The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

This Is The Result Newcastle Fans Expect At Bournemouth

9:03 am, Friday, November 6th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 114 Comments

It´s certainly a crucial game at Bournemouth for us tomorrow ans we just hope after the game we are not talking about the poor game the referee had or the fantastic play of the opposing goalkeeper which is what has happened in our last two games at Sunderland and at home to Stoke.

Even though we played some of our best football of the season we ended up with just one point out of those two games which is one reason we are still third bottom of the league table.

eddie howe

Bournemouth manager Eddie Howe

We have to play at or near our best tomorrow on the south coast and get all three points and that will take us out of the bottom three.

There should be no excuses after the game if we fail to do that.

Almost seven in ten Newcastle fans expect a win tomorrow – so anything else will be another huge disappointment.

How Will Newcastle Fare At Bournemouth?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Match Preview · Newcastle News · Poll · Prediction · Premier League

114 responses so far ↓

• 1 cyprus // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:05 AM

I see. I get this shouting thing (‘Keeper’, ‘out’) as tactical things, not sure it’s necessary to have shouters all over the pitch. Leadership doesn’t necessarily entail that.

I’d like to see more pre post game huddles, people encouraging one another, covering for one another, leading by example, a team spirit, people enjoying their work.

I do think that the leader ain’t there yet.

• 2 Bambams // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:06 AM

This will not be an easy game. Our away form down south is not good, but we need at least 10 wins to stay up

• 3 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:09 AM

You don’t need them all over the pitch, although each player should be vocal enough to give team mates information throughout the game. IN terms of the very vocal players at least one is required to help maintain a teams shape, structure and to lift players when heads are down. A vocal centre half would be my first signing as I think with more direction from a leader in the back line our fullbacks and central midfielders would hold better positions and shape.

It can also increase concentration levels – a great example at NUFC is when Woodgate played with Bramble. Bramble was ten times the player because he had all the physical attributes, but would mentally switch off. Woodgate constantly talking to him and helping him through saw Bramble play the best football of his career. Shame Woody played so infrequently.

• 4 cyprus // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:11 AM

If (IF) we play like our last 3 games we should blow them away.

• 5 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Ibiza…we can if you like make it a topic for everyone to chip in. Would maybe give a clearer picturer of where “people” are placed in discuss discussion 😉

I find it impossible to get on your side I have to admit.

And I am not saying what your where implying…Lilongwe got it the second time 😉

• 6 Jail for Ashley // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:12 AM

P45 has gone, get over it, and btw it was under Carvers disastrous watch that Santon was sent packing, not that he had any say in the matter what so ever mind.

• 7 banjax // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:17 AM

I expect nothing less than a win at Bournemouth on Saturday, no excuses from Steve McLaren and if we don’t then I would expect him to lose his job. Talking a good game is not good enough with promises of jam tomorrow coming from all quarters at Newcastle. Despite all the upbeat rhetoric our results are still what they are : absolute crap!!

• 8 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:18 AM

I got it first time, I just don’t think that anyone was even close to implying that was what we thought should happen.

• 9 cyprus // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:19 AM

Lilo, you said Bramble and best football in the same sentence!!

No, I get you mate 🙂

• 10 The overrated Frenchman // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:24 AM

A loss at Bournemouth might well bring the curtain down on the McClaren tenure I reckon. One point from these last three games could well be the final straw. Not that it matters of course. With Charnley and Carr left in place to make the big decisions we are doomed anyway. His replacement will be as unimaginative and uninspiring and ineffective as Steve himself was. I suppose when we are relegated Ashley will just shrug his shoulders and get his minions to do the sums to limit the financial damage. Howay the lads. Remember when we won the Fairs Cup?

• 11 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:26 AM

I say ‘best football of his career’, everything is relative… 😉

• 12 jimmysmith // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:26 AM

From “The Guardian”, and about right I think.

“Newcastle United remain in a state of anxiety, still stuck in 18th after winning only one of their first 11 games, but there are reasons for encouragement. They were denied their second win by the heroics of Stoke City’s goalkeeper, Jack Butland, last weekend, while the defeat against Sunderland hinged on a controversial refereeing decision. Although Newcastle need to show that they can react to adversity better, the majority of their performances have not been terrible and they could be a force if they gel under Steve McClaren. Aleksandar Mitrovic, for instance, will develop into a potent striker as long as he retains his focus away from the pitch and curbs his aggression on it. With Bournemouth in a rut, Newcastle will expect to win at the Vitality Stadium. Eddie Howe’s strugglers will replace Newcastle in the bottom three if they lose.” JS

They will take our place in the bottom three should we win.

• 13 martoon // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:27 AM

cyprus @1 – I have to say I’m not a fan of the pre-match huddle I think it looks stupid. Surely all the geeing up and motivation etc. should be done just before they come onto the pitch.
    I’ve actually noticed we don’t do huddles now I think it’s since McClaren started but I maybe wrong.

• 14 Average_Contents // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:30 AM

Win bar is far to high.

• 15 catchy in norway // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:34 AM

Jesper Ibiza

i get it, people have limitiations and this is never the persons fault, and i will would never have a go at a player because he is not good enough, i could never fault willo or obertan for trying, and IMO both of these did not try hard enough, willo is 6ft4 and can not head the ball, that should be his strongest thing, yet in both penalty areas he seems to hide, never attacks the ball, a sad fact, his only goal was scored by his feet, someone with his hight should get 3-6 goals a season, obertan is not good enough and he hides in games, i have huge issues with that.

My big problem with all of this is the manager, SAF would never drop a player that was good just because he fell out with him, he might try a different way to teach him a lesson, but he always put the good of the team club first, then he would shift the player on at first opertunity. our manager had options to play instead of willo, but never took them, dummett proved to be a capable CB much better than Willo, Yanga, curtis good were brought in and not used, this is a manager problem not a player problem, both play for his country so they can not be that bad.

in recent years our team has never been a team made of the best players in there best position, its been made with players who do not fight or argue, happy to play anywhere, and this is a thing that bugs me when i hear P45 come out and say he is a winner, he is far from a winner, winners dont accept the treatment he supposedly got form above, he accpted it, and a wanted his players to be in the same mould..

we lost to many good players for nothing, his loser attitude

• 16 The overrated Frenchman // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:58 AM

jimmysmith@12. Every manager, every “toe the line” journo and club spokesperson will find reasons (never “excuses”) why their team is sat at the bottom of the table. At the end of the day talk is cheap and counts for nowt. At some point a line has to be drawn even if it’s just symbolic. A sending off, missed chances, a player injured – none of that will wash if we lose to Bournemouth. Something should be changed before it’s just too late and it all becomes set in stone – and we drop like one.

• 17 lesh // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:02 AM

What’s brought on the nostalgia trips?

Pardew, HBA…… Who’s next, Marcellino?

• 18 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:09 AM

Ibiza..send me a message mate if you want me to write that in English as well 😀

• 19 Jib // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:10 AM

This is the Team for tomorrow lunchtime.
    Kevin M’Babu will be the most important players on the bench as he can cover all back 4 positions and Janmaat and Dummett are both carrying niggles.

• 20 anthc // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:11 AM

The typical newcastle after some good performances will probably be garbage and lose the Bournemouth game, a game we need to win imo. We do it time after time though play well against teams above us then crumble against teams below us when we expect a win.
    I agree the football has been better but I’d take a scrappy unconvincing win tomorrow. We’re approaching the half way point and have nowhere near the points needed.
    Steve needs to stop his politician talk and get results or we may swap places with his previous club.

• 21 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:12 AM

Lilongwe…I have to admit that from reading your reply to me the first time it was not clear at all that you got it the first time…

…it’s the same with Ibiza’s reply.

I still mean what I said and if there’s a need we can it up as a blog subject?

• 22 martoon // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:13 AM

The overrated Frenchman – I agree Bournemouth is a ‘must win’ game but if we don’t I think it’s a bit early for sacking the manager. If we did I can’t think of anybody out there at the moment who could replace him?

• 23 The overrated Frenchman // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:16 AM

Completely off topic. Pick your best EPL 11, based on this season. Then second best, third best etc. Be objective, and see how far you have to go to get a Newcastle player in. Windjalum got in to my eighth best team, our first entry.

• 24 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:19 AM

Catchy…I get your sentiment mate.

As with everything in life I do believe one should be responsible for oneself and not rely on the collective to do that for you.

The safety net is there when all else fails.

Willo only have himself to blame for his shortcomings…I don’t champion ’em and I don’t excuse ’em. When I watch football I expect a certain level – and I am not speaking of commitment. Some players can get away with only 80% and some cannot even get away with a 150%.

• 25 Jib // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:20 AM

The overrated Frenchman // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:58 AM

“Something should be changed before it’s just too late and it all becomes set in stone – and we drop like one.”

Very dramatic , but well removed from the reality of a constantly changing and improving situation plus the next window opens 7 weeks today.

• 26 JDdubai // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:20 AM

Anyone seen Toonbrother since we kept the clean sheet with Colo playing?

• 27 AncientC // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:28 AM

If we don’t beat Bournemouth on Saturday – we will be heading towards another appalling statistic. It will be 1 away win in 1 calendar year.

Not that 2 wins (including home games) in the last 22 league games is much better.

Time to get off this slippery slope, pronto.

• 28 Jib // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:30 AM

The overrated Frenchman
    I’d love to see the 14 or so EPL midfielders you rate ahead of Wijnaldum

• 29 Munster Mag // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:38 AM

Lil, you totally misunderstood my analysis of Pardew yesterday and felt that I was saying he’s a good coach. I dont . I just dont think he deserved the levels of abuse he got on this site. Particularly during his good spell. I mean, when you read Ancient C saying ….” why should we give Pardew any credit for 5th ” ….it really does show you how stupid some of the people are in this discussion. I dont rate Martinez hugely, although his teams are easier on the eye.

• 30 Jail for Ashley // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:41 AM

So can Willo be blamed for the club not accepting a perfectly good offer of 2M pounds for him ?

• 31 Jail for Ashley // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:47 AM

Ffs man, there were about five or six people that regularly abused him and wouldn’t give him credit for anything, are you going to harp on about them forever. The sackpardew mob/crew/shower/rabble were perfectly right to want rid of him, if he was still here cups would still not be priotity, at least not publicly and we’d be facing the same horrible depressing January with fifteen points in the bag already and safety only a few more wins and draws away from being able to sell someone in January.

• 32 Munster Mag // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:50 AM

Tomorrow is a bit of a watershed moment in some ways i think. If we lose by, say, two goals to Bournemouth, I dont think SMC can have much time left, particularly if we play badly. Apparently he talked a lot of PR and management guff at Forest aswell and they were still poor because he couldnt coach results out of a limited bunch of players. I think we will draw tomorrow, 2-2, but just hope we can sneak a win to give “the group” ( yawn ) the belief and impetus needed, and relieve Schteve of some pressure.

• 33 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:52 AM

Jail…what has that got to do with what I said?

You are drawing parallels that have nothing to do with one and another.

• 34 AncientC // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Munster Mag, I went into some detail, as to my reasoning why I believe Pardew is undeserving of the credit for getting the club to 5th place. It was not good management that got us to 5th place, it was more circumstantial… feel free to read over my post again.

I shall stick to backing up my views with evidence, you may go back to calling other bloggers who disagree with you ‘stupid’ and persist with your fallacious arguments.

• 35 Ibizatoon // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Jesper…I’ll have another read later and get back to you. If I try now, I’ll make even less sense than normal.

• 36 Munster Mag // Nov 6, 2015 at 10:54 AM

Jail, far more than 5 blokes, far far more. They are just the ones who still bang an about him, and cant accept any good stuff. I’d better stop before I am seen as an evangelical pardew fan – believe me i’m not , and dont particularly even like the guy or rate him , but the website was vindictive and spineless, written by guys who wouldnt identify themselves. Anyway, its rich that you go on about me, when you have been boring us about Ash for so long. How about we both change the record? Deal ?

• 37 AncientC // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:02 AM

The ‘sackpardew’ website creator/creators were spineless because they wanted to remain unnamed. Perhaps they wanted to avoid legal action.

It is good to see some camaraderie with your fellow fans, over a past manager with no links to the club, that you do not rate.

• 38 Munster Mag // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:03 AM

Ancient, evidence? What evidence? If you are happy to accept the evidence that we were nearly relegated, you must accept the evidence that we got 5th and did quite well in Europa. Thats evidence. You dont get 5th in the prem league for being crap. Or lucky. The season is too long to survive on luck. So you are quick to lambast someone for failure, but ” why should we give credit for 5th ” . Completely illogical. Its impossible for most of you to accept that Pardew was a below average or possibly average manager who did well in spells, did bloody awful in spells, and left us mid table where he found us. Is it that difficult to accept the facts of the league positioning ? And to re-iterate for the 100th time, I dont think he;s a particularly good coach, and i dont want him back.

• 39 Munster Mag // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:07 AM

Ancient, call it cameraderie or whatever u like , I just believe in fairness and logic. I dont believe in killing a manager for nearly relegating us, and ignoring 5th place ( yes i know chelsea and liverpool werent as good as normal ) and a decent europa showing. There may be no point talking to brick walls re this but i dont accept lambasting anyone, player or manager, without lookimng at the full picture. Jeez maybe i’m just a nice guy .

• 40 Munster Mag // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:12 AM

If there is one manager i do hate, its Fat Sam, but I was happy to have him when he got the job, because i felt the club needed a more scientific appraoch to injuries and a strong personality. So it shows what I know! Mind you, I think in his first game, or first telavised game I say ( Villa? ) , from KO, we passed it back once, then our striker Martins (?) sprinted towards their corner flag, and out midfielder lumped it long for him. It went out of play I think, but like a rugby team, we were deep in their territory. It was amazing to watch. Apologies if some of that details is hazy or incorrect.

• 41 The overrated Frenchman // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:14 AM

Jib, I’d just say go through the process if you have some time to kill. A lot of the teams above us clearly have a couple of midfielders each who really have more of a body if work than Gini. (and there are quite a few teams above us eh) I’d credit him with four proper good games so far if I’m honest. His goals count for sure, but in a sense they flatter his performances as a whole. It’s not science anyway, just a diversion, something to amuse myself.

• 42 AncientC // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:17 AM

Munster Mag, you do not call finishing in 5th place with a goal difference of +5 a lucky finish? Especially when the side was winning games against the run of play.

If you can find me another Premier League club that finished 5th or higher with a +5 goal difference, whilst being dominated by other sides and winning agames against the rule of play – in the same season – I will hold my hands up.

Pardew has a very specific trend to his football. Lacking in possession and going on inconsistent winning/losing runs.

Liverpool and Chelsea were in transition periods. We had two strikers, 2 central midfielders and a back line all bang in form… that in itself takes quite an amount of circumstantial luck.

I am sure Pardew gave a few good team talks and was possibly good for 40 points that season, but the rest of that season was down to moments of individual brilliance, not inspired management.

Had we bossed our games and looked better than lucky for a lot of our points, I would have given Pardew credit.

• 43 geordie157 // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:22 AM

Really don’t see the point in rising Elliot tomorrow, give woodman a chance. If Elliot aggravates his injury early on that’s a sub gone which limits any chances of changing the game late on.

Unless they are thinking worst case he gets injured and darlow will be back by the next game.

I think we’ll win 3-1, can see wijnaldum running the show and mitrovic scoring a couple.

• 44 Lindisfarne // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:23 AM

kakaobi // Nov 6, 2015 at 9:20 AM
    What!! Newcastle to win is drunk or on drugs haha of course they should win especially on paper but unfortunately we have to play on grass
    Can not understand the benefit of the players being stoned?!!

• 45 Thump // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:26 AM

@Lindisfarne: It’s worked well for Nile… oh, yeah, that’s right…

• 46 Jib // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:38 AM

AncientC // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:17 AM

If you can find me another Premier League club that finished 5th or higher with a +5 goal I will hold my hands up.

Get your hands up bonny lad

Tottenham 5th — plus 5 GD

• 47 Jib // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:42 AM

In 2006/7 Spurs got 5th place with GD of 3 !!!

• 48 toonking // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:46 AM

That season when we’d finished 5th could well have been down to good luck and then it hits back on us with a following season jam packed with bad luck

1. not pardew’s fault the squad doesn’t get summer signings, ashley has full control therefore it’s bad luck.

2. not pardew’s fault the team itself was chopping and changing week in week out and had as many as 7 different captains. he had bad luck with injury, fitness and suffering an injury record that was two times as bad as the second most injury hit team!

3. Not pardew’s fault he put so much attention into a europa league campaign, fans wanted a great run. so bad luck he’s got more games and europa league campaigns seem to always make life difficult for a PL team.

• 49 martoon // Nov 6, 2015 at 11:55 AM

Well done Jib @46 I knew we could rely on you 🙂 Actually in the same table Liverpool in 6th place only had +4 so it does happen.
    I have to say I agree with Munster that Pardew was not as bad a manager as some make out but I think we can all agree his brand of football is not great to watch!

• 50 reilly // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:01 PM

who cares what happened a few seasons ago under a manager that is no longer here.
    move on ffs

• 51 bladeuser // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:02 PM

If we lose Tom SMAC should b sacked
    R u not sick of his excuses it will b to late waiting for Jan and the transfers u think we will get this wally will take us to the brink he wis and was never the answer

• 52 Jib // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:06 PM

Cheers Martoon

• 53 toonking // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:07 PM

The GD itself at the time was low but tottenham themselves have had a few single digit GD thesemselve.

06/07 GD 3
    10/11 GD 9
    14/15 GD5

You also got a number of times in the last decade where the points difference between 5th and 6 was less than a win and 6th place itself had low GD

5 liverpool GD 11 points 58
    6 bolton GD 5 points 58

spurs GD 15 points 65
    blackburn GD 9 points 63

everton GD 18 points 63
    villa GD 6 points 62

spurs GD 5 points 64
    liverpool GD 4 points 62

In general terms pardew did do a great job that season, he had a short bit of luck from a poor chelsea and liverpool team but the good thing he did was take the greatest of advantages with that and got newcastle 5th place. The general game was like that of most teams who finish 6th-7th

• 54 martoon // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:09 PM

bladeuser @51 – Ok, so who would you like to see as a replacement for McClaren then?

• 55 John Tudor // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:10 PM

google stato

• 56 John Tudor // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:11 PM

Jack Shit in

• 57 AncientC // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:18 PM

Jib, I believe you missed some of my post. I will repeat it for you. (Good find though)

“If you can find me another Premier League club that finished 5th or higher with a +5 goal difference, whilst being dominated by other sides and winning games against the rule [sic] of play – in the same season”

• 58 Average_Contents // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:20 PM

Who gives a toss about a manager who is no longer here and loved himself that much that he declared himself “the king”?

Obviously some cannot get over the fact he LEFT US.

FFS, he’s gone, deal with it.

• 59 Mag52 // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:29 PM

I’ll make one point about the fifth place finish Ancient, and that is that when you dismiss Pardew’s efforts to get us to that exalted position in the premiership as lucky, jammy, based on out of this world goals, and basically undeserved, what you are also doing is dismissing the efforts of that team, some of whom are still on the playing staff, who battled to get us into the Europa cup competition the following season, and, incidentally, performed creditably in that competition.
    You are disparaging a team which achieved more than most of our teams in recent years, the players in which probably see that season as their pinnacle of achievement in the toughest league of all.

• 60 AncientC // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:32 PM

Mag52, I am actually giving the team credit for outperforming the tactics used by a poor manager.

• 61 lewiscobb_ // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:36 PM

Mitrovic to score anytime, heard it here first. Way too powerful and has way too much for a very average Bournemouth defence to handle.

• 62 cyprus // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:37 PM

Sorry went to work. I get what you say. I don’t like Black strutting around post match myself.

The thing about a huddle is it shows all concerned, including fans and the opposition, that we are a team – I like it. Think what the haka does to the opposition…

• 63 Mister Tuff // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:37 PM

King Percy “love in “——– really boring now. The eel pie platoon it seems will not be silenced.
    Just STFU.

• 64 Jib // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:41 PM

According to the Italian press Nigel de Jong (30) is out of favour at Milan.

The defensive midfielder is on about £3million pa but would take drop to get playing time in.

NUFC and Spurs are supposed to be sniffing around.

Milan gave him a 2 year extension only last June so it’s a strange one.

Whether the SJP faithful would accept the breaker of HBA’s leg is also debatable

• 65 cyprus // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:43 PM

Jib, that’s the guy? No man, no thanks.

• 66 Mag52 // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:52 PM

Nothing compared to your boring juvenile comments.

• 67 Jail for Ashley // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:55 PM

It has everything to do with what you said, you actually said Willo has himself to blame for his shortfalls, and I said can he blame himself for the club turning down an offer from a Championship club where he’d be better suited. Very relevant I think.

• 68 Jail for Ashley // Nov 6, 2015 at 12:56 PM

De Jongs should be banned from SJP !

• 69 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:09 PM

Dont go on this blog for a week and we are back on Pardew!?!? BORING !!!

Just hope we get the win tomorrow and get out the bottom 3 so the neggers can shut up for a couple of weeks

• 70 Mister Tuff // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:10 PM

Mug52 – if you love King Percy that much get yourself away down to Palace – you’ll be amongst friends. As a bonus at half time you’ll be able to buy a slice of eel pie and have a “knees up” with other Palace supporters to the tunes of Chas n’ Dave – “Knees up Mother Brown” and “Rabbit”.

Don’t let King Percy see your slice of eel pie – or he’ll be across and eat it – declaring “I am the King”.

• 71 John Tudor // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:13 PM

loose to Bournemouth

that’s the biscuit for me

• 72 Thump // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:15 PM

@Jib: In all fairness he’s a quality player (when he keeps his feet down), and if it’s a choice between him and Tiote…

• 73 John Tudor // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:19 PM

Jib // Nov 2, 2015 at 9:12 AM

John Tudor
    That’s quite a long post for you !
    Still utter bollix like , best return to short one in future 🙂
    so heres probably my last comment if that happens
    the blog will left to jib jane welshie and all the other scathing remark making detritus that is left on it to live in hope ,nay cloud cuckoo land

• 74 Our Toon // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:26 PM

Well my mate whose a palace fan is getting concerned that they’ve only scored once in the last 4 or 5 games from open play. With all the attacking options they’ve got they seem to be struggling for goals from open play.

We finished 5th which was a fantastic achievement no doubt about it, look back at that season though and you’ll see some of the best goals scored in our history….Cisse, HBA and Ba were on fire. If 5th was repeated then I’d speak of pardew highly but it’s the first amd last time in his career he’ll ever reach those heights, he should thank the very players he isolated in getting him there

• 75 Our Toon // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:30 PM

Bournemouth are still a decent side and need to be respected, I don’t get this must win rubbish. We’ve improved alot in my eyes from the last international break to now!! It’s still a work in progress and sacking a manager now smacks of desperation, not only will it set us back but also the players!! Patience is key, results haven’t been great but performances haven’t been bad recently. The time to worry is when performances and results are woeful!!

• 76 Jib // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:30 PM

I really think when folk talk about open play they should differentiate between set pieces (free kicks and corners ) and penalties.
    A penalty if you think about it is usually the culmination of a piece of open play.

• 77 Jib // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:33 PM

Leave the sack a manager a season philosophy to the Mackems it seems to work for their modest ambitions .

• 78 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:37 PM

In terms of Bournemouth I actually think it will be quite a battle as they will fancy their chances against us especially if Elliott is in goal !!

I would be hitting shots from distance to test his mobility from kick off if I was Bournemouth

They cant defend though so its up to Perez , Mitrovic and Wijnaldum to finish their dinner for a change !!

Wonder if De Jong will start tomorrow ?

• 79 Mister Tuff // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:38 PM

Those with a proper knowledge of football will know what open play is. Those who do not will need an explanation and then change their game to netball.
    Really shows the limits of relying on Google – in the absence of personal knowledge.

• 80 Rotonda heights // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:40 PM

you really are a stuck record. Some awful meanies didn’t give pardy his due when we came 5th. I bet you’re a riot at parties. Do you find people making excuses to be somewhere when talking to you? You must be the one Irish person who doesn’t get the ”craic”.

• 81 reilly // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:52 PM

if people are going to bang the pardew drum,dont cherry pick the best bits of his time here look at all his time here.

• 82 Our Toon // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:55 PM

Strange comment you made, if you think about it corners also a corner is also usually the culmination of a piece of open play which resulted in the corner being given. Doesn’t mean it’s open play though does it?

Think about it!!

• 83 Our Toon // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:57 PM

Strange comment you made, if you think about it…… a corner is also usually the culmination of a piece of open play which resulted in the corner being given. Doesn’t mean it’s open play though does it?

Think about it!!

• 84 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Nov 6, 2015 at 1:58 PM

Speaking of corners and set plays I thought Perez delivered a lot better set pieces than Colback previously was !!

I like Colback but we looked a more solid defensive unit and had a better passing game without him

• 85 Mag52 // Nov 6, 2015 at 2:09 PM

It’s those who can’t stand Pardew who are continually bringing him into their blogs in order to hurl some abuse or accusations in his direction.
    This inevitably starts off a Pardew discussion.
    If you don’t like it, it’s in your own hands to stop it.

• 86 Mag52 // Nov 6, 2015 at 2:19 PM

If you reckon I love Pardew therefore I’d love to support Palace, by your own logic as you hated Pardew throughout the four years he was here you thus hated NUFC throughout that time.
    Does that make you a mackem or just an illogical Tufty man.

• 87 Mister Tuff // Nov 6, 2015 at 2:24 PM

Booooohooooo boooooohooooo Please don’t mention King Percy then I won’t have to defend him. Booohoooo.

When anything derogatory, however minor, is mentioned about the King -cue onslaught by the eel pie platoon/palace supporters -praising him with all manner of things. Whereas the truth of it is they are trying to bolster there mislaid support for him over the years -just to save face. Just admit it boys you got it wrong.

• 88 Mister Tuff // Nov 6, 2015 at 2:30 PM

Mugb52 – there we go – you make grand assumptions that I hate King Percy – I hate no-one.
    I believe he is a poor manager who should never have been appointed in the first place.
    Hate – is a powerful word – why do you assume/invent that because I think someone is poor at their job that automatically translates into hatred.

You need to get it into your head that it is possible to support the team and at the same time not support the regime.
    Please stop inventing things that you then attribute to others.
    I would suggest it says more about you than it does about me

• 89 Mister Tuff // Nov 6, 2015 at 2:38 PM

Whilst I’m on I see that that other paragon of truth and virtue Ian Toon appeared last night with a couple of pot shots.
    He is now saying he has been getting the ear of Palace fans so I expect a few tall stories in the coming weeks – this will just be a spin off from his old “I met some West Ham fans in the pub” stories which all had the identical theme of supporting King Percy.
    So we’ll have that to look forward to (Not).

As the Christmas Panto season season is nearly upon us I would anticipate he’ll introduce some new characters onto the blog and probably retire some others.

• 90 catchy in norway // Nov 6, 2015 at 2:45 PM

to the percy lovers

i think you guys are blind to football, because no matter what logic or how fair your think you are, the facts are there in black and whit and in colour when you watch the game.

5th place was an achievment, no doubt about it, but it was achieved in spite of P45 not becasue of him, we had a good team and he decided to play over the top of our MF and play ultra direct football, and it just so happened that we had forwards that adapted to that way.
    in that season the first half it was all Ba, the second half it was all Cisse, both were of the charts when it came to goals scored per chances, cabaye chiped in with free kicks, and HBA when he was aloud to play was just unplayable at times,

cisses goals v chesea where out of this world, but they had to be,
    ba in the second half of the season never touched the ball.
    bad managemet ot us 5th, as imo 3rd was up for grabs but P45 bottled it and settled for 5th and played so defensive it was laughable. nothing to lose your not going to get relegated push for all you can,

IMO he under achieved with what he had at his disposal, i bet even you could have done better.

i bet if you took over Barca or Madrid, you would have them top 4, would that make you a good manager ??

• 91 Jib // Nov 6, 2015 at 2:46 PM

Our Toon
    Probably didn’t express it very well.
    What I meant was penalties are mostly awarded for thwarted scoring chances (from open play) whereas free kicks and corners aren’t.
    Anyway I know what I meant.
    Think about it.

• 92 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:06 PM

Jail…those two things have nothing to do with each other what so ever…

…they might have in your world

• 93 Our Toon // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:10 PM

The pens they got weren’t from goalscoring chances, off the top of my head the one against Watford was Zaha only just got into the box to cross and the lad dived in to stop the cross but connected with Zaha. One might of been for handball from a cross so again hardly goalscoring chances. If a pen is won when a player is about to shoot or has a very good chance at scoring then I’d kind of understand where you are coming from in a warped reality but in a logical world a pen is not a goal from open play!!

• 94 Tsunki // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:14 PM

A dead ball placed for the referee to signal resumption of play is a ‘set piece’. A penalty does not have to be directed at the goal in one shot.

• 95 Tsunki // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Is that the fuse on a stick of dynamite I hear fizzing away somewhere?….

• 96 Mag52 // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:15 PM

Why do you assume/invent that because someone is ok in their job that automatically translates into love ?

• 97 Mister Tuff // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:17 PM

Jibberish – seeing that you do not know much about football -I have devised a couple of questions for you to answer.
    Please study the attached image.

Q Is this a football/soccer ball.

• 98 Jib // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:25 PM

Our Toon you miss my point entirely which is a regular occurence on this blog between posters.
    I was not even thinking of Pardews CP when I made the point.
    It was part of my ongoing frustration with modern footy relying way too much on statistics.
    Hypothetical time
    Take two teams A & B
    A and B score 100 goals each in a season
    A scores all their goals from corners and free kicks
    B scores all their goals from penalties

Which team is the more exciting to watch.

Who knows?

But according to the statisticians it’s 200 non open play goals !!!!

• 99 Mister Tuff // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:27 PM

Second Question Jibberish. Study the image.

Q is the ball in “open play” or not.

• 100 manxpie // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:35 PM

Elliott and Janmatt passed fit if anyone’s interested good news for once but can see woodman coming on at some point probably after about 2 mins knowing our luck

• 101 Munster Mag // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:36 PM

Hmm, lets work this out ….if you get 5th last, the manager its the managers fault . If you get 5th , the manager had no input , despite being the boss all season, and he’s crap . Obviously. You couldnt make it up. Oh by the way its ok for Spurs to finish 5th with a rubbish goal difference. Unless Pardew managed them – then it would be a fluke. Obviously.

• 102 Mister Tuff // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:40 PM

Jibberish – third and final question -which is a multiple choice.
    Study the image.

q how many yards from you house is the pictured Metro station?.
    a) 200yards
    b) 400 yards
    c) 500 yards.

• 103 Thump // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:41 PM

@Manxpie: I honestly wouldn’t risk him (unless McClaren is desperate to go for Valdes on loan). Woodman is more than capable, let’s give him a chance.

• 104 AncientC // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:41 PM

The only reason you would not get a real impression of a game from statistics, is if you do not have in depth stats.

McClaren (and many other managers including Wenger) uses ‘Prozone’ which gives a lot more information than the average fan can get from reading football websites.

“Prozone had developed a proprietary player-tracking software which, fed by eight cameras around the pitch, would output a two-dimensional bird’s-eye animation of a football match. The machine could track each player’s movement every 0.1 seconds, registering an average of 3,000 touches of the ball per game, and provide an answer to a range of statistical questions.”

The old “there are lies, damned lies and statistics” is Luddite type thinking.

• 105 Munster Mag // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:42 PM

Catchy, if Fat Sam managed Ream Ladrid they would win it every year. You know that cos he said it.

• 106 Munster Mag // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:43 PM

And if he managed Real Madrid he would win it too 🙂

• 107 Mag52 // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:44 PM

You’ve cracked it Munster. It’s the logic of the madhouse.

• 108 lesh // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:44 PM

Well, well

Klipperty Klopp’s onto his third win on the trot (:D) after last night’s result.

If only…… Ah but then again, going after Klopp would’ve been a tad ambitious for Ashley’s liking!

• 109 Mister Tuff // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:44 PM

always get a good laugh on here – currently the eel pie platoon are floundering about like beached whales trying to praise King Percy.
    When will their love in stop. What a bunch of tools, nay Sir, complete tools.

• 110 Munster Mag // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:46 PM

And to clarify AGAIN, none of the guys who suggest balance on Pardews record are big pardew fans as far as i can see – I’m not anyway. I was pleased to get a new manager and Pardew should have been sacked after the headbutt.

• 111 Mister Tuff // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:48 PM

Moanster and Mug52 – the only thing that’ll silence you boys about King Percy is an extra slice of eel pie stuffed into your gobs.
    comedy Gold -F*****g hilarious. You cannot make this stuff up.

• 112 sparky55 // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:53 PM

for the avoidance I can categorically confirm I absolutely and unconditionally HATED Mr Pardew 🙂

….just in case there was any doubt!

• 113 sparky55 // Nov 6, 2015 at 3:53 PM

for the avoidance of doubt

• 114 Munster Mag // Nov 6, 2015 at 4:36 PM

Mr Tuff, you need to travel a bit more mate

previous post: Sky Sports Pundit Has Good News For Newcastle Fans