The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Have Huge Opportunity Against Stoke

1:17 pm, Friday, October 30th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 12 Comments

Newcastle were very unlucky at Sunderland last Sunday because of the Coloccini affair, but we still managed to lose the game and concede another three goals – but that’s behind us now thank goodness – it’s water under the Tyne Bridge.

We have a big opportunity tomorrow against Stoke because they had a gruelling League Cup game against Chelsea on Wednesday night which they won 5-4 on penalties after Loic Remy equalised in stoppage time for the London side.

mark lawrenson

Mark Lawrenson – takes Newcastle to win

So this has to be a big opportunity for Newcastle tomorrow – and we should take it – but we have a bad habit of not taking our chances this season, which is only one reason why we are struggling in second bottom place in the league table.

BBC pundit and former Newcastle defensive coach Mark Lawrenson feels the game on Wednesday night will tip the game towards Newcastle:

“While Newcastle had the week off, Stoke boss Mark Hughes picked a strong team on Tuesday for his side’s Capital One Cup tie with Chelsea – which they won on penalties – and having to play extra-time will not have helped the Potters.”

“Stoke’s home defeat by Watford last weekend was a strange slip-up and I don’t think they will be as bad as that again, but I am still backing Newcastle.”

Since we have only one win in our last 21 league games and only four wins in the last 29 league games a win these days is a big thing at Newcastle – and difficult for this Newcastle side.

That’s simply because we are not used to winning – rather we are used to losing – and we have lost 18 of our league games this year.

But a win will likely take us out of the relegation zone – and that would be great.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Stoke?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Match Preview · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Pundit

12 responses so far ↓

• 1 Jib // Oct 30, 2015 at 1:23 PM

Some folks are overly easy to offend because they want to be offended, they need to feel aggrieved.

I don’t know, maybe it is justification to them for some feelings they may have, feelings that they are uncomfortable with,feelings of the type they accuse others of harbouring while maintaining that they could never be possessed of such ill will.

Welcome to blogland.

• 2 Bobbybee // Oct 30, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Ibiza, you have whatever opinions you want pal, but telling loyal fans of decades how to support their club – you should boycott – is just insulting beyond words. You might have followed the club for as many years as you dream up, but you are not a supporter. Supporters contribute to their club, by buying merchandise or getting to games whenever possible – hence the name, supporter. Those who support. You contribute naff all to Newcastle United except bile. We can live without that thanks. And before anybody comes up with political correct bollox that all fans are equal, go and ask Macca, or the players which fans are more important. Those who go, or those who sit on their arse moaning. You know the answer before it’s even asked. You show no commitment to Newcastle United at all. And like it or not, that makes you a plastic fan. Get over yourself.

• 3 sing in the corner // Oct 30, 2015 at 1:39 PM

From the outside looking in your earlier out of the blue comment to Bobby and the ‘disrespectful, no?’ bit seemed to be like you had been waiting for him to say something you could pounce on, on the topic you two have argued about in the past – opinions. Then to make allowances for him being in pain seemed, in my opinion I hasten to add, a bit patronising. I am aware, though, how sometimes things can come across in type, so er, I’ll make allowances.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Oct 30, 2015 at 1:43 PM

Okay Bobby, seeing as this blog is hosted by someone based in the States and a lot of the bloggers on here aren’t local, nor do they attend games, can you set out what us plastics are allowed to comment on about this club we follow, but don’t support?

We could save ourselves a lot of problems.

• 5 Ibizatoon // Oct 30, 2015 at 1:44 PM

Ibizatoon // Oct 30, 2015 at 1:39 PM

sing…I saw the comment and it jumped out at me. Along with Catchys and Jibs. I haven’t been waiting for it, but do have a memory.

The latter part wasn’t meant to be patronising, I was trying to offer an out.

I do think it’s a big blog issue at the moment, possibly from both sides, hypocricy. Bobby whole heartedly believes he has been respectful, as he has said he is only stating his opinion. I think it’s reasonable to request why then that my posts, stating my opinion, aren’t also.

Thanks for the allowances. I’ll try not to take the piss.

• 6 defenders needed // Oct 30, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Repost Previous Thread – Well I said it last week now I’ll say it again this week. I believe due to our shaky defence we need to adapt to a Brendan Rodgers stile play until we hopefully purchase a big CB who is either proven in the premier league or the bundesleague. The only difference to the team I said last week I would change colo the clown for lascellas. Playing this style alows your fb to still push forward but your always guarenteed 3 at the back. My team would be;

————Mbemba –lascellas– Dummit—————

• 7 Bobbybee // Oct 30, 2015 at 1:47 PM

Jib, I ‘m still waiting to hear who I’ve upset personally. Does that mean that ANYBODY who passes an opinion is therefore insulting everyone who doesn’t agree with it? Poor gentle folk. I think you’re right, they’re just looking for offence for whatever reason turns them on. Is anybody actually saying that the football under Macca isn’t better than under Carver and Pardew? If so, please speak up, don’t cry about it. Tell us how it’s worse, I’m all ears. Granted, results haven’t come yet, but the football is loads better and results will follow. I haven’t insulted anybody by saying the football is better and if you can’t see it, you ain’t watching. Unless anybody can show me I’m wrong? Just remind me the last time we played the mackems off the park until the sending off? Under pardew? Under Carver? Hilarious.

• 8 Ibizatoon // Oct 30, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Bobby…I think you might need to have a quick chill out. I’m concerned your not reading our exchanges correctly.

I’ve already told you that you haven’t upset anyone personally.

No one has taken offence. You appear to have taken offence to me pointing out that you weren’t being respectful.

Anyway, good news for you. I’m off. Enjoy the banter of real fans.

• 9 Bobbybee // Oct 30, 2015 at 1:57 PM

SITC, i couldn’t put it better myself. I ‘m pleased others have noticed that he deliberately looks to argue with me, because it’s gone on for months now. Yes, I am in incredible pain. I’ve got a crushed verterbrae and a fractured spine and apparantly been walking on it on crutches for four years! No wonder it hurts lol. That said, I’ll be there on Saturday, albeit in a wheelchair, and suffer for it for the rest of the week – as i have for years. I’m not claiming that makes me a better fan than anybody else there, but it shows my total committment. So to be told I’m the problem by some no mark who’s never been inside SJP, tends to get my goat a bit. I’m sure as a loyal fan yourself, you’ll understand completely. Cheers.

• 10 Ibizatoon // Oct 30, 2015 at 2:02 PM

Bobby…I am going, but before I do.

I don’t look to argue with you. I look to debate with you. It is a blog and you and I have differing opinions. I would have thought that healthy for a debate.

I don’t think you want to debate anything. Just fill yourself with what a great fan you are. Which to be fair you are. Good on you. However….nah, I’m off. As you were, you proper fan you 🙂

• 11 Bobbybee // Oct 30, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Don’t worry ibiza, i’m reading your posts exactly as you mean them. I’m not stupid mate. If i haven-t insulted anybody – change in tack – then wtf are you still going on about it for? As Sing has already sussed you out, you deliberately try to find a row with me then try to come across the hurt party. Won’t work matey, you’re exposed already. You don’t like me coz i tell it how it is mate. Boycott? Boycott what? The beach? Clown.

• 12 usmagpie // Oct 30, 2015 at 2:43 PM

The light at the end of the tunnel on this one is, we beat Stoke, Norwich have to play Man City at Man City and Bournemouth have to play Southampton at Southampton. Which could mean we can jump up three spot in the Prem and get out of the bottom three. Now if that not motivation for our players I don’t know what is. And if you add Sunderland at Everton then this could be a good weekend for the Toon. Lets hope we don’t have any players sent off this weekend.

previous post: Mark Hughes Gives His Opinion On Newcastle Team