The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Addresses An Immediate Newcastle Problem

11:36 pm, Friday, October 30th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 39 Comments

I´m not the only Newcastle fan who has had their heart in their mouth during the first half of each of our last two games with a certain Mr. Cheick Tiote.

Cheick was booked after 5 minutes against Norwich City and after 14 minutes against Sunderland and then he was one more daft challenge away from being sent off for picking up a second yellow card and we would be down to 10 men and probably game over.

As it turned out last Sunday we did go down to 10 men when Colo was sent off just before half-time.

cheick tiote southampton ayg 2015

Cheick Tiote in action against Southampton in August

Cheick has seemed to be out of control at times the way he lunges into tackles and if he continues to do that he´s going to continue to pick up yellow cards.

In 130 appearances for Newcastle,  Cheick has picked up 49 yellow cards.

Jack Colback will be out injured for up to six weeks so we will have to rely on Cheick and Vurnon Anita and we need the Ivorian to stay on the field.

Steve McClaren was asked if he had to rein in Cheick and this is how Steve responded to that question:

“I know Cheicky, you know Cheicky” “You will know, don’t need me to tell you, but of course emotional control and control in a game is one of the key elements.”

“Already we’ve had three games with 10 men and we’ve got to learn from that. So play with a kind of intensity but that has to be controlled – and that includes Cheicky.”

“I thought he was excellent first-half last week against Sunderland, I really thought he was excellent.” “He got 45 minutes against Norwich – which he needed – and I thought he was excellent and I didn’t want to take him off.”

“But I just felt that we needed to attack this and score, there’s no point in him and Vurnon Anita being there, we need to go for it. The cards played a big role in that.”

“With Jack out we’ve got two midfield players now, so it´s a big responsibility on their shoulders.”/

Tiote and Anita are now big players for us in the next month or more while Jack Colback is out injured.

We hope they both have good games tomorrow against Stoke and Cheick gives us a controlled performance.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Stoke?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Cheick Tiote · Coaching · Match Preview · Poll · Premier League · Vurnon Anita

39 responses so far ↓

• 1 Bambams // Oct 30, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Ten minutes. ….Yellow card

You just know it

• 2 Mister Tuff // Oct 30, 2015 at 11:46 PM

Welsh – even though you are a tool I am genuinely sorry to hear the news about your old man. Hope he recovers.
    I beat the big C ten years ago -so have faith in the medics -they are getting better and more knowledgeable as the years go by and survival rates are increasing.

• 3 welshgeordie9 // Oct 30, 2015 at 11:52 PM

Mister Tuff

i know i can be a clown sometimes but thanks for that.

• 4 Bobbybee // Oct 30, 2015 at 11:54 PM

Welshie, my dad had lung cancer that spread to his bones, so i don’t think they can be fairly compared. To be frank, he died of malnutrition because he lost the will to eat, which meant a downhill rush. You must ensure he takes his nutrients mate, even if it means pouring them down his throat. Don’t, please, let him give up. Whether he’s hungry or not, make him eat. I resorted to giving him a spliff to make him eat and wish to god I ‘d done so earlier. Cannabis oil is a very strong anti cancer drug. There’s a film you can watch on you tube called ‘running from the cure’, about how canadian law is allowing cancer patients to die when he’s cured over two hundred terminal patients using his oil. He normally charges two grand, but if you can’t afford it he has a fund where he gives it away. It’s an incredible film mate and one you should watch and consider seriously. 200 terminally ill cures is mind blowing. I don’t know your stand on cannabis, but please, just take a look. If you choose to ignore it, then fine, no harm done. But in these situations, its always worth a look. You’ll find it on you tube really easy. I truly hope you consider it, because his results are amazing. Best wishes and best of luck my friend.

• 5 welshgeordie9 // Oct 30, 2015 at 11:59 PM

Bobbybee

Cheers mate thanks for the advice you have been awesome.

• 6 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:12 AM

Welshie, i just honestly wish i could be of more help. My heart genuinely goes out to you and your family. Please though, check that video out, i think you’ll be as shocked as i was. I just wish i’d known about it before it was too late. There’s a lot of bollox spouted about cannabis by people with their own agenda. It was made illegal purely because you can make a form of petrol and biodegradable plastic out of it, as well as numerous other safer products. The yanks banned it worldwide because it threatened their oil industry. It was used as a cure for millenia before they called it the evil weed and banned it. If i have to beg, i will. Please, check out that video, you have nothing to lose by just looking have you. Keep the faith brother.

• 7 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:41 AM

Firebug, try engaging yours before spouting the odds. I was accused of not showing respect for a throwaway comment about the massive improvement under Macca. My words were “if you can’t see it, you either ain’t looking or just enjoy whining.” It was SO OFFENSIVE nobody mentioned it, except ibiza, who always tries to draw me into an argument. So this time he got one, about his opinions of loyal fans who should give up their ST’s to support his crackpot agenda. Why should any of us do what he wants. When he gives up f#ck all? How you think that involves you, I have no idea, but as someone who went when he could go, it most certainly doesn’t and nowhere will you find me even suggest it. He put down my decades of loyal support as if it was meaningless and all that mattered was getting rid of Ashley. Other people remember it, so he changed tack to saying we loyal fans were just part of the problem. Part, whole, entire. Does it matter. As you will know, going to games is a badge of pride up here, not to be sniffed at by some nob who has never even seen SJP, let alone gone to a single game. I’ve been there, with a few thousand others, when times were really bad, so I find it incredibly offensive to have that loyalty snubbed and washed away as if it meant f#ck all. He has – nobody has – the right to tell me to give up my ST. It will only happen when my health, like your own, prevents me. So why on this planet would I call you? If you went to games, then boycotted – genuinely boycotted, not just stopped becausecweclost games

• 8 jimmysmith // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:00 AM

Bobby, I don’t think many would see a massive improvement no matter how hard they looked. We have played well at times, on occasion really well, but we’ve shipped twenty goals in ten games, and only scored ten ourselves, six of which came in one game, against naive opposition, which is the same number of goals as points gained so far, and sees us second bottom. It’s not whining to point out we aren’t cutting the mustard, nor to wonder if we can.

• 9 Graeme // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:03 AM

Welshie, just seen your post, my deepest sympathy mate. Trying to be positive, my Mum is 85 in December and was diagnosed with Stomache Cancer in 2009, was operated on, had 70% of her stomache removed and is still with us today.

It CAN be treated and it IS survivable. Give him the support and with the right treatment, he could still be with you for many years yet.
    Good luck mate.

Hang in there mate, he can recover from this, my old Mum did.
    Positive thoughts mate.

• 10 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:11 AM

Whoops, continued. Then you might have a point. But he’s never been, doesn’t buy club merchandise, yet feels he has the right call me part of the problem because I continue to buy my ST and always will. He has no right to talk to loyal fans with such disdain. It’s his crackpot agenda to get Ashley out, not mine. If i gave up my ST, what exactly is he giving up? Zilch. Zero. Nothing. He continually tries to pick rows with me over it, so i’m telling it how it is. If you have a ST and choose to boycott, then no problem at all. Your money,
    your call. But when yiu don’t, how dare you tell me to give up mine when I’ve been going for decades – late 60’s, early 70’s. F#ck his agenda, it’s not mine, so why should I back it? Because he says so? I have no argument with anybody on here, except him and his arrogant belief I should follow him like he’s the pied piper. You, are a fan. You’ve done the tough bits probably but illness prevents you carrying on. I respect that, why would i not? He’s done nothing. Zero towards supporting our club. He doesn’t get to tell me jack shit how to support my team, i do it the same way I always have ‘ by turning up. With a crushed verterbrae and fractured spine, I can no longer do away games; it’s just too much. Standing for 90 minutes with those injuries, plus no kneecaps is just impossible, but i go to every home game still, even though i’m now reduced to a wheelchair. So, you tell me, in all seriousness, does he have any right to diss decades of loyal support when he hasn’t been once? Should i give up my ST when i have no desire to, just because he says i’m part of the problem? Sorry mate, but he’s a nobody imo and he can shove his agenda where the sun doesn’t shine. It’s my money and i’ll buy a ST regardless of what ANYBODY says, let alone a gobshyte from ibiza. I wish to f#ck this argument would go away, because I’m sick of it. He can go f#ck his plastic support and I’ll carry on struggling to games. If people don’t like that, ask me if i give a toss? I will never respond to him, or hisclike on this blog again, because anybody who backs him can also go f#ck themselves. Loyal until death and so so very proud of it. I don’t do as i’m told, i do as i please. End of.

• 11 Our Toon // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:16 AM

Welsh geordie

You might be asleep now but if you do read this and need advice or just a chat let me know buddy, more than happy to make the time for you. It’s a long hard battle and I hope your dad makes a full recovery!! I can give you some pointers from experiencing this through my mum. She beat cancer 3 times and now she’s trying to beat it for the 4th time!! Remain positive mate!!

Hopefully both your teams give you something to smile about tomorrow.

• 12 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:32 AM

Jimmy, the football is improving all the time and consequently results will follow. When was the last time we ran the mackems ragged on their own turf, until the red card of course 😉 The 4-1 win probavly. A long time ago. The players are playing for Macca and it shows. You can’t inherit the worst squad in the league and turn it round with just four new players, it will take time and i thought everybody knew that? I’m not saying it won’t be hard, because we were seriously bad the last few seasons, but I genuinely trust in Macca to do it. He asked for three windows, so why suddenly is everyone expecting miracles in three months? My honest and heartfelt opinion is we will not be relegated by quite a distance. I1 know i’m an optimist, but that’s just how i am. We’ll slowly improve until january, then buy a few more quality players and not look back. By the third window, we’ll have a team to challenge. Strange how everyone talks about opinions, yet apparently I’m the only one not allowed one because i believe we can stay up comfortably. If my trust is misfounded, no doubt i’ll get pelters left right and centre, but i’ll take it without bleating. I just believe we’ll do it. My honest opinion based on the huge improvements i’ve witnessed with my own eyes. Right or wrong, time will tell. Let’s wait and see eh? 🙂

• 13 Munster Mag // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:57 AM

Bobby go to sleep you big geordie bollocks 🙂 . I respect your feelings re old times, small crowds, rough places. Believe me, we have been in the same away pubs and on the same terraces. The millwalls port vales bristol rovers and southends. And the atmosphere at blackburn rovers! I supported nufc as a child in ireland when to do so was oddball territory,believe me. So i have fought the fight of the underdog too. I have always recognised something in geordies that was hugely honourable. Lets hope for a win v stoke. We need it and so does smc

• 14 Munster Mag // Oct 31, 2015 at 2:05 AM

Welsie my wife has breast cancer but may have a better prognosis than your dad. Keep him up for the fight with regular talks and trust in the medics. Get smart on foods that will help his body fight back. a proper welshman knows that limerick people and welsh people love our rugby. We have a bond. Llanelli and munster both beat the all blacks! Keep your spirit up and your dad’s too. Cymru am bith!

• 15 jimmysmith // Oct 31, 2015 at 2:08 AM

Bobby, I think we’ve had good seasons so far from only Perez and Widjnaldum and perhaps Mitrovic when he’s played and also Mbemba, though he’s been no better than Colo. The others have been various degrees of patchy or pretty run of the mill. We have enough quality to stay up certainly, but not enough to guarantee it, so we are precariously placed yet again, and unnecessarily so, and that’s the frustrating thing. But yeah, time may prove your optimism to be well founded. I’m sure we all recognise that it’s on the cards.

• 16 willowdalerez // Oct 31, 2015 at 5:21 AM

Welsh, I feel deeply for you and your family. From personal experience the best medicine is to spend any time you can with your dad and do your best to keep his spirits up. When my dad was first diagnosed with an aggressive form of prostate cancer he was given months to live. With 3 difficult rounds of chemo he put it into remission 3 times (each time for at least 2 good years) before it finally metastasized and he passed away at 73 last year. During those additional years he saw 3 of his 4 grandchildren born and got to spend significant time with 2 of them that they will never forget. My wife and I also coaxed him and my mom to join us for a getaway to an all-inclusive in Mexico that was some of the best fun we ever had together as adults. My only point is you must continue to see the man not the cancer and cherish the time you have with him because that is what counts. Do that and it will be as good for you as him and you’ll have no regrets no matter the outcome. My best wishes.

• 17 willowdalerez // Oct 31, 2015 at 5:40 AM

Think Macca has the team playing well. My prediction as to points over the last 4 prem games was only foiled by the awful red on Colo last week (though tbh he should never have made that challenge and gave away a penalty for sure). Macca has shown he can organize the team but has 2 problems the injury one you can’t really lay on him but the 3 reds are at his feet. The lads aren’t playing all fired up they are making rash challenges and Tiote is next up for a red unless Mitro loses his cool again and beats him to it. Macca needs to show the man mgmt I thought he’d have not just the ability to get the lads to play a decent style that suits their strengths. Finally he has demonstrated that he has no effective style if Mitro is out for any reason so we had better bring in a striker in the Jan Window and keep Toney from going out on loan until that is tied up. Guess we’ll find out tomorrow if Macca can keep my confidence (am predicting a 2 nil win for us Mitro and Gini to score) but will be at my wits end if we drop another winnable game that we need to put away. Still, looking at our play have to think we’ll win unless we pick up another red. HWTL!!!

• 18 Toon-Prodigy // Oct 31, 2015 at 5:57 AM

Im calling bollox on it all, I wish I shared the same insight as Bobby but I don’t. Until we are safe and start genuinely winning football games with good football and moving up the league all this optimism and blind faith of how well we have played (in spells), is exactly that, bollox to me. 50 mil has been added to the squad, quality has been added, there has been some good spells and terrible ones also. I don’t think im seeing better football, just more quality in the side at present. Wijnaldum and Mitrovic has shone on occasions as has Thauvin in the cup game, Mbemba has been ok. Like Jimmy says though the rest has been pretty bog standard this season apart from Sissoko’s and Perez’s spells.

Im hoping we are up in mid-table by the end of January but it’s looking like a long shot right now going off our first 10 games and the time it may take for everyone to gel.

Sorry boys. Results may well come but they certaintly havn’t yet and I fail to see how you can dissect anything good about it with 1 win in 10 on the board. I’d rather look ugly and win than pretty in only spells and lose.

In my opinion, until we actually start doing well and showing consistency over time and actually winning games then it means fcuk all to me personally. The table dosn’t tell lies, we have been no where near good enough. A massive part of that is down to the board though and im more than willing to wait until January for the next bunch of incomings before I judge McClaren. Every manager before him wasn’t backed and hung out to dry, it’s no surprise to me with quality added we look a different team but the results don’t lie.

Time for bed, that’s my shift over.

Have a pleasant day lads, nee fighting haha.

• 19 Blofal // Oct 31, 2015 at 6:31 AM

I know I’ll get lampooned for suggesting this… but considering our lack of midfield cover I’d drop Perez back to the midfield. He is a tenacious tackler and provides lots of drive going forward. I’d play De Jong up front with Mitrovic as that is De Jong’s natural position. He can interchange throughout the game with Perez and cause them problems much like Gini and Sissoko do. Keep Anita on the bench for when Tiote gets tired or gets a yellow card.

• 20 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:01 AM

If this is where we have come to then quite frankly I hope we’ll get manager in soon who can see the value Anita brings to the table (as opposed to Tiote and Colback)

…and maybe even will give some game time to Siem.

We have a manager who is trying to find a winning formula he can stick to…a bit like we had with Pardew and he doesn’t see to know how yo address a game for the full 90 mins.

Yesterday it was suddenly about height on here…you hear alot of strange comments I gotta give you that. I accept we are all different and definitely see football quite differently.

• 21 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:02 AM

*see = seem

• 22 bladeuser // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:06 AM

BOBBYBEE
    U r part of the problem staying I will never give up my ST so no matter what happens u will hand over hundreds to watch dross and players showing no loyalty and picking it vast sums of money knowing there are people like u who will always subsidise there lavish lifestyles well more fool u maybe a willo autograph would persuade u to buy 10 years of league cup tickets in advance
    ASH OUT
    SMAC OUT
    COLO OUT

• 23 Slank // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:11 AM

Blofal

I agree that Perez is a tenacious tackler and provides lots of drive going forward but he can only do this when he has two midfield behind him.

I think its 100% certain that Anita will play due to the absence of Colback. He will partner Tiote who I imagine is getting a lot of grieve from McClaren about discipline on the field of play. Unfortunately I think Tiote’s reputation proceeds him in the eyes of the referees who should take a more objective approach.

A radical switch would be for Mbemba to play in midfield as he has close ball control skills. He has the pace and power to dominate that area. Colo would move across and Dummitt play alongside him with Haidara as left back. I doubt it would happen though.

• 24 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:13 AM

We had one on here not so long ago who looked at it this way. With so many people potentially giving up their ST he would wait and then upgrade to a better seat…

…it’s all about supporting the team and definitely nothing to do with one’s own interests!

• 25 lochinvar // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:17 AM

If Tiote is given the same leniency by the ref as Klattermule last week he’ll be Man of the Match

• 26 lochinvar // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:20 AM

See Villa will pay whatever they have to to get Remi Garde and his back room staff to try to save them – hope not, at the moment we need them in freefall

• 27 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:22 AM

Both Tiote and Colback Are the kinds of players you have think twice about using..

…they are what you call a walking liability.

Non of them offers much defensively and not much either going forward. It’s a bit the same with Anita, he’s just the better footballer.

Our way of playing sadly doesn’t reflect that (but then again we are bottom of the league for a reason)

• 28 sparky55 // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:25 AM

I’m shakin’ me heed in bewilderment here…read this quote from SM slowly lads

“He (TIOTE) got 45 minutes against Norwich – which he needed – and I thought he was excellent and I didn’t want to take him off.”

Does this mean if we want to play a game and attack and score we can’t have these two on the pitch at the same time???

Shame that really…it’s all we’ve fcuking got left!

How about dropping one of them and putting Sissoko in there ( the same position he occupied for 4 years in toulouse before he came to newcastle and P45 stuck him out on the wing!) and putting SDJ or Thauvin or Aaron’s in the team.

and anyway…I know it’s boring but with Colo in the team we have to score 3 to win so he’s gonna have to start taking risks so if he thinks we can’t score with Anita and Tiote on the pitch then there’s no point starting with them…but I bet he will which would in turn mean he’s picking a team of containment…which of course is not the right thing to do.

we’re going round in circles here because although we’re playing prettier football we’ve already forgotten how to grind out ugly wins like we did with P45.

I don’t want the cockney pr!ck back at any costs but he knew how to win ugly whereas we’re not winning pretty or ugly which is a big worry.

• 29 Ron Knee // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:27 AM

Morning jesper
    Some Sturm und Drang on the blog yesterday!
    Do you have a prediction for today?

• 30 Ron Knee // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:34 AM

sparky
    Certainly agree that Percy delivered some ugly football! I think the most precious commodity he had was luck. Not sure that this is the case with McClaren.

• 31 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:34 AM

Ron…it was a hoot and half last night mate 😉

It will probably come down whether we are showing up for two halfs today or only one. My concern is how McClaren deals with changes…sometimes something happens you have to deal with…

…sometimes even the opposing manager dares to make some change ad well (I know dare he 😉 )

It’s a win or loose I think. A draw is not in our game these days. I won’t make a prediction before I see the team sheet.

What about you mate?

• 32 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:36 AM

Ron…feel free to fill in the missing words yourself 😀 lol

• 33 Munster Mag // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:37 AM

Sparky pardew knew how to lose aswell! Lets hope we is a fret today 🙂

• 34 sparky55 // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:38 AM

Ron Knee

But our esteemed big fat bloater owner said we’d be making our own luck from now on!

or maybe our season starts tomorrow!!!! 🙂

• 35 sparky55 // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:39 AM

hopefully more of a fret than Palace were to Man city on wednesday! 🙂

• 36 Ron Knee // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:40 AM

jesper
    I’m very bad at predictions! To use the old cliché: ‘if we take our chances we should win.’ It’s definitely time we made ourselves some luck.

• 37 hibbitt // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:45 AM

6 point 10 games says it all…..yes some of the games have been better to watch but we are not winning some fool said on here yesterday were to to good to go down…..we all know that’s not true

• 38 Essex Geordie // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:06 AM

Maybe the surprise will be Collo as defensive midfielder and lacelles in defence. At least that will get our main weakness out of the back four. HWTL

• 39 Davidnufc1966 // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:05 AM

What a load of shit you are all talking they are just not good enough to many froners not enough local lads sack the lot and start again bring back gazza ‘ peter shera Keegan lads who new the consequence of loading not just jumping in to the flash cars and pissng of home to London probably don’t pay them if they don’t win and see how keen they are to just turn up and collect there wadges cos that’s all they are doing now

previous post: McClaren Wants To Start A New Tradition With Newcastle Fans