The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Can Newcastle Come Back With Win Against Stoke?

9:28 am, Wednesday, October 28th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 59 Comments

The Sunderland defeat is now history unfortunately and that´s now a massive six-game winning streak we have going against us.

But hey – maybe we can stop that losing streak in March when we host Sunderland at St, James´ Park.

Maybe.

Steve McClaren +Sunderland+v+Newcastle+United+1aa_pvvSYSel

Steve McClaren at the end of the game on Sunday

It´s over now and we have to look forward to the visit of Stoke City on Saturday and they beat Chelsea on penalties last night  to advance to the quarter-finals of the League Cup.

Sheffield Wednesday, who beat us in the last round also had a surprise win at home to Arsenal and are also in the quarter-finals.

Hopefully, we can start to turn our season around with a win on Saturday.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Stoke?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Match Preview · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

59 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:32 AM

Ashley and his bog brush Churnley Out!

• 2 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:33 AM

First voter whoop whoop geeeettt iiiinnnnn, fcukin dancer loooook at that GOOOOOOOAAAAAAAAAAAAALLLLLLLLLLLLLL!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 3 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:35 AM

Of course we can win but going to be tough as we do not have battlers like Stoke.
    If we attack them with pace I think we could hurt them

• 4 Obafan // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I have got a question about watching the game. Normally I watch every game on livestream but Saturday I won’t be able to watch the game live.

1. Is there any possibitlity tyo watch the live stream later (e.g. in the evening) via a certain website?

2. Is there any possibility of recording the live stream (e.a. firstrow link)? I have to be able then to record the stream 1 hour in advance because I won’t be able to start recording at the beginning.

I hope someon can help me because I would really love to see the complete 90 minutes and not just the highlights.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I’m not sure why anyone would think we’ll lose, if we do there’s no going back, the season started two games ago??? and these are the type of teams we simply have to beat, there can be no excuse of playing well in the first half if we end up getting beat at the end as where does the rot stop if that’s the case, I am predicting relegation if we get beat on Saturday.

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:44 AM

Obafan,
    Sorry I can’t help you, I prefer the radio to live streams.

• 7 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Obafan,
    Are you an Oba fan ?

• 8 Ibizatoon // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:46 AM

Jail…I wonder where we sit in this 2 game season? 1 win and 1 loss. Hey, we’ll have a positive goal difference too…

• 9 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Ibizi,
    Murky waters my friend as the rest of the league might argue a case of the season starting eleven games ago !

• 10 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Ibiza,
    How you getting on with the Duolingo ?

• 11 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:53 AM

Ibizi ???

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:53 AM

That’s in Italy is it not ?

• 13 Ibizatoon // Oct 28, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Ha ha, sounds about right, but I’m sticking with Spanish for now 🙂

Managed a 3 day streak, but then life got in the way again. Weak, I know.

It looks good. Will definitely dive in more in a couple of weeks when I’m sort of “finished work” for this year.

As for the other teams caring about the first few games of the season, I’m sure they wont mind too much, once the club explains the difficulties of transitioning from a billboard to a football club.

• 14 Ibizatoon // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:00 AM

Although Ibizi could be the name of a new Apple personal assistant bot.

Get your IBusy now.

Let’s discuss this further Jail, could use some extra cash over Christmas.

• 15 sing in the corner // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:10 AM

OP
    Getting déjà vu with this Colback topic. A game of opinions, as they say, but frankly I’m staggered when anyone complaining about Colback can talk about preferring Anita.
    Mentioning de Jong is irrelevant as he’s not even fit, hasn’t played any amount of football forever now. On paper he’s good but he’s way off right now. Pulling Wij into CM isn’ t the answer – have you seen something in his defensive or tackling ability that I haven’t? Tiote, well same as de Jong in terms of recent showing, and did you see him in the 1st quarter hour on Sunday?

• 16 Tsunki // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:24 AM

I don’t ‘ prefer’ Anita in as much as I ‘ prefer’ someone better in that position, but he prepared to be staggered once more, Sitc, as I think Anita offers more than Colback in the headless chicken stakes AND he’s a better and more creative passer. We can do better than both though imho.

• 17 Tsunki // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:25 AM

If you get déja vu with a colback topic, try a Par…. no, no I won’ t 😐

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:26 AM

Colback was signed because he was free, Anita was signed because he cost 6.7M and they thought they would get 20M for Cabaye or Tiote or both, neither was signed because we needed them at the time or their outstanding ability.

• 19 Tsunki // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:28 AM

A bit disappointed in Anita though I thought he’d he’d be a bit of an engine but he only puts his foot down twice a season.

• 20 Tsunki // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:30 AM

In all the furore over colos red though, not much has been made of cattermole and his mackem thug cronies getting into Colback without a card waved. Another example of the refs ineptitude.

• 21 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:32 AM

From NUFC.com Waffle section.
    ”The head coach and his staff may well share our reservations with the flawed transfer policy that has left us with half a dressing room unfit for purpose, but by fair means or foul he’s got to keep this team plugging away on the front foot”

• 22 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:33 AM

I wonder where bills son is these days to argue with veins sticking out of the side of his neck that it is not a flawed policy but the best one we’ve ever had.

• 23 toon kk // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:33 AM

Stoke will become too strong for us come the second half, certain players tire, heads go down and our useless defence falls apart, so I predict a another loss.
    there’s definitely sign’s of improvement but until our defence is revamped we’ll be letting goals in on every game we play.

• 24 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:40 AM

toon kk,
    If we keep losing signs of improvement are not worth a to$$, how long before we start saying well at least Steve is playing good football so we’ll get out of the Championship first time round with another 50m loan.

• 25 Jail for Ashley // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:42 AM

Also from NUFC.com
    ”McClaren deserves sympathy and support rather than abuse for that. Drive him out and Heaven only knows what sort of clown would replace him.”
    Niall and Biffa seem to have lost faith that we’ll get a FDB or a Remy Garde !

• 26 toon kk // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Jail
    The big question is when will the club learn from its own mistakes? Resale is still being the foremost even before our premier league status.

• 27 lochinvar // Oct 28, 2015 at 10:55 AM

Tsunki @20

Spot on.
    If Colback is out injured until the New Year that is another breach of our overstretched defence options.
    That it might be due to the cowardly attempts of Cattermole to hurt an ex colleague is typical of a thuggish mind set that was ignored by one of the most incompetent naive ref displays I can remember. What the FA circus though they were doing by appointing a rookie ref and not someone more competent defies logic. And no one mentions the Linesmen – I though they were meant to help with incidents – they were completely AWOL as far as I can tell. Maybe Moanrinio has a point – some games and some clubs and some situations are just beyond the capability of your average ref – the sooner we have TMO the better.

The other concern is keeper – Elliot is a trier but is that enough ? We need a taller keeper who can also get down quickly and command his box and the defence – I saw none of that on Sunday – could do with Peter Schmichael or similar !

Make Windj Captain and I sense that the team would respond positively.

Rant over.

• 28 Jib // Oct 28, 2015 at 11:03 AM

The Colback situation is probably , in the big picture , more concerning than Tim Krul’s.

Is it going to be square pegs again with Gouffran coming in ?

This could have been Gael Bigirimana’s big chance but he got a red against Derby for the U21’s last week and so is out of contention.

Looking on the bright side , with the paucity of match-available holding midfielders McClaren may see his best option to go for width , and in the words of Dennis “attack attack Toon attack “

• 29 martoon // Oct 28, 2015 at 11:56 AM

OP – if you’re still around you were asking about your predictions.
    I’m going to have to give you a grovelling apology because I can’t find them in my spreadsheet – I must have missed them! If you can remember what they were (I’ll trust you) or know where they are on the blog I’ll add them.

• 30 posada // Oct 28, 2015 at 12:12 PM

He’s been at the club 7 years or so. Collo that is. In that time we have had some excellent runs and some dreadful ones, with nothing in the middle. He always seems to be at the centre of that.
    Is he happy, does he want to stay, is his contract to his liking etc.
    I heard from one of the younger players that him and Jonas when he was here really are Toon through and through.
    Does anyone know what the actual crack is on this.

• 31 posada // Oct 28, 2015 at 12:16 PM

Someone mentioned Bigi. Three years ago he was playng the Toite role better than Toite and also offerred the prospect of the odd goal.
    An excellent manager would at least get some games out of him.
    Remember when Sir Bobby brought Pistone in from the cold, then sold him to Everton for a couple of million.
    Genius.

• 32 lochinvar // Oct 28, 2015 at 12:16 PM

posada@30

As in Crown Pasada ?

Anyway…maybe Colo is missing his buddy Jonas and when he was here that was good for his mindset with all his apparent personal tribulations.
    Happy players are good players etc etc

• 33 JamesToon // Oct 28, 2015 at 12:24 PM

Hopefully the colback injury will force the club to buy someone like Granit Xhaka

• 34 davetoon // Oct 28, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Its bat sh1t crazy that WIN is the favoured response. Sure we have been playing better but we wont keep a clean sheet so need at least 2, more likely 3 goals to win so until we see the team learn how to defend, you couldn’t possibly tip a win

• 35 posada // Oct 28, 2015 at 12:45 PM

Lochinvar
    Tribulations like the wife does not understand me and the girlfriend does not appreciate me. Enough said about that. I’ve never been that lucky, but perhaps I still could be if I was on 60K a week.
    Yes, just like the Crown Posada.
    Apparently a Posada is a magnificent but pointless obbsession.
    Like Train Spotting.
    Or in my case supporting NUFC.
    That might not be quite right as I had been drinking when I was told the tale.
    In said bar.

• 36 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 28, 2015 at 12:54 PM

Sav, you say, “Colo is one of the better defenders I’ve watched in 45 years following Newcastle. He’s had his bad days but he has become a scapegoat for some fans. For the penalty on Sunday equal blame has to go to Tiote for needlessly giving away possession. Colo has played in a series of dodgy defences at Newcastle.”

Sav, so you do blame Colo, yet try to make excuses for him. I simply don’t understand this devotion shown by you and others, who at one time perhaps worshipped Colo. If he was ever good, he’s not anymore. Can’t you see that he’s now a liability and has been for a long time?

The longer Makro persists with him, the more it convinces me that he is another bang average manager who is not good enough. A good manager would weigh up the situation, wield the axe, and come up with a wily plan and a yactical masterstroke.

• 37 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 28, 2015 at 12:56 PM

Same goes for Costco, whose job it is to work improve the defence.

• 38 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:02 PM

Sav
    It would not be difficult to be one of the better defenders in the last 45 years. I can barely think of a good one. That is the reason we have won F.A. in all that time.

• 39 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:05 PM

And one more thing as I sit in Costa in the metrocentre. Why am I talking to myself?

• 40 smudgethecat // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:05 PM

I think there is no way ahead for NUFC as long as Ashley remains in control,

maybe a sale of the club will produce an owner with ambitions other than selling more jerseys, but even this comes with huge risks.

Stoke – stodgy team. one goal win, or draw best case i think.

alternative press review of current circumstances

• 41 davetoon // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:07 PM

WTF is Sav? a part of your fractured self?

• 42 posada // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:09 PM

B and B yeh a good manager would weigh up the Collo situation and sort it out. Fergy, Cloughie Bobby. Not sure we have that in charge.
    I remember a game we played a few years ago against Wolves. Fletcher played for them. We won 4-1 and Fletcher did not get a kick. Fletcher told a friend of mine that Collo was outstanding and different class.
    Trouble is he is now 33. Is he too far over the hill. It happens and sometimes suddenly between the ages of 30-35.

• 43 Jib // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:12 PM

I wonder , nah , British officials are straight

aren’t they ?

• 44 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Colo has not become a scapegoat. He has been identified as a liability. Of course, there are other problems. But Colo is shockingly bad. He is fooling many fans who just don’t see it. I know exactly how Toonbrother feels. In the only game we’ve won, Colo did his best to cock it up. We needed to score six to win because it took six to kill Norwich off Norwich’s hope. Anyone who thinks Colo is the man has to ask why we’ve flirted with relegation for so long. Many of the players aren’t good enough, but particularly him.

• 45 posada // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:13 PM

Watch the incident again. He reacts slowly and just can’t deal with it. A couple of years ago he would have.
    Have the feeling the whole team will be having to play a particular way to make allowances for him.
    The line we defend ( deep ) and not pushing up like other teams as we simply can’t leave space in behind.
    Even though his CB partner is quick we cannot protect him for 90 minutes.
    It’s just not possible. Hence we play well for 30-40 minutes and then suddenly the other team score with a simple break away.

• 46 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Posada
    Colo will be 34 in less than three months.

• 47 jimmysmith // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:25 PM

Wasn’t Colo in the EPL team of the year a couple of years ago, and of interest to Man City, and still playing for Argentina. Wanted not just as skipper by McClaren this season, but also by Pardew at Palace, who surely knows his capacity inside out.

Anyone would think your average EPL centre back was putting in faultless displays by comparison. His problem is more he plays for us, not so much the other way around, as far as I can tell.

• 48 Jib // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:26 PM

I think Sparky will come for a point.
    I think he wll probably get it .

• 49 martoon // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:28 PM

posada @41 – Exactly the same thing happened to Rio Ferdinand. One season he was one of the best defenders in the world and the next he was dropping ricks all over the place and ended up hardly getting a game at QPR although to be fair at QPR his wife was very ill which couldn’t have helped.

• 50 posada // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:32 PM

B and B
    34 eh. Trouble is I think dark forces are at work behind the manager.
    We paid a lot for that player so you have to pick him.
    We have given him an extension on big wages so you have to pick him. Something like that.
    I can support this team and the manager. We did well against Chelsea and Norwich.
    Will always feel we are going nowhere with the powers that be. The footballing board and Graeme Carr. A lot of their decisions are dreadful.
    Toe van – what on earth is that about.

• 51 posada // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:39 PM

Martoon
    It will happen. It’s also impossible to say when. It’s nature and we are all different.
    At Man U some years ago they had a policy. Over 30 you were given a one year deal. Even Giggs, Scholes and all their top players.
    We give him a 2 year deal at nearly 34.
    I do think Collo and his agent have been very good at working manipulating the club into getting favourable terms over his time.
    He’s been good, but he’s never been that good.
    EPL of the year a couple of years back ? So was Stevie G but Liverpool managed him out at just the right time.

• 52 Tsunki // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:45 PM

Thauvin is looking an awful lot like one of those agents’ favours.

• 53 Jib // Oct 28, 2015 at 1:51 PM

Au Contraire Monsieur Tsunki

you couldn’t be wronger (more wrong ?)

• 54 Tsunki // Oct 28, 2015 at 2:00 PM

I said LOOKING like though 🙂 interesting story. Makes you wonder why they bothered to go to the trouble of being underhand. It smells like a favour to somebody though, he’s gash.

And I prefer wrongerer if you’re going to get it wrong, might as well be wrongest of all 😀

• 55 Jib // Oct 28, 2015 at 2:03 PM

I must agree Tsunki the deal still has a pescatorial odour to it.
    I do not trust zese damned froggies.

• 56 Tsunki // Oct 28, 2015 at 2:27 PM

When you see deals like the Chucky one you’d be forgiven for thinking there’s a rabbit off here or there somewhere. Thauvins whole demeanour looks weird to me. I got that Cabella was overawed by the PL, but Thauvin looks like he’s supposed to be somewhere else. I can’t see him doing anything.

• 57 Tsunki // Oct 28, 2015 at 2:55 PM

Getting a bit dull and dreary now. Ok Ed, how about a fresh article on the current plight of our Manager, the lack of Charlie Austins about the place, the Curse of Carver and of course the old favourite, the Scourge of the Pardew Out Swarm / Rabble / Mob / Mass / Array / Shower / Gathering / Crew / Company / Neanderthals / Pack / Herd / Collection / Drove / Gaggle / Multitude / Churls / Peasants / Plebians / Convention / Host / Army / Troupe / Sea / Horde / Flood / Band / Group / Riff -Raff / Ranks / Hoi – Polloi / Throng / Set / Flock / Cluster……….

• 58 Sir Eric // Oct 28, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Obafan-

Use matchhighlight.com to watch a full replay of the match. they usually are up a few hours after the match is played.

• 59 Burni // Oct 28, 2015 at 5:43 PM

Id say we will win and maybe win a few more after this too. The way we have played recently is good in all fairness. And even some of the games earlier in the season we have played well but come away with nothing or just a point. Fingers crossed

previous post: This Is Definitely Newcastle´s Achilles Heel