The Newcastle United Blog

The Newcastle United Blog header image 2
Howay The Lads!!

Midfield Star Hints At Leaving Newcastle

3:16 pm, Monday, November 9th, 2015 by Dr. Ed Harrison · 77 Comments

Luuk de Jong had a tough time of things when he was on loan at Newcastle last season and he played 12 times for us but didn’t manage to score a goal.

His brother Siem arrived last year and he had a tough season in his first year at the club because of injuries, but he is now fully fit but has played 9 times for us this season with one goal.

Siem De Jong +York+City+v+Newcastle+United+9b8hZflU_tZl

Siem de Jong – finding it tough at Newcastle

Both Siem de Jong and Gini Wijnaldum have been talking on a Dutch web-site and Siem volunteered that he  will consider a return to Holland if he can’t win a regular place in the Newcastle first team.

This s what Siem has said on the  Dutch website NOS:

“If things don’t go my way, a return to Holland is certainly an option. I have always loved life in my own country.”

“Luuk obviously didn’t set a great example. It crosses my mind at times to return to the Netherlands, but I will do my utmost and give my best to succeed here. And club officials have intimated they want me to stay.”

“I could very well have picked up those injury with Ajax as well but it’s very disappointing I was struck with injury woe at my new club.”

“We have a new manager and a new manager wants new players. I can only show my skills when I play.”

A year last January the plan was to bring both de Jong brothers to Newcastle, but with Luuk not doing well they passed on the younger brother but we paid out £6M for Siem on a six-year contract.

We still hope that Siem can come through and it reflects well on the 26 year-old that he is willing to play for the U21 side so he can get match practice and try to get as fit as possible.

Siem is a very good player and if does return to Holland we are sure he will do very well.

His brother Luuk joined PSV last year after his failure at Newcastle and he has 42 goals in 61 appearances including 15 goals in 16 appearances for PSV this season – that puts the reigning Dutch Champions in second place in the Eredivisie 2 points behind Ajax.

We’d love for Siem de Jong stay at Newcastle and become a (very) good player for us – but on the other hand if he cannot do that this season – it’s better for Siem to leave and maybe return to Holland to get his career back on track.

Gini Wijnamdum says he is willing to give up playing in the Champions League every season because the Premier League is such a high standard and he thinks he can become a much better player playing in England.

Tags: Georginio Wijnaldum · Luuk de Jong · Newcastle News · Premier League · Press · Siem de Jong

77 responses so far ↓

• 1 optimistic prime // Nov 9, 2015 at 3:51 PM

I’ve not been to impressed with the squads fitness as a whole so far this season.

SDJ looks the worst of the lot, he’s never had pace but looks now looks like he’s moving through treacle.

He’s a talented player and I’d like to see him given a chance but at the moment he looks like he really needs some serious fitness work, at the same time he won’t get match fit unless he plays. Even Tiote looks miles better after 3/4 games so it would Surley benifit him.

Bit of a puzzle in reality and Steeve will earn his pennies solving it, hope he gets a run of 6/7 games before they think about flogging him.

• 2 JDdubai // Nov 9, 2015 at 4:01 PM

Cant see how SDJ fits into the way we seem to play best though.

He is a 10, cant play up top, cant handle a 2 man CM.our form i proved instantly when we went to. 442 vs Chelsea so cant see how he will fit in. He was bought under Pards for the 4231 crap last year.

Lets see though, tough to write a player off before he has had a good run. If he does play though, he needs pace around him to do the running.

• 3 Sazzer // Nov 9, 2015 at 4:05 PM

I think De Jong could be perfect in DM/CM for us. Sort of Lampard role alongside Tiote/Wijnaldum.

Clever players can play in multiple positions just need sometime to get used to it.

We really need to find system that allow us to play our most skillful players at the same time.

• 4 Sliema // Nov 9, 2015 at 4:32 PM

Really don’t see De Jong fitting in to this current system. He can’t play def mid because as has already been pointed out he looks like he’s running through treacle, but I wouldn’t fancy him on the wing either and I defo wouldn’t be dropping Perez anytime soon.

His kind often get a bad rep when they are in a poor team. Number 10’s really need a run in a team and need that team to play a style which allows them to flourish… We still don’t do that, yet?

Still hope he comes good, he used to be classy.

• 5 catchy in norway // Nov 9, 2015 at 4:41 PM

For him to be a success , the team needs to be built around him, this will not happen though, the prem is to fast for his type of play, he needs to pick up the pace a bit and play higher up the pitch, he is a teddy sheringham style player, he worked well .

• 6 Reyantoon // Nov 9, 2015 at 4:48 PM

Send him packing,or make a deal to swap him with Davy Klaasen ! 🙂

• 7 Lee Charnley Bunga Party // Nov 9, 2015 at 4:51 PM

For De Jong to be a success we need a pacy hard working team around him so he then can play those through balls to the wings and fast strikers and he can arrive late in the box to finish off the move

He will get game time in the next few months as Mclarens first choice attack wont stay fit and I think Mitrovic and Perez are on 3 or 4 yellow cards each so chances of suspension ?

Personally thought Thauvin has done well in his last 2 sub appearances would start him at home against Leicester and drop either Tiote or Anita and move Wijnaldum into the middle

• 8 Reyantoon // Nov 9, 2015 at 4:55 PM

I see David Moyes has been sacked.It’s a matter of time now before he takes on at Sunderland as I can’t see big Sam lasts longer..

• 9 Jib // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:04 PM

If SdJ doesn’t work out we should send him back to Ajax in exchange for Daley Sinkgraven.

• 10 anthc // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:05 PM

Recoup some of the 6 mill we paid and I’d let him go in a shot.
    He seems a nice fella and probably is a good player just not suited to our league. You need pace stamina and strength in this league and I’m yet to be convinced he has any of them.

• 11 hibbitt // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:09 PM

it just makes me wonder why we ever bought him another one of carrs duds

• 12 Jib // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:23 PM

I saw one of Carr’s duds yesterday.
    He was showing Jurgen Klopp what a midfielder is 😎

• 13 JDdubai // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:34 PM

He was bought to the the 10 in Pardews 4231 crap. With the right people around him, he could be great in that formation, with 4 hardworking poeple around him in midfield.

Sadly in a 442 it wont work, we need either Perez or a quick little CF with Mitrovic. Think SDJ should move on in the summer, replace with box to box or ball playing midfielder.

Has anyone seen Afobe play for Wolves? Is he quick?

• 14 cyprus // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:42 PM

Not sure this is quite a Lampard type player. He was all energy.

Sorry didn’t answer Siss debate, had to go to work.
    Of course I’m pro Sissoko. He’s a top player, a match changer, he can smoke opponents, they back way from him. I guess if you don’t like him you probably didn’t like HBA either… or Robert… or even Ginola.

I did 🙂

• 15 Thump // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:46 PM

@cyprus: HBA, Robert, and Ginola had moments on the ball where you just had to sit back and smile. Nothing greater than seeing any of those players crowded out of the game and still managing to dribble around them all – twice – before managing to leave them in their dust.

Sissoko is not that player. He gets the ball and charges forward, sometimes doing something good. He’s at his best when others are doing the running for him and he’s arriving late in the box. The one time I thought “he’s onto something here” was against Norwich, and how much of that was poor defending?

• 16 Lucky Les // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:47 PM

Harry Enfield has a sketch where an Antique Dealer sells somewhat dodgy or broken furniture to dumb rich women at inflated prices.Substitute Ajax for the antique dealer and Carr for the dumb rich women .Anita a tiny lightweight player who was never going to be a premier league defensive midfield player being purchased for a sum in excess of £6 million and SDJ a player who had suffered from a collapsed lung sold for £6 million.Ajax saw Carr coming!

• 17 Jib // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:48 PM

He’s a flash player 🙂

Afobe flashplayer

• 18 cyprus // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:52 PM

Definitely not that calibre, agreed.
    But there is something there. We certainly don’t have enough game changers to have the ‘right’ to want to get rid of such players. Diamond – in the rough.

I understand the dichotomy, though, I do. Much like I did re HBA and Robert. Not sure how old you are, but Robert had his fair share of critics… Lazy, can’t tackle, etc., same as Siss. Even our best ever player (Ginola) was accused of the same things.

• 19 Jib // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:54 PM

I love these footy experts like Les , so dismissive and all knowing .

Did you ever see SdJ in Europe ? He was awesome and Anita was a Dutch international when we bought him.

• 20 JDdubai // Nov 9, 2015 at 5:58 PM

HBA, Robert and Ginola didnt publicly say they wanted away from the club and publicly whore themselves around to anyone who would take them.

Talent wise, im fine to keep him. But he clearly doesnt want to be here so let him just go then, for the right price obvs.

It cant be good for the squad to have one of your top players doing this 4 times a season. I guarantee either during internationals or just in Janaury he will do another interview in France about it, begging someone to get him out of here.

If you want to go then arrange it behind the scenes. Good job we have him contracted for another 3 seasons, means we should be holding out for at least 12-15m.

• 21 lochinvar // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:03 PM

Former Arsenal and Manchester City midfielder Patrick Vieira has been appointed as head coach of Major Soccer club “New……….wait for it……

…..York City ” USA.

Shucks -I was hoping he might be one for the New Year.
    Another missed opportunity.
    Thanks Mashers.
    Still Monks and Moyes waiting in the wings if it goes belly up.

• 22 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:07 PM

We are the Champions!
    Boom, boom, boom boom boom!
    We’ve won two matches!
    Boom, boom, boom boom boom!

• 23 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:09 PM

Other teams should fear us now!
    Our dreadnought defense!
    Our 2 shot attack!
    Beware Leicester!!!

• 24 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:10 PM

Jamie Vardy is shaking in his boots as we speak.

• 25 JDdubai // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:11 PM

Has anyone said anything other than we are a team now starting to go in the right direction?

• 26 cyprus // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:13 PM

And so he should mate 🙂
    Another 5-2 spanking, of course he’s concerned.

• 27 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Your Senior Official Club Journo continues to get the interviews you want most:
    G2: Jamie Vardy thanks for being here with us.
    Jamie: No problem G2. I’ve always wanted to be interviewed by one of the top people.
    G2: Ta Jamie mate. Now getting down to business how do you feel about your upcoming match against Newcastle?
    Jamie: Well G2 it fills me with trepidation. And I hate being filled that way. You look at their defense. Terrific. And their attack. Amazing. You look at their scrambly bits. Brilliant. Just a fantastic side all in all.
    G2: Ah, I see. So do you feel you have any chance at all then?
    Jamie: It’s a hard one to answer. I want to be honest but at the same time I have to be loyal to me club. Let’s just say we have a huge ask coming our way.
    G2: Well ta Jamie. I hope we can do this again sometime. There you have it mates. Jamie Vardy, humbled by the prospect of playing us!!! 😯

• 28 cyprus // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:16 PM

Can you remind of what he said? From what I remember, he said he wants CL football, he didn’t even specifically say with another team. I’m fine with that statement.

Though I may have missed a more caustic statement I admit.

• 29 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:20 PM

I think it’s sad we are so one-dimensional that it’s only 4-4-2 that works and we cannot fit Siem in.

…we all seen what happens when we loose a player!

• 30 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:22 PM

We’re on a roll now! Let’s keep it up lads! We’ll move past Chelsea next. Then it’s Norwich and Swansea. A quick bit of acceleration and we’re near mid table. People jumping on the bandwagon. Women fainting. Men weeping with joy. Small children fonging each other. Beautiful. 😆

• 31 Tsunki // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:23 PM

Where does SDJ want to go? An old folks home? I wonder if his lung problem isn’t totally behind him, not enough oxygen = very little power or stamina. Plus I bet he gets bad tempered and crotchety ha ha. Shame, I remember watching LDJ stroll out for us and thinking we got the wrong brother, I think a few on here said it as well. Evidently it didn’t matter which one we got. He did used to be good, I know I’ve watched him and he looked the real deal. Oh well.

• 32 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:24 PM

I agree JD mate! This is big! Really big!! This has huge implications for the Prem as we fly up the table. I’m even ready for 3 shots against Leicester! 😯

• 33 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:26 PM

Don’t let it bother you Tsunki mate. We have more than enough in reserve. We’ve got a full head of steam. Even Jamie Vardy is terrified of us!

• 34 Tsunki // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:26 PM

Hang on what’s he saying, he could have picked up injuries at ajax as well? What? Like a collapsed lung? Yes I’m sure you can get them pretty much anywhere. Hmmm.

• 35 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:26 PM

In fact I’ve never seen a club with a fuller head steamwise. This is very exciting!

• 36 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM

I hope both Anita and Siem come good just to show up posters like Lucky Les for what they really are!

…I bet he thinks Colback is a better player than Anita!

• 37 Tsunki // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:27 PM

I think Jamie vardy getting level with Van Nistelrooy is a safe-ish bet.

• 38 Tsunki // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:28 PM

When the bandwagon rolls by, could somebody let me know?

• 39 cyprus // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:30 PM

Congrats to Luuk BTW.

I admit I was fooled by him, I dismissed him yet he’s scoring for fun now.

• 40 optimistic prime // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:31 PM

Jamie Vardy is having a party and the Toon are invited.

2-1 to us, double celebration.

• 41 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:34 PM

A lot of you are hanging back waiting for us to win a few more matches. Well I’m not!!! I’m getting right at it! We’re going all the way to top 8 with Magic Man Steve! We’re on a wild thrill ride now!

• 42 Jib // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:36 PM

I wonder when Ellis Short will pedal Hippo Heid for David Moyes ?

• 43 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:37 PM

Even Lilli Von Schtupp, the Teutonic Titwillow is on the band wagon now! This is beautiful. This is twue. Vewy vewy twue!

• 44 Lucky Les // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:38 PM

Do you think any other premier league club would buy Anita.?Will we get our money back in the transfer market?
    Would you buy a player who had suffered a collapsed lung.Will we be able to get our money back on SDJ?
    An honest answer to these questions is “no”
    I am merely a season ticket holder of many years if that makes me a football expert that is your opinion.

• 45 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Jamie Vardy has already admitted he is terrified of us Tsunki. They have no chance. They will be crushed to pulp by our wild goal stampede. Our 1-6-3 formation will overwhelm them. Beautiful.

• 46 Tsunki // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:39 PM

Yes LDJ’s magic scoring boots lost their powers mysteriously when travelling over the Stygian waters of the English Channel.

• 47 BandB // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:40 PM

Siem De Jong was a good player. He almost certainly will be again.
    I think he was bought to be a piece of a jigsaw and the manager and the jigsaw have changed.
    I said in the summer he wouldn’t be an automatic first choice.
    He has been unfortunate with injuries and illnesses. Perez is playing where he would likely play and has formed an understanding with Mitrovic.
    All taken together it has meant he needs to fight his way back into the team which, after the way players who’d done well were jettisoned for favourites previously, is a good thing, surely.
    The catch is that to get fit and find form he needs to play.
    And even if Perez was injured or needed a rest, they might still put Wijdnaldum in there and given Thauvin another shot.
    Siem has a problem.

• 48 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:41 PM

I ask you lot in all seriosity. Have you ever seen a club with a fuller head steamwise?

• 49 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:44 PM

From what I’ve been able to gather from within the club, when Siem first arrived he began eating a lot of Stilton. Then he became very congested and even shall we say it? constipated. This depressed him. He sat around eating a lot of chocolate and lost his fitness. Then he sneezed mightily and collapsed his lung. It could have happened to anyone. Give the lad a break you lot.

• 50 Jib // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:44 PM

If you cross the English Channel from Amsterdam to the Tyne you badly need navigation lessons

• 51 Lucky Les // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:49 PM

Anita has been with us now for over two seasons.When is he going to come good?
    SDJ for over season.It would be excellent if he could show he is a premier league player but unfortunately this is not looking likely.
    What do you mean show posters “for what they really are.”?
    All bloggers are entitled to their views.

• 52 Jib // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:50 PM

Oh Dear Les
    B and B will tell you English comprehension is a little fad of mine.
    No one is denying the failure (so far) of the 2 Dutch guys in question , however you use their shortfalling as a stick to beat Carr !!!
    There is no way they were bad signings when they were made.
    You are doing what most of the clever dicks and wise guys on here do .
    You’re using the benefit of hindsight to make yourself look like some kind of sage .

• 53 GeordieTwo // Nov 9, 2015 at 6:53 PM

Very nice prediction optimate. Very tidy. I like it. 2 for the Wij. Huzzah!!!

• 54 GeordieinOhio // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:00 PM

G2…I predict …a game of footy with 90 minutes and 5 minutes stoppage time….and a win for one of the teams!

• 55 Blackstarbullet // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:02 PM

Sometimes we are a bit too hasty. Luuk De J was played as a winger and flopped but in Holland they play him at his CF position and he’s scoring goals for fun and back in the Dutch team. SDJ really does need a proper chance and not 5-10 mins now and then. The pace of our build up should suit him down to the ground as it’s woefully slow at times and lets not forget, he does have a decent football brain.

• 56 BandB // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:05 PM

I will tell you that Jib is an inane worky-ticket but, bless him, he has no self-awareness and is something of a Duracell Bunny when it comes to bouncing back. Harder to kill than a cockroach.
    But he does have his fans, among which I include myself.
    He is a harmless buffoon who only ever hurts himself and only ever diminishes those who insist on trying to play him at his own silly games.
    In truth, I’d rather have him than a dozen of his creepy fellow-travellers.
    Whenever people say “are you still reading that stupid blog?” I always think of Jib, and remind myself that in many ways he its most perfectly evolved contributor.

• 57 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:09 PM

Les…for starter lets give Siem a run and play something else than 4-4-2 and see what happens.

• 58 Jib // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:12 PM

B and B
    My form master at school called me
    “an intellectual village idiot”
    Still makes me chuckle after all these years 🙂

• 59 Lucky Les // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:23 PM

My views were only in relation to our dealings with Ajax.
    Carr did well with some of his french signings especially Cabaye
    My views on SDJ have been held from day one but I hope I am wrong.Serious non footballing illness is always a cause for concern but I appreciate the Club will have relied on medical advice..

• 60 sing in the corner // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:24 PM

.’ As for Anita the problem seems to be for British supporters such as yourself. The continental posters such as I prefer Anita to Colback almost any day of the week!

In a world bloated with sweeping generalisations, that is right up there! Good effort!

• 61 John Tudor // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:27 PM

wrong just a village idiot armed with google

• 62 jesperfuglsang - capt'n awesome of the lemon crew // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:27 PM

Sing…if you don’t understand the use of a generalization then help you God!

…are you one of those politically correct people?

• 63 Mister Tuff // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:35 PM

looks like the intellect has remained stationary but there seems to have been progress in your other attribute.
    Get in!

• 64 BandB // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:40 PM

There’s nothing worse, is there, than leaving a punchline hanging, and having some nit fill it in?

• 65 BandB // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:48 PM

Your heart is in the right place, and I thank you for all the times when you stuck up for me when no-one else would.
    You have been one of the good guys round here.
    So please shut up.

• 66 geordieboy83 // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:53 PM

Geordie 2

You must be super bored lol, I’m sure I just saw you chat the same stuff word for word on another blog

• 67 Toon Tang // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:53 PM

DeJong’s on permanent tea break. Make him crapper brews and he’ll be on that pitch quicker than Pavarotti after a custard slice.

• 68 Toon Tang // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:55 PM

Which blog geordieboy83 ?

I need a second helping of toon ‘BANTZ’

• 69 geordieboy83 // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:58 PM

In my opinion in terms of talent, ability etc! De Jong and wijnaldum are light years ahead of the rest. Maybe Perez. It’ll be a sad day for me if we don’t get to see de Jong show his worth, an absolute waste to let him go. I was overjoyed to sign him, and until he has 4 or 5 games in a row nobody can truly say he ain’t good enough

• 70 AncientC // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:59 PM

According to ‘transfermarkt,’ Jack Colback’s transfer value is nearly twice that of Vurnon Anita’s. I prefer Colback myself, but he should be a 3rd choice CM for a side with any ambitions of top 8 and beyond.

• 71 geordieboy83 // Nov 9, 2015 at 7:59 PM

Toon tang

Nufcweblog I think it was called mate.

• 72 Toon Tang // Nov 9, 2015 at 8:01 PM

Cheers geordieboy83 marra

• 73 sing in the corner // Nov 9, 2015 at 8:04 PM

On the subject of midfielders…
    We have one right under our noses.
    I was in the leazes end for a change. This lad stuck out like the dog’s nuts. All action,composed on the ball,spraying passes,winning tackles. And a fabulous left foot from any distance. This was his only 1st team chance as far as I recall. Cabaye was injured. He disappeared again after this great performance, got injured. Now he’s just getting back to fitness again at Wigan. Hope he shows what he can do…

• 74 bladeuser // Nov 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Sdj will b greatly missed all those goals he has set up and scored what will we do without him
    another overrated Dutchman
    And take Anita with you why some fans rate him is beyond me he is a shocking player and before u ask no Colback is also the pits

• 75 goommy // Nov 9, 2015 at 8:46 PM

Is SDJ better than Gini or Ayoze? Or can do def job better than Tiote?

Really big question..Prove yourself dude!!

• 76 Online Guy // Nov 9, 2015 at 10:03 PM

Just reading the blog … I have the urge to bite into a Dixons Savaloy dip ..its got to be a hot one mind ..I’s there a Dixons at the Airport ? or is that greggs ? mmm

• 77 Online Guy // Nov 9, 2015 at 10:04 PM