The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

This Stat Should Shock Newcastle Fans

9:23 am, Sunday, November 1st, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

We have played well in the last three games and have picked up 4 points from those games, but we could have won all three – given a bit of luck and experienced refereeing.

But we didn´t – and instead we are still in the bottom three and we really need wins rather than draws if we are going to get out of trouble anytime soon.

newcastle_united_1897-1898_ah

The strips Newcastle United wore back in 1898

And in the 11 games we have played we have only 7 points and that´s the worst start in Newcastle’s long 123 year history and we have to go back to the 1898-1899 season when Newcastle had just 7 points from the first 11 games.

Back then we had picked up four draws in our first 10 games but then we won our first game on 5th November 1898 with a 3-0 home win over Liverpool and we had 7 points from 11 games.

Here are the comparisons of the two worst starts to the league in Newcastle´s long history.

DatePlayed WonLostDrewGFGAGDPoints
1898-1899111641218-67
2015-12016111641222-107

Our goal difference is worse this year than in 1898.

For the record in our next four games in 1898 we won two and lost two and still avoided relegation – even though we were in the bottom two of the 18 team league until March of 1899.

Let´s hope we are not in the bottom three this season through March.

🙁

Just the facts ma’am.

Tags: History · Newcastle News · Premier League

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 Tsunki // Nov 1, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Ashley Out!

• 2 Rotonda heights // Nov 1, 2015 at 9:38 AM

I thought NUFC were excellent yesterday but could have played to midnight and it just wouldn’t go in for us between a post and an inspired keeper.

I guess Haidara and M’Babu are still injured because I just can never see Doo-met, as the commentator kept calling him, as a LB.

• 3 Rotonda heights // Nov 1, 2015 at 9:39 AM

CPalace only 1 goal from open play in 7 games. Hmmm…

• 4 Tsunki // Nov 1, 2015 at 9:39 AM

Don’t forget Ed that our sorry form virtually all started with the infamous panto villain Johnny ” best coach in the prem” Carver and his bumbling clod sidekicks. 🙂

I think we are probably due a win and a decent one. Unlike Pardew and his perennial stodgy tactics I think SM is genuinely trying to enforce a new ethos and it is a painful operation, I accept that. I’ve dismissed the ” judge me on ten games” thing that’s just a bit of breathing space to get everyone to back off. But I’m hoping Ashley and Charnley don’t chuck him under the bus like his predecessors, I have a sneaky feeling they will still deliver short. But if we get some decent bodies in the Jan window, coupled with our ship slowly turning, we could see a last half surge. SM still awaits the result of whether he will be the next clown booted down Barrack Road, or the Conquering Hero. I hope he makes it, I have a grudging respect for what he’s trying to do, he seems genuine enough, and that’s a start for me

• 5 Tsunki // Nov 1, 2015 at 9:41 AM

I’m no fan of Dummett, he’s a bit too basement work horse for me, but I applaud his dedication and commitment yesterday. Couple of outstanding tackles yesterday actually.

• 6 Tsunki // Nov 1, 2015 at 9:42 AM

Rotunda how very dare you! Don’t you know Pardew has been released from his shackles and is now becoming the free spirited success we all knew he could be? You sounds like one of those PardewOut Clowns / Crew………..

😀

• 7 Tsunki // Nov 1, 2015 at 9:44 AM

” He’s got the ball off him, Dummett!” 🙂

• 8 Tsunki // Nov 1, 2015 at 9:46 AM

A sickened for Mbabu being injured now. A great time to step into the team and claim a spot. He could have given SM a lot to think over if colo had got banned as well.

• 9 Tsunki // Nov 1, 2015 at 9:49 AM

Final thought for this morning – if we don’t absolutely bounce Bournemouth and send them back into the sea where they came from, I’ll be not just surprised but incredibly disappointed. In lots of things.

• 10 BandB // Nov 1, 2015 at 9:50 AM

I thought we were good yesterday,
    In Wijnaldum, Mbemba and Mitrovic we have three players we can warm too. No hint of anything but willingness about them.
    We need three more like them so the new blood can drag the team up, before the old blood can drag them down.
    I wish I could believe we will attempt to build a team around them. Or even state such an intention…but we won’t.

On a separate point, it is astounding to read the Wolves fans applauding Williamson’s vocal leadership style yesterday. I wonder how much the silence and lack of leadership among our own players is the result of something systemic within the club…..a “keep your gob shut and your head down” mentality that spreads to the pitch.

• 11 Munster Mag // Nov 1, 2015 at 9:55 AM

Tsunki i only saw the stats from the palace game. Looked like it was all palace in fairness. If P gets them top half that will be good for a club more associated with the league below. He still wont get any acknowledgment from the hard core haters here though! They are a decent side and of course they were due to be relegated once he went there, so the football experts here told us. I wudnt want him back but credit where its due. Smc needs players or it will all fold with 2-3 injuries, even 2 could torpedo us.

• 12 Munster Mag // Nov 1, 2015 at 9:57 AM

Good post b and b

• 13 lesh // Nov 1, 2015 at 10:10 AM

Didn’t we see this post of Ed’s a week or two ago?

😐

• 14 nut meg // Nov 1, 2015 at 10:18 AM

scout
    Vardy will turn 29 in January.No chance of him going to Barca.

• 15 mainemagpie // Nov 1, 2015 at 5:32 PM

This stat is incorrect by a long margin, you only have to go back to 1999/2000 when after 11 games Newcastle were in 19th spot with 7 points, with 2 wins, 1 draw and 8 losses and a goal difference of -6

….of those 8 losses one was against Sunderland at SJP. The first win was 8-0 against Sheff Wed (who were relegated that season) and the draw was against Wimbledon, also relegated that season. Other losses were against A. Villa, Man U, Chelsea, Southampton, Spurs, Leeds and Coventry. 27 goals scored against in 11 matches.

Three of those losses Newcastle had a man sent of….Alan Shearer 1st match of the season, lost 1-0 v Villa, Dabizas v Man Utd. when score was 1-1, we lost 5-1, and Warren Barton v Coventry, lost 4-1…..

After 38 matches Newcastle finished in 11th spot on 52 points with W14 L14 and D10 and a goal diff of +9. Go figure!

previous post: With Newcastle It´s Always Something