The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren Wants To Start A New Tradition With Newcastle Fans

11:11 pm, Friday, October 30th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 7 Comments

Steve McClaren has again mentioned the Newcastle fans are very important to Newcastle and the team – and the head coach is clear that he wants the fans thanked after every game whether we win, lose or draw.

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren we need to acknowledge fans

Steve had his press conference this afternoon and also carried out some interviews with the local press.

This is what he said about the Newcastle fans:

“The fans are important. It is something which when I was in Holland was kind of a ritual.”

“What our president would say – and he used to insist on it – was: Okay, it might have been good, bad or indifferent but there were always some fans who went to the game who appreciated the effort put in and they would probably stay behind and we had to applaud them.”

“It was a tradition in Holland and in Germany and I thought it was a good one.” “Will it take off here? I don’t think so but we are just trying to reconnect and get closer to the fans.”

“I’d like to. I once stormed off in Holland with the centre-forward and the president kicked me back out – so that taught me a lesson in that.”

“It was difficult but I said to the players that is our audience.” “I know it is not the theater when everyone stands up and gets a round of applause. Of course, it is different.”

“But you have got to have that toughness to stay there and not to skulk off. We will keep trying to do it.”

The other way of saying what Steve is talking about it that at the end of every game you will have to go and acknowledge the fans – whether it´s home game or an away game.

So players had far better give everything they have in the game – otherwise you may be booed.

And if you hadn´t given 100% you would deserve the boos.

Tags: Fans · Match Preview · Newcastle Fans · Newcastle News · Premier League

7 responses so far ↓

• 1 jane // Oct 30, 2015 at 11:26 PM

well said Bobby.

• 2 Bobbybee // Oct 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM

As long as the players have given 100%, there’s no reason they should be booed. As the Arsenal defeat showed, we clapped them off the pitch just for pure effort and intent. You show your support whichever way you choose, but I can’t say I’ve ever booed my team because I’ve always believed they’ve tried their best – even when their best has been shyte. No player tries to lose after all. If i thought they’d lost on purpose i wouldn’t boo them, i’d flaming shoot them! If they’ve given 100% and still lost, booing would be detrimental to their mental health, and that’s a huge part of a footballers makeup. Anyway, lets hope tomorrow we’re cheering them off after a well earned victory.

• 3 jane // Oct 30, 2015 at 11:29 PM

we want success not failure.

• 4 toonking // Oct 30, 2015 at 11:34 PM

Ealier this month a friend of mine had just died of cancer.

I wish your dad the very best of luck and hope the same doesn’t happen to him

• 5 welshgeordie9 // Oct 30, 2015 at 11:38 PM

Cheers mate, it’s bloody hard putting a brave face on in front of him.

• 6 firebug666 // Oct 30, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Firstly I am not an Ashley out clown, Yes I would like to see the back of the greedy git, but unless we have a buyer that isn’t going to happen.

Secondly, I choose to debate rather than fling insults about, and only resort to the latter in defence.

Third, for your information I have supported Newcastle for over 50 years, I do not get to the matches anymore because of disability and distance combined, Does this make me a lesser fan in your opinion.

And finally, Even if we were to win a cup, or a champions league place Ashley will not sell, he gets too much out of the club for that.

As for the rest of you post, If you engaged your brain before typing into your computer you may learn a little more about the people you choose to abuse.

Sensible debate will get you a lot further with people rather than your mindless and ill thought out ranting.

Things have changed at the club, the team is starting to gel and fans are changing their opinion, and this is the time you choose to go back to the end of last season to regurgitate an old post and abuse as many people over it as you can.

One has to wonder who is wearing the big shoes and bright red nose.

• 7 lochinvar // Oct 31, 2015 at 7:12 AM

Thanks every game ?
    No thanks.
    It’s just all getting too patronising and sanitising match day.
    It all smacks of following some new guru style rule book on ” how to win fans and keep them happy”
    What next – after match surveys – “how was it for you ? “