The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Banner created by Reilly - one of our readers
Howay The Lads!!

Newcastle Star Player Still Enjoying His Football

8:48 am, Saturday, November 7th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 11 Comments

Gini Wijnaldum exploded a few weeks ago when he scored four great goals in our 6-2 win against Norwich City – one of the newly promoted clubs – and we could do with a similar win today at Bournemouth – who are in the Premier League for the very first time this season.

That would help take Newcastle out of the bottom three in the league and also raise the morale of the Newcastle fans.

Gini Wijnaldum four goals

Gini Wijnaldum – four goals against Norwich City

Gini has been interviewed and has that although Newcastle’s position in the league is not good at the moment he still is enjoying his football on Tyneside.

But he does say he likes to play through the middle as he did against Norwich but he is being played out wide on the left at the moment by head coach Steve McClaren.

This is what the talented Dutch International – who turns 25 on Wednesday – has said today:

“I’m enjoying my football – I still feel a lot of pleasure.” “Sometimes that’s strange because the team as a whole is not going so well; we’ve not been getting the points we’ve wanted, but I can still take pleasure from playing.”

“That’s important because when I’m enjoying myself I play better.”  “If I start worrying about the league position and say ‘Oh no, where are we in the rankings’, it will affect my performance and I won’t let that happen.”

“I prefer it in the middle because I think I can influence the game more there and score more goals.” “If you look at the game against Norwich, three of my four goals came from the middle and the last one came from the left.”

“I have a better feeling playing through the middle, but the trainer has asked me to do something different and that’s what I’m doing. He’s the boss and he decides.”

“At the moment, he thinks it’s best for me to be on the left and that’s fine, although I have a better feeling in the middle.”

“Probably every player will say they have somewhere they prefer but you can’t always be there and it’s the manager who is the one who decides.”

“You have to listen to that and I will still be doing the best wherever I play.”

We hope we see Gini in his best form today on the south coast because somehow we have to pick up 3 points.

What we want to be talking about after the game today are the 3 points and not the reasons why we have once again been unable – for whatever reason this week – to get the win.

Howay The Lads!!

How Will Newcastle Fare At Bournemouth?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Tags: Coaching · Georginio Wijnaldum · Newcastle News · Poll · Premier League · Press

11 responses so far ↓

• 1 jimmysmith // Nov 7, 2015 at 8:53 AM

Poor Ed! Sadly afflicted. Your readers a still in bed mate. Give it up, for an hour or so HWTL.

• 2 sing in the corner // Nov 7, 2015 at 8:54 AM

‘Gini Wijnaldum exploded a few weeks ago…’ Jeez,will this injury curse ever end? Any return date yet Ed?

• 3 AncientC // Nov 7, 2015 at 8:56 AM

Discontent already. Slightly worrying from our best player.

• 4 sing in the corner // Nov 7, 2015 at 8:59 AM

Paracetamol / lemsip dosing, ready for dragging my sorry ass off the man-flu ridden sick bed to the pub for lunchtime. Force down a couple of medicinal real ales while watching us do a professional number on Bournemouth… Gotta be done!

• 5 firebug666 // Nov 7, 2015 at 9:02 AM

AncientC

I think if McClaren gets his wish, and brings in a winger or two in January, then Wijnaldum will get his wish too.

At the moment we don’t have any decent wingers that would allow Wijnaldum to play in the middle.

• 6 Lindisfarne // Nov 7, 2015 at 9:04 AM

sing in the corner

Spreading the love / lurgy

• 7 Munster Mag // Nov 7, 2015 at 9:05 AM

Is our game on the box? Feck i dont have BT.

• 8 sing in the corner // Nov 7, 2015 at 9:11 AM

Lindis
    Ah it’s alright mate,the nearest tavern is a bit of a makem haunt usually so i don’t feel too guilty

• 9 Lindisfarne // Nov 7, 2015 at 9:21 AM

firebug666

What type of Wingers is Schteve wanting?

With a 442 formation more traditional flankers on the outside of Sissoko and Gini in midfield, offers more protection for the fullbacks providing greater defensive stability as they will not be required to create width in attack. But the team will definitely require a more able CD to partner Mbemba as the midfield will be more porous and be able to play the ball out from the back.

With a 433 formation, the wide positions will be more attacking / second striker roles with Socks and Gini in a midfield three with a more defensive other. The team would be a more dynamic attacking force but can also be exposed against better or well drilled teams.

• 10 firebug666 // Nov 7, 2015 at 9:29 AM

Lindisfarne

As far as the type of wingers he’s wanting, that will depend, (as you point out) on the system and tactics he is going to play.

We need wide men who can cross the ball, or cut inside. Gini wants to play through the middle, and I suspect that McClaren is looking to grant his wish, as according to reports he wants wingers and a CB in January.

• 11 TudorCrisps // Nov 7, 2015 at 9:58 AM

I would play thauvin on the left today with Gini in the middle

previous post: These Fringe Players Will Get Their Chance At Newcastle