The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star Points The Way Forward

11:08 pm, Monday, October 26th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 37 Comments

We were a little worried in case some of our Newcastle players  didn´t turn up for the game on Sunday at Sunderland but the lads did turn up and executed the game plan almost perfectly in that first half – but there was one missing ingredient – goals.

When we get chances in these games they have to be tucked away and goals change games.

ayoze perez lee catermole

Ayoze Perez challenged by Lee Cattermole

And then there was the Coloccini – Fletcher incident that ended up in Sunderland getting a penalty and Newcastle being reduced to 10 men after Colo was sent off.

Ayoze Perez is one of our best players these days and he´s also a very positive guy with a great temperament.

Ayoze had called on his team-mates to stick together and keep working hard.

This is what Perez told nufcTV after the game:

“I think so. We played really well.” “We didn’t deserve this result. We had heart so I think we have to be disappointed, stick together and work hard as we have done up until now.”

“We are disappointed. We don’t deserve what happened so we have to stick together because we played really well.” “We created a lot of chances – maybe some decisions changed the game.”

“When it was only 1-0 we had that big chance as well.” “We created more than that so it was unlucky that we didn’t score.”

Mitrovic had a great one on one chance with Sunderland goalkeeper Costel Pantilimon but the giant goalie did well to block the shot.

It´s over now and what we expect Newcastle to do is learn what they can from what happened and prepare hard for the Stoke City game.

We have to start getting some wins on the board to start moving up that league table.

The fans will be behind them fully on Saturday afternoon – let´s hope we can get the full 3 points and that could take us out of the relegation zone.

That would be good.

Tags: Newcastle News · nufcTV · Premier League · Press

37 responses so far ↓

• 1 jane // Oct 26, 2015 at 11:19 PM

we could have been hosting Arsenal tomorrow.

• 2 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 11:20 PM

• 3 Bobbybee // Oct 27, 2015 at 12:38 AM

I’ve no idea what other people saw on Sunday, but I saw a team playing their hearts out and completely dominating a far inferior team. We played football that embarrassed the mackems and it was surely only a matter of time before we scored and they collapsed. Then Collo stepped in. Had Krul been in goal maybe Collo would’ve trusted him to get there first – who knows ? As it was, Elliot got there, but it was too late by then. The red card was simply wrong, but so was Collo. Even with ten men we were their equal, but chasing a goal with ten men usually ends in tears. I was proud of the effort, commitment and pride shown, regardless of the score. We will be safe, they may well not be. Clearly the change in philosophy is taking shape – if only we’d stop shooting ourself in the foot. Now is not the time to panic and I’m pretty certain those who turn up next week will get behind the lads. People calling for Macca’s head amaze me. His philosophy is showing now and it’s a massive improvement on recent managers. Stick with him, he’ll drive us forward. Ten seldom beat eleven in the PL, regardless who they play. It’s life and includes us; we’re nothing special. I was proud of the effort if not the score, just a shame the ref spoiled it. Until the red card it was 70% possession and 9-1 shots on target to us. I can tollerate the whining when it’s deserved, but not Sunday. They played with pride and passion even following the injustice. If they continue like that we’ll be safe as houses. HTL!!!

• 4 Roosta // Oct 27, 2015 at 1:15 AM

bobbybee, i do know were you are coming from, but we stuck it to man city for 44 mins same as the mackems but ended up conceding 9 goals, in between we blasted Norwich for 6, i will admit they do seem to be giving a lot of effort lately, but we cannot ship the goals we have been doing, Norwich could easily had another 3 as well, i do think the main common denominator in all this is Shirley Temple Colocini, he is a shocka to be fair, pure hot or cold. always makes a few riks in a game and turns his back all the time. we should not have given the fella another year without doubt, Him and Charnley are very tight apparently.

• 5 RonVanDam // Oct 27, 2015 at 2:35 AM

Looking at our team, it looks like its custom made for Brendan Rogers. The number of attacking players resembles to what he had back in 2013-14 season

• 6 TroubledToon // Oct 27, 2015 at 2:51 AM

B4 he even comes in, Rodgers out!!!!

• 7 Bobbybee // Oct 27, 2015 at 2:58 AM

Roosta, agreed Collo has to go – should be already gone – but most teams don’t have an Aguero, or a team that costs ten times our own. You have to accept, the mega rich clubs generally beat the rest, regardless who it is. As a ST holder, as long as every player gives 100%, I don’t mind losing. We won’t win every game – who does? Sunday the lads were outstanding until the ref stepped in yet for a long time, nobody gave up. They fought until the end – something people have been accusing them of failing to do. How many ten men beat eleven? Very very few. Even with 11, they looked 2nd best. Stoke next and if this run of passing and moving continues, I fancy we’ll win. Last season we were the worst in the league, miracles don’t happen, it takes hard work. Look at the difference between last seasons derby to this. This season I was proud of the effort and commitment, despite being a man down. Changes are happening, but it will take time. Every neutral I’ve spoken to says we were magnificant first half, but you can’t judge the 2nd half fairly. They also say it was never a red card. We’ll improve as games progress and come January we’ll buy a few more better players. Times are improving, just give it a little longer. Judging on Sunday, seriously, who would be more worried about going down? Them or us? They must be bricking it – I’m not. 😉

• 8 Bobbybee // Oct 27, 2015 at 3:08 AM

** … until the ref stepped in, when for the first time in a long time, nobody gave up.**

• 9 cyprus // Oct 27, 2015 at 6:11 AM

So we’ll get to see the team without Colo and draw conclusions. I hope that THE problem has been identified, but I believe not. Given our CB’s, historically, he’s in fact quite good.

I think we are weak in the FB positions as well. That Enrique was the best (from NUFC) I’d seen in that position, and we need similar to the right although Janm is excellent going forward.

The defensive coach must shoulder much of the blame. He knew they’d play the long ball, there shouldn’t be a need for Colo to be sprinting back. I remember AVB embarrassing Terry, when he played that super high line. Boy did he look, clumsy, slow and bad.

Still, the stats don’t lie. Defensively we are crap.

• 10 cyprus // Oct 27, 2015 at 6:12 AM

BTW, congrats Pantelimon. Great game.

• 11 cyprus // Oct 27, 2015 at 6:19 AM

Don’t want to play the blame game and don’t want to defend any defender if you know what I mean. But, that sprint should’ve been one between Mbemba and their 9. Not Colo.

Anyway, in a vicious derby, a shoulder charge like that gets applauded, not penalised, 8 out of 10 times. Was a soft pen, no Sunderland fan would’ve complained had it not been given, ask and you’ll confirm.

• 12 LGFUAD21 // Oct 27, 2015 at 6:44 AM

People can talk about us not putting away chances. Yes Mitrovic shouldve as a first choice, prem starter, put his away.

But had we had 11 in the second half I think we’d have easily beaten them.

The ref changed that game.

• 13 LGFUAD21 // Oct 27, 2015 at 6:47 AM

I disagree on it being for Mbemba. Initially I thought that but after watching replays. Mbemba was pressuring Defoe.

I think colo gets a bit too much stick and Sod’s law for him he’s the one that screws up but he should’ve been tighter to fletcher. Everyone could see the threat of him languishing between the two cb’s before Defoe even picked the ball up.

• 14 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:01 AM

Nobody pressured Defoe, that was why he was able to carry the ball comfortably and pick his pass.

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:13 AM

I meant to get back to you yesterday on the CB situation, who to put in place of Collo, I think we can rule out Willo as that would be a step backwards, is Lascelles ready, only Mclaren and his coaches know that, Dummet is an option with Haidara coming back as LB, but Jaanmatt is also an option as Mbabu looks like he can do a job, wow our options are endless.
    Do you really think Collo is being made a scapegoat, don’t you think he’s escaped mass criticism for way too long, from his trips abroad to his silence and deliberate sending off, you said something about Jaanmatt not shouting at Membemba? Surely that is where Collo comes in, if the captain and highest earner is not making himself heard, surely that filters down.

• 16 cyprus // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:17 AM

I didn’t mean Mbemba should’ve defended that actual play. I meant, generally, tactically, there should be a super fast defender on the most forward CF, when these long balls are played.
    I’m saying, our defensive tactics may need work; maybe changing all our defenders and then playing them wrongly just perpetuates the problem. e.g. when Janm attacks, way in their corner, is someone sort of protecting the right side for a counter? Often, it seems not.
    Look at Chelsea. Same defenders, best defence, now conceding like crazy and looking crap. They’re scratching their heads, won’t try to solve that one for them, just saying sometimes it ain’t the actual players, it’s what they do. Or don’t.

• 17 optimistic prime // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:17 AM

I took a look at that Xhaka you mentioned yesterday, he looks a decent player from the vids I saw. Doesn’t tell the whole story but he looks a player.

Have we been linked with him?
    1st time I’ve heard his name was from yourself yesterday.

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:19 AM

I also meant to put, is Lascelles better than 100 PL games Willo.

• 19 Jail for Ashley // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:20 AM

We were linked with every single player in Europe who was in the last year of his contract last summer

• 20 optimistic prime // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:23 AM

Agh, there’s was me thinking we were looking at him because he was decent, shoulda known he’d be in the sales.

• 21 optimistic prime // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:28 AM

I actually stopped reading the blog and transfer speculation around the time we were trying to sign Thauvin.

I was bored with being told how fantastic the slug was and what a great window he gave us. I thought we were short then and still do, no change in the transfer policy IMO. We spent more dollar due to the market value being driven up by the tv money.

Jan is the window I wanna see, will Mc get to choose his players or will it be Carrs targets of the last few years.

• 22 cyprus // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:29 AM

For instance, we’ve always mentioned Willo with derision. He’s at fault for our defensive shambles, we all agreed. Fine, but he’s out of the picture and we still are bad. Now, we attack Colo. Ok, he too is at fault.
    Next we’ll suddenly realise that our FB’s aren’t very good (my favourite reasoning). There’s maybe a pattern here.

• 23 Jail for Ashley // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:31 AM
    Jeezus wept,
    have you seen how many games willo has played over the last five years

• 24 mindshaft // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:33 AM

like Perez but he has a lot to learn – was fed up of him pot shotting from edge of area invariably hitting first man – there were usually better options

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:34 AM

Unless it’s extracts from a Press coference or direct quotes from someone I don’t bother reading Ed’s articles anymore, the headline I generally enough.

• 26 Jail for Ashley // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:36 AM

Something is amiss !

• 27 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:36 AM

He was linked by a couple of sources in the summer. I’ve liked the lad since he came through at Basel, he was far more attacking back then, but he has transitioned into a far more complete central midfielder with an excellent range of passing.

There are massive flaws with Colo, absolutely no doubt about it. But I do think he is getting scapegoated a fair bit. He isn’t captain material, and that is one of the biggest issues. He doesn’t act like a captain, or play like a captain.

You’re right, Colo should be talking as well, but I’d expect those closer to the action to be also talking. Colo was further away and with Fletcher. Tiote, Colback, Janmaat and Mbemba were stood in a diamond with only Defoe anywhere near them and none of them pressed the ball.

When I read some of the blame given to Colo for some of the goals this season it has been fairly laughable, with a number of players escaping criticism when they are just as much if not more at fault.

Colo makes some massive ricks, and his lack of pace and authority is a problem for us in the back line, but it is far from the only defensive issue this squad has. The sad fact is that take out Mbemba (who himself has made some costly errors this season) Colo is probably still one of our top 3 defensive players, which says more about the lack of squad strength then anything else.

Lascelles, Mbabu and Dummet are far from proven, Haidara and Janmaat are weak defensively leaving Mbemba, Colo, Willo and perma-crock Saylor. Will be interesting to see who gets the nod, and if it is one of the youngsters (plus Dummet) then whether they adjust and grasp the opportunity.

• 28 cyprus // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:38 AM

You bet. Who’s our defensive coach, or team? I need a name so that I can build up my campaign 😉

• 29 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:38 AM

I know most people don’t like Williamson but if he is fit and Colocini is banned.
    He has his limitations but I would play him for the arial threat from Couch and co and he likes the physical battle which we know doubt will get from Stoke

• 30 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:44 AM

If Mbabu does come into the first team, or as he is already in contention then surely they should be considering offering him a new deal as he is out of contract at the end of this season. Just a one or two year deal with extensions and bonuses fitted in if he is successful and stays injury free.

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:45 AM

As a regular you’ll know that I have been one of Willos biggest defenders on here as it is not his fault that he has not been replaced, because he was cheap they have tried to replace him with someone cheap whether it affects the team or not, that ridiculous “purple” policy is still very much in place even though the PR dept have disallowed it’s mention.

• 32 sing in the corner // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:50 AM

Actually that’s a canny shout about Willo for this game. We haven’t seen wether McClaren coming in, some different coaching and a much needed spell out of the team has helped him. Clutching at straws maybe but I have to agree I’d probably prefer him against a big non pacey striker to young Jamaal or wee Dummy. Mbemba will have to take care of Crouchies partner if he has one.

• 33 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:57 AM

Lascelles is a big lad as well. I’d much rather give him a chance to come in and show his worth rather than Willo. If Lascelles is behind Willo in the pecking order at the club, then he should be out on loan again.

• 34 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Anyway, Crouch has only come off the bench twice this season, playing 45 minutes of Prem football in total. Bit pointless setting a side up to deal with threat that has hardly featured this season.

• 35 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 27, 2015 at 7:59 AM

Morning Jail
    Yeah we hav to recruit at least one centre back and a full back this winter
    I don’t have a favourite player and I don’t hate any player like a lot hate Colcinni and Williamson and wouldn’t have either in – and at the moment if they are fit I think you have to play one alongside Mbemba – just for the experience of playing in the Premiership.
    The problem is if you leave both out you have a very inexperienced defence – do you play Dummett, Janmatt or Lascalles alongside Mbemba.
    Then your full-backs would have to be a choice between Haidara, Mbabu who looked good but inexperienced as one full back with Janmaat or Dummett the other.

I tink when Williamson has played we have kept more clean sheets than when he is out!!!!

Anyway what do I know

• 36 sing in the corner // Oct 27, 2015 at 8:03 AM

I’d be very surprised if Crouch isn’t heavily involved in this game if he’s fit, given our very obvious susceptibility to aerial / physical threat.

• 37 Santon03 // Oct 27, 2015 at 8:07 AM

Mbabu is a CB/RB originally, right?
    Dummet also LB/CB, we also have Llaceles and Willo if Colo is banned for 3 matches.
    I kinda like Mbabu and Mbemba -Mb CB combination.
    I still wish we play we 3 CB in 352 or 343 formation, these formations served Juventus-Conte so well.

previous post: Shearer Identifies What´s Wrong With Newcastle