The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren Apologizes To Newcastle Fans

9:31 pm, Thursday, October 29th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 47 Comments

Steve McClaren sent an email to all Newcastle fans before the derby game last Sunday at Sunderland saying his team were ready for the game against Sunderland and that the players would basically give their all to try to break the five-game losing streak we had going against the Black Cats.

W didn´t and lost 3-0 – but the circumstances of the game were that we were well on top until just before half time.

Coloccini was adjudged to have fouled Steven Fletcher in the penalty when the captain slightly nudged the Sunderland man who went flying as though he had been hit by a freight train.

The penalty was given and Colo was sent off and then Adam Johnson converted the penalty.

Steve McClaren Fabricio Coloccini +Sunderland+8CaC--7fiw7l

Steve McClaren as Coloccini was sent off

So after completely dominating the game in the first 45 minutes we went in at half-time 1-0 down and with 10 men.

The red card has since been rescinded by the FA but they have charged Newcastle with not controlling their players after the red card was issued.

The referee they appointed was not experienced enough and completely messed up and wrecked the game for Newcastle – and yet they level a charge against Newcastle – who were essentially robbed of 3 points by the double mistake from rookie referee Robert Madley.

Only the woeful FA could have the audacity to do something like that – presumably to try to save some face.

Steve has apologized to the fans for the result but not for the performance – which was very good in the first half and good even with 10 men in the final 45 minutes – but we lost our 6th game in 10 this season in the league.

And we have now lost six games in a row to Sunderland – the first time in history any team has lost six in a  row in this famous derby game.

Steve says the training has been positive this week and that the lads will be ready for the game on Saturday at home to Stoke.

Hopefully, we can repair some of the damage done at Sunderland and get 3 points for the fans on Saturday -but it will not be easy.

Here is McClaren’s full transcript:

Sunday’s derby defeat hurt us all and every one of us is sorry that we couldn’t deliver you the victory you deserved.

I am certain that if it hadn’t been for Colo’s sending off, we would have delivered you that victory.

But with the news of our successful appeal, we draw a line under that match-defining moment and focus on recreating the positives of the minutes that went before.

Even if you didn’t see the game on Sunday, you’ll know that we bossed it in the first half and hardly gave our hosts a kick.

With ten men on the pitch we were still the stronger side for large parts of the second half, despite what the score line suggests. We kept attacking the game and that meant gaps opened up that our opponents were able to exploit.

In spite of the result, training this week has been nothing but positive and preparation has been first class.

There’s been no feeling sorry for ourselves. Just a group of players and staff who want to show you how passionately we care about your club.

We’ll put all of the positives and the passion into delivering you three points on Saturday.

Over the season so far I’ve seen real improvement in our game, particularly over the last month. Our bond and blend as a team gets more solid with every game and the mood in the camp is very optimistic, regardless of our current position in the table.

I’m confident we can take the best of our performances to date and start turning them into points.

Stoke have been on a decent run of late and I certainly didn’t see their home defeat to Watford coming. I know Mark Hughes well and he will see that as a huge disappointment.

They’ll be especially keen to put on a show this weekend and make up for that loss. That makes it even more imperative that we’re on our game and able to stand up to anything the likes of Bojan and Shaqiri might throw at us.

We’re prepared and ready.

Sadly we won’t have Jack Colback in our line-up this weekend after the results of a further scan on his right knee today. Unfortunately this injury, which was sustained at the Stadium of Light on Sunday, will see him out for up to six weeks and we all wish Jack the very best in his recovery.

Be assured that in spite of the events of the past week, we go into this weekend’s game with nothing but belief, spirit and total determination to reward your loyalty and support with the three points you deserve.

Tags: Derby · Newcastle News · Other News · Premier League

47 responses so far ↓

• 1 SUTTY1978 // Oct 29, 2015 at 10:02 PM

If were going to sign anyone in January it will be from The Mondial agency. This is a list of there players

You will see some familiar names on there…

• 2 The next Mike Williamson // Oct 29, 2015 at 10:31 PM

Has that fat league 1 goalie made any saves yet? I never feel too confident with Elliot playing.

• 3 Bobbybee // Oct 29, 2015 at 10:33 PM

From previous. Our toon, you must be getting paranoid mate, there was no dig, I was backing up basically what you said.
    Bladeuser, you’re just an idiot. Do you genuinely support the Toon or are just another mackem wum? I can’t recall many times you having a good word to say about anybody connected at Newcastle, just bleat, bleat bleat. Get your carer to reread it to you and you’ll see I’m showing appreciation for his efforts, which nobody can deny he always gave 100%. I acknowledge his lack of talent, yet praise his total committment and wish him well in a league where he’ll be better suited. Now, you explain to me where that says I think he’s Messi – or even a PL footballer. He gave his all for the Toon, despite not being quite good enough and clearly, the majority upon here get my point. Sod it, why waste my time, you’re just too thick to understand.

• 4 geordie157 // Oct 29, 2015 at 10:40 PM

Team for Stoke

Mbabu, Mbemba, Colo, Dummett
    Janmaat, Sissoko, Anita, Wijnaldum
    Perez, Mitrovic

Woodman, Haidara, Lascelles, Tiote, Aarons, Thauvin, De Jong

yep no Cisse.

• 5 Our Toon // Oct 29, 2015 at 10:42 PM

Ahaha I’m not getting paranoid thought what you wrote further up was directed at me which was a bit odd considering we agreed earlier. Got the wrong end of the stick buddy apologies.

As for willo he’s still a toon player so I will continue to support those in B&W unless it’s Ashley of course!! Feeling confident for the Stoke game, hopefully we get the win

• 6 Our Toon // Oct 29, 2015 at 10:47 PM

Geordie 157

How many goals are Stoke going to score with that team you’ve selected then? Janmaat as a winger, has anyone ever seen him play in that position?

Most frustrating thing about Janmaat of late is his persistence to continuously cut inside. We need to play a DM and Anita isn’t one, Sissoko doesn’t work hard enough centrally so can’t play that role. Tiote needs games and more importantly we need someone in there who can help the team. He did well against the mackems. Picked up a yellow but he gave good protection!!

• 7 Our Toon // Oct 29, 2015 at 10:47 PM

I’m off catch up tomorrow with you all

• 8 Jib // Oct 29, 2015 at 10:56 PM

I’ve long believed that Bladeuser in the real world is actually Lee Cattermole.

He goes flying around the blog lashing out at all and sundry just like Clatters does on the football pitch.

• 9 Bobbybee // Oct 29, 2015 at 10:59 PM

Our toon, thank god for that, I thought I was cracking up 😉 All I’m doing is what any decent human being would do – thanking a good servant and wishing him all the best for the future. We all know he was a Championship player and hopefully he’ll excell for Wolves, bur have you ever seen him hide in a game? He’s even adapted to Macca’s new style as best he can. I’ve no time for people who bully our players and would love to see any one of them do it face to face with him. Have you ever heard him complain? No. And if bladeuser is so good, who’s he ever played for? Clown. Most people get my point, but there’s always one who fails to grasp the concept that you can praise someone for their effort, without rating him as a player. Thauvin was happy to take the 15m transfer and all the goodies that go with it, yet now he’s wanting out. THAT was the point that sailed clean over dumbo’s heed.

• 10 Bobbybee // Oct 29, 2015 at 11:02 PM

Jib, you hit the nail on the head mate. Now, using that same hammer…. 😉

• 11 Fostino // Oct 29, 2015 at 11:08 PM

I think sissoko wini and tiote as a midfield trio sounds good. Perez and rolando or thauvin on the wings. Nitro up front.

• 12 Bobbybee // Oct 29, 2015 at 11:31 PM

Macca’s philosophy is clearly starting to get through to the players. Easy enough for the better quality ones, but even the less talented players are picking it up. Even the most diehard mackem has to agree we destryoed them first half until the blatant error from the ref. Yes, we should have scored, but recall the game in 96/7when a win against Manure would have won us the league. We did EVERYTHING but score, but Schmeichel had a blinder and we missed chance after chance. Life’s like that. Does that mean that Toon side was crap? No! We were unlucky that day. As on Sunday, we were just not destined to score even before the divvie in the middle spoiled it. My point is, we are improving every game now and if we carry on, we should beat Stoke and then onwards and upwards. Our first half was a delight to watch, missing only a goal or two, but we’ve got the players to do it. January will bring more improvements and so will next summer. No quick fix, but serious improvement on the last two seasons. Just keep the faith and the rewards will come. We survive this season and push on next. Give Macca chance to get us playing his way and we won’t regret it. Let the mackems worry about relegation, it won’t be bothering us.

• 13 KevinLee // Oct 29, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Apologizes again & again

• 14 Tsunki // Oct 30, 2015 at 12:02 AM

I’ve always thought that in the real world, Jeff, you don’t exist.

• 15 Tsunki // Oct 30, 2015 at 12:04 AM

So, Steve, I really appreciate your email. But isn’t it really the same email we got last week? Should I just get ready to receive another “We’re ready and raring to go” email every week from now on? I think so.

• 16 Shadow_Shearer // Oct 30, 2015 at 12:46 AM

Anybody reckon freddy should be given a chance over Elliot?? I thought woodman didn’t look out of place at all in that preseason game. I can’t remember a single save Elliot has made in the last two games

• 17 Shadow_Shearer // Oct 30, 2015 at 12:50 AM

My team for Stoke

Janmaat mbemba dummet mpou
    Sissoko colo anita wijnaldum
    Perez mitro

• 18 Mister Tuff // Oct 30, 2015 at 1:07 AM

Whilst I agree with improved communication from the club – as opposed to the previous none – I am struggling to see the point of this latest email from Wally.
    When I read the last FF minutes it is pretty clear the club do not want to really tell fans what’s going on.
    Unless it’s Wallys ten game progress report.

• 19 jimmysmith // Oct 30, 2015 at 1:10 AM

Well, I am very happy with aspects of our play, and I do think we have some terrific players, probably two thirds a top six side, but that hasn’t amounted to a hill of beans thus far, and this idea that it will turn around, is surely as much said in hope as expectation. It’s been ten weeks and still precious little money on the mantelpiece. This is a tough league, a real grind. I like McC and what he’s doing, but this task he’s been given was the result of mismanagement, and we are clearly in trouble as a result, maybe big trouble.

• 20 Ron Knee // Oct 30, 2015 at 5:27 AM

Colback’s injury made the BBC sports news this morning. Must be a very slow news day.

• 21 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 30, 2015 at 5:45 AM

Speaking of the FF meeting! Where’s the minutes?

Not that it really matters cause we all know no questions of importance were asked and if there they will not figure in the minutes.

These minutes are probably as pointless as the football we’re watching these days.

• 22 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 30, 2015 at 5:46 AM

Morning Ron

• 23 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 30, 2015 at 5:47 AM

*if there were

• 24 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 30, 2015 at 5:52 AM

We have played 10 games so far and basically have four games to make or break this season!

That means in four games time our season could be defined – a bit scary isn’t it. What happens if we cannot pick up the points and will both McClaren and Charmley be given until January anyway?

And what then? Alot of scary questions here to be answered!

• 25 Ron Knee // Oct 30, 2015 at 5:53 AM

Morning jesper
    Re the minutes/football: sad but true!

• 26 Jamseyd24 // Oct 30, 2015 at 5:59 AM

Janmaat, Mbemba, Colo, Hidara
    Tiote, Wijnaldum
    Sissoko DeJong Perez

• 27 Ron Knee // Oct 30, 2015 at 5:59 AM

Napoleon is supposed to have said: “I know he’s a good general, but is he lucky?” Percy had the devil’s luck, but does McClaren? Not on the evidence so far.

• 28 Jamseyd24 // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:03 AM

Does anyone else think we need a strong defensive midfielder as much as we need a replacement for colo??

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:12 AM

Ron…as this point I’ll take all the luck we can get…

…but usually luck doesn’t come looking for you; you’ll have to seek it out 😉

• 30 jimmysmith // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:14 AM

I think right now we need a quality box to box central midfielder, and a quality LB, although given time Haidarra might become that quality left back we need, and Sissoko or Widjnaldum the box to box midfielder.

Either way we are at least two starters light, right now.

• 31 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:14 AM

I don’t want an out and out defensive midfielder. They would need to be much more than that. We need creative ability in their and someone who can control play and tempo from a deeper position.

• 32 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:18 AM

Ideally in January we need a commanding and vocal centre half, a dominant midfielder who can win tackles and create, plus a centre forward to put pressure on Mitro/provide back up to Mitro.

We need width and fullbacks as well, but I think those three are the most crucial for Jan, and at least one of those roles should have been filled in the summer rather than hoping that all three of Colo, Tiote, and Cisse would find form, improve and maintain any semblance of interest.

• 33 Jamseyd24 // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:21 AM

Someone like cabaye you mean? we slipped up not bringing him back.

• 34 jimmysmith // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:23 AM

Lilo, I think Cisse is history, Colo in his final one or two seasons of usefulness, but that Tiote can still play a pivotal role, if he can be complimented by a Cabaye style player.

In fact, given a Cabaye style player, Colback might also thrive.

• 35 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:24 AM

On Willo, good luck to him at Wolves. Hope he does well for them. For all concerned it is best to hope it is a successful move, as it could lead to a concrete offer come January, freeing up a squad space and allowing him to play regularly. Win Win.

• 36 Reyantoon // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:28 AM

I can’t see us signing all those players u mentioned,unless we get in to further trouble by Jan,just like we were in 12/13.May be Matip will arrive to replace Williamson.
    Are you in cukoo land too (smiley)?

• 37 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:29 AM

Yeah, Cabaye would have been ideal. He has made more tackles than any player in our team, and has made more interceptions. He has also made more passes then any player in our squad (just ahead of Colback) with a solid and respectable accuracy. Plus he adds a goal threat from set pieces.

Still, I can see why we didn’t bring him back, and I’m not really one for going back in for someone who has left, particularly such a quick turnaround. Pleased to see him doing well again.

I’d like Tiote to get back to form I think he is very effective when he is allowed to just do the things he is good at. Cabaye would be the style of midfielder I’d want bringing in in January. Anyone too defensive and we end up in a similar position of having too little creativity in there.

Colo shouldn’t have got the extension, wouldn’t have minded him being at the club as a back up experienced centre half for this season though.

Cisse just doesn’t seem to fit with how McClaren wants to play – based on his appearances this season. He needs replacing.

• 38 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:31 AM

Willo leaving is not really an issue…he not going to have an impact anyway…

…but we could all have told the club that in the transfer window. The same going for Saylor being injured.

In there lies the issue I have!

• 39 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:38 AM

I said ‘ideally’. Realistically I’d expect one in Jan, maybe 2. I’d say we need a centre half and central midfielder in Jan to progress the squad further. Less than that and the clubs 3 window policy is in reality a 2 summer policy.

Matip isn’t the vocal organiser we need in the back line, so I’d be against signing him. He has a touch of the Brambles about him in that he needs to be kept under constant guidance by his defensive partner, currently Howedes. Even then he is prone to losing his man and lapses of concentration.

• 40 sing in the corner // Oct 30, 2015 at 6:56 AM

I’m pleased to see that ex makem Bardsley will be banned for the game against us this Saturday. He’d only go round clogging our players in the style of his old mate the thug Clattermole..
    Despite that this may be a tight, nervy game. An early goal will help of course, and although relying on luck is flimsy,ours has to turn sometime doesn’t it. Seems we have had our share of misfortune.

• 41 Reyantoon // Oct 30, 2015 at 7:16 AM

Lil – Don’t know how good Matip is as I haven’t seen him much.But he was always and still is a starter at schalke.By the look of that,he may be an upgrade on Williamson.Not my preferred first choice but is the closest defender we can get.
    Not sure about the figure but I think he played about 200 games for Schalke.Plus he can also play as a defensive midfielder.Who knows he can be handy as he us a utility player… (smly)

• 42 will die for the toon army // Oct 30, 2015 at 7:27 AM

BACK from Mourning.

Sunderland was a disaster playing so well and losing so painful…… Colback is going to be a big miss very big.
    With the defence and attack set we have many options;
    1. Wijnaldum……..Sissoko…….Anita………Thauvin/ Aarons
    2. Sissoko…….Tiote……..Anita…….Wijnaldum
    3. Sissoko. …..Anita……..De Jong. …….Wijnaldum
    4. Janmatt……Sissoko. ……..Anita……..Wijnaldum with Mbabu at RB.

• 43 will die for the toon army // Oct 30, 2015 at 7:34 AM

I think De Jong is a striker in the EPL with him being so weak. Aarons has his chance to shine he shld take it.

• 44 hibbitt // Oct 30, 2015 at 7:54 AM

reyantoon………..we need an upgrade for colo not 10/12 million upgrade for willo

• 45 Lilongwe Geordie // Oct 30, 2015 at 7:58 AM

Yeah, no doubt Matip would be an improvement on the squad, but he isn’t the best solution to our defensive problems. We are crying out for someone to organise and marshall the back line. Matip isn’t that person.

• 46 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 30, 2015 at 8:01 AM

transfer window
    We need someone who can take a free kick – got no one who can whip a free kick into the box area between goalkeeper and defenders

• 47 sing in the corner // Oct 30, 2015 at 8:29 AM

I just hope charley and his gaffer realise the situation NOW, and don’t bury their heads in the sand until it’s too late. I don’t think we will go down,it’s been well documented that there are at least 4 teams weaker than us. That is based on my belief that we have goals in us. But one more key injury or daft sale and that could change.

previous post: It Could Have Been A Lot Worse