The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Fans Less Confident Against Stoke Than Sunderland

8:11 am, Saturday, October 31st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 18 Comments

Our poll before each Newcastle game gives us a sense of the expectation level of a game and if there´s a high percentage of fans think we will win the game and we lose it – especially with a poor performance – we have an idea of what the reaction will be – not good.

Last Sunday against Sunderland about 70% of fans thought we would win the game which was high given we had lost the previous five games and hadn´t turned up to most of them.

coloccini red card sunderland

This decision gave the game to Sunderland last Sunday
Overturned by the FA last week but the damage was already done

But last week´s 3-0 defeat was different in that the team did show up for the game and completely dominated ion the first half but then luck turned against us and Colo was adjudged to have fouled Fletcher  and the referee gave a penalty and sent Coloccini off.

Steven Fletcher is that big lad up front for the Black Cats who allowed a little nudge from Coloccini to send him flying.

In short the referee´s actions gave the game to Sunderland and another unusual aspect of the game was that not one player on the home side was booked.

The reaction after the game was a little muted – not in the pain of the defeat or the referee´s poor decisions – but we knew our lads gave it all they had last Sunday.

Today there are 60% think we can win against Stoke at home and with Stoke having had to play extra time last Tuesday night in their League Cup win at home to Chelsea – maybe the players will be a little tired – maybe?

That´s something that Steve McClaren yesterday in his news conference didn´t think would be a factor in the game.

The question is whether Newcastle can put in another good performance like the first half last week – but do that over the full 90 minutes.

Three in five fans think we will win this game – and with only one win in the first 10 games – we really do need all 3 points.

If we don´t win today there will be disappointment – the level of that disappointment determined by how well we play and the circumstances of the game.

How Will Newcastle Fare Against Stoke?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

We need the win.

Tags: Coaching · Fabricio Coloccini · Poll · Premier League · Press Conference

18 responses so far ↓

• 1 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:16 AM

Do you kna your grounds from the air–can-you-identify-these-football-grounds-shot-from-above-144135684.html?soc_src=copy

Did alreet got 7 oot of 12

Yes we are more worried because Hughes has built a decent team at Stoke and they have the same type of players as the Mackems abrasive tough tackling and we seem to fold against aggressive teams.

Still hope we can get a result today!!!

• 2 Mag52 // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:24 AM

You make your own luck Sparky.
    Isn’t that what we are supposed to be doing ?

• 3 Jail for Ashley // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:28 AM

Good morning, we simply have to get a result today, if we don’t win this where are wins going to come from, not being dramatic but if we beat Stoke then we will struggle to get 30 points this season.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:30 AM

Morning blog,

Welsh…Just read about your Dad. Wishing him a speedy recovery. I’ve no doubt you’ll keep your head up. All the best.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:34 AM

*can’t beat Stoke

• 6 hibbitt // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:34 AM

welshgeordie…….. sad news about your dad be strong and you can help him beat it

• 7 sparky55 // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:35 AM

TOF from last thread re Perez

Just wanna see what SDJ can do linking midfield to attack

The slot I put SDJ in is an SDJ/ Perez slot…you can start either there and swap them around but SDJ looked so good when he first came I’m kinda hoping he can replicate that form. If it don’t work Perez is the easy fix unlike the conundrum we have with Colo

• 8 firebug666 // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:37 AM

This will be a tough game today, but we should get a result.

Might only be one goal in it, I think it will be that tight, our illustrious captain should put in a performance today, to show us fans at least why he should be kept in the team.

• 9 sparky55 // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:42 AM

MAG 52…absolutely…but we’re not having much luck at the minute are we so why not make some fundamental changes.

We have a very weak underbelly down the spine of our team…the exact opposite of what most good teams build on.

Colo has to go, Titoe has to go and Anita / Colback are just not good enough…so that means we’re always gonna leak goals unless Maclaren makes some big changes.

Swapping Colo for Dummet and Colback for Sissoko are easy fixes to an ongoing problem and will go a long way to fixing those fundamental problems

• 10 Ibizatoon // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:47 AM

Firebug…Not wanting to open things up, but I just wanted to say thanks for your input last night and apologies if you got dragged in.

Hopefully today is a better day.

A win is most welcome.

• 11 geordieviking // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:49 AM

The big C need not be the disaster many make it. I’ve had bladder cancer on and off for the last eight years, currently going through a 3 year course of Immunotherapy to hopefully kill it off for once and for all.
    2 years ago I was diagnosed with inoperable lung cancer. Fortunately my brilliant surgeon (M’s Beddow @ Harefield) didn’t agree. Today I’m completely free of lung cancer and despite losing part of my lung, plus the effects of emphysema, I still do 7 hrs a week at the gym and enjoy life immensely.

So trust the experts and never give up.

• 12 Jail for Ashley // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:51 AM

Nobody could find your statement that said ST holders were beneath contempt but Jib saw you write it so it must be true, might of been jeff though and I don’t think he’s as reliable as Jib. Why let the truth spoil a good fight.

• 13 Charlie in the Gallowgate // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Morning Jail
    Asahley IN !!!

As I said earlier this week perm anyone from six for relegation:
    and I think West Brom will be dragged into it.

A lot will depend on the run up to the transfer window if we are in and around the bottom six.

AND…. who we bring in – looks like we are preparing for a busy window – Willo sent on loan and Cabella looks like he will be gone.

• 14 geordieboy83 // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:55 AM

Top effort mate

• 15 geordieboy83 // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Regarding cb I like the look of dunk, being in Brighton get to see this lad regularly! A top top cb who if was in premiership we would wax lyrical about him. Plus matip on a free happy days

• 16 Ibizatoon // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:59 AM

Jail…Honestly, I don’t think the blog needs round two today, which is what will happen.

I’m not hiding from what I have said in the past. I don’t see the need to add made up stuff to the mix.

Hopefully the dust has settled and people can move on.

• 17 Jib // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Just seen last nights stuff.
    Bad news mate.
    You must stay strong , for him.

• 18 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Fail, you are to stupid to get hypocrisy, which was the point of the arabs stoning people. You all whine about wicked wonga, yet cried yourself to sleep when we missed out on the rich oil sheikh’s. Wonga charge extra for missing payments, whilst the rich sheikh’s chop your hand off for theft – which is what not paying wonga back is. These wonderful people you wanted to buy our club will stone women for adultery adter being forced into a marriage. Anyone with the slightest brains would get my point – which is why I need to explain it twice to you, you cretin.
    Bladeuser. Ooh, such a tough name I should be frightened to say this, but what I do with my money has f#ck all to do with you, you SMB. You never have a good word for Newcastle so your opinion is completely irrelevant. If people like me had quit the club when things were really bad, there wouldn’t be a Newcastle United today for anybody to support. Granted, it wouldn’t bother you, but it would bother many others. So, you agree all us ST holders are the problem too? What a first class nob, joining two other first class nobs. Fail and plastic ibiza, still whittering on. ‘Oh thank you for your support last night, grovel grovel.’ My point with you was proven when you said we were ‘part’ of the problem. End of. Never been to SJP but feels he has the right to dictate to those who do. Fail, you idiot, you did yourself proud last night with poor welshie, who you can’t resist having a dig at every time he comes on. Nice one, really classy. Typical though. Bladeuser – just a dick, period. Let me guess how many ganes you’ve been to as well. SJP, NONE. SOL, probably a good few. In fact, I ‘ve seen you there, disguised as one of those thousands of empty plastic seats. The three stooges together. Two blog bullies who cobtribute zero to the blog except Ashley out, blah blah blah and one little hitler who demands loyal fans give up ST’s. Don’t bother ever replying to me, as I don’t have interest in the diahoera you spew from your mouths. Can’t stay long, some of us have a game to go to. You going?

previous post: McClaren May Have Some Surprises In Store Against Stoke