them.

now please dont miss undrestand me, i was not expecting us to go out and try and smash team of the pitch 5 or 6, go gung hoe against the so called top 4, i actually think he had a good record against these “better teams” my gripe has always been what we do against teams in the bottom 10 and most other teams at home, to play 10 behind the ball at home against teams like Norwich, Palace, Villa, is just plain criminal but thats why we were nearly relegated by him twice.

Ashley does have his part to play in this, for sure he does, but in my honest opinion, Pardew was given the players to comfortably finish top 10 in every season he was with us, and also play a more exciting brand of football.

one last thing, yes he saved palace last season, but i have watched them 2 times , and there on the same path he took us, they were lucky to win both games, city absolutely battered them, palace had 2 shots 2 goals and Norwich this season were the better team, but individual bits of skill rather than team play won the game

• 17 Tsunki // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:44 AM

The blog tick needs to be ignored today.

• 18 firebug666 // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:44 AM

It’s the first time this season I’ve voted for a win, I think we have too much quality for them.

If we turn up with the passion and desire to win this game we will win.

• 19 Small World // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:44 AM

John Tudor // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:13 AM
    – Top Post :0)

Grafton83 // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:30 AM
    – Show some faith. Although I agree totally with your concerns, using evidence at hand – there is little to suggest Sunderland will win. They haven’t won a game this season.

My two pennies worth :-

McClaren and the team will know if they’ve had a *really* good first 45 minutes if there are 25,000 empty seats at half time. Close followers of North east football will know what I mean :0)

I’m expecting close game and hopefully we’ll edge it. Finishing with 11 on the pitch and really taking the game to Sunderland will help. It shouldn’t be too difficult – we’ve only ever had 1 red card in the history of the fixture (unfortunately we all know who that was). As a team, they’re far too slow to catch us on the counter attack. Sitting back and inviting them on to us hasn’t helped in the last few games. Fortune favour the brave..

• 20 Tsunki // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Don’ mess wit da Catchaaaaa!!!

• 21 Mister Tuff // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:48 AM

Just cannot see us getting beat today – so a 3 -1 win.
    we’ll have to put up watching Hippo Heed chewing his gum, opened mouthed, he’s a vulgar fellow.

• 22 Mister Tuff // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:54 AM

tsunki – good shout @ 16 – was nearly tempted but as you say best ignoring him.
    Might be difficult though later on after he’s quoffed some cheap cider.

• 23 catchy in norway // Oct 25, 2015 at 9:57 AM

i can see us scoring 2-3 goals today

• 24 sing in the corner // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:00 AM

I was interested to see the Quinny love in earlier threads. NO WAY! The blokes a Mackem and therefore tarnished. I was in the gallowgate end when he headed it in, wheeled away, against gullit’s team with shearer sat behind him on the bench.. I don’t care if he’s nice to his granny and chatted on to your mam at the races. He sits there every derby unable to keep the glee out of his voice at every misplaced toon pass, every groan from the crowd. he rubs it in to you every chance he gets and talks utter biased shoyte, and sky plonk him on every time we are playing to wind us up. Doesn’t work like, as you can see. 🙂 Radio Newcasftle commentary and sky visuals, if he starts again this aft.

• 25 firebug666 // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:07 AM

I could never make a judgement on Quinny like that, He is a poor pundit IMO, but that does not make him a bad man.

I have an allotment share with a makem, today we will avoid each other, tomorrow we will still be friends, and if we win I will stop pouring weed killer on his cabbages.

The point being, Quinny is Scumberland through and through, and so you would expect bias from him. I dare say a few on here have friends who are makems, win lose or draw they are still friends.

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:07 AM

Well said pal !

• 27 Munster Mag // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Catchy this is a P free day so i will come back to u tomorrow. I think u understand that i am still glad he is gone. I hate fat sam with a vengeance and now that he is with the filth….2-2 today. So glad we have passionate players like nitro and perez in the team. Oh i forgot they are foreign. Alan brazil. What a tool. Htl

• 28 John Tudor // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:12 AM

who is the ref

• 29 firebug666 // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:15 AM

Robert Madley I think…

• 30 Munster Mag // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Sitc.. Surely u shud blame gullit for that not quinn. If we beat them there is no need to listen to all he says, hoping he sleights us. He wont as he has huge respect for nufc and has said so on TV. He is entitled to have strong emotions for the mack and tacks. But i will hate him today obviously as he annoys me on derby day but only because i am sensitive. I cant see us keeping a clean sheet and fat sam will have tightened them up. 2-2 if we play well. Guys like nitro will become gods on tyneside if he scores a winner.

• 31 catchy in norway // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Munster Mag

fair enough 🙂

i have Perez as my Triple captain on me fantasy team, i have faith.
    i think both him and Mitro have a good understanding, i just think that perez will be to quick for them, Mitro will be to strong. and Shteve attacks with 4 up to supported by wingbacks ISH 😉

• 32 stuart no9 // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:22 AM

One good result last week didn’t make us world beaters . It was there for all to see last week . If I had to predict a result away from home today I would say a loss was on the cards , however Today is different . A derby we desperately need to win , still buzzing from last week , some inform players starting for us today against a Shyte side . 1-2 would make it a perfect weekend .i say 1-2 God we will concede

• 33 stuart no9 // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:22 AM

Coz **

• 34 John Tudor // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:24 AM

he has seen a few away sides win lol

• 35 Lindisfarne // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:29 AM

Highly likely that Collo will pull up with a bad back in the warm up after playing every game this season, or in the first half hour. Although being in the team that will possibily win successive games may appeal to his ego and the ssense he has of himself as doing the right thing.

• 36 firebug666 // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:30 AM

He has also given the makems a few yellow cards I think.

Will be a good game today…..or a bloodbath!

• 37 Jail for Ashley // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:31 AM

Has anyone heard from toonbotherer after he made his bet !

• 38 firebug666 // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:32 AM

He’s not been on for a while now, unless he has a new name.

• 39 John Tudor // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:37 AM

• 40 Magpie Season // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Does anyone know what time the match is on in Sydney?

It says 10pm but it can’t be since team sheet is not out yet.

I think you guys put your clocks back & we put ours forward a week ago has made everything confusing.

• 41 Jail for Ashley // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:43 AM

Certain people can’t change their names and get away with it, I think fo sho that toonbotherer would fall in to that catergory.

• 42 bladeuser // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:44 AM

This statement will b even more relevant after the match

• 43 Jail for Ashley // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:45 AM

That really would depend on the time difference between the two countries, as the clocks went back this morning it would either be nine or eleven o clock PM

• 44 firebug666 // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:45 AM

Magpie Season

Kick Off is @ 12pm GMT

• 45 Jail for Ashley // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Don’t you think we’ll win then !

• 46 optimistic prime // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:47 AM

The trip into toon is killing me.
    Need a pint to settle the nerves.

• 47 Jail for Ashley // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Magpie Season,
    There is an eleven hour time difference, were you just making conversation or is your search engine knackered ?

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:50 AM

I can’t have a pint till Thursdat

• 49 Jail for Ashley // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:51 AM

Team sheet is out in nine minutes

• 50 Jail for Ashley // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:52 AM

What time does coverage start I might slope off to my room now :O

• 51 geordielad880 // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:57 AM

Side for today:-

sissoko——-de jong——-colback—wijnaldum

• 52 firebug666 // Oct 25, 2015 at 10:59 AM

Colback booed of the team bus by the makems eh!

• 53 angelswithdirtyfaces // Oct 25, 2015 at 11:00 AM

What is truly shameful Jeff is the sheer arogance of a poster suggesting what can and cannot be discussed on an open forum.
    I have been following the Colo debate with interest – given our abysmal defensive record the dybanisc of how the captain interacts with other players is of criitical interest.
    As for the ridiculous connect to not supporting the team for the derby you’re back with your straw men.

Are you on a PR retainer from NUFC to top up yer pension? You always seem to spout the party line.

I think it’ll probably be decided by a single goal margin and whoever scores first will try to soak up the pressure – just like Pardew unsuccessfully did for so long. But if we get one up then the killer goal would be the second. That’d see the unwashed off. So a fast start and no fifteen minutes to settle into the game is the order of the day. A cool head is needed. And good counteratacking – so Sissoko must have a good game

• 54 angelswithdirtyfaces // Oct 25, 2015 at 11:00 AM

• 55 firebug666 // Oct 25, 2015 at 11:00 AM

#nufc Elliot, Janmaat, Mbemba, Coloccini, Dummett, Sissoko, Colback, Tiote, Wijnaldum, Perez, Mitrovic

• 56 angelswithdirtyfaces // Oct 25, 2015 at 11:01 AM

• 57 firebug666 // Oct 25, 2015 at 11:02 AM

#nufc subs: Woodman, Haidara, Lascelles, Anita, Thauvin, De Jong, Cisse #safc

• 58 Rotonda heights // Oct 25, 2015 at 11:02 AM

Krul ????????

• 59 Bobbybee // Oct 25, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Sitc, I’m with you 100% on that horrible worm Quinn. Yes, i’m sure he’s done wonders for the mackens – even more reason to dislike him – but why he constantly gets wheeled out for our games is beyond me. He dislikes us as much as any smackheed from Pennywell so why pretend different. He tries to come over all nicey- nicey but his mask always slips at some point. I really hope we wipe that smug look off his face today and batter his team – peedo’s especially. The fact he can still support Adam Johnson says everything about him. Still, common practice over there innit? Nothing to see here folks, move along, just some milionaire footballer properly abusing his position with schoolgirls. F#ck Quinn. F#ck Johnson, f#ck the loT of them. Howay the lads, SMASH THEM. 😉

• 60 geordielad880 // Oct 25, 2015 at 11:22 AM

rotonda, lol force of habit, elliot for krul

previous post: Wijnaldum Could Move To A Bigger Club