The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

McClaren – First Ten Games Have Been Like This

8:49 am, Saturday, October 31st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 123 Comments

Steve McClaren was asked during his press conference yesterday for the game against Stoke – what the last 10 games have been like – and he said they had been a roller coaster.

But he also said that over those 10 games – which were up and down to say the least – he thought the coaching staff and the players handled the situation well.

steve mcclaren

Steve McClaren at his press conference

This is some of what Steve said yesterday:

“It´s been a roller coaster 10 games in very aspect – in three of the games we played with 10 men for over 45 minutes – we been very up and down – very inconuisstenmt”

“In the last two games in terms of performance we have been kind of consistent and we need that going forward.”

“We have all got a responsibility to react well to games whether we win, lose or draw, and that’s something we have done well, I think, for 10 games.”

“The inconsistencies, the bad results, the bad performances, things that have happened, I think we have dealt with them very calmly, very well, and I credit the players with that also.

“Yes, that was very, very disappointing and it was interesting to see the players’ reaction and focus from Tuesday onwards.”

“This is a big game for us and once again we need the crowd behind us and they were fantastic last week even at the end when the players didn´t want to stay behind.”

“But they had to and give applause to the crowd for staying with them all the way through – following and supporting their team – we need that again on Saturday.”

Newcastle have 9 games before the end of the year and we must get some wins on the board so we can move up the league table.

Here´s the schedule of games through January 2nd next year.

October
Sat 31	15:00	H	Stoke City
November
Sat 07	12:45	A	Bournemouth
Sat 21	15:00	H	Leicester City
Sat 28	15:00	A	Crystal Palace
December
Sun 06	16:00	H	Liverpool
Sun 13	16:00	A	Tottenham
Sat 19	17:30	H	Aston Villa
Sat 26	17:30	H	Everton
Mon 28	15:00	A	WBA
January
Sat 02	15:00	A	Arsenal

How many points do you think we can get from the next 10 games?

Tags: Coaching · Poll · Premier League · Press · Press Conference

123 responses so far ↓

• 1 geordieviking // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Welshie,

Please check end of last thread.

(One of these days I’ll kill Ed for his rapid fire posts. 😉 )

• 2 Obafan // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:54 AM

Is there a possibility to record the livestream cause I cannot watch the game.

Or is there a website to watch the complete game later.

• 3 the broons // Oct 31, 2015 at 8:59 AM

Can I just encourage fans on here going to the game to indeed get behind the players. They deserve all the encouragement possible after our damned luck last week, if they see we are still behind them then it will drive them to the result today and hopefully kickstart our season in the long run.

• 4 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:04 AM

Does McClaren still want to be judge after these 10-12 games or do we have to feel sorry for him now?

I’ll give him 14 games because if we are still in the bottom then that’s where we will end then it’s last chance to really do something about it.

People are defined by their actions not their lack thereof.

• 5 Jail for Ashley // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:07 AM

Jesper,
    I think he genuinely thought he’d be in mid table after ten games which is why he was brought in, top eight is the public target the reality is 17th to 10th.

• 6 SUTTY1978 // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:12 AM

“The inconsistencies, the bad results, the bad performances, things that have happened, I think we have dealt with them very calmly, very well,”

How have you dealt with them very well when they keep re-occurring??

• 7 nut meg // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:12 AM

Obafan @2
    This site has a video archive where you can see either the highlights,sometimes the full game but not until the following day.

• 8 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:16 AM

Jail…I think most of us do know that those targets are nothing but empty words…I am just not accepting that they can keep on getting away with that!

But 17th mean we have just beaten relegation. Lets see where we are after 14 games.

• 9 Ibizatoon // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:17 AM

Jail…I was thinking about the season target the other day. Reading it, I couldn’t tell whether Charnely meant top 8 and winning a cup this season, or whether that was Steves ultimate target during his tenure.

At the fans forum, someone asked the club about targets for this season, and they referred them back to that message from Charney.

• 10 the broons // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:19 AM

SUTTY

That is true yes, however I have always been told that I only see the negatives in Newcastle in the past. And yet even in this current predicament I feel we have been more unlucky than anything else.

Stoke is a real good tester, they are a team in my opinion that are actually average but have players like Bojan and Shaqiri who on their day can hurt teams. And of course Shawcross the real leader at the back that we yearn for.

• 11 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Ibiza…I don’t remember having trouble reading that statement but it’s along time ago now…

I just think they are hollow empty words designed to keep us at bay!

• 12 the broons // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:22 AM

Ibizatoon

Both me and my dad discussed it and it was without doubt during his entire tenure.

If he meant first season then he totally underestimated the cups as there is only 2 on offer for us now 1. Having said that and I know how deluded i may sound but I generally think just 1 premier league quality centre back alonside mbemba improves our chances significantly.

• 13 Jail for Ashley // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:23 AM

Churnleys statements are designed to sap moral and expunge any last will to be able to think for your self !

• 14 BeeGuy // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:24 AM

I don’t think the FA and EPL want NUFC to be relegated, so at some point the ref decisions will start to favor the Mags.

• 15 nut meg // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:26 AM

Ibizatoon
    I think it’s over SM tenure and the 3 transfer window’s.That’s how I picked it up anyway.

• 16 Ibizatoon // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Everyone 🙂 …I read it and thought that can’t possibly be this seasons target. I’ve also read a lot about top 8 being our target, but can only find that mention of it.

Was just wondering, and I realise how silly this sounds, whether there had been any clarification on the matter?

Yeah, I know.

Broons…Whilst I think we have a lot of work to do with the squad, a decent CB pairing for Mbemba would be a huge step.

• 17 TroubledToon // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:37 AM

@Beeguy
    Then y did they “let” us get relegated a few seasons ago?

• 18 Jail for Ashley // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Beeguy,
    Not sure where you get that from

• 19 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Welsh, very sorry to hear of your dad’s illness. I hope he manages to recover well. Same goes to all of you who have had this affect your lives.

I watched half of that ‘Running From the Cure’ documentary that Bobby mentioned last night before I went to sleep. I’ll watch the other half today. It was a very interesting watch. I’ve seen a similar documentary on Netflix of Cannabis easing the pain of a lot of M.S. Sufferers.

It’s a shame that we have a society which is structured by money accumulation, not the best interests of the environment and the health of the people on it.

—————–

On today’s game, I hope Siem can be involved and play well. He’s got a lot of fine attributes that I hope we all get to see very soon

• 20 jimmysmith // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:49 AM

……………………………..Elliot

Janmaat………Mbemba………Colo…………Haidarra

……………………….Tiote
    ……………………………………Sissko

…………Perez………….SDJ………….Wijnaldum
    ………………………………….Mitro

How can you sign a player like De Jong and not play him. What are we, Real Madrid? It would borderline insulting not to play him considering Colbacks absence.

• 21 Jib // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:52 AM

Forget about getting a battle hardened PL veteran to shore up the back 4

• 22 nufc 11 // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:54 AM

Jannmat moved rm Sissoko cm and mbabu rb

• 23 Ibizatoon // Oct 31, 2015 at 9:59 AM

Jib…I read the bit that followed, “The club’s policy on recruitment remains unchanged however, as previously stated, it may consider exceptions in specific circumstances.”

Is that not what is being asked? Given our PL position, and lack of leadership, would our policy not benefit from an exception or two?

It would appear not.

• 24 catchy in norway // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Well guys if we are judging him after 10 games , IMO he has worked miricles with this squad, results have not followed the good perormances, but only a fool would say we are not playing better football

• 25 dcdick // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:18 AM

Well he has had his 10 games & won 1 in the league

My judgement is that he is a poor manager bought “on the cheap” who has failed to deliver.

The team started the season short on fitness & have shown almost no discipline on the field, why are we paying fitness coaches & even a motivational coach !!!!!

All I can see is relegation form, as when we are on the front foot we don’t score enough goals & when the opposition score we just give up

The few good players we do have will soon be looking to move on

Big changes needed & I see no hope of any of those in the near future.
    If we do get relegated this season we will languish there for a considerable period

When my granddad first took me to St James (1951) the game was played by men that didn’t fling themselves on the ground at every opportunity & sending off’s were very rare
    Whatever happened to the game of football ?

D

• 26 hibbitt // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:19 AM

jimmysmith its easy the lads not fit enough to play a full game

• 27 jimmysmith // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:22 AM

He needs to last 90 minutes?

• 28 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:23 AM

Catchy…when it comes McClaren you would never be called upon to testify mate 😉 lol

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:25 AM

Ibiza…link the statement from Charmley and highlight the addressed paragraph!

• 30 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:30 AM

Catchy, I agree that the football is developing all the time. Pinocchio the mischievous wooden boy and his dinosaurs didn’t have them playing any pre-planned attacking football. Sit back and attack with limited bodies, and off the cuff, hope it comes off football.

Even at the first game of the season, you could see in the warm up that instead of the bog started down the line and cross it in, they were doing 1-2 overlaps on the 18 yard box and cut backs. A far cry from the last few years, and that’s the sort of development which was needed.

They haven’t been coached proper football in years, so it’s almost back to basics for them as a team – a group of players making one fluid unit. It’ll take time, but there’s noticeable improvements, as long as we keep 11 men on the pitch.

I do believe we have a number of very capable players.

• 31 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:33 AM

I don’t think McClaren should have got the job at all by the way, but the development in football patterns on the pitch compared to before is there for all to see.

Keep doing the right things, and the right results will increase.

It should have been Klopp, Benetiz, Garcia, De Boer etc who were brought in.

• 32 Jib // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:34 AM

jimmysmith
    Colback and SdJ are totally different midfield animals , it would take a profound shake up of the core of the team to accomodate a player who is slowly coming back from a longterm lay off.

SM has it right , late game substitutions getting progressively more field time and possibly a good run out in the FA cup ties.

His rehab was set back by the unpunished flying head butt from Chelsea’s Ramires

• 33 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:34 AM

*Benitez

• 34 hibbitt // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:40 AM

jimmy Mc can be blamed for a lot of thing but the pre season fiasco was down to charnley and his total incompetence Mc was still at derby when the tour plans were made plastic pitches and second rate teams were no help at all in our preparation for the new season

• 35 jimmysmith // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:49 AM

It’s the slowest return to fitness in the history of returns to fitness. He’s been on the bench for about two months. Either one of Widj or Sissoko can play in there. Does the system restrict us to two DM’s out of Anita, Tiote and Colback. I’m not blaming McC for anything at this stage, but I think it’s time we saw this player.

• 36 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 10:58 AM

Fail and bladeuser, i’ve left a message for you on the previos page. Hate for you to miss it.

• 37 Mister Tuff // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Bobbybee – you’ve stated your position again and again – cannot see the point of doing so again and again and again -to the point of being a bore. So with all due respect stfu.
    I would hate to be your missus when you are on the rampage -severe earache -lasting day after day after day after day.

• 38 Jail for Ashley // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Booby bee,
    Well that was a pretty long winded attempt to promote the morally outstanding virtues of wonga and Mike Ashley.

• 39 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:18 AM

The target of a trophy was within the three year contract given to Macca. The three windows was to build a team to make that challenge. Come on now, did anybody SERIOUSLY expect him to take the worst squad in the PL and win first season? He asked for three windows, but is getting judged on three 1months. Just give the guy a chance, the football is definitely improving imo – hate to drive anybody to suicide by being over positive, eh placca? Somebody might feel insulted by such positivity. Imo we will not be relegated and with money to spend, we can push on next season. Please, don’t expect anybody to take the worst squad in the league and turn it round immediately, give him a fighting chance. Like it or not, he’s here to stay, just accept it and try backing the team.

• 40 Jail for Ashley // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:18 AM

• 41 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:23 AM

Mr Tuff, i was REPLYING to messages left this morning by the three stooges. You will not hear another word on the subject, i assure you. Point proven, no point carrying it on. 😉 Had there been nothing left for me today, I wouldn’t have said a word on the subject, but i do have the right to reply, if that’s ok by the blog police?

• 42 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:26 AM

Jabba’s Jibba Jabba

Whats this about? “Blackley is living proof that ownership of a season ticket and going to every game for 40 years is no guarantee of knowing wtf you are talking about.” Hahahaha.

I ask you to explain. But when I ask you to explain anything you disappear quicker than Mr Benn. While you’re on, what are these profound and fundamental changes I’m missing?

Graham Carr, Lee Charnley, Makro and Costco have not managed to sort out our defence, which is abysmal. Mark Hughes will be targeting Colo, he’s such a gift. Makro and Costco have shown no signs of being able to work effectively with what they’ve got, putting their trust in Colo. They only discovered Mbabu could be trusted because of circumstance. Giving away free kicks in our own half could well be the death of us today, but Makro and Costco have either not identified it or not been able to put an end to it.

HWTL.

• 43 Mister Tuff // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:29 AM

Bobbybee – nobody is suggesting you do not have the right to reply – so no point in taking a swipe at me – on something invented.

• 44 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:32 AM

As sad as that is, don’t borrow money you can’t, or have no intention, of paying back. Don’t remember this fuss when we were sponsored by Northern Rock, who regularly took peoples houses from them before costing the country billions.would you also like a list of people murdered, badly injured or suicides and deaths caused by alcohol abuse? No complaints when we were sponsored by the biggest drug pushers in the country – legal drug or not. How many suicides through gambling debts? We can all pick out tragic cases and there ‘s far more than wonga’s.

• 45 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Mr tuff, slow down, there was not one dig at you in that. I do not consider YOU the blog police, so don’t be so touchy.

• 46 Mister Tuff // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:34 AM

Blackley – asking a question will get rid of Jib Jibberish for the day although Jane might deputise for him now.

• 47 hibbitt // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:34 AM

bobbybee give it a rest lad your like a broken record we get your a season ticket holder and you think your special but your not your one of 46000 thats all nothing more nothing less just one of the crowd

• 48 Jail for Ashley // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:35 AM

Funjy that the only other team to sport wonga logos are run by the notorious Oyston family.

• 49 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:38 AM

Hearts?

• 50 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Welshie, sorry to hear about your dad hope he recovers from that horrible illness. My wife has lost two sisters to it. One very recently so I can sympathise.

Bobbybee’s comments on cannabis oil is possibly worth following up on, there was quite a good article in the June/July 2015 issue of Nexus Magazine, probably available on the Nexus website

It seems to have been a sh!t year on many fronts for a lot of people. An astrologer friend reckons that there are some conflicting aspects of the planets causing mayhem. It probably sounds a bit strange to make a comment like that so I won’t say any more about it but I can believe it may be true.

• 51 Jib // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:41 AM

Later in that Guardian item about Wonga this was said.

“Wonga agreed with the FCA in October to make “significant” changes to its business because it was “not taking adequate steps to assess customers’ ability to meet repayments in a sustainable manner”. This meant that hundreds of thousands of Wonga customers subsequently had their outstanding loans written off.”

written off mark you.

If anyone owed Jail a few bob would he write it off ?

I think not !

• 52 Jail for Ashley // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:43 AM

Russian mafia !

• 53 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:46 AM

On a different note it’ll be interesting to see how the ref performs today.

Stoke have many similarities to Sunderland so if none of their players are booked or red carded then we can then be sure that they definitely have some sort of agenda against NUFC.

What’s the chances of us getting our first penalty in over two years?

• 54 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:51 AM

That’s the whole point hibitt, i ain’t special. I’m like the other 46k – slight exaggeration – who still buy ST’s year in year out. So why are we part of the problem, when the Ashley out mob are lucky to raise 400 for their mass protests? I use the word mass with a huge dollop of sarcasm. Should i sit and take abuse off placca fans and not defend my point? Wrong guy here mate. We are the majority and i am defending that majority. I will always defend that majority because I ain’t ever heard a manager, or player, ever say ‘the fans who sit on their arses at home are so important to us’, have you? They regularly praise those of us who turn up, so why should i sit here and be called part of the problem by an idiot who never goes? I’m far from special mate, but as nobody else sticks up for the loyal fans who’ve kept the club alive for years, then i will. If people don’t insult us, again, you will hear nothing more on the subject, but whilst they do, i will exercise my right to speak on behalf of those 46000.

• 55 BandB // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:52 AM

Ibizatoon

I know you aren’t around, but can I ask you to refrain in future from appealing for fans to show respect to one another and treat each other fairly.
    I know you hate conflict, but that is just a red rag to a bull round here.
    One thing you actually don’t seem to understand about Newcastle fans is that they cordially despise each other. Always have, always will.
    Once provoked, they will throw the kitchen sink at you, and in your repeated appeals for reason you are appealing to the wrong audience on here.
    You look like James Stewart in The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance, waving a law book in the face of s thug with a gun. ~The bloggers play the role of the cowardly townsfolk who scarper from the saloon at the first sight of trouble. Trouble they’ll blame you for starting.
    You managed to give Bobby an all-day platform to fantasise about his true dream of being the last fan left in the ground when we are in Division One.
    I can’t wait for math time to come around, and I’m not even married to him.

• 56 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:54 AM

I’ll tell ya what, being the reasonable person I am, i am more than willing to call a truce. You don’t insult loyal fans and I won’t reply in a slightly mean manner any more. Now i can live with that. Can they. Dead simple. Truce or not?

• 57 bettyswallocks // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:57 AM

BandB…… You love it really. That must have taken care of your controversy fix for a while.

• 58 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 11:58 AM

There ya go, i call a truce and what happens. Is it halloween already. I will NEVER Be the last fan, because there was always a hard core of us and they’ll always be there too. Trust me pet, you would never be married to me, i guarantee it 😉

• 59 hibbitt // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:01 PM

bobby you have no mandate to speak on behalf of any one but yourself your views are yours and yours alone

• 60 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:02 PM

Come on, i’m still waiting. I’ve offered terms of a truce. Accept it or not, but make your minds up. Some of us have things to do and places to go. 😉

• 61 BandB // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:06 PM

betty

I’m going to explain why I have come to think less of you.
    When I first started posting here, you were one of the crowd that indulged themselves in cheap sexist snarks…which seemed to stem from the fact you thought my dislike of Ashley equated to a dislike of the club. A common enough trait among Ashley apologists.
    So I was surprised when you became staunchly Ashley Out and started blowing smoke up my bottom for a few weeks.
    Then Ashley spoke, and you changed overnight. Again. I could have accepted it if you had just attacked the ideas you yourself had held the day before, but you attacked the people as well.
    I commented when you suggested G2 should look between his legs to find out who he was.
    If courage was to be located between the legs, Betty, you might have found yours by now.

• 62 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:06 PM

How do you know I haven’t? Who do you know I’ve discussed this with? The fans where i sit regularly laugh at comments on here and i can’t repeat what they say.

• 63 BandB // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Bobby,

I was typing while you were typing, and therefore didn’t see it.
    Fairly obviously.

• 64 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:09 PM

Newsflash. Betty commits suicide because BandB doesn’t like him anymore. Tragic.

• 65 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Ok, now we’re even then. The truce applies to all concerned. No more nasties, just football. Will you accept that fair truce?

• 66 Mister Tuff // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Hahahahaha ——– Bobbybee – you speak on behalf of 46,000 fans. Well if you say so we’ll believe you, now for the sake of the blog stfu.

• 67 BandB // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:12 PM

Bob,

One of these days I might be arsed to turn properly on you.
    It’s always fun when that happens.
    But I think not.
    Enjoy the match, chucky egg.

• 68 Average_Contents // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:14 PM

Exercise your right to speak on other’s behalf.

How very up your own arse could you get. Not much more because you’d have two heads and one is quite enough.

Look, look at me, fighting injustice on all your behalfs.

Well aren’t you the voice for the little guy, the pinprick of darkness in the light who many aspire to be, the beacon of blog land and defender of pomposity

All round good guy.

Get over yourself.

Ibiza

It’s ALL YOUR FAULT. I had no choice but to say the above because what you started it off on – rants of epic proportions thus clogging up the blog.

Epic waffle.

Now where have I seen that before 😉

• 69 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Mr tuff, this is a blog. So you stfu if you can’t accept an offered truce. I certainly speak on behalf of many fans who find the ashley out a joke, but like it or not, there are 46000 who, like me, keep turning up to support our club. Undeniable. How many turn up for the ashley out protests? 3-400 max. Nuff said.

• 70 reilly // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:18 PM

bobby do you post on newcastle mad

• 71 Jail for Ashley // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Booby,
    If I ever to decide to renew my ST and found I was sitting next to you, I would I’d watch the games on the telly in the bar.

• 72 JamesToon // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Jesus it’s like bloody middle school reading all these stupid arguments on here

• 73 BandB // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Start off some football craic then James…

• 74 Average_Contents // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:20 PM

I’ve got it, bobbys the announcer at games. That’s the only way.

Snigger.

Do you have mirrors on the ceiling and walls. In every room.

Look at me. EVERYBODY.

• 75 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:21 PM

Band B, all hostilities ceased between us. I’m pleased about that. Shame it takes a woman to be the real man though – absolutely no offence, but you know that anyway. I’m sure you get my point.

• 76 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:25 PM

AC, you have one weird imagination. Your house must be like a circus. Or tent, or wherever you abide. I have called a truce, but only one person accepted it. Continue to abuse me, it’ll keep coming right back at ya. Average content pretty much sums you up – very average.

• 77 Average_Contents // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM

1-1 today. Mitrovic.

I’d be tempted to drop sissoko next to tiote and start winegum in a midfield trio, then de Jong ahead of them with perez and mitrovic just ahead of him. Sort of 4-3-1-2. Obviously winegum and sissoko pushing up in attack to resemble a 4-1-3-2 then dropping back to help the fullbacks out in defence.

Jannmatt–mbemba–dummet–haidara

Winegum—-tiote—-sissoko

———-De jong———-

—–Perez——mitrovic—

• 78 bettyswallocks // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:29 PM

BandB…….. This club that we all supposedly support does not revolve solely around Ashley. For it to be a worthwhile passion to support this club , there has to be a point when the performances on the pitch become more relevant than our hatred of Ashley.

I supported the Ashley Out Campaign as I considered it relevant at the time. I still dislike the man intensely but unless you are suggesting more militant action to oust him today, then I prefer to wait and see how things develop with our new set up.

I do not intend to credit Ashley with any improvements we may be showing but ir does appear that he is taking a back seat with team related affairs which is all I care about at this moment in time.

It is my choice how I support my club as it is your choice as to whether or not to provoke controversy.

• 79 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:30 PM

Just curious but does anyone want to comment on todays match.

I thought I’d made a reasonable point about today’s ref but it seems to have been engulfed in a tide of pointless recriminations and school boy arguments.

Guess I’ll just step back and enjoy the Haloween or as I call it Samhain blog frolics.

Oh and hope for a win (any type) today.

• 80 Average_Contents // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:32 PM

I don’t think much would get past the midfield three tbh and why not try it. He’s tried everything else.

Thanks Bob. Very insightful as always. And very original. Well done 🙂

• 81 Average_Contents // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:33 PM

Egb@77 mate lol

• 82 optimistic prime // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:34 PM

I see a stunning victory today.

Maybe on the blog, maybe on the pitch.

Enjoy your day folks, I see you already are 🙂

• 83 BandB // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Betty,

It’s not me providing a running commentary on your posts and snarking when you aren’t around.
    If you stop, I’ll happily not respond.
    You have your views on the club. They don’t cause me any offence.

• 84 optimistic prime // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:35 PM

Ashley out!

• 85 Average_Contents // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:37 PM

I’m in work today so won’t be able to watch unfortunately, don’t know if it’s worth it coming on here as the diversity of opinions on how we are playing is like night and day sometimes.

Wading through shite more often than not.

Hwtl hwtf

Ashley out

Penfold out

Speaker on behalf of mankind out

• 86 Mister Tuff // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:37 PM

I’m going for a victory today 2 -1.
    surely we’ve got to get a victory at some time.

• 87 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Bobby, are fans that sit where you sit laughing at what is on here the same ones that were practically silent showing hardly any vocal support in the ground whatsoever? Is that them? There’s a majority of them too, right when the players could do with a lift. That’s annoyed me for years.

We’ve had our season tickets over 20 years and go to away games when possible. I’d never leave early, sing throughout the game no matter the score and I’m always looking to be loud with vocal encouragement.

I was proudly part of the Ashley Out mob and Pinocchio in the bin crew, boycotted about 5 games last year (literally stood outside nearby with ticket in pocket – which was unbelievably hard to do) in order to make a statement that for the BEST INTERESTS of the club, an obese owner who is just interested in having his logo on tv must be removed.

Fans dedicated enough to miss the games in order to show a statement of intent can be more of the hardcore than a lot who either can’t see the wood for the trees, or continue the ‘routine’ rather than showing passion when inside the ground – which had been a morgue.

Supporting the club isn’t necessarily just about turning up (and being quiet). When your fridge breaks do you keep putting the groceries in there? When you have a flat tyre do you keep driving on it? No, you take action and ATTEMPT to fix it.

My opinion.

Many other fans no longer have tickets at all. The few thousand you mention hasn’t included all those fans, not to mention the apathy which has developed in thousands of others.

• 88 BandB // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:39 PM

I thought we’d get something from Man Utd and Chelsea.
    They gave us time to organise our shield wall.
    Norwich played us at our own game, and our strikers were on fire.
    I can’t see Stoke leaving gaps all over, and they will counter-attack, which is our vulnerability.
    So we had better take the chances we get today.

• 89 angelswithdirtyfaces // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:44 PM

Swansea boy

All the best boyo to yer Da.
    Divvent worry too much – a lot of us have survived the Big C. Just roll with it, treatments have improved massively in the last few years. Morriston is supposed to be pretty good.

• 90 bettyswallocks // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:44 PM

BandB…….. To be portrayed as an Ashley sympathiser and a fickle turncoat by you, as well as being accused of offensive behaviour when having a bit of banter was obviously meant to provoke a reaction and generate controversy .

Perhaps you were just having a bad day but since my apology to you on here, I have treated you with the utmost respect , perhaps overly so, but anyway the respect has not been reciprocated.

• 91 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:45 PM

AV yeah sorry mate, I spotted that after I’d posted. 🙂

• 92 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Essex, with the lack of pens we’re given, it’s hard not to imagine a vendetta against us. Stoke are still a dirty team so if we are to get one, today should be it. Not counting many chickens though. We’ve been denied so many stone wallers. I’ve put 3-1 on my super6 but i am the eternal optimist. 😉 Fingers crossed.

• 93 BandB // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:46 PM

Okay,

I’ll try again.
    I think we will play them off the park with free-scoring football, proving once and for all that we are definitely on the right track.
    And what is Supermc’s favourite colour

There.
    Is that the kind of debate we won’t sulk over?

• 94 bettyswallocks // Oct 31, 2015 at 12:59 PM

BandB…… That’s all very well but have you no washing up you can be gerrin on with.

Sorry, couldn’t resist. Truce if you want one.x

• 95 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:00 PM

Laurent, much respect for backing your beliefs with actions. I admire that completely as it must have been hard. But it didn’t work and won’t because he will go when he’s good and ready mate. My gripe was with one person, who never goes, never has, yet insulted those who do. By what right does he have to demand we boycott when he does nothing? Just not having it mate, that simple. It’s not about boycotters – genuine ones i completely admire, but not being told i’m the problem after decades of going. I keep saying it, but boycotts and politics don’t interest me. I support the team, not the board. It’s been worse than this, before you started going, but the hardcore stuck it out and shouted from start to finish. It ‘s sport, not politics in my eyes. You have my upmost respect, because I simply couldn’t do it. After nearly 5 decades, I ‘m too far gone. Fortunately the crowd is back on board because they see the changes. Enjoy the game today. You have my respect.

• 96 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:05 PM

I do find the comments on plastic Geordies amusing.

When I lived in the NE I used to go to every game and even went to many reserve games.

I’d often be one of very few standing on a wind swept terrace wondering what the lads on the pitch were thinking about the idiots who made the effort on these days.

I had the sneaking feeling they thought that I was possibly a scout, after all who else would turn up on days like that.

Most of the reserve team football was more like Sunday league than First division (as it was then) looks pretty sad when I reflect on it.

Getting to games was easier then as you could just turn up and queue. The few times I’ve looked at going to matches near me aren’t that easy with ticket restrictions and frankly to much of an effort in my twilight years. So the TV is the preferred option these days I’m afraid.

• 97 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:11 PM

Right, got to go now or i might miss ko with my wheelchair getting stuck in the many ruts. My offer of a truce still stands if you three want it. Your choice. I’ll even admit to being slightly ott due to the pain I ‘m in – it brings out the worst in me sadly. No more nasties. No more talk of boycotts between us either. I am 58 and this is all rather silly, even i can see that, but i can’t help my passion can i? And i don’t like being insulted, surprisingly. The pipe of peace is being offered, it would be churlish to ignore it. We all say hurtful things when in anger. Take it or leave it, your choice.

• 98 John Tudor // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:14 PM

white man speak with fork tongue

• 99 Bobbybee // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:17 PM

Essex, trust me when i say my comments were not aimed at you mate. It was a long winded argument i’m slightly ashamed of now, but i have a short fuse and lost it a bit. You went to games – good on ya marra. Bollox, i’m not getting into it again, but if you read back you might see my point. Not that it’s worth reading as all sides – me included acted rather silly.

• 100 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:18 PM

Bobby, fair enough. I just want what is best for the club. If I see something detrimental to the possible development of the club, I’ll speak out and do what I can to help correct it. I can’t accept seeing something that is ‘wrong’ (subjective term) and doing nothing about it. That’s just me.

We’d gone to every round of the cup one year, although didn’t go put the applications in via season tickets for whatever reason, I can’t remember – we weren’t allowed a ticket for the final against Man Utd. (We went inside to the Dalglish one though).

We decided to still go and show out support anyway, up Wembley Way etc. We took a little colour tv and sat on the grassy bank next to the stadium wall (right of the steps) because they wouldn’t give us a ticket.

Seeing a number of our fans inside that ground streaming out and leaving really early absolutely grated on me as we were raring to show support. All is not what it seems with fans inside and outside of the ground sometimes. Those inside eager to leave a sinking ship, others like us, for one reason or another, who couldn’t get in.

• 101 bettyswallocks // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:22 PM

BandB………. The difference between iron man and iron woman:- One is a superhero and the other one an order.

That’s definitely the last one, I promise. I feel vindicated now.x

• 102 Roosta // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:27 PM

Essex, dont take any notice of the plastic Geordie bollocks me old son, some of the best fans i have ever met have been fans from outside of the Toon, in fact a lot of the times i respect you lads more HWTL.

• 103 BandB // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:29 PM

bettyswallocks,

I’ve just been thrashed five-nil at Hungry Hippos (which is a very technical game to be fair…..)
    That’s as much defeat and humiliation as I’m prepared to contemplate on the athletic front today.

HWTF
    HWTL

• 104 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:35 PM

Could the person who has said they’ve seen profound and fundamental changes please help Jib to explain what they are. He’s obviously heard someone say it but isn’t sure what to cite. Google isn’t helping him on this occasion.

• 105 BandB // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:37 PM

I’ll tell you where being a fan is.
    It’s not in a stadium, or an armchair. It’s not in Newcastle or Melbourne.
    It’s in your heart.
    You can’t buy a ticket for it, because it isn’t for sale.

• 106 bettyswallocks // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:37 PM

BandB…… Hope that’s not an omen for things to come this aft .

• 107 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Mehdi Abeid would have been fine to drop straight in today if the likes of Siem or Anita didn’t play. I’d have persisted with him for longer.

I hope Siem gets some game time today. He can be an intelligent player with a good shot and creative pass. Much prefer that than a team full of runners without any substance, hoping that something comes off to get a goal.

Need to continue the vastly improved inter-linking and 1-2 passing round the edge of their box of late.

• 108 Laurent Robert 32 // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:40 PM

BandB @105, I agree.

• 109 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:41 PM

Bobby, I wasn’t at all offended and certainly wasn’t singling anyone out with my comments.

It was more of a reminiscing on my behalf , I would love to be able to go up to St James on match day as used to and listen to the banter.

Roosta it takes a lot to upset me. Rock in a stream. 😉

The TV experience isn’t the same but it’s a decent enough second.

• 110 nut meg // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:42 PM

Essex Geordie bill @96
    The reserves…….ha ha that brought a smile to my face.When I first started going to SJP I used to go to the reserves as well…along with about 20,000 others.

• 111 firebug666 // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:47 PM

BandB @105

Well said, a great sentiment for all supporters.

• 112 nut meg // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:49 PM

BandB @105
    Yip, that’s pretty much how it is…well put.

• 113 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:50 PM

Bobbybee
    I empathise with your outrage at some people from far away who attack fans who go to games through thick and thin and call them part of the problem. It shows they have no idea. How could they when they’re not from here and don’t come? At least most foreign based fans understand this, and don’t disrespect the locals.

I’ve had the exact same argument with Ibiza and others before you started posting. I understand and respect LR32’s stance too, but I don’t share it. If there was a great alternative waiting in the wings, I might well join him. I dont know about you, but I find when I piss in the wind I like to wear my Berghaus waterproofs, otherwise I get wet trousers and it’s not at all comfortable.

• 114 firebug666 // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:51 PM

See the Wolves fans are singing Williamson’s praises, he is doing everything they asked of him apparently.

• 115 JamesToon // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:52 PM

Need a win today boys, Stoke will be a very tough nut to crack and got some very good players with the likes of bojan, shaqiri, arnautovic and diouf. We have to be on our game and do whatever it takes to get the win.

Going 2-1 to us howdy the lads!

• 116 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:53 PM

Nut Meg

Blimey I must have missed those games, there was never that many in the stadium when I used to go.

It was the early sixties, when did you go?

• 117 nut meg // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:56 PM

Essex
    56 onwards !

• 118 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 31, 2015 at 1:58 PM

By the way I see someone posts occasionally under the name Essex Geordie, I just want to point out that that isn’t me.

That is not a criticism of his or her posts I hasten to add.

I think Willo could still do a good job for as.

• 119 firebug666 // Oct 31, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Lee Ryder ?@lee_ryder now9 seconds ago View translation
    Elliot, Janmaat, Coloccini, Mbemba, Dummett, Sissoko, Tiote, Anita, Wijnaldum, Mitrovic, Perez #nufc

• 120 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 31, 2015 at 2:01 PM

Nut Meg

Aah, that was in our post golden years, probably some great players playing in the reserves then.

• 121 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 31, 2015 at 2:01 PM

BandB
    I’m sure the players today will be spurred on and thoroughly encouraged knowing you have them in your heart. Perhaps the club could break new ground by using Skype to project you and others onto the big screen. I don’t know what the players make of me applauding them when they do well and doing my dinger when they deserve a kick up the arse.

• 122 Essex Geordie Bill // Oct 31, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Ok move along the bus, new thread up.

• 123 Blackley and Brownlie // Oct 31, 2015 at 2:07 PM

For too long now, we’ve had a crap defence. Colo remains a liability. That won’t suddenly change today. I therefore have little confidence in our getting a result. It’s possible that we’ll win as was shown last week. But our better players will have to be inspired again if Colo’s inevitable errors aren’t to cost us. HWTL.

previous post: Fans Less Confident Against Stoke Than Sunderland