More Bad News About Newcastle Goalkeeper

Rob Elliot limped off the field on Saturday after the 0-0 draw against Stoke City and we thought it was that his thigh had gone again, but it turns out he also needs to have surgery on his shoulder.

Rob Elliott+ Newcastle+United+v+Chelsea+Premier+E39wJm8z4Acl

Rob Elliot – needs shoulder surgery

The Mirror is reporting that Rob has been troubled with a shoulder problem for the last two weeks and he played through the pain barrier on Saturday at the request of head coach Steve McClaren.

That’s in addition to his limping off today – and we´re not sure exactly what that problem is other than maybe his thigh which has troubled him for a while since it went about a year ago just before half-time against Chelsea at home.

If Elliot is injured or needs to have surgery immediately on his shoulder, that leaves only 18 year-old Freddie Woodman as a fit goalkeeper, and Newcastle should be able to bring in an experienced goalkeeper as an emergency loan signing.

• Tsunki

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:23 PM

Ashley Out!

• Tsunki

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:25 PM

Thanks Ed I knew you’d come through 😉

So Fat Robs our go-to crock keeps again eh? Anyone saved Jak’s number? Anyone?

• Tsunki

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:27 PM

it’s his pie arm. Shame really.

• lesh

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:30 PM

Bobbybee

The way injuries are stacking up, you could slip into the treatment room without being noticed!

I take it you’ll not be sending a Christmas card to the doc who first examined you after your mishap.

😉

• Bobbybee

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:39 PM

Lesh, he’s well down my list. He might get a summons mind you 😉 If i can get into the treatment room i could chat with Ashley about restoring a singing section. Wishful thinking. As it is, I might even get a game lmao!

• Bobbybee

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:43 PM

From what .i’ve seen of young woody for our academy and U21’s, i wouldn’t be worried if he had to play. He played for the U21’s at only 14 against york city. He’s a cracking young keeper. My only concern would be the defence letting him down and it destroying his confidence.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:48 PM

Mark Hughes is delusional.

• bettyswallocks

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:50 PM

Bobby….. Don’t worry about last night you didn’t go OTT . You just came across very passionate.

By the way you haven’t been giving jib any of them pills have you?

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:51 PM

Great leap and header from Lascelles. Quite a lot of fans have been writing him off I’ve noticed.

• lochinvar

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:52 PM

Armstrong keeps scoring at Coventry – driving home for Xmas ?

• Munster Mag

Oct 31, 2015 at 11:58 PM

Mark hughes…jeez. What a tool

• jayphoto

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:00 AM

@blackley – saw lascelles at forest, best headerer of a ball ive seen. As good as Carroll in the air. Not sure hes great in other areas but aerially i thought he was impressive

• jayphoto

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:03 AM

Guessing they’ll take Valdes? No problem with that. You don’t win the trophies hes won if your awful. I accept hes not in the league of de gea or buffon but the way kruls played in the last year, and elliot, im willing to say hes at least as good as them! Had a few good games for man utd last year too, his distribution is excellent

• Blackley and Brownlie

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:07 AM

Jay
    I’ve not seen Lascelles do too much wrong so far. He doesn’t look fazed.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:13 AM

Perhaps Jib is right is right and there really are profound and fundamental changes happening at NUFC. Certainly, it’s nice to see Makro taking care of Bobby’s pills on a tray every week. It looks complicated with all those different colours and timings Bobby. You can’t ever recall seeing a club bend over backwards for its fans like that. Truly profound and fundamental, Jib.

• jimmysmith

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:14 AM

Valdes may be a great shot stopper and have excellent distribution, however, he comes out for crosses flapping like Howard the Duck, at least he did when I saw him play last time for Man U. Bizarre stuff.

• Bobbybee

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:17 AM

Betty, cheers for that mate, but if I think I’m wrong i will apologise. Sometimes my passion carries me away and i defend myself too robustly. I still believe passionately what I believe, but maybe my choice of words was slightly ott. Either way, the rest of the blog must’ve got fed up of it so better to put it to bed. I’m still not having it that I’m part or whole of the problem by buying my st year in year out, but i made my point on that and if it’s brought up again after my apology, i will lose it properly. 🙂 Anyway, jobs done now. I appreciate your backing though, it makes one feel one’s not fighting a lone battle. 😉

• Bobbybee

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:23 AM

B&B, bend over backwards? I can’t bend over forwards mate. You having a larf? 😉

• Bobbybee

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:28 AM

Right, my wobbly pills are working so before i pick a fight with the whole lot of you, best I say goodnight. 🙂 Don’t forget, everton v mackems tomorrow 1.30. Might as well have a laugh at their expense.

• Toon Tang

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:44 AM

Yeah Sparky must have had the electrodes clamped on his nipples before they wheeled him out for that post-match interview. The lad looked boggled as hell.

• Toon Tang

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:48 AM

From what I saw of the highlights we did everything perfect except ‘the placing of the orb within the walls of the onion bag’

I can feel something is brewing though.

• Toon Tang

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:52 AM

Renaissance I reckon, all change, a new way to the play especially in the attacking 3rd. I’d say a couple of really solid defenders, a creative mid that hasn’t got paper muscles and maybe, just maybe another option for goals and we will be well on our way up the league.

• Toon Tang

Nov 1, 2015 at 12:58 AM

We don’t think we’ll see much of Cisse again eh. Days are looking well numbered for the lad… Maybe sell him to Liverpool for 35mil

• Toon Tang

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:00 AM

Goood morningggg Vietnaaaaaam is what I would be saying if I lived in Vietnam and it was morning.

• Toon Tang

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:02 AM

In fact I wouldn’t even have to live there, I could broadcast from anywhere in the world through internet radio.

• Toon Tang

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:03 AM

Goodnight to all my listeners.

• Reyantoon

Nov 1, 2015 at 1:50 AM

John Dykes and Andy Townsend are my favorite pundits.They summed our match by saying:
    “Newcastle should have scored dozens of goals but today was not meant to be their day..”
    Bit of consolation eh..,
    Frustration day.They made me smile though..!
    Howay x.

• Reyantoon

Nov 1, 2015 at 2:16 AM

Catchy
    You said the table and numbers don’t lie usually.
    But last season under AP,we had 16 points at this stage.Where as 7 now under Steve. Yet you still hammering AP unnecessarily.In modern game,possession and style of play have no value.Only wins matter.end of!

• JDdubai

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:24 AM

Obviously the points are a worry but the performances vs Chelsea, City (first half), Norwich, Mackems and yesterday show we are playing quite well at the moment.

Just need some luck and I think we will be fine. Would be nice to hang around just outside the relegation zone in January so Mike has to splash some more cash though…

Also good finish by Arma yesterday, could see him playing off Mitrovic next season maybe?

And Willo MOM for Wolves on debut 🙂

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 1, 2015 at 4:39 AM

Didn’t see the game yesterday as I was busy working, but it seems like another positive performance but not a great result.

We have now played Watford, Norwich and Stoke at home plus Sunderland away, all teams likely to be bottom half competition and managed just 4 points from 12. Regardless of improving play, it isn’t good enough. We need tobe beating those likely to be in and around us, even at this stage of the changes.

People keep talking of a couple of Jan signings to help us pull away, but the fewer points we pick up, the less likely our targets will be interested in joining.

Yesterday was a must win for me, as is Bournemouth. We needed a minimum of 3 wins from Norwich, Sunderland, Stoke and Bournemouth. 2 more massive points dropped.

• Lilongwe Geordie

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:11 AM

Another 2 injuries as well.

Will we bring in an emergency loan or is it Woodman to start against Bournemouth? Does that leave Woolston on the bench? I can only imagine that would be the youngest Prem goalkeeper pairing of all time.

Janmaat out, so I’d guess Mbabu just slots in there.

• nut meg

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:26 AM

Lilo
    It was a very decent performance & yes, a very disappointing result as you say. It was a top class display by a highly rated goalkeeper that was the difference between getting 3 points instead of the 1 we did get. The one time we managed to beat the keeper the ball came back from hitting the inside of the post which he scrambled away from Wijmaldum as he attempted to get to the rebound but was ruled off side anyway. Sissoko fired a shot that he blocked with what looked to be the inside of his foot and the ball scooped up over the bar.A really powerful header from Lascelles was tipped over the top as was a few more decent efforts.He was,as I say the difference, but it’s still 2 points lost that we badly needed.

• willowdalerez

Nov 1, 2015 at 5:37 AM

Again can understand the frustration on here but not some of the outright negativity and hostility towards Macca and our lads (towards Ashley is understandable though he did keep his words the money was there this summer).

I am equally frustrated. Can only imagine how the lads feel. We are really playing well and should have taken 6 points from the last 2 games instead just 1… Last week it was a bad call by the ref and this week it was a keeper on his day! When will we catch a break (other than an injury)?

Now we may be in serious keeper trouble… How is that possible? Is there a game we don’t pick up an injury? Are the lads on a crystal and china diet?

I am one of those who have been positive and upbeat and still am but I do worry about the numbers… The further we fall behind on points the more it will weigh on the minds of the players and staff (not to mention us) and the more likely something will go wrong in the dressing room and ruin the improvement we have seen.

As the statistical chance of relegation is growing I fully expect Ashley to buy in January but if we don’t pick up enough points the 2nd half of the season will be a pressure cooker. If that happens we’ll just have to hope that Macca can incorporate the January additions quicker than he did the summer ones and bring the lads together to show good form and a great deal of mettle. Hardly something that can be counted on.

We clearly need all 3 poits next week and if we lose to Bournemouth well @#$% maybe Shearer will stop tweeting and come out of retirement for a short spell LOL

Those on here still upset with the team / Macca expect too much… Our luck will change if our form continues but only question is how long will our form hold if the ball doesn’t bounce our way soon… Once demoralized a squad is hard to revive so HWTL and if we need to put young Freddy between the posts then I hope he seizes the opportunity (and catches the ball). I want to be able to come on here and call out the whingers who insist only the numbers matter and don’t believe sometimes there is a story not reflected in the damn numbers!

• will die for the toon army

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:23 AM

Regardless from wat am seeing we r showing progress and we wont get relegated. Our Front 4 have been a headache for all the teams we have played so far. So I believe if they start scoring we will b ok.

50 chances ceeated no goals but there is hope scoring goals is not Mccaz ptoblem it has to b in a player.

I wld give woodman a chance its a long season if it doesn’t work out then I go for emergency loan.

• TroubledToon

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:38 AM

@willow

I agree with u, but all said and done its the points that matter. Yes, we are playing well. Yes, we are creating goal scoring opportunities. Possession has also shown a marked improvement.. Tho I wudnt say we are dominating opponents as Macca did.
    But if all of thus doesn’t translate into points, then its all for nought. That’s what’s the most frustrating part.
    I dunno of many ppl remember, but Blackpool were playing similar football when they were in the PL a few years ago, with Charlie Adam pulling the strings in midfield. They played absolutely brilliant football, but cudnt pick up the points and eventually got relegated. I dread us going down in a similar fashion, bcuz honestly, I don’t think we wud come back straight up the next season. Its scary to think wat can happen to our beloved club if that does happen.
    That’s y the wins against the Scums, Stokes, Bournemouth’s etc are so vital. N that’s y the frustration.
    Tbh, I find us lacking a lil upfront in being clinical while finishing. Especially Mitro. He kinda rushes into the shot. If he shows a lil more composure he wudve scored 5-6 by now instead of just 2. Hopefully this gets addresses sooner ather than later.
    Anyway, I’m still positive we will survive…. But it ain’t gonna cone easy that’s for sure.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:50 AM

Isn’t the main issue (beside the lack of goals) the ongoing inconsistency?

In Danish we describe it as saying “vores bundniveau er extremt lavt”. It sort of means that when we bomb we really bomb. You could say our lowest level if performance is not even close to PL level.

That’s not just because of our limited squad but also because of our limited management.

I didn’t watch the game yesterday but something tells me we for once played good football for more or less 90 mins?

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:51 AM

*if = of

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:53 AM

Will die…but finishing 17th is not really a comfort to me mate!

…it’s a slap in the face

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 1, 2015 at 6:58 AM

Lilongwe…I am not even sure we qualify for a emergency loan?

We had three keepers and still have one.

• jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew

Nov 1, 2015 at 7:01 AM

Reyantoon…Catchy has a blindside when it comes to McClaren;

…he knows it 😉 lol