Newcastle 0 Stoke 0 – Video Highlights

Here are some highlights of the game today – it shows Mitrovic hitting the bar in the first half – notice how the ball hit Butland and could have easily gone into the back of the net – but it didn’t.

It also shows a great save from Rob Elliot but doesn’t show the Jack Butland saves that literally saved Stoke – we’ll update this when we get a longer and more complete video.

cheick tiote challnges bojan krkic

Cheick Tiote challenges Bojan Krkic

Here are the video highlights – click to start at the bottom left.

• cyprus

Oct 31, 2015 at 7:54 PM

Man what a pleasure it is again watching my team play. We owned Stoke, were unlucky to draw. All the lines were working perfectly and we attacked in waves. Not conceding was a bonus and we had chances – plenty of them

• Jib

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:04 PM

I like Steve Taylor’s comment comparing Wijnaldum for us , to Lampard in his pomp for Chelsea .

• Lindisfarne

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:09 PM

Newcastle United P11 W1 D4 L6 GD-10 PTS 7

Evolution or Repetition?

• Jib

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:11 PM

Definitely evolution

• will die for the toon army

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:12 PM

We are playing well which is good but we r lacking the finishing touch. We lacked it at Chelsea, Man City, Makems and Stoke.

If we don’t put away our chances we will lose points. I thought we had turned it around at Norwich but I think Norwich jst had a poor keeper. We have failed with good ones.

Mcca has to work on our finishing. We r playing football which is brilliant. Reminds of Leicester last season.

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:13 PM

I never seen or listened to the match today but from what I’ve read did Ed leave some highlights out ?

• will die for the toon army

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:15 PM

Jib there r hope for Evolution. But Mcca has a big job on his hands. Has the best attack in EPL but not finishing. Look at the recent starts starting from Chelsea game. Always creating chances but not finishing.

• Pendza

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:21 PM

Hi guys, lurker here with not many posts to boot. Impressed with today and feeling positive! Looking for a couple of tickets to Bournemouth next week! Take the little lad in the away end as we’ve only experienced the toon from away grounds in the home end! I’m also aiming for Sunderland at home in March! What do you reckon the possibility of a tickets are for that? Cheers, Matt

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:26 PM

Pendza,
    You will definitely have to be a member to get tickets for the mackem game viagogo works out very expensive

• Harley

Oct 31, 2015 at 8:42 PM

The difference of opinion on this game is startling.

I saw a team in black and white dominate from the start, look organised, be full of energy and create multiple chances.

It was great goalkeeping how we didn’t win that game. All the signs are there that we are massively improving.

Its all starting to come together. A few new signings in jan and we’ll be flying.

Everyone played well today.

• Bobbybee

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:05 PM

Not long back from the match. All we’re missing is goals and we found butland in the form of his life. I believe he got motm but that should be a minimum of 9/10. Joe hart needs to watch his back. Quality keeping in a game we bossed from start to finish, but we must find goals from somewhere.

Right, regards last night, I come to you today a little sheepish and a bit ashamed of my behaviour. Due to my current medical plight i have been prescribed a new mix of painkillers, anti inflamatories, muscle relaxants and anti depressants, along with other various pills. This morning, just before leaving for the match, my doctor rang to warn me that in the early stages, this mixture could cause me violent mood swings and aggression until my body gets used to them. Having reread some of what I wrote, I clearly over reacted despite the provocation and although I wasn’t the only prat, I certainly didn’t help the situation. I am deeply ashamed of how I reacted, whether provoked or otherwise. What a bizarre reaction to certain drugs meant to help. Consequently I would like to apologise to not just those i vented on, but to entire blog for having to listen to me lose what few marbles remain in my noggin. That was not the normal me and now I understand why. If you choose to accept this humble apology, I thank you. If not, I understand also. It was a strange reaction and I hope its affects are not too long in sorting themselves out. That is a side of me I prefer to keep under control, but what can I say but sorry to each and every one of you. I hope that is enough.

• Lindisfarne

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:06 PM

I don’t understand how can be playing better than the opposition but not score more goals than them. Surely that is a failure in terms of each individual match?

I don’t understand how we can be playing better than in previous seasons when the results are the same, in the most part the players are the same and the style of play has no real opportunity to change.

New horse? The priority should be reconditioning the cart and at least fastening in a horse that has more of a recognised pedigree. I may be overly frustrated but I do understand what the table says.

• mindshaft

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:09 PM

played decent football today and bossed Stoke , Dummett and Janmaat worry me defensively though , think we need a clinical finisher , mitrovic and Perez were great today but the finishing just isn’t there

• Jail for Ashley

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:11 PM

Bobby bee,
    Fair play to you for that post !

• firebug666

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:18 PM

Bobbybee

Fair comment marra, It takes a lot of courage to acknowledge our own faults and apologise for them.

Well done!

Pleased you enjoyed the match. For the first time (as an armchair fan) I was on the edge of my seat watching out attacks. We played some very good football.

• Bobbybee

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:23 PM

Lindisfarne, it is clearly frustrating that we can dominate and not score, but once again today it happened. The difference today was simply their keeper, who put on one of the better away displays I can remember. Awesome in fact. The positive is we are creating these chances and sooner or later they will go in – the sooner the better of course. Another two from Arma today – one a wonder goal – offers temptation to bring him home, although I would sooner he continued his education at Coventry. Mitrovic will be a great striker later in his career, but maybe not quite yet. The effort and skill level cannot be faulted, it’s just goals we’re short of. Great to watch, but all the same frustrating, but .i still believe playing like that, we will be safe. January requires another striker and perez needs to use his silky skills elsewhere on the pitch. Enjoyed the game, not the score however.

• Bobbybee

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:33 PM

Jail and firebug, thank you for being gracious, i was a proper plonka last night – although maybe not alone 😉 Now i understand the effects, when i feel the devil rising to the surface, I’ll take a break. They should be marked “psycho pills”! 😉

• Munster Mag

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:36 PM

Bobby, for what its worth, I didnt find your comments that bad, but maybe I didnt read them all. In fairness I had had a few glasses of vino, and i dont mean 3. You feel very strongly about your NUFC heritage and your right to hold a season ticket come what may. I respect that, and have stood on the same terraces as you and ran the same gauntlets, believe me. I think the clubs administration and football side is improving, from a low standpoint. It sounds as though Mark Hughes had little to be frustrated about – but thats typical of him, always moaning. Never liked him. Happy Halloween to all, from a very spooky Ireland.

• martoon

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:39 PM

Bobbybee – I was there too – I thought we played well without any goals to show for it. Did you think Stoke should have had a player sent off – their CBs gave Mitrovic some treatment!

• welshgeordie9

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:42 PM

Was hoping for 3 points today to cheer me up.

• firebug666

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:44 PM

We may have a makeshift team again for Bournemouth next week, Elliot is out, and Janmaat may miss the game too, he will be assessed in the next couple of days.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:50 PM

Why is it every season when it comes to injuries, Newcastle and arsenal are always on top of the list.

• welshgeordie9

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:51 PM

How did de Jong play today, on Twitter fans are going mad he didn’t play well.

• firebug666

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:56 PM

Welshie

I think de Jong still needs time, he need to get his fitness up, and get up to speed in the game.

He didn’t do a lot in the 20 minutes he got, and he seem a little lethargic to me.

This is just my opinion like, but he is not ready yet, he need to fit in with the team and formation, but he didn’t seem to get there today.

I hope he can come good, but for me the jury is still out.

• Bobbybee

Oct 31, 2015 at 9:58 PM

Munster, you’re bang on about my heritage and right to hold a ST, but with hindsight, I maybe overdid the response to the provocation and that only spoils the blog for others – and that is not my intention. I stand 100% behind my beliefs still, but maybe i could have chosen a slightly better way of expressing them. I didn’t intend to offend anybody, but i clearly did. Maybe we can all learn from this and think before making offensive comments, deserved or otherwise. Belittling loyal support can be very provacative – especially on those pills! 😉 Ayyway, least said, sooner mended.
    Cracking game today mate, some of our football was a real delight today and Stoke must be grateful for getting a point from the match. Refs have deffo got an agenda against us though, some shocking decisions again. We play against twelve men almost every game lately and today was no different.

• Munster Mag

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:02 PM

Looking forward to seeing it but with the usual frustration. We certainly need signings…an injury to Nitro alone, and we are in serious trouble,

• firebug666

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:04 PM

Bobbybee

What really gets up my nose is how we are always denied a penalty, Watching on TV the replays clearly show the Stoke player deflect the ball with his arm, yet the commentators and pundits say; “no that’s not a penalty” when clearly it is.

Will we ever get awarded a penalty in our favour?

• Munster Mag

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:05 PM

I dont expect De Jong to make the grade as I dont think he is the same indisvual physically as he was when he was doing well in Europe. I dont think we should have to wait till post Christmas to see real fitness from a footballer who is an athlete in the first place. Sadly, we need signings all obver the pitch because we only have about 5-6 players , at a push, of any real ability.

• Bobbybee

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:05 PM

Martoon, no question they deserved more cards than they got. The one late on, when de jong breezed past the full back – already on a yellow – was a nailed on yellow and would’ve been a red, yet the ref bottled it. He went past him and was pulled back, worse than Janmaat’s aT Swansea. Agenda? I’m starting to believe it now.

• lesh

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:12 PM

Bobbybee

Not long back from the match?

Assuming you’re not living on Tyneside, where, roughly, are you based?

• martoon

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Bobbybee @29 – I don’t believe referees are deliberately making decisions against us – I just think we’ve been unlucky. If we start to believe this then we begin to sound like Mourinho and you know how mad he sounds when he claims these things. If we ever do get a penalty then I’ve no idea who our penalty taker is if Cisse isn’t playing?

• Bobbybee

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:15 PM

Firebug, in all honesty, I don’t even know who our pen taker is, because it’s been so long since we had one. Shola was, but that’s a while ago innit? I don’t know if anybody remembers our last one? We’ll probably miss it anyway coz nobody will remember how to take them!

• manxpie

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:18 PM

well bobby your heartfelt apology offended me and i’m sure many on this blog 🙂

• jimmysmith

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:19 PM

We are playing a higher class of football, but I imagine doing that well enough even to achieve the modest goals of eighth and going deeper in the Cups, is going to require a whole lot of money, especially at Newcastle, where players labour under the extra burden of the crowds’ angst, and so need to be better again.

I wonder if Mike is starting to recognise this now, and how it might be affecting his resolve. Actually, it will probably strengthen it, given his nature, although that won’t necessarily make it more achievable, quite possibly more elusive, knowing how much he clings to the ideal of self sufficiency.

Newcastle, never boring, although ironically at this stage, of better play but precious too few points, is actually quite dull.

• firebug666

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:19 PM

Bobbybee

Not sure about our last one but I think Cisse was the taker. It will be either Mitrovic or Wijnaldum now I would think….If we ever get one that is.

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:21 PM

Bobbybee
    Be careful with those strong painkillers. Once you get on them for a little while they can wreck your life. They can be worse than the original problem. Believe me. From the bits I read, I didn’t think you neded to apologise. Perhaps the drugs are making you think so?

I thought the atmosphere was quite flat and the team looked the same at times. Losds of empty seats. Ashley destroyrd the atmosphere with his gerrymandering.

Gini didn’t look his usual inspirational self but did some great defensive work.

We look set to continue to struggle without a natural goalscorer and with Colo at the back; fortunately, he came under little pressure today from a poor Stoke side.

• Bobbybee

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:24 PM

Not long included my time trying to get comfortable before picking up my tablet. I live near Ashington and was home before six, so there was a bit of poetic licence there. I did watch shola play for bolton first as well, so i can’t say i paid much attention to the time, as clealy i’d been back quite some time. 😉

• manxpie

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:26 PM

imagine having cabeye in cm at the mo he is the type of player we need to link the attack plus he puts the work in
    i no ex players don’t usually work but he defo would’ve

• Blackley and Brownlie

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:31 PM

RikiTikiTavi
    “To be honest, it makes me angry, really really angry that people find negatives from game where there wasn’t one!”

This was a great opportunity to get three vital points and go some way to making up for last week. We wasted chances. You don’t get awarded points for playing the better football. This is happening game after game. Of course, there were positives but there were still the same old negatives. You’re deluded if you think there weren’t any.

• Harley

Oct 31, 2015 at 10:32 PM

Manxpie

Cabaye would transform this team, totally agree. He would be the heartbeat that brings the best out out in all of the players around him.