McClaren – This Player Has Been Great For Us

One of the players that really impress us towards the last end of lays season was Vurnon Anita and he played really well in that last game – the 2-0 win against West Ham – even though late in the second half his breakaway with a three on one situation was messed up when he delivered the ball too late to Papiss Cisse and the chance was missed and even Mike Ashley held his head in his hands.

But then the great Jonas Gutierrez scored after 85 minutes and we were safe in the Premier league.

And Cheick picked up yellow cards after 5 minutes and 14 minutes respectively in those games, and if he picks up a yellow card tomorrow – who will replace him if McClaren thinks he needs to be replaced in case he picks up a second yellow card?

Having both Cheick Tiote and Vurnon Anita in form against Stoke City tomorrow will go a long way to ensuring we get our second league win of the season.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Stoke?

View Results
Loading ... Loading ...

• Tsunki

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:20 PM

Ashley Out! Of course…

• Jib

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:25 PM

Looking at NUFCtv you get the impression that Tioté has been welcomed back into the squad fold.
    I am a lot more sanguine about Cheick operating under the aegis of this coaching set up than the former lot.
    If he has been returned to his former awesome presence it can only be good for the team.
    He and Vurnon could be a really good combination .

• Tsunki

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:28 PM

Checks got a lot of winding the clock back to do. He was an unfinished work under Pardew, he’ll have to go some to improve and get himself back to where he started.

• Jib

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:29 PM

Chun Ki @1

You add so much to the blog.

Do you have more chins than the Shanghai telephone directory ?

• GeordieTwo

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:34 PM

Anita is too small for the Prem. Nothing can change that. We have even more defensive problems now with Colback and Krul out. Not sure about Tiote. He gets far too many cards, that’s obvious. How good he can be at this point remains an open question.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:35 PM

When was the last time we were out of the bottom 5? It must be November or early December of last year. So poor for so long. Well done Ashley.

• Tsunki

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:37 PM

it’s “More Chins than a Chinese phone book” if you’re not going to ruin the jokes’ pace and rhythm jeff you obliterating tool. And btw it’s precisely the irk you suffer that spurs me to repeat that post. Get comfy.

Btw it’s not ” Chunky” in that way, junior 😉

• Tsunki

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:39 PM

G2 not sure about that. I think there may be a tactical wedge if we could employ a few oompa-loompas . Being orange would be a bonus, very distracting. At present we only have Colback and he’s out injured.

• Tsunki

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:41 PM

We’ve been out of the bottom five and nobody told me? Oh wait – was that when we were in the top of that Championship thing?

• Jib

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:41 PM

Geordie 2

A quiz for you

Guess what all these players have in common:-

Silva , Mata , Messi , Xavi , Anita

Hint

Number of inches (vertically)

Got to love Canadian soccer knowledge

• Jib

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:42 PM

Oh
    G2
    You could add Pedro Beardsley to that list.

• GeordieTwo

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:43 PM

So you’re comparing Anita to Messi, Silva, Xavi etc. now Jeff? Hilarious. You are a tremendous judge of talent. Well done. NUFC should sign you up to help Graham Carr straight away. 😆

• cyprus

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:50 PM

So, fresh off the oven:

Curbishley: 1-1(he gets our results usually)
    Murphy D: 2-0 (thanks for the vote)

Of course they have Chelsea winning against the draw specialist. I see another draw there.

• Jib

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:51 PM

GeordieTwo // Oct 30, 2015 at 4:34 PM
    Anita is too small for the Prem. Nothing can change that.

That’s what you said honeypie

It’s there for all to read.

No amount of wriggling can change that .

• GeordieTwo

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:57 PM

Easy with the honeypie Jib. You’re a strange one. Several on here have said that Anita is too lightweight for the Prem. He would be better off going back to the Netherlands as with Luuk de Jong, who was another lightweight. Why don’t you run off and play now?

• Charlietoon

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:58 PM

GeordieTwo you just got owned.

• Jib

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:58 PM

Sorry

I forgot to add Harrumph at the end

😎

• Tsunki

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:58 PM

I don’t think being diminutive helps when you’re played in essentially a DM position. Not a noted leaper is our Little Vern.

• Charlietoon

Oct 30, 2015 at 4:59 PM

Although I do like the way ‘small’ became ‘talent’ and then turned into ‘lightweight’ as you attempted recovery.

• Munster Mag

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:03 PM

Is it just me or did Anita look bigger v Sunderland …..bulked up? Am more worried about Tiote than him but think we will win 2-1 tomorrow or draw 2-2. A draw or loss will start to make SMC’s position not too tenable. I know he wants to be here for the long run but we need points soon. I do agree with him though – if we get the process right, the positive outcomes should happen. How was that for corporate speak ? 🙂

• GeordieTwo

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:06 PM

I got owned by those comments Charlie? Hahahahaha! Sure, Anita is in the same league as Messi as far as talent is concerned. Or Xavi, or Pedro. Yes that’s why he plays for us instead of Real Madrid I’m sure.

• Jib

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:08 PM

Charlietoon

Keeping the Canadian theme going here

G2 was a bit like an ice skater doing a double salchow – he wobbled – recovered – big sigh of relief – then BANG on his ass .

You’d better go and change your wet pants G2.

Ha ha ha

• GeordieTwo

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:09 PM

Anita makes some decent passes going forward but he’s not exactly a destroyer defensively. I would move him on along with many others. But we’ve been so successful under Ashley why would we do that? He clearly knows what he’s doing along with Jib of course. 😆

• GeordieTwo

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:12 PM

Why don’t you give us your starting 11 against Stoke Jib? Of course that monstrous talent Anita will be in the centre of everything, but I’d love to see your incredible insight at work showing us the whole setup. Just step aside McLaren, Jib is going to save us.

• Bobbybee

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:14 PM

Tsunki. Let me explain a few things. I have no row with anybody else on this blog. Nobody. My problem is with somebody who says I ‘m not a proper fan because i continue to buy my ST. I, and those like me, are apparently everything that is wrong with Newcastle. This comes from a no mark who has never even seen SJP. let alone go to a game. What I’m about to say should not be interpreted – as it has by those with an agenda – that I am a better fan than anybody else. I’m not and don’t pretend to be. I’m simply a loyal fan of decades. I have been in SJP with less than 8k others. In fact, in one game, possibly Oldham in the mickey mouse cup, less than 7k. I’ve been to some shocking grounds – Wrexham, Shrewsbury, Hereford etc when we were actually genuinely shyte. Done the rat run at Boro, Millwall, Cardiff. Swansea, Chelsea etc when they were dangerous days. When I lived away, I ‘ve never missed a game despite having to travel from Aldershot (army days), Nottingham, Chesterfield, Keighley. This isn’t me bragging, I ‘m stating facts. I am, in other words, a diehard Newcastle fan, long before the term Toon Army was ever uttered. According to Ibiza, I ‘m ecerything that’s wrong with Newcastle because I still buy a ST. I am totally committed to Newcastle United and have proven that by my actions. I have no beef with overseas fans, as I have previously expressed. I find it incredibly offensive that my committment over the years is just brushed aside as nothing of any importance, by some no mark who never has been to a game. He says I should boycott, because he has an agenda against Ashley. The fact that I won’t, makes me a shyte fan. Can you see why that infuriates me? I’m no better a fan than so many around me, but i sure am a better fan than he is. End of. He doesn’t go to games. He won’t buy merchandise because, not knowing how the club is run, he claims it goes into Ashley’s pocket. It doesn’t. Sky money does, but he still watches on some channel that filters into Ashley’s pocket. That is my row with ONE person, about how he has no right to tell me how I spend my money. As long as my health holds, my ST will be bought even if we end up in division two. And that’s it. I won’t be called the problem by a plastic fan – and he is the epitome of a plastic fan. Be sure that I am not calling ANYBODY else a plastic fan, just the one who insults me for my total committment to my club. You ain’t daft, you can see why it insults me beyond frustration. He’s like a scab, screaming on the picket line, but sneaking in the back door to work against the strike. That’s it. Nothing more. Put yourself in my place and imagine how you’d feel.

• Jib

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:14 PM

• GeordieTwo

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:15 PM

Off to do some work now. Why don’t you try it some time Jib/Jeff/Jane? Possibly figure skating is your thing? Very dainty.

• Jib

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Bye bye Canuck
    Don’t slam the door on your way out.

• Jib

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:17 PM

Harrumph

Ha ha ha ha ha

• croftus5678

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:18 PM

no room in a starting 11 for a link man that is anita imo.

and i’m very gratefull for guti as he contributed to us staying up but sheesh we was screaming for us to get rid of him for seasons and only when he fell ill did he become somewhat of a fan fave again and lets face it he wouldnt get near the first team this season or shouldnt do anyways.

and tiote is another weak link imo i’d rather play bigi who offers a calmer head and more going forward.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:21 PM

G2 – please don’t put any work onto Jibs’ shoulders – he’ll be too busy preparing lectures for his students – did you forget he’s a lecturer in Modern European History.

You cannot make this stuff up – comedy gold.

• Toon-Prodigy

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:22 PM

Is De Jong getting on the bench at the min, what can he handle? I want to see him start along side Tiote not Anita. Bring Anita on after 70 mins or so if De Jong is tired.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Bobby…No wonder we’re where we are. That is not what I’ve said to you.

If, and this really is up to you, you would like to clarify the points I am more than happy to do so.

However, if you want to continue on this misguided path you’re on, then I respect your right to do so and wish you well with your health issues. I would ask though, if you’re not going to re-open this discussion with me, that you stop mentioning me, what it is I think or what it is you think I’ve said as you’ve got it wrong.

• Charlie in the Gallowgate

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:24 PM

Gan on Bobbybee
    This blog needs all contributions from whatever the side they are on as the debate does not become a debate but a one-sided slag-off.

Still got my season ticket still go Ashley or no Ashley and will still get my season ticket and go even if they get relegated.

Any-way on Anita being to small ain’t matter what size you are for the premiership it’s all about your ability, and confidence and at the minute Anita has been one of our best players this season

keeps it simply – very rarely his passes go astray – does not hide and is always available for a pass

As for the

• hibbitt

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:29 PM

tp ..at the moment not sure de jong would last 70mins think the best way is give him till january with this extra training which hopefully will bring him back to peak fitness and we could start to see the best of him

• Jib

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:30 PM

I think The Guardian has it spot on this week.
    I like it when a side virtually picks itself

• dok - the horrid colonial

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:31 PM

looks like jib/jeff/jane is on the sauce again… I thought he/she/it would have learned by now that alcohol doesn’t help at all….

this place is an insane asylum today, and jib/jeff/jane is trying to be the ringmaster..

• Ibizatoon

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Dok, Tuff & G2…Have to say, on this occasion, I think Jib has it right.

Not that G2 is the first person to say Anita is too small for the league. It’s a commonly held opinion. Not one I agree with, either simply based on size, or Anitas ability.

• hibbitt

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:36 PM

doc………..the sale of white lightning will be up in pennywell pissed again then the verbal diarrhoea will start

• Bobbybee

Oct 30, 2015 at 5:39 PM

These are all reasons to give Macca time to get it right. He inherited the worst squad in the league and miracles just don’t happen. He has to lose the deadwood and replace it with players like Wijnaldum, Mitrovic and Mbemba – still not sure about Thauvin’s committment. This will take time and he’s asked for three windows to sort it out. Sounds reasonable to me. If the money quoted is correct, that’s an average of over £15m per position and sounds promising to me. We can’t buy until we sell, simply because of squad numbers, but we’re slowly looking to thin our squad to make place for better players he had nothing to do with buying. Surely the football, if not the results, have improved massively? The results will, imo follow. Change takes time and I know we’ve waited long enough, but the outward signs are all good. I can’t see us going down once the results pick up and I’ll stand by that come seasons end. I predict a win tomorrow, possibly 3-1. I most certainly don’t see us losing. HTL! ! !