The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Steve McClaren’s Rare Praise For Newcastle Defender

9:25 am, Wednesday, November 4th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 53 Comments

Jamaal Lascelles was almost the hero on Saturday when he came on for the injured Daryl Janmaat and after 85 minutes he powered a tremendous header that had “goal” written all over it – but then Jack Butland made another terrific save – probably the best of the match to deny Newcastle at the end.

Jamaal Lascelles +Newcastle+United+v+Northampton+Om1LbhLcD12l

Jamaal Lascelles in action for Newcastle

That would have ben a great end to the game and would have given us the much needed 3 points but it wasn’t to be – maybe we can win at Bournemouth in the early kick-off game at Bournemouth – if we don;t it’s going toi be worrying.

And after the game on Saturday Steve McClaren gave out some praise for the former Nottingham Forest defender who we have to keep remembering he doesn’t turn 22 until next Wednesday and the 6’2″ tall player certainly the lad has a great attitude.

McClaren said this about the England U21 International:

“He has progressed and done really well.” “From where he is now from the first day of pre-season he has done very well.”

We signed Lascelles along with Karl Darlow in the summer of last year but allowed them to play for Forest last season on loan in the Championship.

Neither have made much od an impact so far at the club with Lascelles playing 5 times for the first team and Karl – who is unfortunately out injured with a foot injury at the moment – having played once.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Bournemouth?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Jamaal Lascelles · Karl Darlow · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League

53 responses so far ↓

• 1 will die for the toon army // Nov 4, 2015 at 9:27 AM

…………………. Krul
    Janmatt … . Mbemba… .Colo ……Dummett
    ……… . .Sissoko …………………… . . Wijnaldum
    ………………………… . Perez
    …………. Armstrong …………. Mitrovic

Give it a try.

• 2 cyprus // Nov 4, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Agree with the last post previous thread. re panicking. He said he’ll panic next year if we are still in the R area.

I had insisted on judging this SM, after 10 games, as he had said himself. Well, my evaluation has steadily climbed. I hated the Swansea (yes) humiliation and the desperate defending of ManU. I was confused at ManCity (dominating them, scoring TWO – not one- good goals in the first half, then collapsing), but I loved our Norwich, Sunderland and Stoke displays. Good football I had not seen for years.

So, Steve my man, for now, good work, keep it up. And pick up some points man, they tend to help.

That is aggressive. I like it, but I’d include Anita in that slot as an option, he has been very good this year and in the last game of last season. I’d use two of those DM people against stronger games.

• 3 cyprus // Nov 4, 2015 at 9:31 AM

Sorry, not Sing. ‘Will die’

• 4 hibbitt // Nov 4, 2015 at 9:37 AM

will die…………….colback is out for 6/8 weeks ana arma is a coventry play at the moment .

• 5 Jib // Nov 4, 2015 at 9:43 AM

I have to say last Saturday I saw one of the most absorbing scoreless draws for a long time.
    I hope McClaren doesn’t go overly cautious against Bournemouth , at the moment they are there for the taking.

• 6 hibbitt // Nov 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM

will die ………………one other thing krul is out for the season …..stick to football manager

• 7 cyprus // Nov 4, 2015 at 9:45 AM

Like the way you phrased that last game.

• 8 hibbitt // Nov 4, 2015 at 9:48 AM

jib…… you must have only watched the first half against southamton

• 9 Jib // Nov 4, 2015 at 9:51 AM

Vestergaard is on the move , however it may not be to us !

• 10 Jib // Nov 4, 2015 at 9:59 AM

I thought Soton was 2 – 2 not scoreless

• 11 Jib // Nov 4, 2015 at 10:00 AM

This site lists 3 players Milan are after , and one of them is Joel Matip.
    Le ultime notizie parlano di un interesse del Milan per un giocatore tedesco naturalizzato camerunese, Joel Matip, (classe 1991) difensore centrale e …

• 12 Jib // Nov 4, 2015 at 10:01 AM

• 13 hibbitt // Nov 4, 2015 at 10:02 AM

jib………….Bournmouth v Southamton

• 14 Jib // Nov 4, 2015 at 10:13 AM

Soz Hibbitt

• 15 Jib // Nov 4, 2015 at 10:25 AM

However I was referring to Victor Wanyama serving a one match ban.

• 16 Jail for Ashley // Nov 4, 2015 at 10:27 AM

Jib pointed out the comments section to you because he didn’t have to think about it, like 90% of his posts it was copied and pasted with an added dig at someone.

• 17 catchy in norway // Nov 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Time to panic is in Jan, if we continue to play like we are , the law of averages says we will win more than we lose, all we need is a run of games where we win and there will be a whole new completion on where we will finish.

Top 10

• 18 Jib // Nov 4, 2015 at 10:36 AM

Jail’s on
    Oh dear
    There’s the footy chat out the window.

• 19 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 4, 2015 at 10:46 AM

Don’t worry about Jib’s patronising comments. He is a staunch defender of, and loyal spokesperson for, the Newcastle United Board. It seems he has appointed himself to a similar position in relation to Ed’s blog.

• 20 Blackley and Brownlie // Nov 4, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Chris Powell sacked at Huddersfield Town.

• 21 Slank // Nov 4, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Like a few on here, I too have been encouraged by recent displays. It’s clear that the coaching is making a positive impact.

Granted, the points and the goals haven’t come (other than against Norwich) but it’s not from a lack of attempts on goals. The team is creating chances and these will be converted into goals I’m certain.

McClaren has a settled formation of 4-4-2 that is only going to get better. I have even been impressed with Sissoko. He seems to have rediscovered that powerful driving forward play that we all thought he had lost.

I’m confident that we will be leaving the relegation zone to Villa and Sunderland, who already look doomed, fairly soon.

• 22 catchy in norway // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:01 AM

And that’s the big thing, both Villa N the scum have masses of work todo and both Bournemouth and Norwich are in a bad way also , we will pull away from all of these very soon. Both villa and scum just don’t have the squads to get through this season ,

Top ten Finnish

• 23 AncientC // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:09 AM

Bournemouth carved Liverpool up (at Anfield) in their cup game, with Liverpool only being saved by Bogdan. Meanwhile we are going into the same fixture without a senior goalkeeper.

I am a lot more worried about Bournemouth than I was Stoke.

• 24 Transfer Sage // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:12 AM

Following from last night, didn’t get chance to reply.

In regards to now not having goal scorers like Ba and Remy is a big problem for me. It means you need to play well every week to have a chance to win…with a guy who can get goals from nowhere and half chances like Ba, you can get by with a few bad weeks and still pick up points.

Hopefully Mitrovic becomes that guy. I think perez will improve to a totally new level when he gets a bit more power and conviction. He needs to hit his shots harder and drive a little harder with his runs….he’ll be top top level then I think. It should come with time and experience.

• 25 John Tudor // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:15 AM

exactamundo ancientc

• 26 John Tudor // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:16 AM

time is what we do not have

any players to come in have to be expirience pl grafters

• 27 Slank // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:17 AM

I agree with you about the Virus Carriers, Villa, Bournemouth and Norwich.

Sunderland and Villa have new managers who will take time to turn them around (if possible) at a time when they don’t have the luxury of time.

Bournemouth and Norwich look short of quantity and quality players that will have a negative impact as the season progresses if past history of newly promoted clubs is anything to go by.

• 28 John Tudor // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:19 AM

• 29 hibbitt // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:23 AM

are we at the stage of depending on others ?????

• 30 John Tudor // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:27 AM

hibbit we have and always will be with this shower in charge

• 31 bladeuser // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:46 AM

Let’s see what u SMAC supporters r spouting after we get turned over by Bournemouth
    This muppet will take nufc down

• 32 John Tudor // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:48 AM

• 33 geordie157 // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:58 AM

With all the injuries, it’s forgotten man marveaux not even good enough to make the bench? He’s made of glass but be can see a pass…..surely suits McLarens way of playing too

• 34 geordie157 // Nov 4, 2015 at 11:59 AM

Is not it’s.

• 35 Munster Mag // Nov 4, 2015 at 12:05 PM

Catchy i want us to give smc more time but the law of averages argument doesnt stack. We are nearly through a run of games now and got one point off stoke? Sunderland was supposed to be 1 or 3 points and stoke was a must win. A loss at Bournemouth and all bets are off re smc. I saw a daft article on web this morning and thought of you…they reckoned smc should be replaced by….bruce/pearce (!!) / moyes or some other brit. Thought u wud like that me old trooper 🙂

• 36 Jib // Nov 4, 2015 at 12:07 PM

Have you thought of writing poetry ?
    “Sylvain Marveaux is made of glass
    But oh lordy can he see a pass”

• 37 Munster Mag // Nov 4, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Catchy, the other was mark hughes, bless 🙂

• 38 Munster Mag // Nov 4, 2015 at 12:15 PM

Looking at is dispassionately…. Hard to appreciate. But will sam save the mackems. I think he will as i said from the start but what a joy if sam and the maks go down in one fell hit. Party time for sure. Any predictions please guys….put ur cyber money where ur mouth is…

• 39 Munster Mag // Nov 4, 2015 at 12:17 PM

Garde wont keep villa up. Daft but brave appointment. So can i have predictions re sunlan please…

• 40 catchy in norway // Nov 4, 2015 at 12:22 PM

I believe it was Ibiza who pointed out to me that all managers have a place in the game , but those you mentioned in the 2 posts are really not good enough , and I would of course give them a chance but they would also prove not good enough IMO.

These guys are killers of the game not winners , managers like Shteve , martine at least try to won things

• 41 Jib // Nov 4, 2015 at 12:24 PM

When we beat Bournemouth on Saturday lunch time we are out of the relegation zone never to return.

• 42 Munster Mag // Nov 4, 2015 at 12:29 PM

Catchy i think everton guy is overrated big time. Weak defensively and passes the ball for the sake of it

• 43 Jib // Nov 4, 2015 at 12:34 PM

Well Julian Speroni ain’t coming

• 44 catchy in norway // Nov 4, 2015 at 12:46 PM

He has a trophy, and has everton playing great football, and at the end of the day he entertains the crowd

• 45 Lindisfarne // Nov 4, 2015 at 12:57 PM

IMO Freddy ” Reach for the skies” Woodman should be in the starting line up for Bournemouth, because “Your my favourite Deputy”.

I don’t know who is best suited to the role of Buz Lightyear but perhaps “This isn’t flying, but falling with style!” currently pertains to Captain Collo the most at the moment.

• 46 martoon // Nov 4, 2015 at 1:34 PM

Catchy – I agree with you that the way we are playing we’ll get out the relegation zone but I’m not so sure about top 10 given our start. I would think somewhere around 10, 11, 12 is probably more realistic.

• 47 martoon // Nov 4, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Well was it the mention of Catchy or finishing out of the relegation zone that killed the blog? 🙂

• 48 Jib // Nov 4, 2015 at 2:35 PM

For me it’s a rather good movie on Sky Action called the Equaliser with Denzel Washington

• 49 Mag52 // Nov 4, 2015 at 2:43 PM

There’s a huge amount of optimism on the blog at the moment, which can’t be all bad. Predictions of top ten, top twelve etc., let’s hope it doesn’t all go pear shaped on the south coast on Saturday.
    We may look at Bournemouth as going through a bit of a bad spell, and see three points in the bag, but Bournemouth supporters will look at our recent record and rub their hands in anticipation of a win to put them back on track.
    They came back strongly in the second half at Southampton last weekend after being outplayed in the first, and, at their own ground, will take a lot of beating.
    For me a draw will be a good result.

• 50 John Tudor // Nov 4, 2015 at 2:47 PM

for me a more calamitous result

• 51 Tsunki // Nov 4, 2015 at 2:51 PM

If we don’t get a win at Bournemouth I think that pretty much caps things off at least until the end of January. By then of course we will be so far adrift we will have to finish the season beating everyone to stay afloat. If we are at the bottom and can’t beat those sharing our space I think we are pretty much done, lovely football or no.

• 52 martoon // Nov 4, 2015 at 3:05 PM

Jib – presumably that’s a modern film version of the original TV series with Edward Woodward? Anyway I’m pleased it’s nothing personal 🙂

• 53 remember69 // Nov 4, 2015 at 5:34 PM

Cyprus @ 2,
    Well said. I think most of us would rather support an team full of endevour and creativity over one that plays solely to grind out a result.
    There are too many on the blog that are way too fast to voice their frustration, it’s refreshing to find someone who can see past the wall of negativity.

previous post: There’s A Chance Newcastle Will Recall Adam Armstrong