The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

It’s Official – Striker Leaves Newcastle For Barnsley

1:57 pm, Monday, November 9th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 15 Comments

We had reported yesterday there were various reports that 19 year-old Ivan Toney would be joining struggling League One club Barnsley on a 28 day youth loan – and that’s today been made official by Newcastle United.

Ivan Toney – on loan to Barnsley

This is what has been put on the Newcastle web-site:

Newcastle United striker Ivan Toney has joined League One side Barnsley on a 28-day youth loan.

The highly-rated 19 year-old arrived at St. James’ Park from Northampton Town in August and heads to Oakwell as he continues his development.

Toney made his first team debut for the Magpies as a substitute against his former club in the Capital One Cup in August before making his first Premier League appearance against Chelsea in September

A regular scorer for Newcastle United’s Under-21 side, he was also named September’s Barclays Under-21 Premier League Player of the Month.

The only thing we were not too sure about yesterday was the length of the loan but it is only for 28 days so both sides can see how it goes.

Ivan is highly rated at Newcastle and now we need to see Ivan doing what Adam Armstrong is doing at Coventry – scoring lots and lots of goals.

Looks like a good move for Ivan to give hin some first team games.

Tags: Coaching · Ivan Toney · Newcastle News · Newcastle U21 · Newcastle Youth · Other News · Premier League

15 responses so far ↓

• 1 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Not convinced this is the best option. If there were Championship clubs interested, as alleged last week then surely we could have found a see that wasn’t struggling so badly for form in League 1.

• 2 Reyantoon // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:06 PM

Hmmm,no infact Elliot won us 7 points 🙂

• 3 banjax // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:12 PM

Just reading that De Jong is talking about a return to Holland. No doubt it has been a frustrating time for him due to some serious injuries. But as Newcastle have supported him including paying his wages I would expect him to show the same loyalty to the club. Be patient Siem and show some respect for the club.

• 4 Ibizatoon // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:13 PM

Lil…I was thinking about this recently. I imagine, but haven’t really looked in to it, that in general it’s usually struggling teams looking for loans at this stage of the season?

• 5 toon kk // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:14 PM

Its good Toney is going to play for a league 1 side, more his level. It where half of our squad belong.

• 6 Our Toon // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:17 PM

I saw Elliott kick the ball out if play 3 times on saturday!! Not sure how is distribution is good, I also saw alot of flapping with punches when in all reality catching was a better option. He had a good game but they didn’t force him to make an outstanding save!!

Reminds me of the LB debacle a few years back, plenty saying Santon was awful and dummett was better because of a few games dummett played. Then it was Haidara’s turn he was the answer because dummett and Santon were awful, I personally think Santon is better than both of them and I’d say most fans would agree!!

• 7 Our Toon // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:17 PM

Championship would be a better option and not league 1.

• 8 JDdubai // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:18 PM

I dont really see where SDJ fits in, unless we go back to the dreaded 1 up front. He is a 10, doesnt do the physical stuff to handle being a CM in a 2 man CM from what iv seen of him in the past, doesnt pressure players or chase/harry them.

And I think if we go with anyone next to Mitro then it needs to be a little nippy, skilful player like Perez or a Bellamy type rather than a slow, jogging playmaker. In an ideal world, Armstrong keeps developing and takes that partner role with Mitrovic next season or the season after.

Nice player if he gets a run of games, but i think the 442 has shown us the way forward now, enough of the 1 up front from the past 3 seasons.

• 9 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:21 PM

Not always. Sheff Utd have just taken Cobain on loan from us, and they aren’t struggling. Sometimes clubs look for injury cover, or just to bolster an area of the team that hasn’t clicked. The papers said three Championship clubs were after him last week, if that is the case surely an mid table League 1 club would have been open to the opportunity. 28 days at a team struggling for form as badly as Barnsley could be more detrimental then beneficial to him.

• 10 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:26 PM

At the end of the day you can only send him where people actually want him, but Burton, Bradford and Southend are all struggling for goals, if we couldn’t get interest in him from those three then it is very disappointing.

• 11 Ibizatoon // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:31 PM

Lil…Fair enough, as I said, was just a thought rather than something I’d looked in to.

Was just wondering whether our options are being limited by dilly dallying in deciding who should be out on loan or not.

I’d like to say that I’m sure that if there were better options available to the club, they’d have taken them, but you know where I stand on that.

I’m taking the view that first team / competitive football will do the lad better than playing with the development squad, but am well aware of the negative this move could have on him. Fingers crossed it works out well.

• 12 Lilongwe Geordie // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:38 PM

I would generally agree, but in this case I’m not convinced. Still, we shall wait and see. 28 days isn’t long, so they can’t do too much damage!

• 13 Ibizatoon // Nov 9, 2015 at 2:41 PM

Lil…Ha, you may well live to regret that last line!

• 14 lesh // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:42 PM

I would have thought he’d have been better off going to a side that’s on a roll, not struggling like Barnsley appear to be.

He needs to score goals to build his confidence up, not be demoralised by poor form.

• 15 cyprus // Nov 9, 2015 at 9:49 PM

Reading past posts I guess we agree to disagree Lil, regarding Siss and HBA. So I will move on

previous post: Newcastle Could Sign Manchester United Midfielder In January