The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Harry Redknapp Reckons Newcastle In Relegation Fight

9:30 pm, Tuesday, October 27th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 46 Comments

WE were hoping that we have had a bad start to the season – but that´s all – and that hopefully we can pull away as the team starts to play the way Steve McClaren is trying to get the lads to play together.

The very last thing we want is a season where we are fighting relegation from start to finish.

harry redknapp qpr

Harry Redknapp – it´s going to tight down there

But that seems to be what Harry Redknapp thinks will happen to Newcastle.

Harry thinks Newcastle are showing good signs of late that we may become a decent enough side this season, but the former Tottenham and QPR manager says it´s going to be tight  down there

We didn´t expect to be down there at all this season – that’s one of the problems we have with what Harry says.

This is what Redknapp said about Newcastle on the Alan Brazil Sports Breakfast show on talkSPORT:

“They played well first half against Sunderland, they looked good but the penalty and sending off changed everything.”

“I think they’ve shown enough to suggest they’ve got a chance but it’s going to be tight down there.”

“There’s going to be six or seven teams scrapping away in that relegation battle and at the moment, you wouldn’t really like to call it.”

Well at least we have got Coloccini´s red card overturned by the FA but the damage is done – and it was a poor referring decision indeed.

Coloccini will line up in central defense against Stoke on Saturday afternoon and he was even in good form at Sunderland in that first 45 minutes.

But if we are to move away from the bottom of the league then we must put a string of wins together – and soon too.

Comment welcome.

Tags: Coaching · Other News · Premier League · Press · Pundit

46 responses so far ↓

• 1 lochinvar // Oct 27, 2015 at 9:34 PM

Out of work Harry ?
    Looking for a job Harry ?
    Don’t even think about it !

• 2 Average_Contents // Oct 27, 2015 at 9:37 PM

As insightful as ever….

Here’s a scary thought, he actually gets paid for that. Wow.

Stoke beating chelski 1-0. Doesn’t auger well for the weekend as they’ll now be on a high (if they actually win)

Let’s hope bojan, shawcross, Shakira, aunotovic, the mighty walters or any of their first choice 11 for that matter don’t make it otherwise we’ll get a footballing lesson from that whinging Welsh tosspots team.

Utter embarrassment.

• 3 jane // Oct 27, 2015 at 9:39 PM

extra time with 10 men will help!

• 4 Average_Contents // Oct 27, 2015 at 9:40 PM

And no I didn’t mean p..pu..pul..puli….no, still can’t say it (that’s for you markass:)

• 5 Average_Contents // Oct 27, 2015 at 9:41 PM

• 6 Average_Contents // Oct 27, 2015 at 9:44 PM

Funniest thing I’ve read on here for a while mate, bravo.

Sad thing is, I truly believe they would lol.

• 7 Average_Contents // Oct 27, 2015 at 9:47 PM

Let’s hope they get smashed now, two teams on a downer. Sounds brill.

First aid course in the morning for me.

Time for my pit.

• 8 welshgeordie9 // Oct 27, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Average you would believe that.

• 9 Tsunki // Oct 27, 2015 at 9:53 PM

Martoon – I probably should clarify that while somethings patently can’t be said, some things shouldn’t, without leaving yourself open to recrimination. But when it’s the blog mod himself should he risk alienating a sizeable chunk of his participants and fellow fans by being judgemental of them? For me that’s crossing a line of impartiality and neutrality, one many of us have defended Ed for in the past. At the very least, he deserves ridicule for being deprecating to his fellow Toon fans. That’s my story and my take that’s all.

• 10 welshgeordie9 // Oct 27, 2015 at 9:54 PM

Got to laugh at some of the clowns on here, just because you don’t always agree with some comments, you then get called wum, or you don’t support the club, how the hell would they know.

• 11 optimistic prime // Oct 27, 2015 at 9:55 PM

Harry a pundit, I’d call him a lot of things but pundit wouldn’t be one.

Sour grapes from sour puss

• 12 welshgeordie9 // Oct 27, 2015 at 9:56 PM

Correct me if I’m wrong but isn’t a blog all about opinions or have you got to agree on everything that’s said.

• 13 martoon // Oct 27, 2015 at 10:13 PM

Tsunki @9 – OK I see what you’re getting at now. I suppose if Ed alienated a large section of his readers he could lose advertising revenue and hence his pension 🙂

A good result for Wednesday maybe it puts into perspective our defeat by them.

• 14 Jail for Ashley // Oct 27, 2015 at 10:26 PM

On the contrary, it would be impossible to get any kind of perspective from Arsenals defeat, Arsenal were away from home and made nine changes to the team that beat Everton, they have their work cut out as joint league leaders and have their eyes on CL qualification, we put out a team that could quite easily be our first team with just a couple of injuries with a new intent of trying to win a cup, yes you heard it here first, trying to win a cup, not entirely unheard of in the upper echelons of football, yes folks we are going to try and make it up to you, guess what, we’re going to try and win something !

• 15 Jail for Ashley // Oct 27, 2015 at 10:29 PM

I know I know, I know we don’t have to but we really are going to try and win something, hell why not, I just hope you appreciate it and support the team, start buying merchandise again, Christ, we do something for you and…..

• 16 optimistic prime // Oct 27, 2015 at 10:50 PM

• 17 jane // Oct 27, 2015 at 11:08 PM

we weren’t aware just how good Shef Wed were turning out to be when they beat us though.

I’m for apathy if it moves the focus from Mike Ashley to football. some people are obsessed with him ^^^

• 18 lochinvar // Oct 27, 2015 at 11:11 PM

Sheffield Wednesday win again in a League Cup match against Premiership opposition – when was the last time they managed that ?

Moanrinio in doo doo at Stoke and Klopp has aleady signed for
    Liverpool – bet he’s kicking himself if Chelsea need a new Manager.

And the FA charge some players for complaining to a ref that a sending off was wrong which the FA agree with

Panto season came early this year

• 19 optimistic prime // Oct 27, 2015 at 11:18 PM

When I make multiple accounts to spout BS like yourself then you can call me obsessed!

• 20 jane // Oct 27, 2015 at 11:25 PM

OP I wasn’t meaning you

• 21 lesh // Oct 27, 2015 at 11:29 PM

Any minutes released for the last Fans Forum meeting out yet? Or is Charnley still editing them?

• 22 Roosta // Oct 27, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Mike says win a trophy and i may go? why the hell is businessman Mike Ashley going to walk away from untold riches in the prem league certainly in the years to come(providing we don’t go down of course) that was such a stupid statement anyway, no way is the fella going even if we win something, money makes Mike tick, and he is going to begetting plenty isnt he, UNLESS!

• 23 lesh // Oct 28, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Jib (or Jane if Jib’s having a belated siesta)

Is this a wind-up then?

I’ll say it again, irresponsible and unprofessional behaviour!

• 24 optimistic prime // Oct 28, 2015 at 12:22 AM

Unfortunately I don’t see Mikey leaving the club until he’s in a box.

NUFC is far to beneficial to Sports direct to take a profit and leave, what’s £100m to him compared to the exposure his company gets.

He bought us to promote his buisness and that’s it, he’ll do the bare minimum for the club and only enough to ensure his brand stays on the global screen.

I posted a link to a The Mags article on the same thing earlier. Apparentley it was on the safc Twitter account, their fans aren’t overley impressed by it, judging by their comments.

• 25 Magpie Season // Oct 28, 2015 at 3:04 AM

Average C,

Unfortunately mate I think Shawcross is tipped to start the game against us in his first match back from his length injury.

Bojan is listed as having an ankle/foot injury but is expected to return on match day. He should start most likely.

Other than that they have no other injury worries to their first team (other than Muniesa) but all should start.

• 26 terencelim // Oct 28, 2015 at 3:07 AM

Well finally everyone agrees that Ashley ass lickers are muppets.

• 27 lesh // Oct 28, 2015 at 3:13 AM

I think you’ll find that most blogs are based on the host writer’s opinions – like them or not. Liking them or not is the readers’ prerogative.

• 28 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 28, 2015 at 4:55 AM

Mid-table by Christmas.

Hard games and a new set-up.. It’s another building season, which if he messes with in January without immediate players i’ll poke his eyes out.

Anyone thinking top 8 tho it jus ain’t gona happen for us.

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 28, 2015 at 5:38 AM

If we are still down there after 14 games we no win (or only a few) then statistics suggest we might go down!

…that’s the stats for you!

• 30 catchy in norway // Oct 28, 2015 at 5:52 AM

Jesper ,

There is always one team that pulled away, i know it is us.

Everything about how we are playing suggests that its more a mental thing than a playing thing and that soon all things including a bit of luck should fall our way.

• 31 lochinvar // Oct 28, 2015 at 6:06 AM

Distraction technique – trying to take our minds off more pressing matters like beating Stoke – without Bardsley I think ( red card last night )

Newcastle United head coach Steve McClaren has Queens Park Ranger’s striker Charlie Austin on his ‘radar’ – but the 26-year-old is not targeting a move in the January transfer window. (Newcastle Chronicle)

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 28, 2015 at 6:10 AM

Couldn’t care less what old saggy chops has to say.

Bardsley sent off and Shawcross having to play 120 minutes on his return from injury are both plusses for us from last night. Frustrating seeing both Arsenal and Chelsea getting knocked out before the quarters, and ourselves not still being in the mix.

• 33 Ron Knee // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:00 AM

Irony abounds in football. We played badly last season yet survived relegation. We’re playing better now but we could get relegated.

• 34 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:19 AM

We have played shite football for thelst two or theree seasons scraped wins avoided relegation.
    Like you – we are playing decent football – actually enjoying going to the games
    BUT I got that funny feeling we could be relegated.

I put it to you – would you rather see us playing decent football and getting relegated.
    Crap football and just surviving – year on year

• 35 Ron Knee // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:24 AM

Tricky one! If we get relegated Fatso might decide he’s had enough. I think we’ll always be relegation candidates while he’s in charge.

• 36 optimistic prime // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:28 AM

Do you think we’re more likely to be relegated than the scum?

I’m not ready to panic yet, I’m with Catchy on this. I doubt many teams would want to play us at the weekend after Sundays result. Don’t get me wrong I’m as nervous as many but I’ve seen enough to think we can play our way out of this.

I couldn’t say the same about Villa or the scum and there’s a couple other teams that don’t look as good as us and are also starting to struggle with results.

Can’t see us finishing top ten but I can’t see us finishing bottom 3 either.
    We need a little luck and we’ll be flying.

• 37 cyprus // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:30 AM

What he says makes sense. After 10 points you can take stock, and 6 points is not much stock.

What concerns me is not the actual team, it’s not that bad. It’s the psychology. When we went down we weren’t THAT bad, though panic set in, results were going against… it was in the stars!

We mustn’t panic. Come January, we must find a goal machine and a multi-positional back, who can handle RB, LB and CB; in all these positions we have weaknesses. It’s not about the CB alone. But, before January, we need to play like we did first halves Soton, Chelsea, City, and all of Sunderland, Norwich.

We can do it, it won’t be easy.

• 38 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:34 AM

Catchy…all I am saying is stats suggest otherwise (if we don’t start winning games)

We might be relegated already when January comes (don’t expect money to be spend then)

I’ll say if we don’t win a game before our 15th game then relegation is almost a certain (there’s never a certain untill there is:) )

• 39 Ron Knee // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:34 AM

I’ve got a feeling it could be:”Poor unlucky Newcastle – too good to go down, but they did!”

• 40 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:46 AM

Me I think we you can perm three from six for relegation
    Newcastle United
    and West Brom who I think will be dragged into it

It also depends on:
    If (we have a great chance with teams we play) between now and the opening of the transfer window to win games and get into the mix of the bottom ten.
    and: who recruits best in the transfer window and how quick the new players integrate.

Me going to be a squeeky bum season but if we stay up keep McLaren and the squad, build and play the type of footrball we are trying to play
    I think next season will a good season for Newcastle United

• 41 sparky55 // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:46 AM

The maths and the odds of us staying up don’t stack up based on keeping the same personnel we have now.

This team will not all of a sudden come good because I don’t believe the individual parts can play any better than they are now or have shown up until now.

We are playing good football going forward…we play with much more controlled possession…there confidence levels are good and the players are playing for the manager…which is all good and so much better than we’ve seen for years…but our defence and two components of our midfield are no where near the level we need to survive.

If SM keeps on playing the same players he’s played for the last two games we will go down. We beat Norwich in a game that could have been 6-6 and we lost to the scum 3-0 albeit we were down to 10 men…but the fact remains both teams are relegation fodder just like we are and we have to change personal to get the team to a different level which means we won’t consistently ship two goals a game.

If he doesn’t stop picking Colo and doesn’t get a better class CDM then we’re fcuked and we’ll go down playing great football but with the worst goals against record ever.

something has to change

• 42 jimmysmith // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:46 AM

McClaren has no recent EPL experience, other than a bit of coaching at QPR under old meatface, and we know what happened there.

We are playing football, and at times looking good, but that might not cut the mustard as the season grinds on, and our adversaries in the bottom three are taking a more pragmatic approach.

It seems counter intuitive, but playing this better football, might just be the very thing that does relegate us.

I don’t know that if push does come to shove. McClaren really does know what’s required to win sufficient points, given his lack of engagement with the league since Boro, and his clear remit to play better football, and the players he has at his disposal. Hardly scrappers.

• 43 hibbitt // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:49 AM

charlie / ron …..floppy chops can be a pain but till we got some points on the board were in BIG TROUBLE and he’s right people on here keep saying we are playing better football we won’t go down come january we will buy who will come to a team in the bottom 3 ……….we are in a relegation fight yes its easy on the eye but we need points now….we can give all the excuses in the the world but they don’t count ……..we are in a relegation fight now

• 44 martoon // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:52 AM

Jail for Ashley @14 – I think it showed that Wednesday are a very good championship team. Arsenal still had a pretty strong team out – decent defence including Gibbs & Mertesacke and Giroud up front.
    Yes we should be beating them but it did show they are no mugs!

• 45 firebug666 // Oct 28, 2015 at 7:58 AM

I don’t think we will go down, as OP said @ 36, “We need a little luck and we’ll be flying”, or maybe just an unbiased referee.

We still have 28 games left, the team is showing improvement each week and as everyone knows football is swings and roundabouts, we have had a poor start and some poor decisions against us but over the season they tend to balance out.

I said at the start of the season that we would finish about 15th, and I still think we will.

• 46 mag_1892 // Oct 28, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Does anyone actually care what Harry redknapp has to say about anything

previous post: Shearer Tweets Reaction To Red Card Being Overturned