The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Should Win Appeal Over Coloccini Red Card

1:22 pm, Monday, October 26th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 53 Comments

As Steve McClaren said immediately after the game yesterday at Sunderland Newcastle have now reported they have formerly lodged an appeal with the FA against captain Fabricio Coloccini’s red card.

Coloccini was sent off just before half-time after the referee Robert Madley adjudged Colo to have fouled Steven Fletcher in the box and he was then sent off.

coloccini red card sunderland

Fab Coloccini being sent off

The foul was questionable, but the sending off was even more questionable because if has to be an obvious goal scoring opportunity and it wasn’t clear that the fouled Steven Fletcher would have reached the ball before goalkeeper Rob Elliot – who came out fast.

So because of that it couldn’t have been an obvious goal-scoring opportunity.

In fact, he wouldn’t have when you look at the TV replays and even experienced referee Graham Poll has questioned the sending off.

Poll thought it was a penalty, but it should have only been a yellow card.

Of course this doesn’t much help Newcastle – if the referee looked at a quick TV replay (like viewers were doing) he would have seen it should have been a yellow card – and maybe not even a penalty.

This is the Newcastle United statement:

“Newcastle United have lodged an appeal with the Football Association for the wrongful dismissal of Fabricio Coloccini during Sunday’s Tyne-Wear derby match against Sunderland at the Stadium of Light.

“Coloccini was given a straight red card by referee Robert Madley in first half injury time following an incident involving Steven Fletcher, which resulted in the awarding of a penalty kick.

“The appeal will be heard by a Regulatory Commission on Tuesday afternoon and the club will be notified of the result shortly afterwards.

“Should the dismissal stand, United’s captain will miss Saturday’s Premier League fixture with Stoke City at St. James’ Park.”

This kind of sending off is only a one game suspension and is an example of what’s called  “triple punishment.”

The player already has given away a penalty and is sent off in the game and it was felt that three games out was too much punishment – given he has already had two strikes against him – so to speak.

In fact the rule may be changed even further and the penalty and the sending off could be all the punishment given in the future and no one game suspension will be given.

The sending off certainly turned the game but with 11 men Newcastle would have still been in with a chance against a very poor Sunderland side who we completely dominated in that first half.

As Sam Allardyce said after the game – we were given a gift and we took it.

We think Newcastle have an excellent chance to get this overturned – especially since it essentially lost us the game yesterday.

Tags: Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

53 responses so far ↓

• 1 ilovetoon8788 // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:25 PM

Hope his appeal stands and means 3 match suspension. We might actually have a better pairing with Williamson and Mbemba. Colocinni is full of mistakes and sitting out might actually get his act together abit.

• 2 Thump // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:26 PM

I can’t see how we could fail. Laws of the game say shoulder to shoulder is fine, and while Colo may have been a little to enthusiastic, it was Elliot’s ball to win all day long. When I saw the red come out I was legitimately shocked because while he may have been the last man in a (potential) goal scoring opportunity, Elliot must have been favourite to win the ball – it was a 50/50 at best.

The penalty I can understand (stand by it being the wrong call, but I understand it all the same) but a red as opposed to a yellow? Nah.

• 3 catchy in norway // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:30 PM

if we had 11 on the pitch. scumdeland would never have scored from open play,
    they struggled to get out there own half

• 4 catchy in norway // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:33 PM

• 5 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:36 PM

Vardy and Mitrovic upfront would be unreal I think.

• 6 sparky55 // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:43 PM

SH!T B@ST@RD BOLL@X..if we win that appeal we’re well and truly fcuked cos SM will play him against Stoke without question.

Just can’t understand why he can’t see how bad he is…it’s a worry IMO

• 7 jimmysmith // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:43 PM

Colo made no attempt to win the ball. He just shouldered the Mackem in the box, off the ball. It was a foul, and so a pen, and arguably denied a goalscoring opportunity. Strongly arguable.

The ref didn’t have to give it, but he did. Surely to overturn the decision, it has to be clearly wrong, and to be honest, that looked a pen all day to me. Nowhere near the ball, and in the box.

• 8 Roger // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:46 PM

Fletscher is a dirty bastard, he will burn in hell.
    This was never a foul and never a Penalty and never a red card. The Referee is an idiot. Newcastle the better
    Now we beat Stoke at home.

• 9 sirjasontoon // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:47 PM

It was a penalty,Collo is shit and so is McClaren.
    Full STOP.

• 10 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:47 PM

I think the pen was understandable but the red was a joke. Hope it’s upheld mind.

I’m still more in shock how Cattermole never saw a card, I can’t understand it.
    Even if it was only for continuous fouls.

• 11 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Has the true Geordie made his video yet?

• 12 Mag52 // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:54 PM

I’ve not been a fan of Colo for some time now, although I felt he got a raw deal from the ref. yesterday, and I’d be happy to see Dummett take his place against Stoke to see how he and Mbemba get on as a defensive partnership.

• 13 bettyswallocks // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:54 PM

Catchy…….. I have to agree that the style of play under McC is far more pleasant to watch. We now have more options in the last third to find someone to pass to, so Sissocko is now not continually running into blind alleys.

It’s true that Pardew was trying to emulate his hero Mourinho and put the emphasis on defending and tracking back then relying on a piece of individual skill to Nick a goal and shut up shop. There was no consistent method to our attacking play as there is now.
    Even when Jose is winning with his team of megastars, it’s not that nice to watch.

We have been campaigning on here for years for a better brand of football and although there is still much to be done we are closer now than for a long while.

• 14 toonincheek // Oct 26, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Really don’t see anyt chance of the red card beinbg rescinded.

Shoulder b/ch-arges, and what constitutes a goal scoring opportunity, are left to the discretion of the ref.
    There is no way a refs judgement would be overturned.

• 15 sparky55 // Oct 26, 2015 at 2:02 PM

My thoughts exactly…and if dummett gets in there and plays well for a couple of games it might make SM think twice about putting Colo back in.

I would also try putting mbabu in at right back, janmaat in at right half (sorry old school I know!) and Sissoko in the CDM role along with Anita and Winji on the left and try SDJ in the hole and have Perez come on as an impact sub if not all going to plan.

I don’t think thauvin will be a legitimate threat until early next year and he is painfully slow which is a big problem defensively. His skill going forward is enough to get him round people but his lack of pace going back is a worry. Great dead ball payer allegedly which should always come in useful

One for the future perhaps 🙂

• 16 lesh // Oct 26, 2015 at 2:10 PM

Interesting that the Guardian’s reporting Remy Garde as favourite to replace Sherwood at Villa.

Interesting because the Villa owner’s trying to sell the club but unlike Ashley, has gone for a long-term appointment. He obviously sees the benefit of keeping his club in the Prem whereas Ashley’s gone for the cheapest options in Kinnear and latterly Carver.

You can bet your boots that unlike Ashley, whoever’s appointed will, like Allardyce, be given money to spend and spend it they will – on experienced players who’ll save their clubs from the drop – and the massive loss of revenue.

When will Ashley wake up and realise there’ll always be more money gained from being in the prem than buying young players to sell on for profit?

Let’s hope that Ashley tells Charnley to buy the experience that’ll avoid relegation.

• 17 lesh // Oct 26, 2015 at 2:14 PM

True Geordie’s probably still in recovery mode

• 18 Munster Mag // Oct 26, 2015 at 2:16 PM

Catchy, I’m blue in the face from trying to explain myself re Pardew because you just wont listen and you seem to this I am some big Pardew fan. I’m not. Can I say it more clearly – I am not a Pardew fan. And as I said earlier, the club is starting to feel like a club again, and i was well impressed with the style of football yesterday, if not the result. The reason I defended Pardew the little bit I did, was because guys like you became obsessed with blaming him for absolutely everything, and giving zero credit for good results achieved etc. Thats why you lack credibility on this score – because there is no balance whatsoever to what you say – and there never was. You werent happy when we beat Man U etc. Crazy stuff . To be clear, i was pleased when he went, and i am hoping that Palace do crap under him, but what really must annoy Pardew hating obsessives is that in plain terms from a positive perpective:

– He came to us and we were mid table
    -He left and we were mid table
    -And we even got 5th and into europe under him

You can quote all the pardew website stuff you like – and believe me, he should have been sacked by us earlier – and should never have got the job uncontested, but the above facts are correct and thats that.

To finish, I am glad he is gone etc – but in the name of fairness, I dont accept the Pardew Obsessives blaming him for absolutely everything. A bit of balance is too much to ask for I guess.

Onwards and upwards with SMC unless results get worse. I think we can agree on that.

• 19 sparky55 // Oct 26, 2015 at 2:16 PM

or in hospital having his wrist wounds treated

• 20 sparky55 // Oct 26, 2015 at 2:18 PM

A carrer in the diplomatic corps waits! 🙂

• 21 sparky55 // Oct 26, 2015 at 2:19 PM

career even!

• 22 lochinvar // Oct 26, 2015 at 2:20 PM

Can we appeal the result and have that rescinded ?
    Is moral indignation taken into account ?
    Will the FA have anyone young enough to know what the rules of the game are ?
    Colo was caught out and was too slow – thats the real issue

• 23 usmagpie // Oct 26, 2015 at 2:22 PM

Ok lets be honest here, penalty yes but sending off, a little harsh. Here’s the thing, Colo just isn’t fast enough, how do you let Fletcher. yes Fletcher beat you in a race. Fletcher has never really been known for his quick feet now has he. Would the game have been different if Colo stayed on? Yes of course it would have but he just isn’t quick enough anymore, if you cannot beat Fletcher then there’s your answer. How can we, in the first half have a 70% – 30% possession and not score?
    I’m only happy that my kid had a sleep over Saturday night because the air was, well let me say it wasn’t me sitting in a church type language. It feels like just to many years now that we have never really fixed the back four, yes we signed Mbemba and he looks awesome but we need another one like him playing central and we could be ok. Sorry Colo but I think father time may have caught up to you finally.

• 24 lochinvar // Oct 26, 2015 at 2:38 PM

and as a side line what were the good ol Linespeople doing on Sunday – having a day off ?
    I thought they were there to assist the Ref and wave their flags to talk to him when they saw a foul or incident – and did the ref consult them at any point, not least about the Pen as he was behind play whereas Linesmen should have been in line with play and had a better view ?
    They were notable by their absence or did I miss something ?

Yet again the FA and the officials show an alarming lack of Professionalism and consistency – it’s almost if they’re willing the introduction of the TMO as in Rugby and then they can take centre stage even more than they do now.

If they’re really lucky they might even get shiny new colourful strips to show off in.

• 25 hibbitt // Oct 26, 2015 at 2:52 PM

its time all parties shut up about MR P he’s gone and we have more pressing problems…. draw the line… agree to disagree… move on turn the page…..its so boring now!!!

• 26 posada // Oct 26, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Agree on Collo. Watch it again. He reacts to Fletchers run so slowly. Slow thinking as well as slow movement. Also, he is just not strong enough.
    With him is the side we will potentially have a good spell and then the other side score with ease.
    1st job of a CB – to attack the ball with aggression .
    Mbemba and Collo starting to look like Bassong/Collo.

• 27 Jib // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:06 PM

I see Crystal Palace are away to Man City in the cap1 cup this week.
    I wonder if Alan Pardew can repeat his fabulous feat of 2 seasons ago ?

• 28 TheToonKing // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:09 PM

who cares now…the game is lost and gone. Video refereeing or something along those lines can’t come soon enough.

• 29 sing in the corner // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:11 PM

Man, I am getting my head battered with stick from mackems that I know, but I’ll tell ye what, I’m more confident we can build something than I was on Friday. The players are playing for this coaching team IMO. Something has turned Sissoko’s head back round the right way. Perez / Mitro and others are showing great attitude and application. We are playing some nice stuff going forward, though I know it was only scum and Norwich. The defence is a bigger task but signing a new centre half would be a leap in the right direction.
    I look forward to the Stoke game now – no easy task as they are in a bit of form lately, but show the same togetherness we had on Sunday and I think we will do ok.

• 30 sing in the corner // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Stoke in form – errrr if you discount getting beat by Watford two nil this weekend 🙂

• 31 Mister Tuff // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:15 PM

I have been musing over a potential scenario. If ol’ permed hair is banned for three games and just for the purposes of the argument – Willo is brought in. Then for the next three games the defence play top notch, we don’t concede and win the games well.
    Will Wally bring permed hair straight back in – after his suspension – I think he will. That would suggest to me a “political” reason/decision as opposed to a footballing decision. Suggesting Wally is towing the party line – furthering the mystery why permed hair is still here and was given an extension.

• 32 goommy // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:16 PM

I really don’t give a damn about appealing that red card. Just wanna see how good we are if Colo wasn’t a starter. Maybe much better and cleansheet. Maybe..

• 33 Munster Mag // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:23 PM

Thanks Sparky, I think its a Carer that I need 🙂

• 34 Tsunki // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:31 PM

I think we need to get some reality about the Colo foul. First of all, if he had done exactly the same protecting a ball going out of play at the byline, the referee would have spun on his heels,and walked away, giving a goal kick. Regardless of Fletchers theatrical dive or the momentum enhancing his sprawling tumble, it wouldn’t have mattered. Putting him in the box, with a ref deeming it a clear goalscoring opportunity (being behind the play he may not have been able to judge whether Elliot was closest or not) the ref has chickened out to the home crowd I think.

Yesterday Rooney did no more than barge head down into the back of a Citeh player with a clear header on goal, no attempt to go for the ball, and this was called ‘ good defending’. In our same match I think it was Mbemba who similarly ‘ shepherded’ a mackem player into the track for a goal kick. No eyelids batted.

Without any bias, looking at it again, I would say that most players would say that regardless of whether you could say it was a clear goal opportunity or not, the barge itself was a legitimate use of body between man and ball, Colo was still able to reach the ball he shielded so it was a fair barge, forceful, but no hands or feet involved, and no intention to use the situation to use excessive force on the opponent.

I still think he’s a ding for allowing Fletcher in and I still think Elliot did him no favours by cringing and moving too slowly to collect.

• 35 Tsunki // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Mr T – speaking of extensions , perhaps bubble heed is a retained as a hair farm for Messrs. Ashley Charnley and Carr?

• 36 Tsunki // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:37 PM

Jeff are you kidding mentioning You-Know-Who after the row we all had the other day?

• 37 Mister Tuff // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:39 PM

tsunki – a possibility.
    Baldy gits ……………………………………OOT

• 38 Tsunki // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:40 PM

I guess we won’t know for sure until the summer when a bald Coloccini is waved off in his plane by our slap headed trio sporting vibrant new perms. 🙂

• 39 welshgeordie9 // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:41 PM

Some on here forgets about matches like when we beat man city away in the cup under Pardew.

• 40 Tsunki // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:45 PM

No they don’t welshie boy, they just remember the mounds of other stuff which makes events like that very little comfort.

• 41 Tsunki // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:47 PM

Has anyone else noticed that this You-Know-Who argument keeps being regurgitated by his fan club? I wish it would just drop so he can get on with continuing his dismal track record by himself. We have enough problems without him.

• 42 Munster Mag // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:48 PM

Tsunki, we was a fret that night 🙂

• 43 Tsunki // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:49 PM

• 44 Tsunki // Oct 26, 2015 at 3:52 PM

I accept it may be just me but during the game I couldn’t help thinking the ref reminded me of Captain Darling in Blackadder. Had the same lost, frightened little boy look about him as well.

• 45 Thump // Oct 26, 2015 at 4:00 PM

I’ve just thought of something… when Colo was sent off did you notice he was arguing with the referee? Maybe Fletcher has done us a favour and given Captain Colo a voice!

• 46 123 Dummet Time // Oct 26, 2015 at 4:10 PM

We really didn’t deserve that defeat or anything

• 47 Bambams // Oct 26, 2015 at 4:14 PM

You have hit the nail on the head…
    Captain Darling without a doubt, how can you take this man seriously!
    Mind you he made some crazy decisions. ….Clattermole had a licence to do what he wanted.

• 48 toon kk // Oct 26, 2015 at 4:17 PM

We certainly didn’t deserve to ?ose, colo’ sending off certainly spoiled the game for us.
    But we still lacked a bit of cutting edge in front of goal, some of our shots on target should have had more intent.
    we just need to move on and improve.

• 49 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 4:30 PM

Just watched the Colo Fletcher tackle on SSN, 1st time I’ve seen it since yesterday.
    From a certain angle it looks like fletcher pulls Colo back to get across him befote Colo shoulder charges him.

After watching it again I def don’t think it was a pen.

• 50 Bambams // Oct 26, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Fletcher does a ‘double movement ‘ he does get shouldered out but then the movement becomes more aggressive and throws himself to the floor.
    Ref is trying to show he is strong and can make strong decisions. ….
    Unfortunately the wrong ones. I will be surprised if he refs a prem game at the weekend

• 51 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Can’t and wouldn’t argue with the lad, true Geordie on yesterday

• 52 firebug666 // Oct 26, 2015 at 4:41 PM

The Ref cheated it’s as simple as that.

They would have never had that penalty if the ref had played fair and given Wijnaldum a pen at the other end.

As for Cattermole, he must be the refs best mate or something, he was quick with his cards against Newcastle’s players, but apparently the makems had a free pass to do what the fcuk they liked.

Shocking ref, and he should be held to account.

He must have had a bet on the makems winning, because that was clear match fixing if ever I saw it.

• 53 Mister Tuff // Oct 26, 2015 at 4:43 PM

I do not think the fans of sssshhhhh – you know who, will ever be silenced on the blog. I suspect they like to reminisce about the “good old days” whilst quaffing a glass of Cockney beer and chomping on a nice slice of eel pie.
    Eel pie platoon…………………………………OOT