The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star Hopeful Of Making A Difference

8:27 am, Monday, November 2nd, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 10 Comments

Siem de Jong got a rare run out for the first team on Saturday against Stoke as he came on for the last 20 minutes of a game we should have won.

Newcastle created maybe six excellent chances to score, mostly in the second half, but we couldn´t score the one goal that was needed to get all 3 points and we had to settle for a draw.

But that´s the sixth league game out of eleven that we haven’t scored in and in ten of those games we have scored only six goals – if you take out the one game when we hammered Norwich 6-2.

Siem De Jong +York+City+v+Newcastle+United+9b8hZflU_tZl

Siem de Jong – 8 appearances this season and one goal

Our inability to score goals and some poor defending at times have cost us many points so far this season,  but on the positive side the defense looked good on Saturday – but we are still 3rd bottom of the league with just 7 points from 11 games.

We are also creating the chances – just not converting them.

Siem de Jong has not had a good start to his Newcastle career and after his first season last term was ravaged by various injuries and sickness he cannot make the starting eleven this season – which is surprising to us.

Siem says he wants to play for the U21 side to get more match fit and he could be in action tonight.

This is what he has said in the Chronicle today:

“I got a few minutes against Stoke.” “Hopefully I can continue with this.” “I hope to play on Monday.” “I want to get some rhythm because I haven’t played for a while.”

“I want to keep my fitness up.” “So I want to play.” “We will see what happens.” “But I am ready to play in the U-21s.”

“We had the chances but there were some great saves from the keeper.” “We should have scored.” “But we played a good game, unfortunately we just couldn’t get the goal.” “That’s frustrating.”

“We were also unlucky when Aleksandar Mitrovic hit the post.” “Sometimes it falls on the inside of the post and goes in.” “But it went straight back to the keeper.”

“Luckily they got the break.” “We know we now need to start scoring soon.”

Newcastle U21s play Aston Villa at St. James Park tonight with a 7:00 pm kick-off and we will probably see Siem start the game.

The Dutchman can score goals so hopefully he can get more playing time for the first team soon and slot in a goal or two for us.

We have to beat Bournemouth on Saturday in the early kick-off game, but nothing seem to be easy for Newcastle these days.

Who Was Newcastle's Best Player Against Stoke?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Premier League · Siem de Jong

10 responses so far ↓

• 1 hibbitt // Nov 2, 2015 at 8:38 AM

not sure people who voted for Perez motm watched the game??????

• 2 expatmag // Nov 2, 2015 at 8:39 AM

I have been called many things in my life but never irrational

• 3 Ibizatoon // Nov 2, 2015 at 8:40 AM

hibbitt…I voted Perez and watched the game…so be sure 🙂

Thought he looked the brightest out there. Pulled off some beautiful bits of football, although appreciate he wasn’t ultimately ineffective.

Who did you go for?

• 4 Ibizatoon // Nov 2, 2015 at 8:42 AM

Jeez…That’ll teach me for trying to correct my writing without reading it all.

Let’s try again.

Although I appreciate he wasn’t ultimately effective….or although I appreciate he was ultimately ineffective.

Excellent. I do know how to write.

• 5 TikiTakaAcca // Nov 2, 2015 at 8:42 AM

You’re clearly blind.

Perez was our best player by a mile, and he is most weeks.
    As the commentator said ‘Perez is ALWAYS in space no matter how congested a game is’.

He also created the most chances in the PL this weekend.

So maybe take more notice next time.

• 6 Toonfan8 // Nov 2, 2015 at 8:43 AM

I voted for Perez, he was best player by far, most comfortable on the ball and he always bring something in place what surprise opponents…I think we need to solve CM position and one CB and we will be fine

• 7 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 2, 2015 at 8:45 AM

The rumours about Siem not being fit to play before January doesn’t seem to hold up!

…but what the hold up is I am not sure! We all know what he did at Ajax (a far better team than Newcastle). My guess is it’s difficult to accommodate these continental flair players in a rigid English system, which we seem to be a product of.

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 2, 2015 at 8:45 AM

Perez created more shooting opportunities then any other Prme player on Saturday, with nobody taking him, then I’d say it was a fair assessment to give him MotM, although I didn’t watch so a lot of good play may not have been mentioned.

Nice to see Gillesphey get on the score sheet at Carlisle, and Gilliead getting a couple of assists from the set pieces. Top that off with Willo MotM and an Arma brace an it was a decent weekend for our loanees.

• 9 toon kk // Nov 2, 2015 at 8:49 AM

For all our shots on target expecially against Sunderland, it just proves we badly lack cutting edge, we have managed to improve on last season by getting shots on target but some were like half hearted pass backs making keepers practice keeping possible.

• 10 hibbitt // Nov 2, 2015 at 8:49 AM

ibizatoon……wijnaldum was my choice ….perez faded and disappeared in the second half

previous post: McClaren – It´s A Bad Situation We Are In