The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Initial Comments From Steve McClaren’s Press Conference

2:43 pm, Friday, October 30th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 29 Comments

Steve McClaren was about 15 minutes late for his press conference today for the important game against Stoke City tomorrow – it was due to start at 2:00pm.

The rumor was that he was tying up the January transfer of Joel Matip – but we cannot confirm that – well not completely.

Steve has said it has been a good week in training and that everybody got over the Sunderland tragedy quickly and the lads have been concentrating only on the Stoke game.

That’s good.

Steve McClaren Press Conference B+W Background

Steve McClaren – we have been focussed this week

Here are some of Steve’s initial comments this afternoon:

“We quickly got over the game and reviewed it. The progress you can see.”

“We will expect a vibrant, very good Stoke team who have an excellent manager and squad taking the club forward.” We have shown what we are capable of doing. At times our football has been excellent and we are creating chances.”

“The fans were excellent last week and we need that again tomorrow.”

“It’s been a good week, very focussed and intense. We’ve been reflecting on one of the strangest derbies I’ve been involved in.” “We are not feeling sorry for ourselves. If we perform like we did at Sunderland we will win eight or nine times out of 10.”

“Tim Krul has had his operation and is on the first small steps to recovery.” “Jack Colback is a very good midfielder and one of our leaders on the field. It gives other people an opportunity while he’s not there.”

“Vurnon has been great for us. He’s a tough character and the we will need him in up and coming games.” “It has been a roller-coaster 10 games and we have been up and down. We need to be consistent.”

With Stoke having had a tough mid-week game against Chelsea in the League Cup that went to extra time before they beat Chelsea on penalties 5-4, there’s a decent chance they could be tired for tomorrow’s game.

In a selfish way – we hope they are tired tomorrow.

Chelsea had only equalised in stoppage time with Loic Remy getting the goal in the 1-1 draw – so Joe Mourinho had another defeat in mid-week.

We need wins – and draws are not much use to us given where we are in the league table (19th), so this should be a great opportunity to get only our second time of the season.

Let’s hope we take it.

Howay The Lads!!

Tags: Coaching · Match Preview · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press Conference

29 responses so far ↓

• 1 catchy in norway // Oct 30, 2015 at 2:50 PM

i think Shteve playing Goofy in MF was just giving the player the opertunity to show him what he has to offer, i believe Shteve will not do that to often, he has to try all the players out in real game situations

• 2 catchy in norway // Oct 30, 2015 at 2:50 PM

have a great weekend eveyone, lets hope its a good one for us all

• 3 Ibizatoon // Oct 30, 2015 at 2:51 PM

Catchy…I was only playing with you on that one.

It is bizarre seeing you giving the manager such benefit of doubt though. Not a criticism, I just need to adjust 🙂

• 4 Bobbybee // Oct 30, 2015 at 2:54 PM

Fail for Ashley raises his drama queen head again. You are most certainly one who comes on generally to insult people which in fairness says so much about you that I’ll say no more. Birds of a feather etc and so forth.

• 5 geordieboy83 // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:06 PM

From previous thread, will you accept my sincerest apologies that I have single handed my ruined my beloved football by having a soft spot for willo. If only we had more players who were more technically gifted but didn’t bother trying. What I would do for kluivert, Owen, luque,sol Campbell and other such very talented footballers who didn’t deem it necessary to give there all for the club. We would never be in this mess with such a skilful array of players

• 6 hibbitt // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:07 PM

bobby are you trapped in today seems like you fancy a fight with every poster will you be able to go tomorrow at lest it looks like its going to be dry or does that make me a fairweather fan !!!!

• 7 dok - the horrid colonial // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:08 PM

color me an idiot, but my god, whenever we lose to the mackems, this blog goes to sh!t….

• 8 Bobbybee // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:15 PM

I fail to see much reason why Macca should change the team that were so superior in the first half v the mackems, apart from the injury situation. We’re lucky Jack is only out for six weeks, thanks to that idiot Cattermole, but as to who replaces him I suppose we’ll end up with Anita and Tiote. I’d like to see Gini pulled into midfield more and replace him with possibly Roberts on the wing – not sure where Aarons is medically. Thauvin wants out so I see no benefit playing him if his heart isn’t in it. Definitely need to go with two strikers at home though, Mitrovic and any one from Perez, Toney and Cisse. Personally I ‘d stick with Perez, but he needs to start scoring more imo. Either way I predict a 3-1 win. The eternal optimist.

• 9 Tsunki // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:33 PM

Well as someone who can sympathise with a back injury having had a non- muscular one for a month now that prevents me from sleeping, or even being able to assist in my own house move bar shout packing directions, I think I’ll give bobbybee the credit that such things put a man the edge. I think you still look like a guy walking through a corridor wind milling with his fists though. I’m not at one with this ‘ proper fan’ argument because I’ve found myself over the years yo-yoing between camps of supporter, and know what it’s like to be in and out of the mix. Ibiza cares enough to spend a lot of time on here over the years commenting, and historically in a very positive way actually, and the blog is, after all, patently designed for such posters as one of their few outlets. So if you’re going to be the archetypal True Supporter, be aware that Ibiza is joined by thousands of like posters worldwide, whom you are happy to paint with the same tarry brush. Bravo. I hope when the painkillers finally work you exit this egg and try and be a bit less petulant toward your fellow sympathisers who after all only voice an opinion, not slap you on the back with it. And please drop the “Pal” thing. It doesn’t work.

• 10 Pottsclock // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:38 PM

Agreed Geordieboy
    Nothing wrong with Willo. A good solid professional but with limited technical ability and pace. However, I too think he has served us well and deserves some credit for that.
    He was only £2m, is on low wages but I’d rather have him as a back up CB than some of the characters we have had and still have.

• 11 Jib // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:39 PM

By the way it isn’t Thauvin who’s regretting the move . His girlfriendcharlotte pirroni feels she was a bit hasty in moving to the NE.

• 12 kingkong // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:43 PM

Janmaat Mbemba Coloccini (c) Dummett
    Sissoko Wijnaldum Aarons
    ————- Mitrovic

• 13 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:45 PM

Where did the info come from that Thauvin is now regretting the move? I think i’v missed this and want to have a look.

And aye, his lass is her, top shelfer she is. Stunning.

• 14 Bobbybee // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:49 PM

Hibbitt, i simply respond and defend myself. Personally I have no row with anybody who doesn’t want one with me, but as i’ve said repeatedly, I won’t be called part Of the problem by some no mark who has never even seen SJP. To be frank, I ‘m bored with it, but he always has to make some comment to start it off. It bugs him because he knows I’m right – nobody who doesn’t go to games has any right to tell those who do not to go. What gives him that right? Nothing. He probably only comes on here because he’s upset everybody else on the island. He keeps insisting that the likes of me and you, who go regularly, are the reason Newcastle are where they are. We should boycott. That’s his agenda, not mine. People who don’t go, can’t boycott – is that really so difficult to understand? If I give up my ST, what will he give up? I support whoever wears the shirt mate; always have, always will. He doesn’t remember all the previous owners who’ve bled us dry – we do. Who’s going to buy the club? Will he be better or worse? It’s a gamble every time. It doesn’t bother him, but I don’t want to go back to watching Championship football or worse. This all started because I said if you can’t see the difference between the football this season and last, you ain’t watching or you just enjoy whining. It was a throw away comment that he insisted was insulting, just to start it off. I’m still waiting for someone to tell me the football was better under Carver or Pardew, so basically i was right. Big deal, it wasn’t meant for a row, but he just can’t help himself. Then he acts all coy and tries to backtrack, agreeing with everything anybody else says to garner support. It’s pathetic. In order to support a club you need to add something to it. We do it by going and buying merchandise. He does neither, yet thinks he can tell me how I should support my team. Sorry mate, but he can’t. Giving up my ST is never going to happen unless this medical problem prevents me – and it hasn’t thus far. There’s still enough in SJP that support my stance over his. He’s a trouble maker who thinks he’s important. He’s a nobody in reality and he will never get me to follow his pathetic agenda. I don’t respond to his drivel, he should just ignore me and we wouldn’t have this bollox. I come on to talk FOOTBALL, not politics about boycotting the club I love. Especially with somebody who’s not even a proper fan.

• 15 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:50 PM

Good weekend to you to Catchy!

• 16 John Tudor // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:55 PM

• 17 Jib // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:57 PM

Toon – Prodigy
    The Ronnie Gill and Shields Gazzette about a week ago had said that reports coming out of France were saying Toe Van was regretting his move but as usual the media ot hold of the wrong end of the stick.

• 18 Jib // Oct 30, 2015 at 3:58 PM

got – even

• 19 cyprus // Oct 30, 2015 at 4:06 PM

With 11 we should beat this team, by a margin.

Then again they beat Villa and Swansea away. How’d they do that? Or did we give the swans too much respect?

• 20 Jib // Oct 30, 2015 at 4:09 PM

Without posting too many links

Thauvin regrets the arguments he had with Payet at Marseilles

His girlfriend isn’t a big fan of England

Cabella regrets his move to NUFC

Somehow all that equals
    Thauvin regrets move

• 21 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 30, 2015 at 4:11 PM

Nice one jib,

What are peoples thoughts about bringing De Jong in and only playing with either Tiote or Anita as a holding Midfielder? Is De Jong fit? I don’t like the thought of both Tiote and Anita sitting, especially at home.

If he is to do out at NUFC De Jong needs to get out on the pitch.

• 22 BandB // Oct 30, 2015 at 4:14 PM

If we can turn the periods of good football into goals we will win.
    If not, we will have been robbed 🙂
    I’m trying to inure myself to unsympathetic refereeing, as I think we are likely to get a lot more of it before the season ends.

• 23 Tsunki // Oct 30, 2015 at 4:17 PM

I’ll go with –

GF = Airhead bimbo who cares more about tanning than other half’s career project.

The players in question are rightly taking a dislike to England because of their inability to transcend their simian – styled relinquishing and dairy products ingestion legacy.

• 24 Tsunki // Oct 30, 2015 at 4:20 PM

BandB – I’m not sure we have many sympathisers in the football world in general. We are something of a cruel joke played on the league to many non – Newcastle footballing folk. I think many are quite pleased we can’t turn our fancy Dan playing into actual wins. Otherwise they would have to find more innovative ways to make us lose 🙂

• 25 hibbitt // Oct 30, 2015 at 4:20 PM

tp….the club arn’t expecting de jong to start games till january he is working on his fitness and stamina with schoenmaker every day befor training

• 26 Tsunki // Oct 30, 2015 at 4:25 PM

SDJ is never going to be fit is he? I can’t see what he’s going to do after all this time to turn his consumptive carcass into an international – standard footballing prospect again.

• 27 BandB // Oct 30, 2015 at 4:26 PM

Just as some players end up having their card marked, I think our club’s may be marked too.
    All the “value for money” owners seem strangely unable to make their own luck, possibly because others with influence don’t agree it’s value for money.
    The league seems to have a way of weeding out the clubs with “colourful” owners.

• 28 Tsunki // Oct 30, 2015 at 4:33 PM

Of all the times stats have been dumped onto the blog to try and ‘prove’ points of view, I would actually welcome a stat- backed appraisal of where we are in the ‘results affected by poor refereeing and adjudication’ league. Bit of work I know but I’m sure somebody here is up to it…… 😉

• 29 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 30, 2015 at 4:34 PM

That’s a shame. This would of been a good opportunity for him I feel.

Im still not sure about Anita and Tiote in the middle at home.

previous post: Newcastle Striker In Big Demand