McClaren – First Ten Games Have Been Like This

Steve McClaren was asked during his press conference yesterday for the game against Stoke – what the last 10 games have been like – and he said they had been a roller coaster.

But he also said that over those 10 games – which were up and down to say the least – he thought the coaching staff and the players handled the situation well.

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren at his press conference

This is some of what Steve said yesterday:

“It´s been a roller coaster 10 games in very aspect – in three of the games we played with 10 men for over 45 minutes – we been very up and down – very inconuisstenmt”

“In the last two games in terms of performance we have been kind of consistent and we need that going forward.”

“We have all got a responsibility to react well to games whether we win, lose or draw, and that’s something we have done well, I think, for 10 games.”

“The inconsistencies, the bad results, the bad performances, things that have happened, I think we have dealt with them very calmly, very well, and I credit the players with that also.

“Yes, that was very, very disappointing and it was interesting to see the players’ reaction and focus from Tuesday onwards.”

“This is a big game for us and once again we need the crowd behind us and they were fantastic last week even at the end when the players didn´t want to stay behind.”

“But they had to and give applause to the crowd for staying with them all the way through – following and supporting their team – we need that again on Saturday.”

Newcastle have 9 games before the end of the year and we must get some wins on the board so we can move up the league table.

Here´s the schedule of games through January 2nd next year.

October
Sat 31	15:00	H	Stoke City
November
Sat 07	12:45	A	Bournemouth
Sat 21	15:00	H	Leicester City
Sat 28	15:00	A	Crystal Palace
December
Sun 06	16:00	H	Liverpool
Sun 13	16:00	A	Tottenham
Sat 19	17:30	H	Aston Villa
Sat 26	17:30	H	Everton
Mon 28	15:00	A	WBA
January
Sat 02	15:00	A	Arsenal

How many points do you think we can get from the next 10 games?

• geordieviking

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Welshie,

Please check end of last thread.

(One of these days I’ll kill Ed for his rapid fire posts. 😉 )

• Obafan

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Is there a possibility to record the livestream cause I cannot watch the game.

Or is there a website to watch the complete game later.

• the broons

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:59 AM

Can I just encourage fans on here going to the game to indeed get behind the players. They deserve all the encouragement possible after our damned luck last week, if they see we are still behind them then it will drive them to the result today and hopefully kickstart our season in the long run.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Does McClaren still want to be judge after these 10-12 games or do we have to feel sorry for him now?

I’ll give him 14 games because if we are still in the bottom then that’s where we will end then it’s last chance to really do something about it.

People are defined by their actions not their lack thereof.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Jesper,
    I think he genuinely thought he’d be in mid table after ten games which is why he was brought in, top eight is the public target the reality is 17th to 10th.

• SUTTY1978

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:12 AM

“The inconsistencies, the bad results, the bad performances, things that have happened, I think we have dealt with them very calmly, very well,”

How have you dealt with them very well when they keep re-occurring??

• nut meg

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Obafan @2
    This site has a video archive where you can see either the highlights,sometimes the full game but not until the following day.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Jail…I think most of us do know that those targets are nothing but empty words…I am just not accepting that they can keep on getting away with that!

But 17th mean we have just beaten relegation. Lets see where we are after 14 games.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Jail…I was thinking about the season target the other day. Reading it, I couldn’t tell whether Charnely meant top 8 and winning a cup this season, or whether that was Steves ultimate target during his tenure.

At the fans forum, someone asked the club about targets for this season, and they referred them back to that message from Charney.

• the broons

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:19 AM

SUTTY

That is true yes, however I have always been told that I only see the negatives in Newcastle in the past. And yet even in this current predicament I feel we have been more unlucky than anything else.

Stoke is a real good tester, they are a team in my opinion that are actually average but have players like Bojan and Shaqiri who on their day can hurt teams. And of course Shawcross the real leader at the back that we yearn for.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Ibiza…I don’t remember having trouble reading that statement but it’s along time ago now…

I just think they are hollow empty words designed to keep us at bay!

• the broons

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Ibizatoon

Both me and my dad discussed it and it was without doubt during his entire tenure.

If he meant first season then he totally underestimated the cups as there is only 2 on offer for us now 1. Having said that and I know how deluded i may sound but I generally think just 1 premier league quality centre back alonside mbemba improves our chances significantly.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Churnleys statements are designed to sap moral and expunge any last will to be able to think for your self !

• BeeGuy

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:24 AM

I don’t think the FA and EPL want NUFC to be relegated, so at some point the ref decisions will start to favor the Mags.

• nut meg

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Ibizatoon
    I think it’s over SM tenure and the 3 transfer window’s.That’s how I picked it up anyway.

• Ibizatoon

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Everyone 🙂 …I read it and thought that can’t possibly be this seasons target. I’ve also read a lot about top 8 being our target, but can only find that mention of it.

Was just wondering, and I realise how silly this sounds, whether there had been any clarification on the matter?

Yeah, I know.

Broons…Whilst I think we have a lot of work to do with the squad, a decent CB pairing for Mbemba would be a huge step.

• TroubledToon

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:37 AM

@Beeguy
    Then y did they “let” us get relegated a few seasons ago?

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Beeguy,
    Not sure where you get that from

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Welsh, very sorry to hear of your dad’s illness. I hope he manages to recover well. Same goes to all of you who have had this affect your lives.

I watched half of that ‘Running From the Cure’ documentary that Bobby mentioned last night before I went to sleep. I’ll watch the other half today. It was a very interesting watch. I’ve seen a similar documentary on Netflix of Cannabis easing the pain of a lot of M.S. Sufferers.

It’s a shame that we have a society which is structured by money accumulation, not the best interests of the environment and the health of the people on it.

—————–

On today’s game, I hope Siem can be involved and play well. He’s got a lot of fine attributes that I hope we all get to see very soon

• jimmysmith

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:49 AM

……………………………..Elliot

Janmaat………Mbemba………Colo…………Haidarra

……………………….Tiote
    ……………………………………Sissko

…………Perez………….SDJ………….Wijnaldum
    ………………………………….Mitro

How can you sign a player like De Jong and not play him. What are we, Real Madrid? It would borderline insulting not to play him considering Colbacks absence.

• Jib

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Forget about getting a battle hardened PL veteran to shore up the back 4

• nufc 11

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Jannmat moved rm Sissoko cm and mbabu rb

• Ibizatoon

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Jib…I read the bit that followed, “The club’s policy on recruitment remains unchanged however, as previously stated, it may consider exceptions in specific circumstances.”

Is that not what is being asked? Given our PL position, and lack of leadership, would our policy not benefit from an exception or two?

It would appear not.

• catchy in norway

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Well guys if we are judging him after 10 games , IMO he has worked miricles with this squad, results have not followed the good perormances, but only a fool would say we are not playing better football

• dcdick

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Well he has had his 10 games & won 1 in the league

My judgement is that he is a poor manager bought “on the cheap” who has failed to deliver.

The team started the season short on fitness & have shown almost no discipline on the field, why are we paying fitness coaches & even a motivational coach !!!!!

All I can see is relegation form, as when we are on the front foot we don’t score enough goals & when the opposition score we just give up

The few good players we do have will soon be looking to move on

Big changes needed & I see no hope of any of those in the near future.
    If we do get relegated this season we will languish there for a considerable period

When my granddad first took me to St James (1951) the game was played by men that didn’t fling themselves on the ground at every opportunity & sending off’s were very rare
    Whatever happened to the game of football ?

D

• hibbitt

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:19 AM

jimmysmith its easy the lads not fit enough to play a full game

• jimmysmith

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:22 AM

He needs to last 90 minutes?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Catchy…when it comes McClaren you would never be called upon to testify mate 😉 lol

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Ibiza…link the statement from Charmley and highlight the addressed paragraph!

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Catchy, I agree that the football is developing all the time. Pinocchio the mischievous wooden boy and his dinosaurs didn’t have them playing any pre-planned attacking football. Sit back and attack with limited bodies, and off the cuff, hope it comes off football.

Even at the first game of the season, you could see in the warm up that instead of the bog started down the line and cross it in, they were doing 1-2 overlaps on the 18 yard box and cut backs. A far cry from the last few years, and that’s the sort of development which was needed.

They haven’t been coached proper football in years, so it’s almost back to basics for them as a team – a group of players making one fluid unit. It’ll take time, but there’s noticeable improvements, as long as we keep 11 men on the pitch.

I do believe we have a number of very capable players.

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:33 AM

I don’t think McClaren should have got the job at all by the way, but the development in football patterns on the pitch compared to before is there for all to see.

Keep doing the right things, and the right results will increase.

It should have been Klopp, Benetiz, Garcia, De Boer etc who were brought in.

• Jib

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:34 AM

jimmysmith
    Colback and SdJ are totally different midfield animals , it would take a profound shake up of the core of the team to accomodate a player who is slowly coming back from a longterm lay off.

SM has it right , late game substitutions getting progressively more field time and possibly a good run out in the FA cup ties.

His rehab was set back by the unpunished flying head butt from Chelsea’s Ramires

• Laurent Robert 32

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:34 AM

*Benitez

• hibbitt

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:40 AM

jimmy Mc can be blamed for a lot of thing but the pre season fiasco was down to charnley and his total incompetence Mc was still at derby when the tour plans were made plastic pitches and second rate teams were no help at all in our preparation for the new season

• jimmysmith

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:49 AM

It’s the slowest return to fitness in the history of returns to fitness. He’s been on the bench for about two months. Either one of Widj or Sissoko can play in there. Does the system restrict us to two DM’s out of Anita, Tiote and Colback. I’m not blaming McC for anything at this stage, but I think it’s time we saw this player.

• Bobbybee

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Fail and bladeuser, i’ve left a message for you on the previos page. Hate for you to miss it.

• Mister Tuff

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Bobbybee – you’ve stated your position again and again – cannot see the point of doing so again and again and again -to the point of being a bore. So with all due respect stfu.
    I would hate to be your missus when you are on the rampage -severe earache -lasting day after day after day after day.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Booby bee,
    Well that was a pretty long winded attempt to promote the morally outstanding virtues of wonga and Mike Ashley.

• Bobbybee

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:18 AM

The target of a trophy was within the three year contract given to Macca. The three windows was to build a team to make that challenge. Come on now, did anybody SERIOUSLY expect him to take the worst squad in the PL and win first season? He asked for three windows, but is getting judged on three 1months. Just give the guy a chance, the football is definitely improving imo – hate to drive anybody to suicide by being over positive, eh placca? Somebody might feel insulted by such positivity. Imo we will not be relegated and with money to spend, we can push on next season. Please, don’t expect anybody to take the worst squad in the league and turn it round immediately, give him a fighting chance. Like it or not, he’s here to stay, just accept it and try backing the team.