The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Referee Was Poor – But Newcastle Find Another Way To Lose

7:55 am, Monday, October 26th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 27 Comments

It was another disappointing defeat for Newcastle yesterday at the Stadium of Light and the reason we were beaten his time we suppose is because of atwo poor referee decisions that gave Sunderland a penalty before the break and we then had Coloccini sent off.

It was an innocuous little shove on Steven Fletcher from the captain but the striker dived as if he had been hit by a freight train and managed to con the referee – but Coloccini did not need to put in the challenge with Elliot obviously going to get to the ball first.

Steve McClaren half time Sundelrand

Steve McClaren annoyed at the break

It looks like football is becoming like basketball – a non-contact type of sport – but it was poor refereeing by Robert Madley who with two decisions turned the game on its head after Newcastle had been dominant in that first half.

This is what  right-back Janmaat said after the game:

“I think we were by far the better team in the first half, and then we get a red card like this – it was unbelievable.”

“I don’t like to blame referees, but that was not a penalty. I think everybody saw it – and a red card is crazy in my opinion.”

“It kills the game. I don’t like excuses, but I think we had 70 per cent possession in the first half and were far better than them.”

“In the second half we lost the game with 10 men. It disappointing, because in the first half we played well.”

“I think the penalty was nothing. It’s a contact sport.” “We had some good chances, and we needed to score.

“We were far better. That’s what’s so disappointing. We didn’t deserve it.”

We missed several chances in the first half and rather than concentrate on the penalty and sending off we could have been two up by then but we weren´t – so while we controlled the game in the first half we couldn´t score.

While the sending off was the big thing in the derby game and led to our sixth successive loss to the Black Cats  for the first time ever – another dubious record this year – we wonder what it will be next Saturday when we are at home to Stoke.

This team seems to find a way of losing games and while most fans think we played well and we were OK yesterday if only we had kept 10 men on the pitch – we are becoming a calamity team who find bizarre ways of losing games.

It´s happening too many times.

We have 6 points from the first 10 games and the sending off is enough to deflect the attention from this woeful start to the season.

There´s something missing from this Newcastle side and that was the third time this season we have had  player sent off in the first half and we have lost all three games and failed to score a goal in any of them.

And if McClaren keeps playing Cheick Tiote he´ll be sent off soon as well.

What do you think?

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Sunderland

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Daryl Janmaat · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

27 responses so far ↓

• 1 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 7:57 AM

If the curly mopped flops red card stands who’s gonna be Captain?

• 2 sparky55 // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:02 AM

I’m sat here shaking me heed and not really knowing what to say next if this is all down to club politics rather than proving SM has been a bit slow to realise how bad they really are.

One things for sure…Fat lad will spend some money again in January like he did three years ago because we’ll still be in the bottom three come January (or at best hovering above by the odd point or two) and his plan to finish 17th may be in jeopardy along the 108 million you get for finishing 17th come next year.

The maths are therefore easy….anything he spends from now on in is free money if you stay up…so he may as well spend big if we’re down in the sh!te or nearby come January …which of course we will be after this horrendous start.

• 3 the broons // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:03 AM

optimistic prime

I think Wijnaldum without a doubt but he may not since he’s a new arrival.

On another note after a day of drowining my sorrows yesterday I have come out of tomorrow with a ray of light. That we were brilliant even with 10 men, when we have that extra man for the full 11 then we will surely start picking up more wins and soon too.

Mackems however will need to severely improve their performances if they want a fighting chance with teams alongside them.

• 4 Mag52 // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Back to the spelling of Mbemba.
    If anything illustrates the state of incompetence that exists in the club at the moment it’s the misspelling of Mbemba plastered across his back for the football world to see and laugh at.
    It’s acceptable on a blog. It’s not on the shirt of a player representing a serious premiership football team.

• 5 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:07 AM

I think Janmaat had the armband at the end yesterday, so I’d imagine it will be him. Depending on Colback’s injury he could be the other option for McClaren. Neither inspire me with any confidence that they have the qualities to be captain.

• 6 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:12 AM

Colbacks banned for the next game after 5 yellows. Not sure how bad his injury is.

• 7 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Janmaat it is then….

• 8 sparky55 // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:19 AM

All they need to do is dis-activate the autocorrect on the shirt machine computer and the spellings will come out fine!

• 9 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:19 AM

The only player in their team any good was the keeper. Fletcher getting mom was a joke , he touched the ball about 5 times. The ref shoulda been mom for them, bet he got a few pints after the match.

I’m usually all for Sunderland and Boro in the prem but I’m sick of being the better team and getting nowt. I hope they go down and stay down and I hope Adam Johnson gets 10 years, the twat only plays 2 games a year.

Nothing other than 10-0 to us at SJP will make me change my mind.

• 10 sparky55 // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:23 AM

Perhaps time to change you’re handle and put “Not so” in front of it! 🙂

• 11 stuart no9 // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:24 AM

Sparky —put that £100m with the £400m he will lose over the next 3 years tv rights ??? If I was fatty I would seriously consider protecting his investment and throw £100m into the team in January .It has to make sence .hasnt it ????

• 12 Reyantoon // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:28 AM

McLaren and co should definitely appeal the red card.Because that was unconvincing red.Don’t think we can say the situation is the” last man” enuendo but I think we can win the appeal if we go for it,depending on the rules of the fa..
    As for Colo,we definitely will miss him if he get suspended for 3 games,eventhough he was at fault for the loss.
    Wijnaldum and Sissoko had another good game,
    they continually tried their best to do something but i think Mitro and Perez were not sharp enough yesterday.Overall,good performance but we still should learn how to kill games,esp when we are on top.Wijnaldum again showed what a cracking signing he is…!

• 13 sparky55 // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:28 AM

Stuart No 9

I would have thought so but the last 6 words in your post might just put the mockers on it…because nowt this club does seems to make any sense to me

• 14 JDdubai // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:32 AM

Big choice as to who will partner Mbemba next week, Lascelles, Dummett, maybe move Janmaat there and Mbabu RB?

Think we have shown real improvement in the last 4 games, keep it continuing and we will be fine.

Think Finding a CM of the quality of Mbemba, Wini and Mitro is right behind a new CB. Anita, Tiote and Colback are the level below our new signings.

• 15 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:33 AM

I’m optimistic things will get better and we’ll beat Sunderland one day, I just may not live to see it and I’m only 40.

If you’d watched the match you’d understand. Its more shock than anger, if it was a boxing match the ref would have stopped it after 10mins.

Even with 10 we dominated them, they hardly got out their half for 45mins and made umpteen late challenges without receiving a card.

We’re miles better than them and I have no fear of being dragged to their level as they’re so bad, worst Sunderland side I’ve seen and I’ve seen some bad ones. There def down IMO the ref won’t keep handing them lucky breaks like yesterday.

And at the minute I’d be glad to see the back of the lucky barstewards for good!

• 16 sparky55 // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:39 AM

Only 40 eh?…believe me you’ve not suffered for anywhere long enough to get off that lightly 🙂 🙂

• 17 sparky55 // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:42 AM

I’ve recorded the footy but still a bit hungover from the rugby…and for obvious reasons not sure I want to put myself through the pain of watching yet another derby defeat…I’ll see how the day pans out!

• 18 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:43 AM

I think this result has knarked me as much as when they beat us in the promotion play offs when I was about 12.

The memory of 5-1 seems so long ago.

• 19 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Yeah cannot wait for that day to rub their noses in the sh*t – especially Johnson – horrible man.

How the hell did we get two bookings and a sending off when they got none for their cynical fouling all-game.

• 20 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:48 AM

I’d watch it again!

You’ll watch the first 40mins and wonder how we ended up losing, a more one sided contest I’ve not seen for a while.
    Even with 10 we played the better football and made more chances.

They played like the away team, and we were running circles around them.
    There was only going to be one winner until the ref intervened.

• 21 sparky55 // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Never an easy thing to do…watch a recording of a match when you know your team are gonna lose against the scum…but I won’t be watching this morning that’s for sure…hangover too intense and a bit neggy…might have to watch it later when feeling better to ensure I take the positives out the performance!

• 22 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:54 AM

That’s what’s puzzled me and knarked me most. Within 2mins they’d gave 3 free kicks away and it continued all game.

Clattermole must have made atleast 12 fouls half of which where late or bad and no card. The ref talked to him at start of 2nd giving him a warning several fouls later he got another warning. Unbelievable

We got punished for playing football and they were rewarded for kicking us at every opportunity. Even Colback eventually went off for Clattermoles 2nd or 3rd late challenge on him.

I hope someone takes a look at the ref because he wasn’t even concistent during 1 game never mind over a season.

• 23 catchy in norway // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:56 AM

guys , its all well and good saying Ashley needs to protect his investment by spending big again in Jan, i believe he will spend, they said over the next 3 windows he will spend, for me its more about buying the right players, but do you really think that there will be a lot of good players for sale in Jan? sorry but i dont, we might get 1, the players we will be after will be at clubs that are in some sort of European competition or still in domestic cup competitions.

it is going slow , but we are twice the team we were last year, so by xmas i think we will be safe, good results more often then not follow good football, its exactly what i said about P45, poor football will bring poor results.. and it did..

Sheve is doing ok in my book.

• 24 optimistic prime // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:58 AM

Even at 2-0 down I was feeling positive. If we’d scored they would have folded of that I’m certain. We looked the better team playing better football the only thing wrong was the scorline and I can’t really fault any of the players. Clumsy stupid challenge by Colo but never a red.

• 25 martoon // Oct 26, 2015 at 8:59 AM

optimistic prime – I know exactly what you mean – it really hurts knowing we were by far the better team but the game was ruined by the referee. I wonder who chooses the referees? Putting a 30 year old inexperienced ref in charge of this match was madness.

• 26 Sav // Oct 26, 2015 at 11:32 AM

We do need a new CB but I think it would not be difficult to improve on Tiote, Anita or Colback in central midfield and I hope a couple of Cabayes are on the shopping list in January. Thauvin should be sent back to France while he still has a reputation to trade on and I’d do the same with de Jong. Keeping these players for too long does not help anybody.

• 27 Ravostag // Oct 26, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Everything that could have gone wrong did go wrong!! Totally on top but powder puff finishing, poor referring, penalty that was and wasn’t, poor challenge, diving makems and an inevitable sending off AGAIN

previous post: Pundit Tweets – If Ever A 3-0 Scoreline Didn´t Tell A Story